• L3 10 votes
    3%
  • L5 104 votes
    35%
  • P7 9 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    2%

(Multiple choice - 298 votes by 297 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,380 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
image1 (1) (resized).jpeg
1F56CA9B-A56E-4C5B-9DD0-6E5E186DAABF (resized).jpeg
6A9EB738-0D68-4F14-9BD3-9C77FD877022 (resized).jpeg
978218D9-816A-41E7-BA30-D90A067BD3B0 (resized).jpeg
hinge (resized).jpg
IMG_3693 (resized).jpg
IMG_3694 (resized).jpg
IMG_3695 (resized).jpg
IMG_6318 (resized).jpg
IMG_3689 (resized).jpg
IMG_3687 (resized).jpg
16096465379487373282466167829585 (resized).jpg
16096465204014101429459805757836 (resized).jpg
left return frame (resized).png
2D6BECD9-0BF8-425D-B839-4E6E459E9A84_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sticky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1319 5 years ago

Hey everyone, just got a Getaway! Super stoked as it's my favorite machine. My friends are already coming over to play it and everyone loves it.

Now, there are a couple issues. The multiball or ball lock area where with the metal piece that covers on the right sometimes jams. It will release one ball but not the second. I then have to manually open the glass and push the stuck ball through. Any idea how to fix this?

Also, how do I remove the factory high scores? Basically, I want the machine to only show the high scores that my friends and I hit. I got 53 million or so but it still is not good enough to get in the top 4 scores the machine shows.

Any help is appreciated. I'm a major n00b to this so be gentle.

Also, any suggested mods? I plan on doing the colordmd ASAP.

12009658_877097539052269_818019899655948-1.jpg

#1329 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

The upper loop would be too easy without that post.
Sticky - congrats on getting your Getaway. It was my first pin, too. To reset high scores, open the coin door and hold down the enter button for 5-10 seconds. I think it should be labeled as such, too. I forget - only did it once. You can always pull the batteries out with the power off and that will do a full factory reset.
Leds are the best mod you can do if not already done. I followed MustangPaul's example and lit up the gauge plastics over the slings with a comet light strip and one in the back behind the supercharger. I'm not a big fan of tacking on toys and junk to the playfield but some do.

Thank you for your reply.

The factory reset though from what I understand still keeps the factory supplied high scores. I did the factory reset through the menu but they are still there. Oh well, looks like I just have to play better.

Would you happen to know how to raise the supercharger boost? Hitting the lower three targets lights the kicksback but doesn't increase the supercharger boost. Is this a rom version issue?

#1330 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

As far as i'm aware the machine will still revert to factory set high scores when you do this and unless i read the post incorrectly that's what he wanted to change.

You read it correctly, this is what I meant. Thanks.

#1331 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

It's possible there could be a switch error but if it works for the first ball release it should be fine for the rest, i'd check to see if the post is snagging on anything, is it bent at all? Although it doesn't drop down a massive amount it could be getting caught up somewhere. For the second question, as far as i know you can't reset or change the factory high score settings until you get better scores yourself and henceforth knock the factory ones out of the listing.

The post is fine. Let me try to explain it better.

When it goes into that area there are these sort of two metal hooks hanging down into the ramp before the post I guess as sensors? The second ball seems to get snagged on one of those hooks. The post goes down but the second ball stays. It's frustrating as it doesn't happen all the time but frequently.

I'll go through the diagnostics and see if I can figure out if something mechanically is off.

#1336 5 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

With permission to post from MJW, below is his feedback on my new Getaway Supercharger Ramp Lights mod. Thank you MJW for the nice feedback!
getawayfeedback1.jpg
More info can be seen at http://www.leesparts.com/products/getaway-supercharger-lights.html

Just ordered this! I was wondering why the supercharger and redline didn't light up. Definitely will enhance gameplay.

#1337 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

You can change the default high scores. I did that so my boys could put up their initials - at least for a short while until I played. If I remember right, you change the default scores in the hstd settings. After doing that, resetting the high scores should put them to your settings. If you don't know already, you can view the manual here:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1000
Indy - those mirrored strips look awesome. Where did you get them?
Den - I get what you are doing now. If you do a whole set of mountain toppers that looks pretty good. I would make that Getaway logo one look like it's carved out of a mountain. Do some more for the right side. Maybe splash some gray paint on them to get a better feel of how they look.

Ahhh this is what I was missing. I changed the default scores to 00 in the menu but it didn't do anything. I guess I have to do a reset AFTER that. I'll go give it a shot.

Thank you.

