Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I just got a Getaway and realized the supercharger was slow. When I look closely, I found that the second of the 3 magnets in the supercharger doesn't work. So I look at the supercharger board Under the playfield, the transistor that drives the magnet is missing and the resistance just above it is burnt. I tought it would be simple to repair... I changed the burnt resistance, the magnet, 3 transistors on the supercharger board, the 2 transistor on the main power board, 2 diodes on the s.c. board, redo all the soldering on the s.c. board, check the wires for sign of damage, check the traces/continuety on the boards and I still get the same problem, everytime I throw a ball in the supercharger, the fuse blows, but if I don't plug the second magnet, everything is fine. Please help

#2 8 years ago

Measure the resistance of the magnet across the two wires. It should probably be something in the neighborhood of 5 ohms, although you can measure one of the good ones as a reference.

If the resistance is near zero, you can start unwinding the wire a bit to see if you can visually identify where it's shorted. If that doesn't work, you'll have to replace the magnet.

#3 8 years ago

Do these have a transistor on the board? If so, I would check that too.

#4 8 years ago

Check also the opto transmitter and opto receiver in front of magnet.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5 8 years ago

The resistance of the coil is the same then the others and it is a new coil, I changed all three transistor on the supercharger board and the 2 corresponding ones on the power board. All the opto have been tested and works well.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from xkane47:

The resistance of the coil is the same then the others and it is a new coil, I changed all three transistor on the supercharger board and the 2 corresponding ones on the power board. All the opto have been tested and works well.

Crap, I'm sorry, I guess I didn't read the whole original post about how you had already changed that. I do that a lot.

So at this point, I would have to assume that there is a short somewhere on the wires correlating to these magnets. Is it possible that the diverter just before the first magnet has pinched the wire over time?

#7 8 years ago

Check the Q5 (TIP102) on s.c board.
In my same event the TIP102 also burned.

#8 8 years ago

The q5 has been changed and I recheck all the wires, there is no sign of pinch or grouding somewhere. I also check exactely when the fuse blow is when the ball pass trough the second coil of the supercharger, if i disable it, the fuse doesn't blow. I recheck every diode on the board... Is it possible that one of the 3 chips on the s.c. board is bad? at this point it is the only thing left that I can think of

#9 8 years ago

Take out coil 2. Put coil 1 in coil 2 place and tested again. If coil 1 works then Q5 is good and coil 2 is bad. I know it ohm tested fine. The only thing left is a bad coil.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-hs2-fuse-blow-because-of-the-supercharger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.