(Topic ID: 47664)

Getaway Prototype Mountain - Ever been reproduced?

By Collin

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Rum-Z
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-729.jpg
image.jpg
MOUNTAIN.jpg
Yosemite tunnel.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
100_0356.JPG
100_0357.JPG
DSC00003_DxO.jpg
DSC00004_DxO.jpg
image.jpg
DSCN0311.jpg
donut_heaven_building.jpg
getmt.JPG
There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 10 years ago

Hi zr111990 yes we only sell the mountain at this time. We are brand new and this is our first product. We will offer more products soon but we are focusing on the mountains at the moment to meet demand. When the dust clears we have a lot of items we are going to add, but want to do this to the best of our abilities. Thanks for your interest.

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

there have been posts to ask for originals to copy multiple times over the last years on rgp and pinside.
and copies from the original have to be licensed, get approval and pay fees.

Licensing is for intellectual property (artwork, etc).

Reproducing a shape via reverse engineering should be allowed.

There would be no licensing...unless the original has a name, graphic design or something on it, then you would have to modify the font, shape slightly, etc.

Robert

#103 10 years ago

MrSanRamon -

This product was reviewed and approved by WMS and licensed through Planetary Pinball. It is made from an original WMS product and the license is protected by PP.

#104 10 years ago

Hi JoeJet, as ChrisVW stated if you want something special just let us know, we would be happy to accommodate. If it's a slight change like you request there would be no extra charge. $80 + shipping. Just send us and email [email protected]

To answer your question... we made many different prototype versions and narrowed it down by popularity. We chose the original intended version (grey/black) and the brown snow capped to look like the plastics. These were received overall as the best choice for first runs. We tried plain brown and we even added black highlights which made the mountain even darker as you have to rub the color in the cracks and crevices. There is no way to keep the black from absorbing into the brown. When we left the snow off the feedback said it looked incomplete.

We have considered having an artist hand spray each one but that would double the cost and everyone that we discussed this with thought that would shed a negative light on our product. Our goal is not to get rich just pay expenses (and there were a lot).

We all love pinball and having an opportunity to make this product was the incredible.

So far all the feedback for the product and the price has been positive. That makes us happy as that was the goal. We will most likely release some limited different versions, but the current version seem to be well received at the moment. But... once again if you would like it a different way we would be happy to get you what you really want.

#105 10 years ago

Okay the parts have arrived for Donut Heaven. I should have a some prototypes built next week. I was also thinking that I would not have to use the metal piece and possibly illuminate it or tie into a flasher.

#106 10 years ago

Cool, looking forward to seeing it!

#107 10 years ago

Tmezel: looking forward to it...

1 week later
#108 10 years ago

Early prototype. Considering not using the metal piece so I could use clear plastic for the window. Don't worry about the glass clearance yet, working on the look. By the way, check out the detail compared to the DMD.

Did not work on the sign yet, that's easy.

Please send any feedback.

#109 10 years ago

My wife is hurrying me to got out to eat...dammit

#110 10 years ago

// Error: Image 110959 not found //

#111 10 years ago

My mountain arrived!! Now just to take the time to install it...

// Error: Image 110965 not found //

#112 10 years ago

I just installed my mountain. Here is my take on it. Overall this was very well done--nice work Pinballtoys! Mine was dark brown with a dark grey entrance surround topped with silvery snow. I read about this color combo somewhere online and thought that might be just the perfect way to do this. Sounds a little goofy, but it really looks spiffy (especially the snow) next to the chrome supercharger. Nice job on the painting--which all looks to be done by hand. The instructions that came with the mountain were detailed, the fit turned out to be tight but good. It makes that top corner of the game a little darker, which is my only real comment on the down side. I'm thinking of making a clear lexan cover over the mountain to let some more light in--we'll see how that works/looks. On the plus side it is very cool to see the tunnel shot actually disappear into the mountain (like it was originally designed to), and it looks great when the flashing supercharger lights bounce off the mountain. Is it worth the money? Maybe not, but what pinball mod is worth what we pay for them? I can imagine the production & licensing costs for what will most likely be a low production run were pretty stiff. Bottom line--this mod really adds to the look of the game--I'd say if you plan on keeping your Getaway, I just might add this mountain to it. DSCN0311.jpgDSCN0311.jpg

