(Topic ID: 280100)

Getaway: High Speed II - Ball Launcher - Variable?

By AJSDave

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by spikedbat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201023_222621_resized (resized).jpg
20201023_222839_resized (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

I recently bought a Getaway II. I noticed that the ball launcher solenoid varies the force it delivers to the ball. Sometimes it shoots the ball around the top loop past the upper flipper, other times it barely makes it to the three bumpers.

Is this typical behavior? Is it time for a launch solenoid replacement?

Thanks! Dave

#2 3 years ago

The coil itself cannot be "variable". It could , lose power over time if internal shorts happen and the coil itself then is modified, but it cannot vary back and forth between strong and less strong. If all your coils would act that way, then you could start thinking there's an issue with the power and voltage dips.

There are many factors that can affect the ball, the first ones being the plunger tip's condition, and where exactly it hits on the ball. Then as soon as the ball launches, what happens? does it hit the sides, deviate when it enters a track on the playfield or does it follow a metal rail that could be misaligned and it sends the ball not exactly where it should.. This is exactly what happened on my fish tales. The plunger didn't hit the ball dead center, the tip is a little worn as well and as soon as the ball launches , there's a guide on the playfield, but sometimes the ball bounces off that guide and goes crooked. Right after that it hits a metal rail, that would send the ball towards the bottom too much. After re-aligning the plunger as best as I could (im about to order a replacement bracket because this one was welded back together, crooked), wasting lots of time on the guide for nothing, since every launched ball is different, and re-aligning the metal rail, I do not have that feeling that the coil varies anymore.. The ball now always reaches the track it should.. Speed might vary at times, but that now depends on how it hit the other rail , then the spinner.. etc

As I was suggested, most smart phones have slow motion modes nowadays, which helps to see what happens with the ball when it launches , and where it might lose it's speed. Just changing the coil most likely won't help , but since you most likely need to remove the bracket to change the coil, you might end up re-aligning it better than it was, without noticing it happened.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the detailed response. The description of possible causes is very helpful and I will investigate further.

I know that a properly functioning solenoid has fixed inductance/resistance, but I was wondering if the designers intended to vary voltage to the solenoid randomly change the ball launch characteristics. It sounds like this isn't the case and I need to look for the items you described...

#4 3 years ago

I recall these once shipped with a smaller coil as seen on most auto launch games of this era but was eventually updated to a stronger coil and bracket. Can you post a picture of the coil here? You might have an old style.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from AJSDave:

I recently bought a Getaway II.

Actually, the game is referred to as either “Getaway” or “ High Speed II”, but never “Getaway II”. It was my intro into pinball a few years ago, and a great game. You are going to have a lot of fun with it. The Getaway owners thread is great if you’ve not already checked it out.

#6 3 years ago

Check that the ball is not hitting this post as it passes.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
#7 3 years ago

Attached are some pictures of the coil. It appears to be full size.

The ball isn't hitting the bumper as noted in the picture. The ball velocity is just low at times.

The solenoid sleeve is in poor condition. Perhaps the plunger is dragging? Given the poor condition of the sleeve and the look of the coil, I think I'll replace the assembly and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks, Dave

20201023_222621_resized (resized).jpg20201023_222621_resized (resized).jpg20201023_222839_resized (resized).jpg20201023_222839_resized (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#8 3 years ago

I replaced the coil and sleeve. I aligned the assy carefully to ensure the ball rested evenly in the sleeve. Launching is still variable force. Either there is something wrong with the electronics powering the coil or the power is intended to vary by design.

As far as power issues go, I guess that something as simple as the launch switch resistance could be the culprit.

Can any of the getaway owners weigh in on the consistency of their launch mechanisms? It would help to know if this behavior is typical.

Thanks,

Dave

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from AJSDave:

I replaced the coil and sleeve. I aligned the assy carefully to ensure the ball rested evenly in the sleeve. Launching is still variable force. Either there is something wrong with the electronics powering the coil or the power is intended to vary by design.
As far as power issues go, I guess that something as simple as the launch switch resistance could be the culprit.
Can any of the getaway owners weigh in on the consistency of their launch mechanisms? It would help to know if this behavior is typical.
Thanks,
Dave

There is no variability in the strength of the launch. It is meant to be consistently the same strength every time. The switch is not the problem. As long as it activates, it works.

