(Topic ID: 91537)

Getaway failure involves all lights, solenoids nut not DMD or audio.

By Kazak

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by steve1515
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_1051.JPG
DSC_1054.JPG
424px-WPC_Power_Summary.jpg
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

J120 is AC volts, so make sure your meter is set to that. It's used for GI lighting. If you have missing pins from what I posted, that's ok, just note it down when posting results.

#52 9 years ago

J120 pin 7 fluctuates around pin 2VDC. and pin 8 fluctuates around 2.5CDV.

#53 9 years ago

Should I take my ribbin cable out of TAF abd try iy in Getaway? Don't wont to do more damage.

#54 9 years ago

You could put the TAF ribbon in Getaway.

Also, double/triple check that you have all the pins lined up correctly.

i quite literally got a job fixing pins @ an arcade way back in the day, by watching the manager attempt to fix a TAF, and pointing out "if you shift that cable over one pin, I bet it works" .... it did, I got to play the game (which is what I wanted in the first place), and he offered me a job fixing his games.

That led to 7 years fixing games at a distributor, and a longtime hobby.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Kazak:

J120 pin 7 fluctuates around pin 2VDC. and pin 8 fluctuates around 2.5CDV.

J120 is AC not DC, try it with your meter set on Volts AC.

Also, try out litz's suggestion, it might work.

#56 9 years ago

Steve1515, measured J120 It has pins one and two connected and pin 7 is 2.54 VAC, pin 8 is 2.78VAC.
-litz, pins all lined up ok. Befor trying ribbon swap with TAF, should I plug all other things back into Getaway board?

#57 9 years ago

Just swapped my J122 - J113 ribbon cable wtih my TAF and it works fine. Next move?

#58 9 years ago

That is to say the Adams still works. The Getaway is still ill.

#59 9 years ago

Pull J102 (the secondary wire for the +20 and +50), and try the Addams cpu in the Getaway, see if the playfield lights and GI come up.

(if you disable the flasher/solenoid power, you basically turn the game into a test fixture; you can run any cpu software you want, and it won't damage anything on the playfield)

At this point, your issue is one of two things ... either the main buffer chip that feeds the data bus over to the power driver has failed, or the blanking circuit won't release.

#60 9 years ago

I agree with litz. Let us know how the test turns out.

EDIT: Hmm, I just realized that even though I type the underscore in litz's name, it isn't showing up.

2 weeks later
#61 9 years ago

Have switched boards around and have found the culprit is the Getaway CPU board. Power driver assembly boards are all OK. What next?

P.S. Sorry it's been a while.

#62 9 years ago

While I'm at it, after swapping the Power Driver Assembly boards in TAF and Getaway, I notice that lamp matrix column 8 (the T-H-I-N-G lights, the start button) is down on TAF (game plays fine on both PDAs, but with those lights not working). This would indicate that the TAF CPU also has a fault, yes?

#63 9 years ago

Hmm... So, you put Getaway's Power Driver board into TAF and the THING lights didn't work? Is that correct?

That sounds like the maybe you have a problem with the power driver board (or the ribbon cable).

How did you determine that there was a problem with the CPU board?

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

Hmm... So, you put Getaway's Power Driver board into TAF and the THING lights didn't work? Is that correct?
That sounds like the maybe you have a problem with the power driver board (or the ribbon cable).
How did you determine that there was a problem with the CPU board?

First, TAF lamp matrix column 8 was dying slowly - light by light over a few weeks. When I swapped power driver boards, I still have the same problem on TAF but rest of game still works, therefor I assume that both power driver boards are OK (with J102 disconnected on Getaway and the TAF CPU installed, I get lights back on Getaway).

Clearer? So both power boards seem OK and each CPU seems to have a fault. I dont suspect ribbon cable, as swapping these gave same results. so... ????

#65 9 years ago

Hmm... Could it be that both ribbon cables are bad? Maybe you could order one cheaply and try it out: https://greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=52

If I have time in the next few days, I'll take a look at the schematics and see if I see anything else to test out.

Hopefully someone else chimes in with some suggestions.

So, to recap...
You have a HS2 that has no lamps (GI and Regular) working and also doesn't have any solenoids working.
But, when you put in a TAF CPU, you get GI and Regular lamps working again.
Correct?

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

Hmm... Could it be that both ribbon cables are bad? Maybe you could order one cheaply and try it out: https://greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=52
So, to recap...
You have a HS2 that has no lamps (GI and Regular) working and also doesn't have any solenoids working.
But, when you put in a TAF CPU, you get GI and Regular lamps working again.
Correct?

That is correct. I appreciate your assistance. I doubt both ribbon cables would die simultaneously, but will retest to be certain.

#67 9 years ago

Ribbon cables can be fault checked by reversing them ...

Most of the WMS ribbon cables are "signal" down one side of the cable and "ground" down the other side, so if you reverse both ends, you change all the "signal" conductors to the other set.

They DO go bad, too ... I've been to more than a few service calls where I look in the backbox, pull off the power driver ribbon, flip it over, plug it back on and the game works ...

#68 9 years ago

!!! Just put Getaway back together and it's working! Don't know whether it was a cable swap or reverse or just some bad connection.
TAF is also working except for the lamps below the DMD ( *-T-H-I-N-G-*). The credit button light works which is the only other lamp on lamp matrix column 8.
Also the RPM lights below 3rd, 4th and 5th gear lights are not working properly on Getaway; they flash irregularly in attract mode and not properly during game play. I haven't spent any time looking into this yet as I have only just got Getaway going.
Thanks heaps to steve1515 and litz for patience and assistance.
I will check in to see if you have any ideas re these two remaining faults.

Should I put the TAF fault as a new topic in the TAF section do you think?

#69 9 years ago

That's great to hear that you have things working!

For the lamps, I would start out with lamp test mode and see what you get. Also don't forget to check for bad bulbs. It could be that simple.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-failure-involves-all-lights-solenoids-nut-not-dmd-or-audio/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.