(Topic ID: 148211)

Getaway Resetting

By Hammerhead

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Something odd is happening with my HS2 and its not similar to any resetting issue I've read here so far.

I had the game running and it just randomly reset while in attract mode. I continued to watch it, and it may randomly reset again and again. In between resets when the game is in attract mode I can hear faint static across the speakers in and out similar to the wind on a blustery day.

What's more, I see many different things with D19, D20 and D21 on the CPU board:
- most of the time it boots as it should, D19 and D21 lit, then D19 off and D20 blinking
- once I saw D19, D20 and D21 all lit for a period of time
- sometimes D19 and D21 are lit and D20 flickers randomly (not the diagnostic blink patterns) with the clicking sound like its booting

Anyone have any ideas?

#2 8 years ago

My guess is it's still a watchdog circuit problem, even though it's doing it by itself and not by the usual "Double Flipper" trick. If the caps have got to the point that they have virtually dried out, so in other words, never been replaced before then that part of the circuit could be wavering on the trigger point all the time even without the two flippers being used at the same time. I say this because my Getaway did a similar thing a year or so after i bought it, did a few random resets at first and then became more evident when the flippers were used. As for the diagnostic leds, well that's got me thinking I've not seen that on any of my machines as yet. The static is most likely nothing i would guess, it doesn't take much for the speakers to register a bit of static noise and i don't think it's an indication of the issue you are experiencing. I'm looking forward to seeing what some of the more experienced pinheads have to say about the led thing though.

#4 8 years ago

Oddly enough, my STTNG just started doing this the other night. It's had "double flipper" reset issues in the past, which went away when I re-seated connectors as a quick "fix". Even then, the game is fully LED'd and the LEDs would dim on a double flipper. Considering their nominal current draw, I knew I still had a problem.

NYE party, about 10PM we're all upstairs and I swear I hear "BONG" coming from the basement. I hear it two more times and go check it out, and sure enough, it's STTNG rebooting itself in attract mode.

The Wiki page above is the answer key. I just now need to methodically go through the steps to find the culprit. And I'd recommend the same to you.

#5 8 years ago

I had the double flipper reset issue previously, replaced BR2, C4 and C5 and the game played flawlessly after that until a few weeks ago when the flippers started acting up (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coils-need-to-warm-up-first). I'm wondering if the issues are related?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

this should resolve the HSII reset issue .

Great product, My Getaway was doing something similar, put in a new power board, re- seated all connections and would still get resets after about 45 min of being on even in attract mode. Make sure your plugging the game directly into an outlet and not using a power strip. This product has taken care of the issue and it's been over 2 years without a reset playing the game daily.

#8 8 years ago

I had the resetting issue, sometimes the dbl. flipper, sometimes multi-ball, random multi coil activation. Bought one of these all problems gone,

http://www.kahr.us/

2 months later
#9 8 years ago

After much reading and testing, I finally corrected the problem.

Tested DC voltage at TP1 and got 4.99 V; tested DC voltage at J114-3 and got 4.95V; tested DC voltage at J210-5 and got 4.85V, which would drop to 4.60V when I would have my issues. Replaced the IDC at J210 and I'm back up and running!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Trade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-resetting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.