#1339 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

OK, those metal hooks are part of the switches, the first (closest to the front of the machine) and the third (back one) hang down into the wire form and the middle one sticks out from the side. These tell the machine that the balls are actually in the locks, so when all 3 switches are activated it confirms to go into multi ball mode. My machine will sometimes just release all 3 balls in one go, or, on occasion it will release one, the post will pop back up, and then release the next, etc. If your machine is releasing one ball and then doing nothing afterwards that would make me think that the one of the switches (possibly middle switch) isn't activating. Having said that though my understanding is that the machine would react by thinking there isn't enough balls to even start the multi ball process.

You're onto something here.

My machine releases one ball at a time. So, one ball gets released, another is in play, and I have two balls with the third stuck on that second or middle hook/switch.

The machine doesn't register that the ball was not released so after I drain the two it thinks the third is still in play and it just sort of sits there going through the solenoids trying to release a stuck ball somewhere on the playfield. Sometimes when the game ends before multiball and the ball is to be released and it does not the machine says not enough pinballs until I manually push it out and it drains.

So I just have to figure out the issue with the second switch. I'm not sure what I need to replace or do though.

#1340 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

as for the high score reset - did you try to hold down enter for 5-10 seconds? Interested to see if that works as I want to achieve the same thing (just keep my high scores).

Just wanted to say this worked! What I had to do was manually change the high scores in the menu to lower them down and do the reset afterwards by holding down the button for 5-10 seconds.

Finally I get my initials on the machine

1 week later
#1376 5 years ago

I installed the checkered flag flipper mod and I'm very happy with how it looks:

Y3KG7Ox.png

I considered doing it on all three but I think it makes more sense at the 'finish line' where the ball drains so to speak. We'll see I may do it on all three.

While I had the glass off I figured I'd do the supercharger ramp lights from Lee's Parts. I noticed somebody broke the second ramp panel and sort of taped it up with electrical tape. While I'm at it I figure I might as well replace this part. Looks like it says 1674-10. Anyone have a good source for this?

I'm also noticing other little imperfections that are bugging me. The supercharger is missing one of three screws on the top. I'd like to keep it authentic before heading to Home Depot so does anyone have a source for the original style screws on the supercharger?

#1377 5 years ago

I'm looking at that Marco Specialties site linked earlier on this page and they have a lot of good parts for the Getaway so I'm ordering a bunch now.

Does anyone know if these are the bulbs that go into the supercharger/redline mania? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-0044

Also, if these are the supercharger screws: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4006-01003-04

#1379 5 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

I'm looking at that Marco Specialties site linked earlier on this page and they have a lot of good parts for the Getaway so I'm ordering a bunch now.
Does anyone know if these are the bulbs that go into the supercharger/redline mania? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-0044
Also, if these are the supercharger screws: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4006-01003-04

Any help here would be appreciated. I'd like to order the parts today I just don't know if they are the right ones.

#1382 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

The screws look about right, but I wouldn't stress over it. Go down to Ace and get a variety of #6 and #8 machine screws. Or buy a "little box of calm" from TitanPinball.com. Those are good things to have around.
I believe the bulbs in the Supercharger/Redline Mania plastic above the ramp are 555's. Go LED, you won't regret it. Cointaker makes kits for beginners, or buy your own variety at Pinballbulbs, Titan, etc. I prefer frosted non ghosting for most applications but everybody has an opinion and it's personal preference.

Good advice, thanks.

#1385 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

There are generally two types of bulbs (non flashers) - 555 and 44/47. They are basically the same bulb with different bases - one is wedged shaped and the other round.
I also recommend leds. Getaway is easy to change bulbs and it makes a huge difference. Just make sure to turn power off before changing bulbs.

I went with a red and yellow 555. That way I can avoid the plastic covers and have a cleaner look.

I wanted to do an LED and this might sound stupid but only the bases seem to be colored and I needed red and yellow LED lights to go with the supercharger and redline mania that I couldn't seem to find. Maybe Marcospecialties needs to clarify this better?

Also picked up a new housing for the stoplight and supercharger covers I think I will do something with. Maybe powdercoat, not sure yet. Mine have knicks on them (supercharger had a chipped piece) and it was driving me nuts. Their supercharger sign bracket is also metal and I got that to replace the plastic. Cool Marcospecialties had all that stuff in one spot for the Getaway.

#1416 5 years ago

I've seen some of the L2's playing and it seems it's way too easy to up the supercharger boost. You shouldn't get the kickback benefit and on top of that a boost of the supercharger.

I'm going to stick with L1 I think.

#1418 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Here's my BoP with purple cab protectors but I tried something new, I ran the led strips pointed at the chrome leg to get a reflected light all the way down the back of the inside of the legs. It even lights up the bl carpet. I'm gonna do that with Getaway when the strips come in.

