58%
  • L3 1 vote
    3%
  • L5 6 votes
    18%

(33 votes)

#1 10 years ago

Hi,

Ok, finally got my Getaway more or less back together and noticed that it is running rom version P-C which according to the IPDB website is one of the prototype ROMS (maybe kind of explains some things/differences I noticed about my unit vs. other units).

Any event I have seen the chart and read the threads, but there really isn't anyplace that suggests changes/problem with the P-C version of ROM. I did burn myself a version of the L2 ROM, so in your (everyone's) opinion, should I just install it? Or has the preference changed to a different version? I didn't find anything specific about the L3 version either.

Thanks for any input.
Tim

#2 10 years ago

I have the L-5 version and I think it's great. Since it's the latest version, I would assume it to be the better although I hear a lot of people like L-2. L-2 they say has run the red light, but I don't quite understand this. In L-5 when you lock the third ball and just before multiball starts, it says "suspect ran a red light" and then starts multiball. Can someone explain what is "run the red light" in version L-2? Is it a totally separate mode when you reach a certain gear or???

#3 10 years ago

It's a display effect. The DMD will flash the words RUN THE RED LIGHT individually and quickly, accompanyed by sound effects. It then it shows the whole phrase on two lines. with another sound.

It's a minor part of the game, but its removal is an example of "stupid voluntary censorship" and that annoys many people. It's a cool effect as lock three is lit and helps build intensity.

#4 10 years ago

I've used both L-5 and L-2 and prefer L-2. I do want to try the prototype ROM and see what that one does.

#5 10 years ago

L-2 here. That's what the game came with and after reading the pro's and cons, I decided that it's about 50/50 so stuck with it.

#6 10 years ago

Always wondered what happened to L-4? Seems they skipped that level and went to L-5.

#7 10 years ago

Where's the L2 vs L5 comparison list? Anyone have the link handy?

#8 10 years ago

I had L2 when I owned the game... it had some kind of a glitch in it that caused the ramp to go up and down when hitting the right orbit shot. Triggering another switch would make it stop. I installed the L5 right before I sold it and the problem went away.

I did a ton of research on the matter... L5 is a good one.

#10 10 years ago

I was L-2 for a few years, and now I'm L-5. Both are fine in my opinion.

For years I played it trying to hit the targets and running the red light. Then as it was at a friends house I watched him making a mad dash for Redline Mania. He was crushing my scores. Now that I have it back I am playing it the same way. Making the mad dash for RPMs with orbits, redline it, and then work for the super jackpots! If you fail, run it right back through the gears and keep trying. It made it WAY more fun to play. I'll still run the red light, but starting at the 100 million super jackpot makes redline mania the place to be.

#11 10 years ago

I stand corrected. I was originally running L1... upgraded to L2.

L1 had issues. L2 did not.

#12 10 years ago

That sounds more like it, L-2 seems to work really good.

#13 10 years ago

L-5 here and very happy with it.

Mike

#14 10 years ago

Mine came with L1, I tried P7 (liked it but missed the better graphics of the non-protos), but ended up happiest with L2. Don't think I've tried L5...

#15 10 years ago

Maybe you should add a poll to this thread?

#16 10 years ago

Ok, poll added.

I tried L2 quickly yesterday after I posted and the only thing that jumped out at me was some different default settings - I didn't play the game long enough to notice the game play difference (nor did I notice the graphic improvements - shows how observant I was). But I also 'suck' at playing as well...

Cheers,

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

Mine came with L1, I tried P7 (liked it but missed the better graphics of the non-protos), but ended up happiest with L2. Don't think I've tried L5...

Thanks for the info on P-7, sounds like L-2 or maybe L-5 might be the better choice.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Where's the L2 vs L5 comparison list? Anyone have the link handy?

Yes, that's the table I posted...

I run L-2 and liked L-5, except for the multiball bug...which is really, really annoying.

I asked recently that the L-5 ROM be modified to remove the bug, but the response back was that WMS forbids their ROM to be modified, so to fix L-5 someone would have to rewrite the entire rule set; which is never going to happen.

Robert

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Yes, that's the table I posted...
I run L-2 and liked L-5, except for the multiball bug...which is really, really annoying.
I asked recently that the L-5 ROM be modified to remove the bug, but the response back was that WMS forbids their ROM to be modified, so to fix L-5 someone would have to rewrite the entire rule set; which is never going to happen.
Robert

I have seen a small program floating around that is suppose to modify OEM ROM images to prevent 'ghosting' of LED's for Williams games. No idea if it works or not, but maybe this is a way around that so that each person can make the changes themselves if they wish?

#20 10 years ago

The quote from the other thread on which game ROM to modify next...

Quoted from jamescardona:

the WMS stance is that we cannot use any of their code so to avoid harassment over this issue FREEWPC rewrites all of the code from scratch. Unfortunately the animations and fonts are included on that chip also. The sound is not. Therefore, we leave the original sound chips and use those sounds - no problem. We have to change all the animations and fonts though. What I did with DM was try to pick a font that was close. You are correct that all my animations are different although I did draw a few that look close to the original.

I have only briefly gone through the animation screens on NGG - I will make some attempt at drawing the gofers but they might not look exactly the same as original. In my demolition time code I put about 10 times more animations in than were originally present but that was all based on a movie so there was plenty of material. Some have suggested using caddyshack as a base for NGG, which may happen - not sure at this point. If you know of any artists who are willing to work on this with me then that would be very cool.

#22 10 years ago

You can hack the rom all you want for your own use. No one is going to get cited for farting around with their own game, it would fall under fair use. Distributing the hacked rom, however, would violate WMS's copyright.

3 weeks later
#23 10 years ago

What is the multiball bug in L-5?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

What is the multiball bug in L-5?

I would like to know this as well. I have the L5 version and I have yet to experience any multiball bugs/problems...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 72.50
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-hs2-rom-yet-another-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.