Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by YeOldPinPlayer
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 days ago

My Getaway randomly resets while I’m playing. It’s inconsistent and so far I haven’t found a way to reproduce it. Twice it happened when a ball had just drained (maybe both times it was multiball?) but I think it has happened other times. I’m not even sure where to start. I’m a software dev with some basic circuitry skills, so I’m coming at this from a debugging perspective. My first inclination would be to find a way to force it to happen. I can play for an hour with no issue, or have it reset immediately.

Any ideas?

#3 10 days ago

Oh wow - this makes a lot of sense. I'm ordering one - thanks!

#4 10 days ago

If you want to read about causes and other possible solutions the Pinwiki is great: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

The Kahr board is an excellent solution IF your 5v is dropping. If it isn't, I don't think it will help.

#5 10 days ago

I have noticed that the lights dim when the flipper solenoids fire - not sure if that's a symptom of under-voltage but it caught my eye.

#6 10 days ago

mine did this and I reflowed the cpu…….. good as new now

#7 10 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

mine did this and I reflowed the cpu…….. good as new now

Yes, the Kahr board won't fix the issue if that is the problem. Been there, done that.

He says his lights are dimming so he may be losing the 5v.

#8 10 days ago

Is there a way to verify the 5V issue first, or is it easier to just try the Kahr board?

#9 10 days ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

Is there a way to verify the 5V issue first, or is it easier to just try the Kahr board?

Yep. With a voltmeter. If it's intermittent, it may be hard to see at first.

Bridge rectifiers on the power driver boards are known to not last forever on these games. But it could be other things.

#10 10 days ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If you want to read about causes and other possible solutions the Pinwiki is great: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

^^^^^ THIS.

I, personally, do NOT recommend the Kahr board as a primary (long term) solution. It's great to keep a game running on location or at a show but it's not a long term solution. I only have one that I use to keep any game that exhibits this problem running at the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show. Once the show is over the problem is isolated, fixed and the board removed.

#11 10 days ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

Yes and yes. Your boards have test points. Check the voltages there.

Quoted from DumbAss:

I, personally, do NOT recommend the Kahr board as a primary (long term) solution.

You should. It's an improvement on a systemic WPC design flaw.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside