image.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image-241.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 476 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 9 years ago

After several years of benefitting from Pinside posters like Vid, PMD (mof), High_end_pins, Honda350r, as well as many others, it is time to hopefully give back a little. The goal in giving back is to inspire someone to go one step further in their own project(s), vicariously enjoy the process of restoration without the headaches, and selfishly to learn from those who will post ideas along the way and their encouraged.

Many of the amazing restorations on Pinside have illuminated my imagination to some of the possibilities. Without the online community and my local community (identified along the way), this restoration or any for that matter would not have happened. Thanks!

A little back story might help since I am pretty anonymous to the Pinside community. I am a private collector and do my own restores (with help) for my personal therapy, enjoyment of the process (dreaming, creating, planning, collaborating, sharing a beer, FINISHING, etc.), and the love of pinball. My day job is as a psychotherapist and professor. I don't have all the tools nor the expertise (gaining along the way) but I love learning and pushing my glass ceilings.

My first project was a playfield swap of Sterns Dracula. I learned a great deal on this project. Patience, not panicking, expect complications, and the infamous it is all back together but not working. I had accidentally drilled through a wire harness. Took forever to discover and felt like the village idiot when I did find it. Since then I have completed a Harlem Globetrotters, Whirlwind, Firepower, and Sinbad each time doing a little more.

Every time I do a project I try and push myself. This project is my most ambitious one yet. Like all the others so far none turned out perfect but good enough.

So here we go:

Thanks to Pat Choy at endless pinball for finding me the donor game! It had been routed for many years and appeared to have never been waxed or cleaned.

IMG_2981.jpgIMG_2981.jpgIMG_2980.jpgIMG_2980.jpgIMG_2979.jpgIMG_2979.jpgIMG_2978.jpgIMG_2978.jpgIMG_2977.jpgIMG_2977.jpg

IMG_3010.jpgIMG_3010.jpg IMG_3011.jpgIMG_3011.jpg IMG_3174.jpgIMG_3174.jpg
#2 9 years ago

This is one game that will turn out very nice for you. I'd wish you luck but from the list of your other restors you really don't need any....just a kick in the butt every once in a while when you slow down. Have fun and I'll be following.

#3 9 years ago

Cab has good color. Shame it is banged up. Playfield looks like it will clean up nice. Getaway is awesome on a clean, waxed playfield - super fast! I applaud you for taking on the challenge. Look forward to more posts.

#4 9 years ago

I started the restore about 3 weeks ago and have made some progress.

After disassembling, I started with the cabinet. Since I won't be using decals and will be doing a mixture of original art and "enhancements", the first step is making stencils. I use a product called TransferRite Ultra commonly used in the sign making business but also by airbrush artists which is where I learned about it. Easy to move from one surface to another, cuts extremely well with a blade, and is overall easy to work with.

IMG_3386.jpgIMG_3386.jpg

Kiwi Terry (airbrush artist and friend) and I took a few hours to hand draw the artwork onto the TransferRite. Honestly, Kiwi Terry doesn't allow me to help much. He can be a little touchy .

IMG_3191.jpgIMG_3191.jpg

We then mount it on white butcher paper.

IMG_3388.jpgIMG_3388.jpg

Photo copies are made so we have as many backups as needed! It isn't necessarily the least amount of work but using vinyl cutters has not proven as successful either for one off projects, which is true of all of my projects.

IMG_3391.jpgIMG_3391.jpgIMG_3390.jpgIMG_3390.jpg

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I started the restore about 3 weeks ago and have made some progress.
After disassembling, I started with the cabinet. Since I won't be using decals and will be doing a mixture of original art and "enhancements", the first step is making stencils. I use a product called TransferRite Ultra commonly used in the sign making business but also by airbrush artists which is where I learned about it. Easy to move from one surface to another, cuts extremely well with a blade, and is overall easy to work with.
IMG_3386.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
Kiwi Terry (airbrush artist and friend) and I took a few hours to hand draw the artwork onto the TransferRite. Honestly, Kiwi Terry doesn't allow me to help much. He can be a little touchy .
IMG_3191.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
We then mount it on white butcher paper.
IMG_3388.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
Photo copies are made so we have as many backups as needed! It isn't necessarily the least amount of work but using vinyl cutters has not proven as successful either for one off projects, which is true of all of my projects.
IMG_3391.jpg (Click image to enlarge)IMG_3390.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Custom airbrush art too, cool.

