Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Backbox flashers (resized).jpg
02_solenoid_circuits.jpg
01_solenoid_table.jpg
E153CFA6-D837-4BEB-8E5C-F72436A7B460 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Are the 555 flashers in the backglass of Getaway High Speed II 12 volt or 6.3 volt? I put 12 volt 5smd flashers in there and they are awfully dim. The 12 volt 555 flashers in the supercharger seem to be fine.

#2 3 years ago

If you check the solenoid table in the game manual. Flashers that are 12 volt all seem to be on the playfield.

Didn't say anything about flashers in the backbox. If it's all GI lighting it would be 6.3 volt.

If the game flashes them, and doesn't burn them out instantly, they'd be 6.3 volts. #555 would burn out fast when 20 volt hits them, unlike a 12 volt bulb.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you check the solenoid table in the game manual. Flashers that are 12 volt all seem to be on the playfield.
Didn't say anything about flashers in the backbox. If it's all GI lighting it would be 6.3 volt.
If the game flashes them, and doesn't burn them out instantly, they'd be 6.3 volts. #555 would burn out fast when 20 volt hits them, unlike a 12 volt bulb.

They are flashing but very dim. They are 12 volt 555 bulbs that I put in. The FreeRide flasher underneath the playfield is also flashing dimly.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Lpilot1:

They are 12 volt 555 bulbs that I put in.

You mean you put 906 or 912 bulbs in ?

All 555 bulbs are 6.3 volt.

Both are wedge base.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You mean you put 906 or 912 bulbs in ?
All 555 bulbs are 6.3 volt.
Both are wedge base.

I think some flashers on this game are 555s aren’t they or did I miss something? Every flasher I bought is 12 volt.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Lpilot1:

I think some flashers on this game are 555s aren’t they or did I miss something? Every flasher I bought is 12 volt.

I don't have the game to check.

The manual lists flashers on the solenoid table that are 12 volt, they get briefly hit with 20 volts.

If you put a 555 bulb in a socket and it gets hit with 20 volts, it burns out instantly. If lit normally it's 6.3 volt socket. If you put a 12 volt bulb in and it's dim, then it should have been a 555 6.3 volt bulb.

#555 bulbs are all 6.3 volt. They don't make a #555 bulb in any other voltage. #906 or #912 bulbs are 12 volt bulbs, commonly used in wedge base sockets that get hit with 20 volts to flash brightly briefly.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to explain this any better.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The manual lists flashers on the solenoid table that are 12 volt, they get briefly hit with 20 volts.

The names of these flashers and locations are listed on the solenoid table. None are in the backbox.

#8 3 years ago

I might add I don't have the game to check.

In the backbox the game might blink some of the #555 bulbs, or someone may have put in some #545 blinking 6.3 volt bulbs.

There is a difference between blinking and flashing.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I might add I don't have the game to check.
In the backbox the game might blink some of the #555 bulbs, or someone may have put in some #545 blinking 6.3 volt bulbs.
There is a difference between blinking and flashing.

I understand what you’re saying. What Im saying is that I put in 555 base 12 volt flashers. See attached pic. I’m trying to find out if they’re supposed to be 6.3 volt instead of 12 volt. They are flashing very dim. The 12 volt bayonet base flashers on the playfield are blinding and normal. These aren’t. I can’t find anything in the manual. I guess I’m not looking in the right place. People really do this for fun? Lol!

E153CFA6-D837-4BEB-8E5C-F72436A7B460 (resized).jpegE153CFA6-D837-4BEB-8E5C-F72436A7B460 (resized).jpeg
#10 3 years ago

Pretty sure the backbox is all regular 555 bulbs. I have 2 of these I keep running and I don’t recall any flashers in the backbox but I can look next time I’m there.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Lpilot1:

They are flashing very dim.

If 12 volt ones are dim, they aren't getting enough voltage. Likely 6.3 volts is what voltage is there.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Pretty sure the backbox is all regular 555 bulbs. I have 2 of these I keep running and I don’t recall any flashers in the backbox but I can look next time I’m there.

