(Topic ID: 138228)

Getaway: help with ball lock coil locking on - CPU board at fault.

By LongJohns

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by LongJohns
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wpc89-cpu-a.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider longjohns.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Gentlemen (and ladies),

I have a problem withe the ball lock coil locking on. I have narrowed it down to the CPU board (swapping boards) and looking for some further help or advise on narrowing it down some more.

History: at some point in the past the batteries had leaked on the board and that has been cleaned up and all the IC's below the holder have been socketed and replaced. GI lighting is intermittent - which is also a problem with this CPU board.

Now, from what I can gather from the drawings, it looks like either U20 (ULN2803A) or U4 (68B09EP CPU) can be the issues, but wanted to check here with someone that may have more experience at WPC CPU board repair than me on their thoughts (maybe I am out in left field?). Any comments on the GI lighting "section" would be helpful as well.

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

Did you check the transistor on the driver board?It could be shorted

Thanks for your reply, but the problem follows the CPU board when it is moved to a different game - or if I install a different CPU board in the game it solves the issue(s). So it is not the ribbons cables or any thing else in the game.

Quoted from zaza:

Is coil locking on because of an activated switch or is it randomly firing the coil (and GI) ?
If it is a problem with switches then check all of them in switch test T1.
Else check components in red circles for corrosion and/or re-seat them in their socket.

Thank you for the reply, U12 has been replaced (new chip and I installed a socket) - pulled U4 and it looks ok and does U9. J211 seems to look ok as well. Granted I haven't tested the board in the game since reseating U9.

I did notice some thing a bit different when I was doing a quick check (bench testing) on U1 (pins 17 and 18) with a logic probe - will have to dig out the scope and look into this further.

Of note this isn't a hard failure, the game will play fine for a short time and either the GI lights will go out (usually at power up) or the coil will lock on - turn off and let it sit and power back on and sometimes the problem may have fixed itself. Haven't notice any other odd things.

One other thing is when I hooked the board up on the bench, it really seemed to load down the 5 volt line and had the adjust the voltage up to bring the level back up to 5 volts (went from 5.0 volts no load to 4.61 volts with the board powered) - not sure if this is because I am using a crappy power supply. Of course this could be because of a bad IC (or something).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider longjohns.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-help-with-ball-lock-coil-locking-on-cpu-board-at-fault?tu=longjohns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.