Check the connectors and solder joints on the high current driver board mounted below the playfield. This is where the plunger coil gets its power from. If something is wrong with those connections, it could result in lower coil power.

#10 3 years ago

The connectors on the high current driver board were the culprit! It now punches the ball around the top loop consistently.

Thanks!!

2 years later
#11 1 year ago

I'm having the exact same issue on my Getaway.
I've replaced male & female connectors on the driver board. Even had a new coil & sleeve so I've tried that.
Alignment seemed off as somebody had placed large washers under the plunger assembly. I've played with it until my wits end and it removed them, put them back. But the ball just shoots out really weak. At best it makes it up to the top and drops into the pops.
I've moved the rail as it was so weak it would hit the post but now it goes around the rail but still so slow.Can't really see anything rubbing on the plunge either in slo-mo video.

Any other ideas?

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from spikedbat:

I'm having the exact same issue on my Getaway.
I've replaced male & female connectors on the driver board. Even had a new coil & sleeve so I've tried that.
Alignment seemed off as somebody had placed large washers under the plunger assembly. I've played with it until my wits end and it removed them, put them back. But the ball just shoots out really weak. At best it makes it up to the top and drops into the pops.
I've moved the rail as it was so weak it would hit the post but now it goes around the rail but still so slow.Can't really see anything rubbing on the plunge either in slo-mo video.
Any other ideas?

Just to be sure, you mean the high current board under the pf right? I know that one has caused this issue for many.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

Just to be sure, you mean the high current board under the pf right? I know that one has caused this issue for many.

Yes I board under PF.

1 week later
#14 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

So I took my high current board over to my buddy's place and tried it in his Getaway. His shooter shots the ball very fast and strong. My high current board definitely worked like his when I swapped them. So I'm fairly certain that isn't the problem.
I've taken slo motion video of my ball launching and it looks like it moves fairly smooth and I don't believe that is the problem. It's just that the coil isn't firing the ball hard like his was. It's gotta be something to do with the electronics. I've inspected the connections on the driver board and reseated them. They all look fine and nothing visual can be noted.

Anybody have any ideas at this point? Voltage at the coil measured at 70v, and using max/min on my DMM I measured the voltage dropping to 50v at the low point when the coil is fired. I was told this is still fine by an expert. I'm stuck at this point with what to do. shotgun replace the connectors on the driver board which power this circuit??

#15 1 year ago

are you using a shooter lane protector

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from spikedbat:

So I took my high current board over to my buddy's place and tried it in his Getaway. His shooter shots the ball very fast and strong. My high current board definitely worked like his when I swapped them. So I'm fairly certain that isn't the problem.
I've taken slo motion video of my ball launching and it looks like it moves fairly smooth and I don't believe that is the problem. It's just that the coil isn't firing the ball hard like his was. It's gotta be something to do with the electronics. I've inspected the connections on the driver board and reseated them. They all look fine and nothing visual can be noted.
Anybody have any ideas at this point? Voltage at the coil measured at 70v, and using max/min on my DMM I measured the voltage dropping to 50v at the low point when the coil is fired. I was told this is still fine by an expert. I'm stuck at this point with what to do. shotgun replace the connectors on the driver board which power this circuit??

I have hard time diagnosing so I usually swap out a known working board just to try an eliminate the electronics. Do you have a wpc mpu/ driver board you could try as well? My understanding would be if your high current works in your friends, you know its not that.
If a working driver doesnt solve it, then I would think its a connector or some hidden mechanical issue. But I dont know how much that main board comes into play.

1 week later
#17 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

I have hard time diagnosing so I usually swap out a known working board just to try an eliminate the electronics. Do you have a wpc mpu/ driver board you could try as well? My understanding would be if your high current works in your friends, you know its not that.
If a working driver doesnt solve it, then I would think its a connector or some hidden mechanical issue. But I dont know how much that main board comes into play.

Posting my follow up since I finally figured out my issue. I was lucky enough to have a buddy with a HS2 so I took my assembly over to his place and installed it in his pin. Same results as in my pin so that told me it was the problem. After closer examination and comparing the two I realized my plunger was a smaller tipped version and a bit shorter. I got lucky and had a spare new plunger in my parts collection and after install it now plungers hard and fast.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-high-speed-ii-ball-launcher-variable?hl=roamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.