#113 10 years ago

I think with a little more roof detail and a nice sign, this might just work out! By roof detail I mean it needs to look more like Spanish tile, asphalt shingle or metal--whichever it is--rather than just a sheet of red. It doesn't seem like you can really add any detail to the building, so the roof should be a little more accurate as it is the focal point. But then again, what do I know

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I just installed my mountain. Here is my take on it. Overall this was very well done--nice work Pinballtoys! Mine was dark brown with a dark grey entrance surround topped with silvery snow. I read about this color combo somewhere online and thought that might be just the perfect way to do this. Sounds a little goofy, but it really looks spiffy (especially the snow) next to the chrome supercharger. Nice job on the painting--which all looks to be done by hand. The instructions that came with the mountain were detailed, the fit turned out to be tight but good. It makes that top corner of the game a little darker, which is my only real comment on the down side. I'm thinking of making a clear lexan cover over the mountain to let some more light in--we'll see how that works/looks. On the plus side it is very cool to see the tunnel shot actually disappear into the mountain (like it was originally designed to), and it looks great when the flashing supercharger lights bounce off the mountain. Is it worth the money? Maybe not, but what pinball mod is worth what we pay for them? I can imagine the production & licensing costs for what will most likely be a low production run were pretty stiff. Bottom line--this toy really adds to the look of the game--I'd say if you plan on keeping your Getaway, I would add this mountain to it. I think you will like it.

I didn't get the brown mountain, because I just thought it might look strange seeing that color combination on the playfield. I'll post some pics when it's installed.

Thanks to pinball toys too!

Now I don't have to answer questions about what the deal was with the mountain special and helicopter bonus animations...

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I didn't get the brown mountain, because I just thought it might look strange seeing that color combination on the playfield. I'll post some pics when it's installed.
Thanks to pinball toys too!
Now I don't have to answer questions about what the deal was with the mountain special and helicopter bonus animations...

I think you are right about the color combo and the granite looking mountain will look very cool--maybe even better than the brown.

#116 10 years ago

One key element I should have added--first game after installing the mountain I hit a new personal high score and number of loops--gotta be the mountain!

#117 10 years ago

Do you have the star post installed at the entrance to the upper loop? That's what makes the loop champion special, otherwise anyone can hit that shot...

#118 10 years ago

Are you kidding--just to make it tougher on myself, I installed two star posts, a strip of flypaper and a wad of gum!

#119 10 years ago

It is Spanish tile but the scale is wrong. I am ordering this to match the stone. To increase the structure stability I am looking at a vinyl sticker to recreate the windows and door. The prototype is just too flimsy.

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

It is Spanish tile but the scale is wrong. I am ordering this to match the stone. To increase the structure stability I am looking at a vinyl sticker to recreate the windows and door. The prototype is just too flimsy.

That all sounds like good ideas. Maybe you don't need to do that much work. There are already two cutouts that look like small windows on the existing front piece. If you were to use plastic or a sticker around those openings for a front wall, and throw a red roof and "Donut Heaven" sign on top of the existing metal roof that might just do it. No real need to make a door if you can't fit one in easily. Just a thought...

#122 10 years ago

I did another rough model. I think the vinyl sticker and the more scale Spanish tile will finish it off. Don't laugh at the chicken scratch sign. It's actually really cool to play when the balls going into the building.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#123 10 years ago

Looking better all the time, keep at it! Could you add an "Open 24 Hrs" sign somewhere--that might be a nice touch.

#124 10 years ago

That mod is sick! Cant wait to see the final product.

#125 10 years ago

Here are two shots, one with the spot and pinballbulbs warm white LED w/o lens on the mountain, and one without the spot. From close to playing perspective.

DSC00004_DxO.jpgDSC00004_DxO.jpg DSC00003_DxO.jpgDSC00003_DxO.jpg

#126 10 years ago

Think you might of uploaded the wrong pics

#127 10 years ago

No, they just look weird for some reason, download the attachments instead, you'll see. We'll see if the previews fix themselves, they're blown up way too big.