#6 9 years ago

After the stencils were completed and pictures were taken, it was time to take the plunge.

IMG_3220.jpgIMG_3220.jpg
IMG_3221.jpgIMG_3221.jpg
IMG_3240.jpgIMG_3240.jpg

The primer I used this time worked well. It helped fill in some of the imperfections without having to use Bondo. It won't be quite as flat overall but it will work well enough for the guy who will have to live with it.

IMG_3387.jpgIMG_3387.jpg

I stripped, sanded, coated with primer, sanded, primer, repeat, start over, hate the process, sanded, wish I could just quit, start again and eventually give up and say 'it is good enough'. If I had a little more OCD in me I could go a little further then I do. OCD: The function of dysfunction when restoring pinball machines. I won't be writing that book, but thankfully I have a little OCD but not enough to keep me stuck.

IMG_3246.jpgIMG_3246.jpg
IMG_3245.jpgIMG_3245.jpg
IMG_3241.jpgIMG_3241.jpg
IMG_3242.jpgIMG_3242.jpg

Unfortunately, I must not have taken a picture of the final product but it looked like the last one minus any Bondo showing. The process was the same for the cabinet head. No pics for some reason. Oh well, I am sure our imaginations can fill in the gaps.

#7 9 years ago

After the prep was done, it was time to lay down the base coat of black. My buddy Don and I use an easy up and drop clothes to create a paint booth outside. We always get a chuckle out of our makeshift booth. Southern California weather permits us to do this pretty much anytime of year. This breaks a number of best practices when it comes to spraying. Don't follow our lead, it is a little McGiver and a little Eddy Haskell.

IMG_3249.jpgIMG_3249.jpg
IMG_3247.jpgIMG_3247.jpg

I was able to save the original warning and labels by masking with TransferRite. It is imperceptible unless your looking for it. Then again, you would have to pull the machine away from the back wall as well.

IMG_3251.jpgIMG_3251.jpg
IMG_3252.jpgIMG_3252.jpg

We also sprayed the inside of the cabinet black and the interior and exterior bottom red with sparkle. The red coordinates with the original art but in this case (more to follow) its in homage to the original.

IMG_3392.jpgIMG_3392.jpg

#8 9 years ago

The cabinet was taken over to Kiwi Terry's for the airbrushing to begin. We also hit our first major setback. The paint delaminated in a few places when adjusting the mask.

IMG_3302.jpgIMG_3302.jpg

You can see when the stencil was removed the base coat came with it and the primer showed through. Instead of risking further delaminating after final artwork was applied I started over. A sad day for me as I hate prepping. I was back to the proverbial sanding, priming, Bondo, sanding, priming, rinse and repeat.

We don't know why we experienced delaminating but in the end we switched base coats and used House of Kolor automotive paint. It could have been anything from incompatibility of primer and base coat, bad paint, or some contaminant that kept the two from adhering. The end result took the project up another level as the final surface was much flatter.

#9 9 years ago

How long did you let the black dry before you put the stencils on?

#10 9 years ago

So we were back to the artwork after a week delay. In case your interested, a few pics on the next steps in making the stencils.

First, we applied the TransferRite to the photo copy.

IMG_3391.jpgIMG_3391.jpg

Second, we apply a second layer of TransferRite over the first layer.

IMG_3393.jpgIMG_3393.jpg

Third, we cut the top layer of TransferRite with a new x-acto knife using a straight edge whenever possible. You don't have to press very hard. If you can avoid cutting through the first layer then you won't need another photocopy as the first one can be reused for the other side.

Then the top layer is separated from the first and then aligned and applied to the cabinet. Whatever color your painting determines which part you remove.

IMG_3312.jpgIMG_3312.jpg

The yellow is fine line tape. The stencil provides the outline but many more steps are needed to create the final art. Here you see the first shade of gray being applied.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

How long did you let the black dry before you put the stencils on?

We waited three full days. If I had to guess, the black paint was bad. I had it a few years and didn't even think about it being risky to use. I will probably avoid using fine aged wood smoked paint again.

