SAM_0448 (resized).JPG
SAM_0449 (resized).JPG
IMG_0301 copy (resized).jpg
IMG_0299 copy (resized).jpg
800662A7-0459-487B-B2A4-ED147F7B336C (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 4.50.29 PM (resized).png
Screenshot_20190719-152806_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I’m working on a 3D printed version of the famous mountain mod.

Initially I thought about creating a foam mold and then using it as a base to do a resin pour.

But instead I decided to try my hand at designing it in Fusion and 3D printing it.

Right now I’m printing the first version as just a skin to see if my dimensions were in the ball park.

This is a fairly long print (7+ hours for just the skin, 17 hours for a low density infill version) so the cost would probably be in the $200 range once I paint it. Is there any interest in something like this? I don’t believe anyone is making them at the moment.

Here’s a teaser pic of the first version mid print.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I think most would have to see the finished design to see if it’s an improvement of The current one .

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

I think most would have to see the finished design to see if it’s an improvement of The current one .

There is no current one. No one sells this. If it turns out good there will be interest.

#4 4 years ago

Yea to my understanding there is no one making one right now. I'll be checking fitment today and making modifications. Is there anything in specific people are looking for with these mountains? Lighting? Colour scheme?

#5 4 years ago

Watching to see the final product.

#7 4 years ago

Fyi mezel mods makes one. Its 155. And looks pretty good.

Screenshot_20190719-152806_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190719-152806_Chrome (resized).jpg
#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

Fyi mezel mods makes one. Its 155. And looks pretty good.[quoted image]

Oh weird, when I go to their website it doesn't show in stock?

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 4.50.29 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-07-19 at 4.50.29 PM (resized).png
#9 4 years ago

See what your saying now. Maybe they stopped.

#10 4 years ago

No offense to Mezel, but yours looks a heck of a lot more detailed with a mountain pass tunnel, than just two snow topped mountains.

Honestly, if I owned Getaway, I'd be down to buy one on the spot.

#11 4 years ago

Agree yours looks much more detailed like the tunnel. I would be interested.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Oh weird, when I go to their website it doesn't show in stock?[quoted image]

Typically I gather a list of interested people and do a run of these- as you are probably finding these are difficult to make and time consuming so we don't keep them 'in stock' at all times.
Happy to do a run for those interested

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from StupidJackpot:

No offense to Mezel, but yours looks a heck of a lot more detailed with a mountain pass tunnel, than just two snow topped mountains.
Honestly, if I owned Getaway, I'd be down to buy one on the spot.

No offense taken whatsoever- ours doesn't have a 'tunnel', it has a tunnel-like opening with grey looking bricks and the number 1992. I'm not certain that its obvious from the photos.
There are so many ways this can be done however- the biggest challenge is getting it to fit under the supercharger loop.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

Fyi mezel mods makes one. Its 155. And looks pretty good.

That does not look good at all.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from mrs_mezelmods:

Typically I gather a list of interested people and do a run of these- as you are probably finding these are difficult to make and time consuming so we don't keep them 'in stock' at all times.
Happy to do a run for those interested

Yea I guess it depends on how you are manufacturing these. Are yours cast or vacuum formed?

Right now it's just getting the dimensions right, once the shape is finished it's just a matter of print time. A big plus with 3D printing is that one offs are easy to do once you have the file.

I was pretty close with V1, I just have to shave off some of the part next to the tunnel as it jutted out into the playfield too much and make a bit more space for the supercharger's opto.

Printing V2 tonight.

#16 4 years ago

I believe that somebody printed a run of these many years ago, a copy of the mountain plastic of the prototype. Loks good

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Yea I guess it depends on how you are manufacturing these. Are yours cast or vacuum formed?
Right now it's just getting the dimensions right, once the shape is finished it's just a matter of print time. A big plus with 3D printing is that one offs are easy to do once you have the file.
I was pretty close with V1, I just have to shave off some of the part next to the tunnel as it jutted out into the playfield too much and make a bit more space for the supercharger's opto.
Printing V2 tonight.

3D printed and hand painted. Looking forward to seeing your design!

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Yea to my understanding there is no one making one right now. I'll be checking fitment today and making modifications. Is there anything in specific people are looking for with these mountains? Lighting? Colour scheme?

Quoted from Geteos:

Was referring to the remake that was done and sold a few years ago. They sold out. Memel mods also made one .

800662A7-0459-487B-B2A4-ED147F7B336C (resized).jpeg800662A7-0459-487B-B2A4-ED147F7B336C (resized).jpeg
#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

There is no current one. No one sells this. If it turns out good there will be interest.

See previous posts. Current owners like myself would need to see finished product to decide whether to change current one. Now do you get it?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

See previous posts. Current owners like myself would need to see finished product to decide whether to change current one. Now do you get it?

Is there anything with your current model that you're not happy with?

I'd like to understand what would make someone change out the one they have for a different version? Is it just the aesthetic of it?

#21 4 years ago

My V2 came out closer to where I need the edges to be. I still have some tightening up of the dimensions around the opto as well as adding some mounting points to utilize the existing screw holes, but I think I'm on the right track.