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

No, they just look weird for some reason, download the attachments instead, you'll see. We'll see if the previews fix themselves, they're blown up way too big.

Yup, that made a difference! I like the mountain. If I had a getaway, it would be something I would grab

2 weeks later
#129 10 years ago

I just got home with a very clean Getaway. I already have the reproduced mountain, am ready for Donut heaven and a police car model mod.
Here is something I ran across on Ebay, could be a good deal.

Ebay # 190869142158

#130 10 years ago

I just installed my brown snowcapped mountain today, and I'm very happy with the fit, finish, and look. I have some red Cointaker 4+1 pop bumper LEDS in the pops, and they cast a real nice light on the mountain, making it show up really good. Looks like it should have been there all along (which it really should've).

#131 10 years ago

Can you post a picture? I'm very into this pin, I think its Black Rose's fault. His videos got me wanting one bad.

#132 10 years ago

I'll get you a pic tomorrow. Everyone in the house is asleep but me, and I don't want to go down to the game room and fire up the pin with the accompanying "DOING", LOL.

#133 10 years ago

I completely understand. Thanks.

#134 10 years ago

Hey Ball-Less1, This is what it looks like with the red LEDs from the pop bumpers illuminating the mountain. It really looks good IMO. I don't think I'll be needing a spot light. The snow on top helps with visibility. I have a darkened game room, so this is what it looks like when I'm playing from my perspective.

100_0357.JPG100_0357.JPG

#135 10 years ago

Here's one more pic from the side

100_0356.JPG100_0356.JPG

#136 10 years ago

I realized it darkened up the back a bit and then it dawned on me that the plastic under the mountain shouldn't even be there if this mountain actually hit production so I cut away that platic piece to expose 2 of the 4 bulbs under it and it looks fantastic!

#137 10 years ago

Before and after

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#138 10 years ago

I had the same idea (as the screened mountain plastic looks lame now that the real mountain is where it should have been all along) and cut a new plastic piece from a sheet of Lexan using the old one as a pattern. Turned out really nice.

1 month later
#139 10 years ago

I wish I'd picked one of these up. I didn't have my Getaway yet at the time.

Anybody heard anything about another run?

#140 10 years ago

Id be in for one as well. I contacted them on their website but got no response.

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Id be in for one as well. I contacted them on their website but got no response.

No response for me either...

#142 10 years ago

I got a response several weeks ago. Added to a list. They didn't say when or if there would be another run.

#143 10 years ago

Initially I was all over this, as I think it looks cool. After looking at the pics of it installed I kinda think it covers too much of the playfield and blocks the view of burn rubber.

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Initially I was all over this, as I think it looks cool. After looking at the pics of it installed I kinda think it covers too much of the playfield and blocks the view of burn rubber.

The photos don't do the mountain justice. It really doesn't block much of anything other than the kicker hole and looks like it should have been there all along. It really is pretty cool to see the ball disappear into the mountain, and then see the Lambo driving into the mountain on the DMD--almost like instant replay (or something...).

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

The photos don't do the mountain justice. It really doesn't block much of anything other than the kicker hole and looks like it should have been there all along. It really is pretty cool to see the ball disappear into the mountain, and then see the Lambo driving into the mountain on the DMD--almost like instant replay (or something...).

Im sure it is pretty cool to see. I just like the open concept of the playfield. I may get one just to see what it looks like if they ever come up for sale.

2 months later
#146 10 years ago

Well, I got my "mountain" in the mail last night, hopefully I'll get it installed in the next few days.

Looks great in the plastic baggy!

Robert

#147 10 years ago

Pic of it installed.

Robert

image.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
#148 10 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Pic of it installed.
Robert

image.jpg 175 KB

Nice...

...ugg, I hate waiting...

#149 10 years ago

Received my mountain last week, could not be happier with this mod. Will post pictures soon.

3 weeks later
#150 10 years ago

My daughter came home for Christmas and spent some time working on pinball machines. She added a bit of paint to the Getaway mountain to resemble the tunnel at Yosemite park. She added the date of 1992 on the keystone.
Yosemite tunnel.jpgYosemite tunnel.jpgMOUNTAIN.jpgMOUNTAIN.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Trade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-prototype-mountain-ever-been-reproduced/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.