Ok. Thanks!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Lpilot1:

What Im saying is that I put in 555 base

The 12 volt flashers you are pushing into the 555 sockets, are a little larger. And might hurt the socket or the metal clips inside the socket that grip the bulb.

These are both wedge base bulbs.

#555 6.3 volt T3-1/4 Glass Wedge Base

12 volt T5 Glass Wedge Base ( typically #906 or #912 bulbs )

Your picture is 12 volt wedge base. They are a tiny bit larger than a 6.3 volt #555 wedge base.

#14 3 years ago

Most games have flashers in the backbox (also referred to as insert in the manual).

System 11 games generally use #44/#47 bayonet sockets for GI (6.3VAC). They generally use #89 bayonet sockets for flashers (12VDC powered by nominal 20VDC). The size difference in the bayonet sockets makes it obvious which bulb is which.

WPC games general use #555 wedge sockets for GI and #906 wedge sockets. The size difference is so similar that the sockets are a different color to differentiate them. The GI #555 wedge sockets are WHITE (natural). The flasher #906 wedge sockets are BLACK. You can also tell because the wiring servicing the flashers is RED-WHT for the power and BLK-*** or BLU-*** for the drive.

The exception to this is Pat Lawlor games that used either #44/#47 bayonets for #455 BLINKERS (not flashers) or #555 wedges for #545 BLINKERS (not flashers). The blinkers are powered using 6.3VAC just like the GI (in fact they are on the GI circuits).

I don't have a Getaway so I am using the manual (and assuming the manual is correct).

There appears to be five flashers in the backbox.

01_solenoid_table.jpg01_solenoid_table.jpg

All the drive wires are connected to J125.

02_solenoid_circuits.jpg02_solenoid_circuits.jpg

If you want confirmation you can take pictures of the backbox (from behind), one of the connector at J125 and post them here so the above information can be verified.

3 months later
#15 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Most games have flashers in the backbox (also referred to as insert in the manual).
System 11 games generally use #44/#47 bayonet sockets for GI (6.3VAC). They generally use #89 bayonet sockets for flashers (12VDC powered by nominal 20VDC). The size difference in the bayonet sockets makes it obvious which bulb is which.
WPC games general use #555 wedge sockets for GI and #906 wedge sockets. The size difference is so similar that the sockets are a different color to differentiate them. The GI #555 wedge sockets are WHITE (natural). The flasher #906 wedge sockets are BLACK. You can also tell because the wiring servicing the flashers is RED-WHT for the power and BLK-*** or BLU-*** for the drive.
The exception to this is Pat Lawlor games that used either #44/#47 bayonets for #455 BLINKERS (not flashers) or #555 wedges for #545 BLINKERS (not flashers). The blinkers are powered using 6.3VAC just like the GI (in fact they are on the GI circuits).
I don't have a Getaway so I am using the manual (and assuming the manual is correct).
There appears to be five flashers in the backbox.
[quoted image]
All the drive wires are connected to J125.
[quoted image]
If you want confirmation you can take pictures of the backbox (from behind), one of the connector at J125 and post them here so the above information can be verified.

What’s the difference in “Flasher” and “Special Drive”?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Lpilot1:

What’s the difference in “Flasher” and “Special Drive”?

The "Flasher" is a dedicated flasher circuit. There is no tieback diode on the power board. It must be a resistive load and implicitly it cannot be an inductive load (without a diode at the solenoid that would violate the pattern).

The "Special Drive" is a general purpose circuit. It can be either a flasher (resistive load) or a solenoid (inductive load). When the circuit is used as an inductive load a tieback wire must be used to connect the power (voltage) supply to the tieback diode that is present on the power board.

For your purpose (this problem) there is no difference as you are asking solely about the flashers.

1 week later
#17 3 years ago

Pic of backbox flasher bulbs labelled.

Backbox flashers (resized).jpgBackbox flashers (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Electronics
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods
Plastics
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 20.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 72.50
$ 49.99
3,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Coalinga, CA
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-high-speed-ii-backglass-flashers?hl=alexrogan84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.