That looks awesome!

#1436 5 years ago

So I installed some new parts and was excited to play the machine again. I was having a blast when I got multiball and I hit a couple balls into the supercharger.

One pinball hit another pinball and one of them went flying. Embarrassingly, I can't seem to find it. The machine keeps cycling through the solenoids trying to dislodge it and I've looked everywhere but can't find the missing ball. Where the hell could it be?

Anyone have this happen?

#1441 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Check in the bottom of the cabinet. Do you have the bracket above/behind the supercharger exit? It keeps balls from bouncing out.

Grabbed a flashlight and sure enough it was hiding under some cables in the cabinet.

I'll need to get that bracket.

2 weeks later
#1527 5 years ago

I'm sure many of you have seen this but it's new to me. I thought it was a cool video on the machine including commentary from Steve Ritchie. Don't think it was posted in the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&feature=related&v=LIJi0G_2VYA

#1550 5 years ago

This is driving me nuts. As I've gotten better at playing the pin I can get three balls into donut heaven to start multi-ball consistently each game. The problem is the third ball never gets released staying on the second hook/sensor. So the machine keeps going and I have to remove the glass and manually push it out as it just stays there for some reason. This picture should help illustrate what I mean:

multiball.jpg

It only happens in the multi-ball and any other time there are balls locked the game releases them after the final ball drains without issue. What could be causing this only during multi-ball?

It's no longer fun to play when every time I get the donut heaven multi-ball I have to remove the glass to push the ball out otherwise the machine just sits there going through the solenoids trying to dislodge a ball.

How do I fix this?

#1580 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Sticky, I have had the same problem lately. When I was using L5 rom, it always dumped all 3 balls at once. When I switched to L2, the game sometimes sent one or two at a time. Lately, one is often left stuck in the lock. However, I don't have to take the glass off. Eventually the third ball is let loose. I would start with checking your ball lock switches.

I'm on L1 which I believe is supposed to do 1 at a time.

If I hit another ball in there say for the jackpot then the ball comes out but if I don't I have to take the glass off to manually push out the last ball.

#1581 5 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Yours sounds like a slightly different issue - yours is the switch itself not registering closed, so you have to wait for the ball search to lower the stopper to release it. On the other guy's - it's an actual physical issue with the switch having enough force to not let the ball go past it on it's own. So your switch needs adjusted so that it always registers a close with the ball on it, and the other guy's needs to adjust the switch slightly higher so the ball has enough force to make it's way past the switch.

I think you are right here. I'll try adjusting it higher.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but how do I do that?

#1584 5 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

It's the switch it is laying against - the switch has just enough force to not let the ball go past it without the weight of the other balls pushing. I had this issue on both that switch, and the 3rd switch in donut heaven at well. It took a bunch of trial and error making minor bends in the switches, but eventually it settled in without problems anymore. But yeah, they are a pain to get right. Take off the metal piece on top and leave it off for a little while while you make the adjustments and play some games so you have easy access to the switches.

Just wanted to say this worked for me. After removing the metal it was easy to see how to adjust the switches. They give you a decent amount of play up or down to set them up and this is the key.

The first time I tried I adjusted the second switch too high and when I hit a ball in the game would register it but then start the looking for a missing ball until the post released it and the ball came out.

I adjusted the second switch slightly down after this and the first switch up to the max. That did the trick.

All three balls get released and I can enjoy the game again.

Great advice here, thanks.

2 months later
#1732 5 years ago

How often do you guys replace the batteries? Also, do I lose my high scores when I replace them?

#1735 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I use NVRAM in all my machines and never have to worry about battery changes EVER again

Ok I'm intrigued. What is NVRAM?

2 weeks later
#1769 4 years ago
Quoted from slpenza:

I'm very happy with them! PS If anyone knows where I can get a mountain mod please let me know
IMG_4294_(resized).JPG
IMG_4291_(resized).JPG

That looks great! Sorry if I missed it but where do I purchase these?

Edit: NVM, I guess Etsy is the source.

#1770 4 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I downloaded the HS II pinball game to my phone. Man it's a blast! I really want the real thing

image_(resized).png

This is the reason I bought mine

I want a Dredd now.

1 week later
#1783 4 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Check out my custom apron magnet mod for Getaway.

FullSizeRender_(resized).jpgIMG_5216_(resized).PNG

This looks great!!!

4 months later
#2676 4 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm still having problems with the donut heaven area releasing balls for multiball and I've adjusted the hooks several times. I think it's the solenoid. I went through the solenoid test and number 4 works for a bit then sort of stops if I keep the test on repeat. That would be the one, right?

