Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190911_173902 (resized).jpg
5B91D346-AA2F-4770-AAF7-30C2BC628F55 (resized).jpeg
DA44EE7C-09C4-4993-92B9-310CEAE4C51B (resized).jpeg
C0B7866C-FFB9-440B-A08E-E9931C6CA478 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Just installed some mods on my new getaway high speed 2. BTW love the Mezel mountain mod. After installing them I can’t get the Playfield back into the cabinet. Never had trouble before. No obvious problem with mechanism but new to pinball so not sure exactly what to look for. Please help!?!?!?

#2 4 years ago

I am assuming that you took the lock-down bar off, removed the glass, and then lifted the playfield. Bally Williams playfields all kind of slide out a bit before you lift them up. Some also have a bar you raise to hold the playfield up. I am assuming you did not raise a bar (it's about 3 feet long and would be on the right) so we'll skip that and assume that the playfield is resting on the front of the machine, and that all wires are still attached. Sometimes the playfields need a little help to get over the hump and back on track. If you were to stand on the right hand of the machine, I am assuming there is some space on your right where you could reach behind and pull up on the back of the playfield. What you want to do is lift the back of the playfield (in your right hand) and the front (in your left hand) and lift the playfield an inch or two "over the hump" as you pull it to the right and set it back down in it's track. From here the playfield should easily slide into the back, and there should be two small metal hooks about 1 inch wide you have to fit securely back into the lockdown bar. If this doesn't work and/or doesn't describe your issue, please attach a picture for us.

Good luck!

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I’ll try that when I get home after work. If it doesn’t work I’ll definitely post a pic for more guidance. Thanks again!!!

#4 4 years ago

Facing pinball machine from players position the slide mechanism on the left is stuck and won’t slide. The right side is working fine. It’s like the left side was pulled out too far and it’s wedged in the slide. See pic. Tried lifting up board as suggested but it’s not moving. Any further advice would be much appreciated!

C0B7866C-FFB9-440B-A08E-E9931C6CA478 (resized).jpegC0B7866C-FFB9-440B-A08E-E9931C6CA478 (resized).jpeg
#5 4 years ago

Funny, I've had three Getaways and on each one, one of the slide mechanisms got jacked. No other Williams I owned did this. I think I had to push the playfields back in and lift it up and out to fix it.

It's really hard to see what you've got going on there without looking at another one. I don't have one in front of me at the moment.

#6 4 years ago

can you get a photo a little further out.
My getway is messed up in the same spot as well..

#7 4 years ago

This one is a little further

DA44EE7C-09C4-4993-92B9-310CEAE4C51B (resized).jpegDA44EE7C-09C4-4993-92B9-310CEAE4C51B (resized).jpeg
#8 4 years ago

Mine is definitely fkd too but I can get the playfield in/out. But it looks like the channel that comes out of the cab has jammed the spring controlled device up.
Probably telling you what you know. Can you lower it down, then push it back? Maybe to dislodge and allow the spring actuator to bend forward.?
This is the only game I’ve ever had repeated trouble with the mech
Not sure if photo helps but here’s one
Again mine is out of position but it does move.

5B91D346-AA2F-4770-AAF7-30C2BC628F55 (resized).jpeg5B91D346-AA2F-4770-AAF7-30C2BC628F55 (resized).jpeg
#9 4 years ago

Thanks to all who helped. Had to remove and file the slide and reinstall. Probably going to need to replace the mechanism on both sides.....

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from FLIGHTDOCTOR:

Probably going to need to replace the mechanism on both sides.....

They can get kind of loose at the pivot point. I think the way I fixed mine was to bend them a bit at the right spot to keep them from jumping track.

On one Getaway it was both sides. Wonder why this game is so prone to it happening or if it's just a coincidence.

#11 4 years ago

Glad you posted this. I have the same issue on mine. The left side gets jammed up and is a PITA to get back into the cabinet sometimes. Just found out tonight that I shorted the wires out on my Biglaw heli and police car mod by trying to get the PF back in the cabinet.

