Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_mmhiwc7hse1s0o92ao1_250.gif
photo 1-304.JPG
photo-683.JPG
photo 2-965.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Getaway owners - you may want to check your ramps for voltage! Put your red meter lead on the metal ramp and the black lead on ground. If you measure 70V DC then you may have the same issue I did.

I had my switch matrix blow up (U20 chip) 3 times. I would replace the chip and spend hours going through all the switch wiring without finding any problems. Game would play fine for days then bam! Turns out the diverter coil mounted under the ramps can rotate quite a bit. When it does, the coil lugs make contact with the corners of the coil stop. That can electrify the ramps with 70V DC. Then, if a switch touches a ramp, bye bye U20. In my case the back of the green standup target at the pf top (when hit hard) could briefly touch the edge of a ramp mounting corner. Another standup target located just below the pops had a similiar potential. I took a dremel and cut off the top corners off the coil stop so the coil can now rotate from side to side without the lugs making any contact. Make sure your getaway ramps are not electrified!

#2 10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up.

#4 10 years ago

great tip to share. problems like that can be the worst to track down.

#5 10 years ago

Probably took more off the coil stop edges than necessary but that thing pissed me off

photo 2-965.JPGphoto 2-965.JPGphoto-683.JPGphoto-683.JPGphoto 1-304.JPGphoto 1-304.JPG

#6 10 years ago

I had the same problem. I found out the ramps were energized when I touched them. Ouch!

Anyway, I came up with a non-destructive fix that keeps the coil from rotating: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-supercharger-removal-tutorial#post-1312464

#7 10 years ago

Yea I figured others must have experienced this issue too. Anything that prevents the coil lugs from contacting the stop and ramps is a viable solution. Sure cost me some troubleshooting time.

#8 10 years ago

I'm confused.
Why are the coil lugs touching the stop anyway?
Where is the nylon nub that stops that?
Is this a special mount for that application?

tumblr_mmhiwc7hse1s0o92ao1_250.giftumblr_mmhiwc7hse1s0o92ao1_250.gif

#9 10 years ago

The coil should be installed the other way. The lugs of the coil away from the coil stop.

#10 10 years ago

Ok looking at the other thread, this looks to be a non-flipper style (2 winding, 3 lug) coil with no anti twist nipple on it. Original bad design IMHO. I like steve1515's fix.

#11 10 years ago

My wife has that same bad design with her anti-twist nipples. I get a hell of a shock when I touch those things.

2 weeks later
#12 10 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The coil should be installed the other way. The lugs of the coil away from the coil stop.

Exactly, that is why the short was happening...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 72.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-owners-check-your-ramps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.