Is there any wiring I need to check or does it just need to be replaced? Advice is appreciated.

2 weeks later
#2733 4 years ago

Would someone be able to explain what 'Special' does? When it is lit in the outlanes and you go over it the machine does the knockback and lights up SPECIAL on the DMD but what does it actually do?

Is the only way to make use of it with the kickback active on the left outlane? I did this once and it seemed I was scoring more points but it was all over so fast I wasn't too sure.

#2735 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Special can be set in your options to be free ball, free game... you light the kickback by hitting all 3 lower white targets.

Thanks it's set to points.

Do you happen to know how many points you get?

#2749 4 years ago

Hoping I could get some gamplay answers.

I got the donut heaven multiball and usually I try for the 25mil jackpot. Somehow I got that jackpot and a 50mil super jackpot. How exactly does the super jackpot work?

I collected the helicopter bonus but I have no idea how. What needs to be done to collect this?

I finally activated redline mania but what do I shoot for? Same style jackpot as during the getaway?

Thank you.

#2757 4 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

During multiball you qualify the jackpot by sending a ball into the supercharger. Then you collect by sending a ball into the lock (rear ramp) either by upper flipper or lower right flipper. The first jackpot requires 10 loops around the supercharger, the super jackpot requires 20 loops.
During multiball if you shoot the saucer you collect helicopter bonus.
Redline mania uses the same jackpot sequence.
Hope this helps.

Ah, it was 20 loops that did it when I collected into the lock. Thanks! Wow, to think I didn't know this all this time. Going to change my game completely (and my scores).

2 weeks later
#2912 4 years ago

Was about to order ColorDMD for my Getaway but it says you have to have L2 or L5 roms? I run L1 and don't intend to change from L1 so I guess I can't use a ColorDMD?

#2922 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I don't know about the L1 Rom not working with the ColorDMD but I had the L1 and switched out to L2 and love it... no issue with my ColorDMD or game play. Why don't you want to switch the Rom?

I prefer how L1 increases supercharger boost (it's more difficult). No free ride / multiball bugs either.

#2931 4 years ago

What other games do you guys have that you like as much as Getaway?

Honestly, I just love this pin. It's pinball perfection IMO. Hard to find anything else that brings me as much joy or is as fun. I just love the theme and the shots.

#2936 4 years ago
Quoted from tomh52722:

Just joined the club! I have always wanted a getaway but haven't played much before. Any tips to guarantee I beat my wife and children at this game?

Go for rpm, shift gears AFTER you get the burn rubber if it's lit, and make sure you at least get the single jackpot during multiball. They won't be anywhere near you if you do that.

1 week later
#2970 4 years ago

Any tips for getting the super jackpot? During Getaway to get the jackpot you only need 1 ball in play. I get it basically every time.

It's that super jackpot that is killing me as you need to have 2 balls in play to get it.

2 weeks later
#3015 4 years ago

Been enjoying my Getaway but with game after game after game a couple minor problems popped up.

The flipper button on the left is harder to press in than the one of the right. How do I make it go in more smoothly/easily?

The ramp for the lock is going up and down randomly at times. It works fine but sometimes it just has a mind of its own. Why?

The plunger isn't as strong as it once was. The same with the kickback. How do I resolve this?

#3026 4 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Somebody may have replaced that flipper button with one that has a spring in it, pull the E-clip and remove the internal button and see if there's a spring in there, if there is, remove it.
Check the switch on the ramp, make sure the mounting screws are not loose and that the actuator is bent correctly so that it absolutely closes the switch when the ramp is down... This switch adjustment is a common issue.
As far as the weak coils, there's a number of things that can cause this, but I would start with the easy stuff and replace the sleeves and springs and make sure you have good solid solder joints on the coil lugs. If the wire braid is breaking apart, cut the wire back and resolder it. And if any of the coils have a diode, replace it.

Thanks.

I checked the button and there weren't any springs. Just seemed to be dirty. Gave it a little spray of WD40 and it's perfect now.

However, even when the button is pushed down all the way sometimes the flipper gets interrupted as if a circuit isn't staying complete. So say I'm keeping a ball on the left flipper suddenly the flipper will go down as if I released the button even though I didn't.

Any idea why this is?

#3028 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

How do the leaf switches look? I replaced mine because part of the wood spacers fell apart and they weren't working correctly. Probably a good 2nd step...

The leaf switches look good to me but I'm a noob and have no idea what to look for. Should I try bending it toward the button maybe?

1 week later
#3063 4 years ago

So this happened today. Can anyone recommend a good source for replacement rubbers?

20160910_193357 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 17.99
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sticky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside