View topic image gallery

IMG_9510 (resized).JPG
IMG_9508 (resized).JPG
IMG_9490 (resized).JPG
IMG_9354 (resized).PNG
IMG_9355 (resized).PNG
#1 7 years ago

I'm at it again!
This time I've been tweaking Getaway. My original plans were to rewrite the entire code and add an LCD display but when I started thinking about it I decided that if I could change out the terrible 1990's sound quality then that would be enough.

So far here is what I have done. I replaced about half of the sound effects with new. Amazingly many of the original sounds were not car related so I fixed that. I used sounds of cars peeling out and skidding, auto shop sounds like air tools etc and high-speed drivebys. Makes a huge difference.

The other thing I did was replace all of the music.
Instead of only using one song, LaGrange, like the original game did, I used much more.
LaGrange
Cheap Sunglasses
Gimme All Your Lovin
Legs
Sharp Dressed Man
Tush

LaGrange is the main theme that plays for most of the game until you get things going. I cut LaGrange into 4 pieces, though, so depending on what you have started it plays different sections of the song.

Cheap Sunglasses is used for entering initials for high scores and video modes

Legs plays for Run The Red Light and multiball

Gimme All Your Lovin plays after a jackpot shot is made

Sharp Dressed Man plays after Super Jackpot shot is made

Tush plays for Red Light Mania

I thought about rewriting the code to make a song selection menu similar to ACDC or Metallica but decided it was too much work for such a small gain. Anyway, you can check out this video here. I am not that great of a player, but you can hear a few of the songs. Unfortunately, I drain right after Gimme All Your Lovin starts playing.

#2 7 years ago

Sounds incredible! I assume this is with the Pinsound board?

#3 7 years ago

Awesome. I have a pinsound in my Getaway too, but haven't changed the sounds yet. Let me know if you need a beta tester

#4 7 years ago

Great job.

#5 7 years ago

Nice...makes me think about adding the Pinsound...........ugggghhhhh more money!

#6 7 years ago

I like the idea of adding in new sounds to this game. Have you thought about putting in the multiball track from HS into the multiball mode for HS2?

I actually liked that multiball track more than the one in HS2.

#7 7 years ago

Great job.. NT>

#8 7 years ago

Holy crap. I must have this for my Getaway. I have zero knowledge and experience with Pinsound though. Can anyone direct me to a thread or link to purchase one and how to install it?

More music? New and better sound effects? Sign me the F up! Thanks for doing this!!

Now if someone could add full length song tracks to the Elvis pin, that would make a bunch of owners happy.

Edit: ok I'm looking into Pinsound threads now. I see two different versions. I've also read about having colordmd and Pinsound causing power issues so I bought an external power source to help.

Ok I've ordered a Pinsound board from the site. Very excited!!

#9 7 years ago

James, will this be available for download when you are done?

#10 7 years ago

Wow. You did a really good job. It makes me want to pick up another getaway! Let us know if it's going to be avail be for pin sound or whatever. Great work!

#11 7 years ago

Yes, using pinsound board. They cost 350US and I have nothing to do with that company. I found the price steep too and could probably only justify the board for great wpc89 games like Getaway or maybe T2. GNR would also be a good one to upgrade. I think the sound is good enough on DCS boards and newer but for a semi-music themed pin like getaway it is a no-brainer.

As far as sharing the files: I was going to release the sound files on the pinsound board but since it is using the IP of ZZ Top I decided to not do that. I create art also and it really irks me when people are so blaize about stealing other peoples' IP. If you listened to the interview with Steve Miller that played last week on Blomberg you would see that Apple and amazon and other streaming services are raping these people for millions. I just don't want to be a part of that scene.

The files for the new sound effects are not a problem since they are royalty free. My only concern is for the music files that were not part of the original game. However, if you assure me you already own it (you tell me you own the ZZ Top greatest hits CD, for example) then I can get you the trunc'ed files.

#12 7 years ago

Wow! What a difference. Makes me wish I still had my Getaway☹️. Great work, nice looking machine too!

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from jamescardona:

Yes, using pinsound board. They cost 350US and I have nothing to do with that company. I found the price steep too and could probably only justify the board for great wpc89 games like Getaway or maybe T2. GNR would also be a good one to upgrade. I think the sound is good enough on DCS boards and newer but for a semi-music themed pin like getaway it is a no-brainer.
As far as sharing the files: I was going to release the sound files on the pinsound board but since it is using the IP of ZZ Top I decided to not do that. I create art also and it really irks me when people are so blaize about stealing other peoples' IP. If you listened to the interview with Steve Miller that played last week on Blomberg you would see that Apple and amazon and other streaming services are raping these people for millions. I just don't want to be a part of that scene.
The files for the new sound effects are not a problem since they are royalty free. My only concern is for the music files that were not part of the original game. However, if you assure me you already own it (you tell me you own the ZZ Top greatest hits CD, for example) then I can get you the trunc'ed files.

Sounds about right to me. I think I own all the songs you are using. I'm def a fan of ZZ Top. Funny story about ZZ Top. My mom and I were at Universal Studios in a Florida at this rollcoaster called Rip Ride Rockit. You get to pick a song out of 30 choices to listen to while you ride the coaster. Mom and I, without consulting with the other, both picked ZZ Top's Gimme All Your Lovin. So cool! She raised me right.

IMG_9355 (resized).PNGIMG_9355 (resized).PNG

IMG_9354 (resized).PNGIMG_9354 (resized).PNG

#14 7 years ago

High score could also be:I'm bad, I'm nationwide. Jackpot... just got paid yep gonna order a pinsound board

1 week later
#15 7 years ago

Got my Pinsound board!

IMG_9490 (resized).JPGIMG_9490 (resized).JPG

#16 7 years ago

I want those magnets too!

#17 7 years ago

Ok that swap was so quick and painless. Pinsound did a great job with the instructions.

IMG_9508 (resized).JPGIMG_9508 (resized).JPG

IMG_9510 (resized).JPGIMG_9510 (resized).JPG

2 years later
#18 4 years ago

Nice job! Like your combination of original sounds and new music. I have just installed a PinSound in my Tommy and my High Speed 2 would definately benefit. Keep up the good work!

#19 4 years ago

Here is your source for Getaway HS2 PinSound orchestrations: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/22-getaway

Most are mine, but there are some other good ones.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 40.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Trade
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 20.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-new-sounds?hl=e_gpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.