image.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image-241.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 476 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Thanks Jay!!! Seeing them side by side helps. I think both look great for different reasons. Leaving color in there is important for other reasons like the translight and the shift button is suppose to tie into the rest of the game. However, a clear insert sure completes the center area but it loses a little composition.

Whew that's tough. I'm going Clear but that's just me and I will never see this in person so you do your thing. Looks awesome so far.

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Worth a try if you really want to change the color of the insert. I like it how it is, but it's your pin! Good luck.

Thanks Dan. I like it how it is as well. I just can't see taking the risk and having to do a repair to the art.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I just can't see taking the risk and having to do a repair to the art.

Yeah, not worth it. It looks fine, it will look much different when the game is back together and the inserts are all lighting up etc.

#154 9 years ago

What an outstanding project! This is currently my favorite thread! I've done a few complete restorations and shared the progress on Pinside, but I've never had the guts to go "outside the box" like this. This is amazing!

I know you mention in your first post that this is your personal therapy and enjoyment, but seeing the type of custom work that is being produced here got me fantasizing about how cool it would be if there were a business with a full crew doing custom restorations in a timely manner. Custom artwork on cabinets, coin doors, aprons, and playfields per the customer's request. Alternate translites, alternate plastic sets, and custom mods as part of the package. Although very expensive, after seeing projects like this HSII, I'm sure there are guys in this hobby who would pay through the nose for custom games. I doubt I could ever afford to pay for that type of service, but it would be cool to see within the hobby.

Sorry, just daydreaming a little. Can't wait to see more progress.

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I know you mention in your first post that this is your personal therapy and enjoyment, but seeing the type of custom work that is being produced here got me fantasizing about how cool it would be if there were a business with a full crew doing custom restorations in a timely manner. Custom artwork on cabinets, coin doors, aprons, and playfields per the customer's request. Alternate translites, alternate plastic sets, and custom mods as part of the package. Although very expensive, after seeing projects like this HSII, I'm sure there are guys in this hobby who would pay through the nose for custom games. I doubt I could ever afford to pay for that type of service, but it would be cool to see within the hobby.

Someone definitely needs to make a matching translite for this game.

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, it's really hard to find good talent to trust with a project like this.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I figured for this project it would be Aurich, and I'm looking forward to what he comes up with (for Aliens, as well), but my ramblings were about a full customization crew:

Art director, graphic designer, airbrush artists, cab repair/pf disassemble and reassemble guys, etc., etc. It would make for an interesting TV show, as well.

#159 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

What an outstanding project! This is currently my favorite thread! I've done a few complete restorations and shared the progress on Pinside, but I've never had the guts to go "outside the box" like this. This is amazing!
Sorry, just daydreaming a little. Can't wait to see more progress.

Thanks for the kind words! I hope some people are inspired and we can watch their ideas come to life. PinballMike is doing some awesome work on his Fathom Project.

#160 9 years ago

Had to work some palms into the playfield. image.jpgimage.jpg

#161 9 years ago

This looks awesome! I'd love to see you and Kiwi Terry to do this kind of update to T2, AFM and other playfields with a lot of line-heavy artwork.

#162 9 years ago

Anything wild planned for the super charger scoop ?

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

Anything wild planned for the super charger scoop ?

What area are you asking about?

#164 9 years ago

the big chome thang at the top of the playfield . . .

#165 9 years ago

A little more shadow under those trees will give them depth.

That makes me want to suggest a flying bird which automatically suggests depth, but with its shadow on the field the illusion would be even stronger.

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

the big chome thang at the top of the playfield . . .

I have thought about it but haven't come up with anything. Certainly open to suggestions.

#167 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

A little more shadow under those trees will give them depth.
That makes me want to suggest a flying bird which automatically suggests depth, but with its shadow on the field the illusion would be even stronger.

The players perspective is not consistent on this playfield. Some areas the art is to be viewed from above and others straight on. Trying to avoid making the multiple perspectives more obvious.

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

The players perspective is not consistent on this playfield. Some areas the art is to be viewed from above and others straight on. Trying to avoid making the multiple perspectives more obvious.

Yeah, agreed. When you were asking me about some ideas it quickly became clear that very issue was something tricky to watch out for.

#169 9 years ago

Finished the striping today to match and a little bit more work on the palms. And of course, a Magnum P. I. mustache!
IMG_3519.JPGIMG_3519.JPG
IMG_3518.JPGIMG_3518.JPG

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I have thought about it but haven't come up with anything. Certainly open to suggestions.

Maybe give it some real chrome and fabricate it to look something like this? It would be badass if you could make the flaps open up with simultaneous flashlamp pulsing, as the ball is whizzing around the Supercharger.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Maybe give it some real chrome and fabricate it to look something like this? It would be badass if you could make the flaps open up with simultaneous flashlamp pulsing, as the ball is whizzing around the Supercharger.
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Except it's a Ferrari

image.jpgimage.jpg
#172 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Finished the striping today to match and a little bit more work on the palms. And of course, a Magnum P. I. mustache!
IMG_3519.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_3518.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

The stache is epic! This is definitely my favorite thread in a while. Like the others said, doing something with the supercharger would be cool. I thought about painting mine black around the red lenses to give it a more 3D look. Ferrari's don't have a hotrod scoop like that, though. A police light bar or something like that might be an option but that would be a huge project in itself.