IMG_0299 copy (resized).jpgIMG_0299 copy (resized).jpgIMG_0301 copy (resized).jpgIMG_0301 copy (resized).jpg
#22 4 years ago

Once that gets painted it should look good, the ridgeline on the back half is cool. Not sure I completely like the squarish left front, I'd have to see it in person.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Once that gets painted it should look good, the ridgeline on the back half is cool. Not sure I completely like the squarish left front, I'd have to see it in person.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not in love with the front yet either. I'm going to try and extend the front mountain edge more to the ground to help smooth out the profile.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

I'd like to understand what would make someone change out the one they have for a different version? Is it just the aesthetic of it?

Quoted from Geteos:

Quoted from Geteos:

Some have compared to two baked potatoes.it was copied after the prototype . At the time it was the only option before Mezel offered one . It looks pretty good. Matter I would have not get the snow on top if I could go back. There were two or three options I believe from pinball toys.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Yea to my understanding there is no one making one right now.

Actually, I've been working on one for quite a while now.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/180#post-4798501

It does take a while to prototype 3D mods this big though (several hours to print, hours to update the model, test fit, repeat).

Here's my latest incarnation that will be available soon, pricing TBD:

SAM_0449 (resized).JPGSAM_0449 (resized).JPG

SAM_0448 (resized).JPGSAM_0448 (resized).JPG

Surprised no one knew I was working on this; do people not follow the Getaway Club topic?

Edit: well, I guess it has been 6 months since I original posted and got feedback. Have I really been working on the new front for 6 months? Geez...

#26 4 years ago

Ah, yea I look in the thread every once in awhile but I’ve only had my getaway since March so I must have missed your post.

Anyhow I printed a solid version of my mountain last night. Came out quite nice I think.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#27 4 years ago
Quoted from mjenison:

Actually, I've been working on one for quite a while now.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/180#post-4798501
It does take a while to prototype 3D mods this big though (several hours to print, hours to update the model, test fit, repeat).
Here's my latest incarnation that will be available soon, pricing TBD:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Surprised no one knew I was working on this; do people not follow the Getaway Club topic?
Edit: well, I guess it has been 6 months since I original posted and got feedback. Have I really been working on the new front for 6 months? Geez...

Quoted from Geteos:

Ah, yea I look in the thread every once in awhile but I’ve only had my getaway since March so I must have missed your post.
Anyhow I printed a solid version of my mountain last night. Came out quite nice I think.[quoted image]

Both your guys Designs look good.

#28 4 years ago

Gave my v3 a quick paint rocky red paint job and put in the lighting hooked into the GI. I have a little bit more tweaking to do under the supercharger, but this is pretty close to what I’ll be going with. Turns out I can print this a bit faster than I originally thought so the pricing should be a bit closer to the $100-110 mark with the lighting.
44099B78-08E2-4BCC-9730-2FE08EDA8625 (resized).jpeg44099B78-08E2-4BCC-9730-2FE08EDA8625 (resized).jpegA1A0A604-F7D2-49E8-A27F-28EE164B608A (resized).jpegA1A0A604-F7D2-49E8-A27F-28EE164B608A (resized).jpegCFC1AF1E-5E0B-4714-B5C2-5C6AF5789FB6 (resized).jpegCFC1AF1E-5E0B-4714-B5C2-5C6AF5789FB6 (resized).jpeg

#29 4 years ago

That turned out nice. I realize all the mountain mods don't need snow on them, but I think yours would look good with a dusting on top.

#30 4 years ago

Thanks! I’ll see if I can shoot a light layer of snow on it to see how it looks.

#31 4 years ago

Installed version 3 today. I modified the design a bit to clear the opto but still retain a bit more curves under the supercharger. I also painted a snow peak on it. I think this is the one I’ll be going with. Again it retains the lighting in the tunnel and you can re use your existing plastic supercharger cover.

I’ll be putting it up in my store shortly along with a cover for the micro switch above the left outer loop. It mimics a highway sign and lights up when the freeway shot is lit. Think it looks pretty neat! I can print it in grey or white.

FA3A890D-8AEB-41CD-9AB5-98ECBC2F5E02 (resized).jpegFA3A890D-8AEB-41CD-9AB5-98ECBC2F5E02 (resized).jpeg6F7B6178-BDBC-4199-A018-02455B28A987 (resized).jpeg6F7B6178-BDBC-4199-A018-02455B28A987 (resized).jpeg1AC0333C-0940-475B-9FC6-4E8CD32404AE (resized).jpeg1AC0333C-0940-475B-9FC6-4E8CD32404AE (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#32 4 years ago

Any word on when mods will be for sale? Your mountain looks much better than the original prototype. Sign is pretty cool to.

#33 4 years ago

I actually put them up in my store a day or two ago. Just click the link under my name and they should be there.

Thanks!

1 week later
#34 4 years ago

After some feedback from the Getaway group I modified the sign to round off the corners some more and changed the colour scheme to white for the board and grey for the switch cover to integrate it a bit better into the game. The new version with and without lighting is up in my store.

I've also revised my finishing techniques on the mountain to get rid of some of the print lines along the peaks. I just got in about 10 light strips for this mod, so I can ship them out within a few days after placing the order. (I print them on demand over night).

IMG_0416 copy (resized).jpgIMG_0416 copy (resized).jpgIMG_0417 copy (resized).jpgIMG_0417 copy (resized).jpg
1 year later
#35 3 years ago

What light does this connect to under the playfield?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 72.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-mountain-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.