• L3 9 votes
    3%
  • L5 97 votes
    35%
  • P7 8 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 279 votes by 278 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,221 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CC6AE388-B7B5-473D-BF37-B1E2CA98EF8C (resized).jpeg
2C5DFA54-A34A-485C-8B42-D9AB99A66292 (resized).jpeg
380949B0-220C-4381-8E85-8634BF3C59AE (resized).jpeg
7A0BC7C9-9305-48DA-9392-446FA50FE2B0 (resized).jpeg
37B66112-0AA6-4BE4-B0C2-F3470DC8C0CE (resized).jpeg
66FEB279-D072-4EBB-99EC-E9DC2580EC08 (resized).jpeg
FD553AF1-DADF-4E6A-81DC-4D1EFD3E2FD6 (resized).png
SC.gif
IMG_3588 (resized).JPG
IMG_3694 (resized).JPG
IMG_3693 (resized).JPG
F16856C5-C39B-49CC-9E75-2E8264AE4405 (resized).jpeg
C722F885-C144-4B84-8B3C-8028A79C5DA7 (resized).jpeg
30A4E3F1-2BB4-42CB-A96D-6ED4ECA54E62 (resized).jpeg
D04D12CB-B206-489E-86EB-2EFC0365499C (resized).jpeg
0E3D8057-CCD3-43BD-B2AC-F4D03B6B0420 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spblat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10034 3 months ago

I mean who does this?

ohgodwhy.jpg

Other fun tidbits about this new-to-me machine besides the plunger hole somebody seems to have gouged out with a rusty spoon:

1) A switch fuse and a coil fuse had been replaced with automotive blade fuses, with an adapter soldered onto the fuse terminal

2) 943 minutes play time, 45,000 minutes on. That’s why my DMD board is cooked

3) The service buttons were flopping around loose, unscrewed from the coin door. The back button had stopped working and the workaround was to jam a pair of garden shears in to short the connection instead of making a repair

4) Dirty but perfect playfield. Diamond plate for the win!

#10038 3 months ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

I'm thinking about getting the ColorDMD but I don't know which one to get the LED or the LCD. What are the Pro's and Con's?

LED will be brighter, so much so that you might get reflections in the playfield glass. Filters are available to mitigate this. LED is a simpler install because the size is a perfect match, and some people think LED is better because when it’s black it’s totally black. The LCD uses a bit more power, and gives more options about how the images are processed. Big dots, small dots, square pixels, smoothing effects. I have LCD in my TZ. I love it but I’ll be using LED in my Getaway.

#10047 3 months ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I think the 2x SAI (Scale and Interpolation) looks awful and my hate for it runs deep. I thought it looked like shit back when MAME did it like 15+ years ago

Couldn’t agree more. To each their own but I’ve always felt this approach (in pinball or in retro gaming) adds no information, makes no improvement, and detracts from the nostalgia of the source material.

#10050 3 months ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Guys, I need some help.
My GHSII was my favorite game. But lately I am having an issue when I hit the top pop bumper the supercharger sound is played. It stays this way for a while. This is making game play a drag.
Not sure what caused this. At around the same time I installed a Pinsound and custom soundtrack I also blew a IC on the board by shorting the coil. I replaced the IC. Might have caused the issue then.
Any thoughts on what it could be?

My supercharger was also making noises when there were no balls in there. The cause was a loose opto emitter. I removed the supercharger cover and went into the switch test screen. Wiggling one of the opto emitters caused the switch to fire because the beam wasn’t quite making it through the hole across the channel. In fact several of the screws had started to back out. Tightened them back down again and all is well. Hope this simpler cause solves it for you. Maybe the shaker was the last straw getting those screws to start backing out?

#10056 3 months ago

Bottom right is supposed to fire first. I believe this applies to L-2 and up. It’s so you can trap a ball down below and make the upper jackpot shot.