#12 9 years ago

At this point in the project, I get to sit back and watch Kiwi Terry work his magic. Check out his work online. He does some amazing art.

IMG_3313.jpgIMG_3313.jpg
IMG_3314.jpgIMG_3314.jpg
IMG_3315.jpgIMG_3315.jpg
IMG_3327.jpgIMG_3327.jpg
IMG_3328.jpgIMG_3328.jpg

I hate all the prep. Terry hates all the masking!!! I have never seen so much fine line tape used in my life. My office is 2 miles from Terry so I drop in from time to time and sit and marvel at his ability to push and pull color to create 3D effects. Hanging out with Terry also gives me the opportunity to work on my New Zealand accent.

IMG_3323.jpgIMG_3323.jpg
IMG_3322.jpgIMG_3322.jpg
IMG_3321.jpgIMG_3321.jpg
IMG_3320.jpgIMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3321-332.jpgIMG_3321-332.jpg
#13 9 years ago

More masking and airbrushing.

IMG_3378.jpgIMG_3378.jpg
IMG_3346.jpgIMG_3346.jpg
IMG_3329.jpgIMG_3329.jpg
IMG_3330.jpgIMG_3330.jpg
IMG_3344.jpgIMG_3344.jpg
IMG_3342.jpgIMG_3342.jpg
IMG_3341.jpgIMG_3341.jpg

IMG_3331.jpgIMG_3331.jpg IMG_3335.jpgIMG_3335.jpg
#14 9 years ago

The final cabinet artwork is complete.

IMG_9698.JPGIMG_9698.JPG IMG_9699.JPGIMG_9699.JPG IMG_9702.JPGIMG_9702.JPG
#15 9 years ago

Nice looking paint job!!

#16 9 years ago

That is a very cool cabinet treatment!

#17 9 years ago

That is super custom. I'd hate to have police choppers that look like that come after me. How many coats of clear are going on?

#18 9 years ago

Very cool! Why the Ferrari logo?

#19 9 years ago

Amazing!

#20 9 years ago

Yes, you're work is amazing! So much talent out there.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Yes, you're work is amazing! So much talent out there.

Yes there is but what was the cost, artwork like that costs $$$ I know guys that do cars, bikes, boats etc and one time I asked them how much it would cost to do a pin for me, I just about fell off my chair when they told me the price.

#22 9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

That is super custom. I'd hate to have police choppers that look like that come after me. How many coats of clear are going on?

2 coats and color sand. Then another 2 coats, color sand, and buff. Then who knows from there. Sometimes it is good enough but this project may push it to another round of clear.

Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Very cool! Why the Ferrari logo?

The machine will have a custom translite (Ferrari 430 will replace the existing mutt) and some reworking of the playfield art. Most of the playfield will stay original but the extent of the changes is yet to be determined.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yes there is but what was the cost, artwork like that costs $$$ I know guys that do cars, bikes, boats etc and one time I asked them how much it would cost to do a pin for me, I just about fell off my chair when they told me the price.

Some things to keep in mind if you ever want to do custom art. If you provide stencils, prep, base color, and clear, the price will be significantly less than hiring someone to do all of it for you. The vast majority of custom artwork on cars and motorcycles is in the prep. I can spray a motorcycle gas tank in 20 minutes. It will take several days to prep.

I hope to get to the clear this weekend. Pretty excited to clear it.

Scanned the playfield today with the HP 4670. Thanks Steve for loaning me one. Super easy to use.

IMG_3368.jpgIMG_3368.jpg

#23 9 years ago

I love the air brushing, the helicoptors and palm trees are great. But I thing the lettering should still be red.

#24 9 years ago

VERY KOOL ! ! !

#25 9 years ago

Not what I expected and that is not a bad thing whatsoever! Really cool.

#26 9 years ago

Anyone know whether the gear shift black handle is threaded or pressed?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Some things to keep in mind if you ever want to do custom art. If you provide stencils, prep, base color, and clear, the price will be significantly less than hiring someone to do all of it for you. The vast majority of custom artwork on cars and motorcycles is in the prep. I can spray a motorcycle gas tank in 20 minutes. It will take several days to prep.

I understand all that, if you have the time, place, equipment and talent to do all that.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I understand all that, if you have the time, place, equipment and talent to do all that.

You make a good point. It does take all those pieces to put the puzzle together. These kinds of projects aren't for everyone. My first pinball maintenance experience was in 2009 when I paid a pinball repairman to change a fuse in my first machine. The experience motivated me to learn a little more about the hobby. I clearly lost my mind shortly there after.

#29 9 years ago

I don't know how to do much and have had a tech come out a few times but those times the troubles were things like finding and replacing blown transistors and stuff. Pinball will really be taking a back seat for me when my Mustang comes back from the body shop but in the mean time I have an entire garage to finish on the inside so the car has a home to come back to. Life is toooo short.

I love your vision for the game and can't wait to see more.

#30 9 years ago

I have got my work cut out for me today with the prep of the playfield. The original plan was to find a NOS playfield but that has come up short. The cleaning, color sanding, and the repair of the scoop begins today. Then a few coats of clear, some color sanding, and then the customization of the playfield will begin.

IMG_3286.jpgIMG_3286.jpg
IMG_3285.jpgIMG_3285.jpg
IMG_3284.jpgIMG_3284.jpg
IMG_3283.jpgIMG_3283.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#31 9 years ago

I'm always amazed by guys who do airbrush work and do it well. Very cool sideart!!

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I have got my work cut out for me today with the prep of the playfield. The original plan was to find a NOS playfield but that has come up short. The cleaning, color sanding, and the repair of the scoop begins today. Then a few coats of clear, some color sanding, and then the customization of the playfield will begin.
IMG_3286.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_3285.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_3284.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_3283.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Wow your whites are still nice and white but man is that thing dirty. Looks like it will clean up nice though.

#33 9 years ago

Side art is killer. Could use some red but still awesome. The original art is lacking so like what you did. Maybe your airbrush guy can touch up the play field.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Maybe your airbrush guy can touch up the play field.

I have a feeling we aint seen nuttin yet.

#35 9 years ago

very nice work with the airbrush.

you have now a one of a kind machine.

#36 9 years ago

I Love It!!!! Cabinet is f*cking awesome....wow!

#37 9 years ago

was about to throw away my old hp scanjet 4670 since it doesn't work with win7. Did you get it to work win a later os than xp? Great looking cabinet!

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from slydog43:

was about to throw away my old hp scanjet 4670 since it doesn't work with win7. Did you get it to work win a later os than xp? Great looking cabinet!

Use the Vista 64-bit drivers. Works perfectly.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I have a feeling we aint seen nuttin yet.

Some surprises coming... hopefully good ones.

Quoted from rgb635:I Love It!!!! Cabinet is f*cking awesome....wow!

Thanks! I can always use the encouragement.

Only had about an hour today to work on the playfield. Did some sanding and cleanup.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#40 9 years ago

Dang, those inserts look perfect. Any of them raised?

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Dang, those inserts look perfect. Any of them raised?

I am pleased to say none are raised or sunken! Total luck. This playfield has held up well.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I am pleased to say none are raised or sunken! Total luck. This playfield has held up well.

That's great news. Since your going to do the pf custom (and probably clear the pf) may I suggest you epoxy the inserts in as an insurance measure.

#43 9 years ago

Today I worked on repairing some playfield wear and tear. Three spots needed some Bondo work. The saucer was a two step process with epoxy as the base and Bondo as the finisher.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-121.jpgimage-121.jpg image-198.jpgimage-198.jpg image-67.jpgimage-67.jpg
#44 9 years ago

I also worked on the shooter lane.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#45 9 years ago

Very cool! Keep the pictures coming .

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Scanned the playfield today with the HP 4670. Thanks Steve for loaning me one. Super easy to use.

I didn't even know Steve owned one when I suggested it, but it seems obvious in retrospect that he would.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I didn't even know Steve owned one when I suggested it, but it seems obvious in retrospect that he would.

Another one showed up after the fact. They are like gremlins apparently.

#48 9 years ago

We put a few coats of clear on today so some playfield touch up work can happen this weekend.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Another one showed up after the fact. They are like gremlins apparently.

Did you get them wet?

#50 9 years ago

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing more pics. Love the cabinet art!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Trade
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 72.50
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

There are 476 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-hsii-restoration-and-customization and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.