image.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image-241.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 9 years ago

This is one game that will turn out very nice for you. I'd wish you luck but from the list of your other restors you really don't need any....just a kick in the butt every once in a while when you slow down. Have fun and I'll be following.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I started the restore about 3 weeks ago and have made some progress.
After disassembling, I started with the cabinet. Since I won't be using decals and will be doing a mixture of original art and "enhancements", the first step is making stencils. I use a product called TransferRite Ultra commonly used in the sign making business but also by airbrush artists which is where I learned about it. Easy to move from one surface to another, cuts extremely well with a blade, and is overall easy to work with.
IMG_3386.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
Kiwi Terry (airbrush artist and friend) and I took a few hours to hand draw the artwork onto the TransferRite. Honestly, Kiwi Terry doesn't allow me to help much. He can be a little touchy .
IMG_3191.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
We then mount it on white butcher paper.
IMG_3388.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
Photo copies are made so we have as many backups as needed! It isn't necessarily the least amount of work but using vinyl cutters has not proven as successful either for one off projects, which is true of all of my projects.
IMG_3391.jpg (Click image to enlarge)IMG_3390.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Custom airbrush art too, cool.

#9 9 years ago

How long did you let the black dry before you put the stencils on?

#17 9 years ago

That is super custom. I'd hate to have police choppers that look like that come after me. How many coats of clear are going on?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Yes, you're work is amazing! So much talent out there.

Yes there is but what was the cost, artwork like that costs $$$ I know guys that do cars, bikes, boats etc and one time I asked them how much it would cost to do a pin for me, I just about fell off my chair when they told me the price.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Some things to keep in mind if you ever want to do custom art. If you provide stencils, prep, base color, and clear, the price will be significantly less than hiring someone to do all of it for you. The vast majority of custom artwork on cars and motorcycles is in the prep. I can spray a motorcycle gas tank in 20 minutes. It will take several days to prep.

I understand all that, if you have the time, place, equipment and talent to do all that.

#29 9 years ago

I don't know how to do much and have had a tech come out a few times but those times the troubles were things like finding and replacing blown transistors and stuff. Pinball will really be taking a back seat for me when my Mustang comes back from the body shop but in the mean time I have an entire garage to finish on the inside so the car has a home to come back to. Life is toooo short.

I love your vision for the game and can't wait to see more.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I have got my work cut out for me today with the prep of the playfield. The original plan was to find a NOS playfield but that has come up short. The cleaning, color sanding, and the repair of the scoop begins today. Then a few coats of clear, some color sanding, and then the customization of the playfield will begin.
IMG_3286.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_3285.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_3284.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_3283.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Wow your whites are still nice and white but man is that thing dirty. Looks like it will clean up nice though.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Maybe your airbrush guy can touch up the play field.

I have a feeling we aint seen nuttin yet.

#40 9 years ago

Dang, those inserts look perfect. Any of them raised?

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I am pleased to say none are raised or sunken! Total luck. This playfield has held up well.

That's great news. Since your going to do the pf custom (and probably clear the pf) may I suggest you epoxy the inserts in as an insurance measure.

#51 9 years ago

You got that shooter lane and scoop lookin REAL good.

#54 9 years ago

That powder looks great. If your putting chrome leg bolts on the Refinery's are the best, real show chrome and don't forget the black nylon bolt washers.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I had the bolts powder coated as well. I didn't think about the black nylon washers. Good call. Thanks!

I've got powder coated bolts on my Mustang and they look nice but the coating is so thick that I had to use a Cresent wrench to tighten them down which chipped up the coating a bit. So the more I take them off and on the worse they will get. Be careful. I've got purple, red and black on my coated legs, they work and look great.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Do you have a tumbler?

He better or a sand blaster.

#70 9 years ago

I was just wondering if you were going to keep the stock stainless side rails or are you going to powder them.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

The picture of the powder-coated parts earlier in the thread shows the newly powder-coated side rails.

Oups, I forgot about that.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Powder coating the external hardware seemed straightforward. The question is whether I should powder coat the mechs under the playfield. I have never done it and wrestle with the ROI.

Cleaning them up and having them re-plated would be cool.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I checked the bolts and they followed my instructions and only powder coated the heads. However, several are screwed up. Back to the powder coater.

Yeah I was talking about the heads, because of the thickness of the coating the proper size wrench wouldn't fit. Hope you have better luck.

#85 9 years ago

Love that Drive Again area. Matches the cab sides.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Added some around the pop bumpers as well and changed the orange to blue with the idea of it being a bridge going over water.

Thanks!
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

How about a ship or boat going under the bridge.

#139 8 years ago

Shift lights on tach's are always a bright red.

#180 8 years ago

That's pretty neat, fits your custom theme perfect. How does it know when to light up and how long does the battery last?

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

It has a push button on/off top. 2 lithium 3 volt batteries. Don't know the life of the batteries.

With 2 3v it should last a long time as long as you remember to turn it off when not in use. It just slipped over the shaft then?

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

The shaft is 5/8 and the knob will fit up to 9/16. There is a little more tolerance than they say. It slid over the shaft like a charm and then 3 set screws hold it snug.

Thanks for the info.

#186 8 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Getting some more parts put back together tonight. I hope to clear coat the cabinet this week and start reassembling.

Has that been chromed? Looks beautiful.

#221 8 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

The clear sat pretty flat. If you look at the reflection of the fence the lines are reasonably in focus. I still need to color sand using large blocks and respray. I will see if I can't get a similar shot after the second coat to A/B. The distortion is commonly referred to as orange peel. It can be eliminated by sanding and respraying.IMG_3545.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

and buffing.

#230 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Going to leave the toys stock, or have them airbrushed up with extra paint?

I'll bet they will light up during game play and the rotors may even turn.

#237 8 years ago

Nice, the orange peel is almost gone.

1 week later
#275 8 years ago

That's beautiful, another great job Aurich.

#289 8 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Apron, shooter, and shifter are cleared.

Soooo nice.

#338 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

If Pinside had a "Best of Show" award, I nominate this project!

My vote too.

#351 8 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Good news to report. As I was emptying the trash today I noticed some pinball parts and took a quick look to find the cabinet switches. Installed them and all is well. The pinball gods were kind to me today.

Great news.

#377 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

a little expensive but you could go for 3 round lcd displays with graphics and trigger on other features in the game as well
closed graphic look
butterfly valves open
stop light signals
game rules / goals
uLCD-220RD
http://www.4dsystems.com.au/products

It would take a real electronics wizard to make that kind of set-up but it would be cool.

#391 8 years ago

Thanks so much for posting your project, it was fun to follow your progress. You have the BEST Getaway on the planet.

1 week later
#418 8 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I haven't taken a single pic that looks good. Between the reflection of the glass and the translight I give up.

Try a polarizing filter.

7 months later
#460 8 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Preparing Getaway for its first trip to a show. It will be leaving tomorrow for Arcade Expo in Banning and will be available to play Saturday night. I have been working hard on the reorchestration in preparation for the show. Getting the new sound effects, voice, music, and jingles properly dialed in is a tedious process. Amazing results but certainly not a plug and play process.
The original voice script has been redone by professional voice actors. The pinsound card allows for files to be added into folders creating a randomizing of call outs. The game started with approximately 45 call outs. Last I checked I am over 100 call outs.
The game was surprisingly missing a jackpot callout. Since I love a jackpot callout, it has been added to the games current choreography. It still has the winding engine and crash sequence but with Jackpot included! I will try and grab some video of people playing on Saturday and post them here.

Man that sounds great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 72.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-hsii-restoration-and-customization?tu=mustangpaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.