3 weeks later
#10099 85 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, I’ve absolutely drank the PinSound Koolaid. I’ve decked out both my Getaway and Jurassic Park with PinsSound boards, shakers, speakers, and headphone stations. Then come all of my custom orchestrations for Getaway and customization of JP, along with doing these shakerizations for PinSound. I can’t say enough positive things about the brothers and their products.
I’ve also done several orchestrations and shakerizations for games I don’t own, but others have commissioned me to create them.
I have a Guide to PinSound thread that needs updating given all the new hardware and software, but who knows when I might get around to that: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound
I also have a YouTube channel that features most of my Getaway orchestrations for those who are interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZMqNYihUmFxrzM2MmxBHzg
Orchestrations are here:
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/22-getaway
Finally, I’m always happy to help with PinSound related questions. Just PM me or post here in the thread if about Getaway and you think others would benefit from the conversation.

Thanks for all you do for Getaway owners! I confess that I don't like the callouts in the alternative Pinsound mixes. So I recorded my own!

https://clyp.it/1bish2ew

Permission is granted to download, remix and reuse this audio for noncommercial use. I haven't heard these through anything but my own headphones (my only pinsound is in a TZ) so if they need adjusting or you want the original audio to mess with, just give a yell.

#10102 85 days ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

How do you do that? Is there a thread you can point me to?

When you load sound sets into your pinsound via USB drive, you can put several of them in. When you reduce your game’s volume to zero, go one more click down. You’ll hear a sound effect and when you bring the volume back up again it will be the next sound set.

#10142 83 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Was copying files to test, but it looks like you missed a few of the narrator callouts. Here is the complete list:
1| Shift Now
2| Super Charger Ready
3| Shift
4| Shift Gears
5| Don't Move
6| Extra Ball
7| Shift Gears Now
8| Redline Mania
Here is what was in your file
1| Shift Now
2| Supercharger Ready
3|
4| Shift Gears
5| Don't Move (2 versions)
6|
7|
8| Redline Mania

Quoted from Sprudeldudel:

This will be incredible in the techno mix!!!! Thanks for those call outs

Funny you mentioned that. I was looking for some tricks for making a cool deep voice as we hear in the original callouts and the page I found was all about making callouts in techno tracks. I wouldn't have thought of using a ring modulator.

Also I re-recorded everything. And I doubled everything up. So these are in stereo and I hope you guys like it. I might need a pinsound for my getaway now!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/76mohhdt9x7v608/AADdfIaZppQgQ10SAfv4yYVya?dl=0

distortion settings 01 (resized).png
#10147 83 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The pitched version sound great, but the stereo processed version sound terribly distorted to me. I'm going to cut up the callouts and give them a try. I played a game with the originals, and everything worked well. Based on the amplitude graph, I had to amplify some to be equalized to my orchestrations, but that was a simple fix.
FYI, many may not have the software or knowledge on how to break up the files and adjust loudness. If I send you a link to the individually adjusted and cut files could you post on your download site for everyone?

Of course. I'm definitely looking for the sweet spot when it comes to distortion and processing. Keep in mind that the unprocessed stereo one is at -3 semitones, but the distorted one is only only down 2 semitones. Let's iterate until it's perfect!

#10149 82 days ago
Quoted from spblat:

Funny you mentioned that. I was looking for some tricks for making a cool deep voice as we hear in the original callouts and the page I found was all about making callouts in techno tracks. I wouldn't have thought of using a ring modulator.
Also I re-recorded everything. And I doubled everything up. So these are in stereo and I hope you guys like it. I might need a pinsound for my getaway now!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/76mohhdt9x7v608/AADdfIaZppQgQ10SAfv4yYVya?dl=0[quoted image]

Okay. mr_tantrum assembled individual files from my stereo callouts, and I've assembled two more sets. One is based on the one I shared earlier with rather a lot of processing and distortion "distortion 5", and another one has a bit less processing, "distortion 2." The link above (or click here) has everything. I can make fresh sets with adjusted amplitudes if the loudness of these files isn't a fit with the rest of the orchestration. I don't (yet) have pinsound in my Getaway.

#10151 82 days ago
Quoted from Sprudeldudel:

Thanks.
However, counter intuitively, stereo is a BAD choice for voice. Here is why:
mr_tantrum can these assetts be easily saved as mono in pinsound explorer. if not, plese let me know and I will try to convert them to mono with audacity.

The video above recommends against recording vocals with a stereo mic. These callouts were not recorded with a stereo microphone. The stereo recordings were made by recording each callout multiple times and stacking similar pairs, with one panned hard left and one panned hard right, and with time stretching corrections where needed. This is the most reliable way to achieve a “wide stereo” effect that I think is appropriate for these callouts. If you mono them you’ll lose the effect I was going for and you’ll have a chorus of two me’s saying “don’t move” in mono. Feel free to go into the “source” folder for all of the original mono takes, and do what you like with them.

#10153 82 days ago

Thank you! I can’t wait to hear how it sounds in an actual pin and make further necessary tweaks. I’m inclined to suggest distortion levels 2 and 5 randomized for “shift now”, “redline mania,” and “supercharger ready,” and distortion levels 0 and 2 randomized for everything else.

#10159 82 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

How long does the game take to load a new orchestration? I’m not sure why others are experiencing wait times of 30 minutes when mine load within a minute of turning the game on with a brand new orchestration. This is the same for my Dr Who and Tommy, which also have Pinsound cards.

I think it's a question of whether the package you've loaded on the USB drive has formats other than wav. When I put pinsound in my TZ I recall that installing either the default or the Granner package took quite awhile, and there are indeed a bunch of ogg files in there. Mr_T has talked about the value of using fre:ac to replace oggs and mp3s with wav in the source folders to skip this delay.

1 week later
#10195 75 days ago

Has anybody experimented with taking the original sound effects and "stereo-izing" them? What you do is take two copies of the sound, pan one left and one right, then delay one by 10-30 milliseconds.

Here's an example of three familiar Getaway effects. Each is first heard in mono and then in stereo.In the third one, the jackpot sound starts in mono and then expands to stereo.

Has anyone ever done this? Should I make more?

#10198 74 days ago

I happen to use REAPER for all things audio, but I bet it can also be done with audacity.

#10200 74 days ago

Tantrum delivers again! I dug around and found that there's a JavaScript plugin included with REAPER called MDA Pseudo Stereo. It offers the Haas effect (discussed above) and a comb effect (which I don't know anything about but I think achieves a wider effect). This plugin will make it easier to blend and pan some of the more complex effects.

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 5.06.13 PM (resized).png

In other news, I'm definitely skipping this month's Marco order to get Pinsound for my Getaway.

EDIT: Also I've begun working on a set of loops from The Crystal Method's "Trip Like I Do." The original, not the remix featuring Filter.

Listen to this with headphones turned up and tell me it doesn't blow your mind.

#10202 73 days ago

I imported all of the Getaway SFX and picked an initial 36 to "stereoize." These have varying degrees of width, and some of them pan left and right in interesting ways. I won't have my pinsound until February but I wanted to get a head start. I'll be making more and feedback is welcome.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mj56y2bi7i90rx0/AAACbzcSgYNc-pgEnLoDv99qa?dl=0

#10204 73 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

What program can you open these in? Don't recognize the file type. Thanks.

FLAC. It didn’t occur to me to verify whether pinsound supports it. Let me make an MP3 version. Within 5 minutes of you reading this, the link above will offer MP3s as an alternative.

#10206 73 days ago

Strike two for me. I could have sworn I have downloaded pinsound packages containing .ogg files that work fine in my TZ. WAV files uploaded!

#10218 72 days ago
Quoted from spblat:

I imported all of the Getaway SFX and picked an initial 36 to "stereoize." These have varying degrees of width, and some of them pan left and right in interesting ways. I won't have my pinsound until February but I wanted to get a head start. I'll be making more and feedback is welcome.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mj56y2bi7i90rx0/AAACbzcSgYNc-pgEnLoDv99qa?dl=0

Updated contents of the link above to make it massively easier to import my stereo sounds into your existing pinsound mixes. Instead of files you have to identify for yourself, I've placed them into folders that have the proper "action ID" syntax. I have also included original factory sounds for everything that I haven't changed. You can tell original unmodified sounds by the "_orig" appended to the directory names.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 2.22.44 PM (resized).png

Plus I wrote a script that is helpful to me in building these directories from original and legacy sources. Because I'm old I wrote it in perl instead of python. I added it to the share in case anyone else might find the script useful.

I'll continue to update the zip file in the share. Most of the SFX and jingles that matter have been "stereo-ized" but I'll probably do several more in the coming weeks. I'm eager to know if anybody tries these before I get my pinsound later this month.

#10231 69 days ago

I hadn’t planned to put a shaker in my pinsound order. Can you put into words how the Getaway gameplay experience is enhanced? My TNG has a pinbits shaker tied to the enterprise shields flashers and I admit it’s pretty cool.

#10258 68 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

spblat, you may have read this but you'll also want to create a custom startup sound to replace the default chimes.

Totally! I did this in my TZ awhile back so it would boot with the TV theme tune.

My pinsound order goes in this week. I'll be focused on building an orchestration blending my callouts and stereo FX with different sections from Trip Like I Do from The Crystal method. \m/

#10261 68 days ago

Two things:

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yellow are tracks that you may never hear. If anyone does ever hear, please report back regarding what event triggers them and what ROM version you have installed.[quoted image]

1) If you download a fresh copy of the factory sound set from Pinsound you will find that the events you've marked yellow are not among the files.

2) I have started a new spreadsheet in google sheets for planning purposes.<-- click

a) Everyone is free to copy this sheet for your own use.
b) Everyone is free (and encouraged) to edit column D in my copy, which is a note about each sound. Many of the descriptions are self explanatory, but there are some that need a more human description. For example, when specifically do we hear "main_theme_4" as opposed to "main_theme_3"? If you know, click above and enter it in! I'll be adding the notes @estroh made earlier. Let's crowdsource some intelligence about these actions!
c) As I make progress in my first orchestration I'll be filling in column E. Then I'll probably amend the scriptI made earlier to take data from this sheet and assemble the folders, taking factory files for any action that has a blank cell.

1 week later
#10274 58 days ago

L2 is preferred because it fixes bugs in L1 and keeps the “RUN THE RED LIGHT” animation. L5 fixes other bugs but doesn’t have that animation.

More: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/four-new-pinball-software-mods-dm-sttng-hs2-jy#post-4844959

#10278 58 days ago

You’re right about the EBs, I’ve seen them in L1 video mode too but actually never in L2 (yet). The “too many balls released” is a mechanical issue that I solved by adding an extra spring, by cleaning the gummed up lube someone had added, and by installing a fresh new coil sleeve.

#10284 55 days ago

Yep. Shoot the loops. Advance the gears. Get multiball along the way. Get to redline mania. Get super jackpots!

My personal best is 486M. Got about 220M today. I must say my average game is still close to yours though.

Also you’ll want to make sure your flipper assemblies are nice and fresh, and the flippers correctly aimed.

#10299 53 days ago

I can hardly contain my excitement about Pinsound for Getaway.

The sheetI shared earlier now reflects a nearly full understanding of the musical cues and when they fire. My "The Crystal Method" orchestration, including the stereo SFX and my new callouts, is nearly complete. A few more tweaks and then I'll make a youtube video and share the orchestration here before I submit it to pinsound. Also I've hired a voice actor to re-do the hitchhiker callouts.

I don't know if you need to know and love the song "Trip Like I Do" to fully appreciate this orchestration but it has an amazing progression from low energy to very high energy, and I've set up the orchestration so that the further you progress in the game, the more of the song's intensity you get to experience. I'm...*really* excited about it.

