• 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DaveH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170125_115146 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider red-line.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I am brand new to this, so excuse my lack of knowledge.

I recently replaced the bulbs on my Getaway: High Speed 2 with CT LED's, and also replaced the crank assembly under the right flipper. I did not replace the solenoid, just the crank assembly and plastic sleeve that sits in the solenoid.

I got the machine put back together, and made it through 2 balls before the plunger stopped working. The plunger on the Getaway is a "shifter" that you push up or down to launch the ball. The shifter has other uses in-game, too - to shift gears during regular play, or shifting during video mode. These alternative uses still work, but the ball will not launch.

In my attempt to diagnose, I noticed that the mars lamp is not rotating as it had been. It still lights up, but does not rotate.

I did the solenoid test and nothing pulses on either the plunger solenoid or the mars lamp solenoid. I don't really know what to do from here. I tried switching the F104 fuse with F105, just to see if maybe I had burned one out. No change in the solenoid test.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? Or where I should go from here as far as testing goes? Any help is appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

Bump! need help!

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the advice! At this point I'm thinking it has to be a bad wire somewhere. I'm gonna comb the underside thus evening and check. I only checked the shifter area for bad wires previously.

And yeah I did the switch test and both up/down register. I also tried (at someone on the forum's suggestion) switching to flipper plunger in the settings. No luck there - so a bad solenoid or wire seems likely. The solenoid thing would seem odd to me, though, as they happened at the same time. Would that be weird?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Not as weird as you would think. Only because the MARS lamp rotation can get "stuck" sometimes (due to a gear problem). However the thing I have found that if you are looking for a solution that is for both, you can miss the solution for both. In other words, try to just break it down to a single problem. I find the plunger coil to be the easier one to diagnose, because it is a regular coil. It needs power, and the information to activate (transistor). Anything that breaks that circuit means it won't work. When you throw in a second issue, it means you are looking for common a common circuit, and that makes it a bit harder to diagnose in my mine. So work the one issue, and if the second one is fixed by the solution, awesome. If not, then work the second one. It does simplify it.

I took your advice and decided to focus on the plunger. I lifted my playfield and looked at the all the connections to see if anything was out of place. The wire running to the plunger solenoid is questionable, I'll attach a picture.

I also went behind the backglass and followed where the wires were connected. One of the connectors (j127 I believe, I'm not home right now) I disconnected and reconnected. When I lowered the playfield and started a game, the plunger worked for 2 balls, then went back to not working. No idea what that means. I'll keep searching tonight.

#7 7 years ago

Forgot to attach the pic!

IMG_20170125_115146 (resized).jpgIMG_20170125_115146 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 72.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Trade
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 20.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider red-line.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-plungerlamp?tu=red-line and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.