The metal slide that is shown in the photo is missing on the right side of my PF. Do you have the metal slide edge on both sides?

What did you file down?

#12 4 years ago

Sorry for delayed response. The metal slide is on both sides of the cabinet. The slide mechanisms should be identical on both sides I believe. I filed the pivot bolt and the inside of the slides to smooth them out and try to prevent binding. Also had to loosen pivot bolts a bit on both sides. Hope this helps....

#13 4 years ago

Slide mechanism on my Getaway had to be changed as well when I bought it. At the time I remember reading that a lot of people had the same problem with this game.
Good news is that it's easy to replace

#14 4 years ago

Weird, I was just working on the Getaway at the MoP and it has the same issue. I ordered some new slides, original part # has been discontinued but supposedly the more common version works as well...I guess I will find out when they arrive.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Weird, I was just working on the Getaway at the MoP and it has the same issue. I ordered some new slides, original part # has been discontinued but supposedly the more common version works as well...I guess I will find out when they arrive.

please post your results with that..I always dread lifting the pf on my getaway bc its so messed up. The spring pops off and the metal fork on one side gets bent..
thanks

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I ordered some new slides, original part # has been discontinued but supposedly the more common version works as well..

So Getaway used different slides than most other WPC?

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So Getaway used different slides than most other WPC?

It looks like this part was specific to HS2, im not sure what the difference is, but I will photograph them side by side when I do the swap...

20190911_173902 (resized).jpg20190911_173902 (resized).jpg
#18 4 years ago

Mine drags and doesn't work well at all either

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

It looks like this part was specific to HS2, im not sure what the difference is,

I know what the difference is. The one original with Getaway always ends up jacked.

And this thread is a revelation of that.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I know what the difference is. The one original with Getaway always ends up jacked.
And this thread is a revelation of that.

And I thought I just did something foolish to muck it up. Glad to see it was a design issue not user issue

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Glad to see it was a design issue not user issue

By my second one I kind of had a feeling, but thought it was just a fluke.

The only WPC I ever noticed completely different is No Fear. It's it's own beast and works very well.

#22 4 years ago

No fear is the easiest to lift for me None of the springs or locking unlocking mechanism
Not sure why they didn’t do more with that style

#23 4 years ago

Capcom had a real neat system with nylon rollers.

The worst by far had to be Data East especially on a wide body like GNR. That thing was always a disaster waiting to happen. And in many cases it did.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Capcom had a real neat system with nylon rollers.
The worst by far had to be Data East especially on a wide body like GNR. That thing was always a disaster waiting to happen. And in many cases it did.

Broke a g ramp one time due to that.

#25 4 years ago

GNR was my first game and I watched the seller drop the playfield and break the flipper board before I even picked it up. Another buddy almost broke an arm with his.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

GNR was my first game and I watched the seller drop the playfield and break the flipper board before I even picked it up. Another buddy almost broke an arm with his.

what was the design flaw with data East? I havent seen the mech

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

what was the design flaw with data East? I havent seen the mech

If I remember it's very similar to the older modern Stern except the track is too short so there is an area where the hook drags across wood before it hits the metal track. And it digs into the wood after a while and metal parts get bent.

And on a widebody like GNR that can be very deleterious to the output.

#28 4 years ago

The original slide assembly were thin and cheap, thankfully mine are still okay and I'm extra careful with them, but you can buy replacements which are much thicker and should not have the same issues. Also, getting them lined up correctly is the key, good luck

https://www.pinballlife.com/playfield-slide-assembly-left.html

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

The original slide assembly were thin and cheap, thankfully mine are still okay and I'm extra careful with them, but you can buy replacements which are much thicker and should not have the same issues. Also, getting them lined up correctly is the key, good luck
https://www.pinballlife.com/playfield-slide-assembly-left.html

Have found same issue with them being so thin. And often new pivots are needed as they sometimes get jacked up. And lightly lube the contact points when you do get it working right.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Trade
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-playfield-stuck?hl=archon9000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.