By simonzzz

6 days ago

Stats

• 20 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

#1 6 days ago

Hi there,

I have searched for this topic but found nothing so I will start a new post.

I am fixing up a Getaway I bought, and have found the opto on the supercharger ramp and ALSO the opto on the supercharger itself do not activate with the fast-moving ball. They only work using my finger or slow object. I have not encountered this before. Firstly I tried replacing the transmitter and receiver of the first switch I was checking, to no avail, and then I doscovered the fault was common to both switches, and probably any other opto on the game. I wonder if the crystal on the CPU board is at fault? Anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks,
SIMON

#2 6 days ago
Quoted from simonzzz:

Hi there,
I have searched for this topic but found nothing so I will start a new post.
I am fixing up a Getaway I bought, and have found the opto on the supercharger ramp and ALSO the opto on the supercharger itself do not activate with the fast-moving ball. They only work using my finger or slow object. I have not encountered this before. Firstly I tried replacing the transmitter and receiver of the first switch I was checking, to no avail, and then I doscovered the fault was common to both switches, and probably any other opto on the game. I wonder if the crystal on the CPU board is at fault? Anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to fix it?
Thanks,
SIMON

check to see the 12 volts unregulated to see what that reads

#3 6 days ago
Quoted from simonzzz:

the crystal on the CPU board

What do you mean "crystal"??

Also,Try reseating the connectors on the opto board..Put the game in switch test,Using a business card or a piece of cardboard test those optos and see if they are registering properly on the display.Sometimes if an opto is misalined or misadjusted it won't register fast enough/Properly.

#4 6 days ago

Also, be aware that the "speed of switch registering" during test mode compared to how the switches are looked at during actual game play could be very different.

Just because it seems like a slow response in test does not 100% mean it is also slow during game play - it may well be arranged like that to enable easier testing and fault finding???

I don't know this is the case in the Getaway I'm just speaking from our own experience where (in a Homepin pinball) if you operate the solenoids in test mode they work VERY differently to when they are switched by the microprocessor during actual game play.

#5 6 days ago
Quoted from Homepin:

solenoids in test mode they work VERY differently

They are more powerful because they are being tested one at a time

#6 6 days ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I don't know this is the case in the Getaway

They are all the same

#7 6 days ago
Quoted from pinmike:

They are more powerful because they are being tested one at a time

Not really - in our machines they are sent a different length pulse in test mode compared to actual game play where they are fired differently depending on the actual application.

#8 6 days ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Not really - in our machines they are sent a different length pulse in test mode compared to actual game play where they are fired differently depending on the actual application.

Your in a different country,Maybe more or less volts

#9 5 days ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Your in a different country,Maybe more or less volts

I am well aware how our machine works. The programmer has set it so in test mode a longer pulse is sent to each solenoid to make testing easier. In game play the pulse lengths are different depending on the actual solenoid and its use. I also made it clear I was unsure if this also applied to machines like Getaway but that it should be considered as a possibility.

We also run machines here on all mains supply voltages from 100V through to 260V - the only thing we don't change (simply because it's too hard) is the Hz - we run 50Hz.

#10 5 days ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I don't know this is the case in the Getaway I'm just speaking from our own experience where (in a Homepin pinball)

Hmmmm,I see you just learned all of the sudden,Thanks to the net.

#11 5 days ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Hmmmm,I see you just learned all of the sudden,Thanks to the net.

I have no idea what you are on about? Anyway - let me quote my original post where I was trying to offer assistance to the OP with his problem - how about you don't chop my post up to suit some alternate agenda you seem to have:

"Also, be aware that the "speed of switch registering" during test mode compared to how the switches are looked at during actual game play could be very different.

Just because it seems like a slow response in test does not 100% mean it is also slow during game play - it may well be arranged like that to enable easier testing and fault finding???

I don't know this is the case in the Getaway I'm just speaking from our own experience where (in a Homepin pinball) if you operate the solenoids in test mode they work VERY differently to when they are switched by the microprocessor during actual game play."

#12 5 days ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I have no idea what you are on about? Anyway - let me quote my original post where I was trying to offer assistance to the OP with his problem - how about you don't chop my post up to suit some alternate agenda you seem to have:
"Also, be aware that the "speed of switch registering" during test mode compared to how the switches are looked at during actual game play could be very different.
I don't know this is the case in the Getaway I'm just speaking from our own experience where (in a Homepin pinball) if you operate the solenoids in test mode they work VERY differently to when they are switched by the microprocessor during actual game play."

Can't you take a joke?? No need for lectures!! We have a Pin here that needs attention...You can make your own thread talking about your experience

#13 5 days ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Can't you take a joke?? No need for lectures!! We have a Pin here that needs attention...You can make your own thread talking about your experience

I really don't know why I waste my time here....I was making a very valid suggestion...I fail to see why you think otherwise? I don't get your joke? Maybe it's a cultural difference thing? I have no idea.

Anyway, good luck to the OP with your issue.

#14 5 days ago

OP, do you recognize this only during diagnostic testing, or are the optos failing during gameplay?

#15 5 days ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I really don't know why I waste my time here....I was making a very valid suggestion...I fail to see why you think otherwise? I don't get your joke? Maybe it's a cultural difference thing? I have no idea.
Anyway, good luck to the OP with your issue.

I never asked you for any info or any of your advice..You just typed all that stuff,Doesn't make any difference to me I don't care!!

#16 5 days ago

Are the optos aligned properly? Misaligned optos will often not be able to detect a fast moving ball, but can detect a finger more easily.

#17 5 days ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

OP, do you recognize this only during diagnostic testing, or are the optos failing during gameplay?

Hi guys, thanks for all your comments. I've been working with pins for 20+ years, and had many scenaro's with testing switches so I wouldn't post it here unless it was something rather unique to me. No, as already stated, the LED opto switches do not work in game mode with a fast moving ball, but they do with a slow moving ball or finger or other obstacle. I initially thought maybe the opto transmitter or receiver was at fault, hence I replaced them both with new ones....THEN I realised it wasn't just one opto switch. I think the problem may lie on the CPU board. On this board is a crystal which "I think" could be associated with the opto's. I'm not sure, hence my question to the community... Here's what I read on Wiki about crystals: "to provide a stable clock signal for digital integrated circuits, and to stabilize frequencies for radio transmitters and receivers". I have in the past replaced LM339 chips which are integral to opto circuits but in this case the switches ARE working...but only at slow speeds.
Cheers, SIMON

#18 5 days ago

Did you try one of the new CPU boards in the game?

That could tell you where your problems lies ... your old CPU or the Playfield.

rd

#19 5 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Did you try one of the new CPU boards in the game?
That could tell you where your problems lies ... your old CPU or the Playfield.
rd

I don't have the tool for that big square chip. I would use another CPU board first...like from FT or something, but yes, I could try that

#20 5 days ago

y-ou could get one for about $8. handy to have, i just picked up 2

Quoted from simonzzz:
I don't have the tool for that big square chip. I would use another CPU board first...like from FT or something, but yes, I could try that

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.99
$ 15.00
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 28.00
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 109.00
Sale Pending!
Jackson, MICHIGAN
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 229.99
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hanover, VA
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside