You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0771 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0767.2020-02-25 16_17_46 (resized).png

#1 4 years ago

Have been trying to get a Lighted Pinball Mods Lighted Speaker Panel mod working in my Getaway; the DMD has been working fine and I wasn't messing with its connections, and now this happened (see video) while I was trying to get my power tap off of J116 working correctly to supply power to the new speaker panel. Any idea what I need to look at next regarding the DMD display? I did try reseating both connectors to the DMD but no dice. The game does boot up and lights work but I get the error ding ding ding ding ding thing indicating something is wrong. Thanks.

IMG_0767.2020-02-25 16_17_46 (resized).pngIMG_0767.2020-02-25 16_17_46 (resized).png
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Flippingr8:

The game does boot up and lights work but I get the error ding ding ding ding ding thing indicating something is wrong.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Your DMD issues and reported sound board failure should have nothing to do with the area you were messing with so I'm gonna toss out some wild speculations.

You blew your +5 fuse while testing voltages at J116. This would normally not allow the game to boot at all and just hold all your boards in reset; however, you have a Khar daughter board powering your CPU from regulated 12V which is allowing it to boot. Or perhaps you accidentally disconnected the cable that powers your other boards?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

[quoted image]
Your DMD issues and reported sound board failure should have nothing to do with the area you were messing with so I'm gonna toss out some wild speculations.
You blew your +5 fuse while testing voltages at J116. This would normally not allow the game to boot at all and just hold all your boards in reset; however, you have a Khar daughter board powering your CPU from regulated 12V which is allowing it to boot. Or perhaps you accidentally disconnected the cable that powers your other boards?

Pin_Guy - you were exactly right. Fuse F116 was blown and when I replaced it the DMD worked properly. Additionally learned that I must have installed the power tap for my Lighted Pinball Mods Lighted Speaker panel incorrectly. When I paid better attention to that, I got the correct voltage into the power tap, and my panel now works correctly. Results shown below. Thanks much!

IMG_0771 (resized).jpegIMG_0771 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 72.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-hsii-dmd-failure-cause and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.