Getaway Diverter/Opto problem.

By whisper

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi Guys,was hoping someone out there can help.
My supercharger on my Getaway is working when the ball enters the ramp at a slow enough pace,
but when the ball enters through a normal pace the diverter opens to late and the ball is already going down the wireform,
missing the entry to the accelerator loop, was thinking its a bad opto board but I might be wrong, was hoping someone out there is familiar with the problem at hand and can guide me in rite direction on which parts I need to find and get it working properly again, I do have a manual but im not sure where to look an what part numbers I need? any help will be great.. Thanks in advance..

#2 8 years ago

There is an opto on the ramp entrance but sounds like it is working or else the diverter would not activate. You can move the diverter in the test menu to get a better idea of what it is doing but sounds like you need to take the supercharger off to inspect it on the bottom side. There are just a few connectors under the playfield and a handful of screws holding it down. Maybe all it needs is a good cleaning.

#3 8 years ago

Thanx jaw jaw yeah the diverter works fine in the test no probs there, yeah I will take the super charger off an have a look, hopefully that's all it is, cheers

#4 8 years ago

I am familiar with the problem.

This needs to be mentioned.

There are 5X opto pairs in the Supercharger.
One at the entrance, 3X with the magnets, and one on the front in the return portion of the Supercharger.
All these require to properly functioning to give the necessary timing, both in entry, operation, and exit.
The most critical for ENTRY is the opto set behind the Redline Mania sign.

The Supercharger is subjected to EXTREME vibration.
Opto leads can break off due to cold solder joints.
Flaky opto emitters are common as well.
It normally will not show up in test only when the game is played, or a full Supercharger test.
Other causes of the diverter not operating properly are binding in the diverter mechanism because of use.
Sometimes a good cleaning of the mechanism and replacement of the coil sleeve is warranted as well.

Even with all this, if you recently rebuilt the flippers and have a highly waxed playfield it is STILL possible to have the diverter not activate soon enough. This is just due to ball speed and nothing can be done.
For example, hit the freeway orbit from left to right a 3-4 times, and then shoot the supercharger.
If you do it right the ball will be well over 80 MPH.
If you wax the supercharger ramp itself, the situation is even more insane with the ball way over 120 MPH.

#5 8 years ago

Thanx Blackknight I really appreciate the input, will check back in when I have had time to look at it again...thanx again..

1 week later
#6 8 years ago

So I put a new sleeve in the cool an nothing happend tried
Adjusting the diverter an it made it worse so put it back to where it was, so what u think is next, new cool under the super charger? How can I tell the problem in the first opto board as mentioned above ? Cheers

#7 8 years ago

Sorry meant sleeve in the coil underneath the super charger.

#8 8 years ago

You can check if the optos are working in the switch menu. Just break the beam with your hand or something and you should see it register. Doesn't sound like that is the issue, though. I'm not sure I understand what is going on with the coil. It should be very responsive and snap the diverter open and close.

#9 8 years ago

When I shopped out my Getaway, I went ahead and replaced all opto sets. I figured the old optos were 20+ years old.

#10 8 years ago

Yeah that's the thing, u can hear the Optos working when u roll the ball up an down at a slow pace, the problem is when playing the game the ball goes through quick an the gate opens to late to let it in the supercharger , so the ball has already passed it.

#11 8 years ago

The owners manual doesn't even have a detailed part view and breakdown of the diverter. My diverter sometimes acts strange in that when I shoot the ball in the supercharger for lets say 10 loops, it either closes too early or too slow and causes the ball to come back down the supercharger ramp instead of to the left return lane. I think it just needs a good cleaning but with no parts view what do I replace if anything? Is there a coil there, new sleeve needed, other needed parts? Otherwise I suppose just take apart and see what I need then. Is it difficult to get to or remove the diverter from the supercharger? Hoping someone can chime in that has rebuilt or fixed their diverter and what to expect. Thanks.

#12 8 years ago

^^^Anyone? I'd like to order any parts before the Hollidays and rebuild my diverter. Thanks!

#13 8 years ago

There are some excellent threads on Pinside about removal and repair of the HS2 diverter that you should check out. The diverter uses a special coil that is available from PBR. Coil is typically not a problem, unless it has overheated. Usually a good cleaning of the diverter shaft if it has dried grease on it will help. Make sure the diverter moves freely by hand, opening and closing the diverter paddle without the game powered on. The diverter will sometimes close too quickly or too slow and cause the ball to go out the side exit onto the PF or back down the ramp. That happens occasionally on my game but not everygame. Make sure the paddle is closing flush against the ball guide when it is diverting the ball around the supercharger and staying tight to the guide. Also make sure the alignment of the supercharger ramp is good and not off centered to ensure a smooth entrance of the ball to the magnet race.

#15 8 years ago

Replace the optos, they are the most common problem, as long as there are no switch matrix issues, and the diverter is operating normally, not binding, and not broken due to welds or overuse. Remember, HSII has a SPECIAL set of schematics that are NOT in the manual. It is a separate document book. Purchase it for future reference.

3 years later
#16 4 years ago

ever figure out this issue? im getting a divertor error. upper works fine, nice and snappy, but lower does nothing

#17 4 years ago

ever figure out this issue? im getting a divertor error. upper opens nice and strong seems to stay closed on lower, no movement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Trade
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-diverteropto-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.