#173 9 years ago

How about making it into an instrument cluster?

image.jpgimage.jpg
#174 9 years ago

Is there a link to any threads, websites, or pics of other custom jobs by Kiwi Terry?

#175 9 years ago

You can google kiwi terry and he will come right up.

#176 9 years ago

kiwi terry the artist, not the underworld figure... interesting google results

#177 9 years ago

Pretty funny. I googled kiwi Terry and it auto filled airbrush. I will say next time Google kiwi Terry airbrush.

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

I'm gonna barbecue your a$$ in molasses!

I love it!! One of my top 3 movies..."Smokey & the Bandit"!!

#179 9 years ago

The weekend obligations kept me from working on Getaway. I couldn't resist getting into the garage and figuring out this gear shift. It turned out to be a pain but worth the journey. The handle for future reference is pressed on over a cutout making it impossible to lubricate and slide off. I tried various methods but in the end cutting it off with a hacksaw worked the best. The replacement gear shift knob was found at PepBoys. It has seven different color settings. The fake carbon fiber look will work well with some other ideas coming down the road.

IMG_2978.jpgIMG_2978.jpg
IMG_3527.jpgIMG_3527.jpg
IMG_3528.jpgIMG_3528.jpg
IMG_3529.jpgIMG_3529.jpg
IMG_3531.jpgIMG_3531.jpg

#180 9 years ago

That's pretty neat, fits your custom theme perfect. How does it know when to light up and how long does the battery last?

#181 9 years ago

It has a push button on/off top. 2 lithium 3 volt batteries. Don't know the life of the batteries.

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

It has a push button on/off top. 2 lithium 3 volt batteries. Don't know the life of the batteries.

With 2 3v it should last a long time as long as you remember to turn it off when not in use. It just slipped over the shaft then?

#183 9 years ago

Getting some more parts put back together tonight. I hope to clear coat the cabinet this week and start reassembling.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

With 2 3v it should last a long time as long as you remember to turn it off when not in use. It just slipped over the shaft then?

The shaft is 5/8 and the knob will fit up to 9/16. There is a little more tolerance than they say. It slid over the shaft like a charm and then 3 set screws hold it snug.

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

The shaft is 5/8 and the knob will fit up to 9/16. There is a little more tolerance than they say. It slid over the shaft like a charm and then 3 set screws hold it snug.

Thanks for the info.

#186 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Getting some more parts put back together tonight. I hope to clear coat the cabinet this week and start reassembling.
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Has that been chromed? Looks beautiful.

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Has that been chromed? Looks beautiful.

Thanks. It's chrome.

#189 8 years ago

The next time I get a beat up B-title project, I'm seriously going to look into going all-out custom crazy!

What about this idea?...

Lots of guys use the under cab lighting (car collectors do it, as well), but what about inside cab lighting? Maybe trigger it to come on with the coin door? It would be cool to see a colored glow coming from inside the cabinet when you open the coin door or lift the playfield. Maybe mount an led strip on the divider and have it pointing toward the speaker/back of cab so it's not visible to the naked eye?

#190 8 years ago

B-Title? la-dee-da.

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

B-Title? la-dee-da.

Game is still super fun though. Plus this is the best thread in a while. It's updated often, the work is new, it's good, and there isn't any drama.

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

B-Title? la-dee-da.

I have nothing but love for HSII. It was the first DMD game I bought when I got back into the hobby 10 years ago. I've owned three of them, and I think it's a great game. It is a B-title, though, as it doesn't compete on the "wishlist" of collectors like AFM, MB, TZ, CV, MM, and others.

When I said "beat up B-title project," I meant no disrespect to this project, but there are a lot of very good B-title games that could use a makeover on cab art, alt translites, re-themes, etc., to make them even better.

This thread is a perfect example. After seeing what the op is doing here, if I got a WCS94, DM, JM, or FT that had a faded cab and worn playfield, I would consider a custom restore like this one before doing cab decals. That's all I meant.

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

B-Title? la-dee-da.

It IS a B-list title. That's not an insult though. It's a great game, with great flow, and a lot of f-u-n! And bang for the buck?? Hell yes!

It's still not an A-lister though.

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

The next time I get a beat up B-title project, I'm seriously going to look into going all-out custom crazy!
What about this idea?...
Lots of guys use the under cab lighting (car collectors do it, as well), but what about inside cab lighting? Maybe trigger it to come on with the coin door? It would be cool to see a colored glow coming from inside the cabinet when you open the coin door or lift the playfield. Maybe mount an led strip on the divider and have it pointing toward the speaker/back of cab so it's not visible to the naked eye?

It is in the works!!

#195 8 years ago

Made lots of progress today. Playfield was ready for an intermediate clear coat. Clearing exposes the areas that need more touchup, etc.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#196 8 years ago

We also cleared the cabinet today. Next will be to sand and then 2 more coats. Fingers crossed a little sanding and buffing and complete!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Need. More. Updates.

I figured you would respond immediatley! I need encouragement.

#198 8 years ago

Here are a few closeups of the playfield.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I figured you would respond immediatley! I need encouragement.

Just got home and saw there were updates! Love it!

Any chance you or Kiwi Terry are heading up to PAGG in a few weeks?

#200 8 years ago

Really an incredible job, buddy. If all HS2's looked like this one, I would have had one long ago. Really wonderful work!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 20.00
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 476 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-hsii-restoration-and-customization/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.