More to come

#10303 51 days ago

Pinsound or PS+?

Edit: never mind I see I'm third in line

#10313 49 days ago

Further reading

If you connect your amplifier to the wrong speaker impedance, you risk damaging the amp. In tube amps, too high a load impedance (or a disconnected load) can result in damage to the output tubes or output transformer, while in solid state amps, if the speaker impedance is too low, the amplifier will tend to overheat and more power is used up in the amplifier than is delivered to the speaker. Too many speakers on a solid state amp can burn up the power output section.

#10315 48 days ago

If you have Pinsound I made something for you to wake the neighbors with.

The main theme is "Trip Like I Do" by The Crystal Method. Loops from this track were assembled to provide increasing intensity as the game progresses. Other songs used include "Name of the Game," "Over the Line," "PHD" and "High Roller." I've *really* been enjoying making and playing this for the past few weeks.

All the "deep voice" callouts have been re-recorded by...well, by me. Discussion:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/203#post-5395830

The driver's "hop in" and "damn, they're shooting at us" are also voiced by me.

The hitchhiker is voiced by actor Jade Asha.

Many of the sound effects have been "stereoized" using a process discussed here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/205#post-5413080

I have one more very small tweak to make before I submit it to the Pinsound community (I've hired someone to re-do the "woohoo" sound that's played when you enter your initials). Meanwhile, below is a temporary download link. Place this ZIP at the root of your Pinsound USB drive and wait the customary 7 minutes for conversion. (I used OGG because it produces a zip file that's 6 times smaller.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/naaazaapw7hblw9/Getaway_spblat_TCM_v1.00_ogg.zip?dl=0

I would love to hear about your experiences with this mix.

Added 42 days ago:

ETA: Once the pinsound moderators approve it, you can download 1.01 here: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/306-getawayhs2_the_crystal_method_spblat/

#10325 47 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Question about the Getaway sound files, does anyone know what vocal tracks play after the ball drains? Sometimes I hear two tracks and sometime one. I have a few vocal tracks that are getting cut off but it really is not consistent from game to game. Thanks for the help!

Jingle 1180682125 plays when you roll over an outlane. In my Crystal Method mix above, sometimes it plays to completion and sometimes it’s cut off. I don’t think there’s much you can do except make it shorter.

Here’s everything I know about when each sound is played. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_d4t4_4rld1eYnJWBPAOxjI__DjUkDJ7wV4f9icH7QM/edit?usp=sharing

#10338 42 days ago
Quoted from holminone:

Damn. That is the coolest mod I’ve ever seen. Well done. I miss my Getaway.

Thank you! I've updated the hitchhiker callouts and the "woohoo" you get when you enter your initials.

I don't mind saying that I think my updates are suitable for any Getaway reorchestration. I'll be uploading v1.01 of my Crystal Method mix to the pinsound community today. Download it, delete the music and replace with your own

EDIT:
v1.0.1 of my Crystal Method Getaway mix is posted

EDIT 2: oh. It's pending approval

1 week later
#10360 31 days ago

If the wavy, ghost-y image is caused by excessively high voltage on the higher voltage lines, then installing a ColorDMD would kill two birds with one stone, assuming you want ColorDMD (which you should).

Source: that was my experience

#10389 29 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Bro I don't care if your game has a double headed catapillar that comes out and slaps you across the face when you lose the ball

hello where do I purchase this mod please

1 week later
#10426 19 days ago

Happy Monday! At last, my two new Pinsound mixes for Getaway are posted and available to download. I'm really proud of these.

First: The Crystal Method.

NOTE: This is a slightly NSFW mix. Replace the music files in 0252246587 and 0632683336 to
remove an F-bomb, heard when super jackpot is awarded and when entering initials.

MUSIC

The main theme is "Trip Like I Do" by The Crystal Method. Loops from this track have been
assembled to provide increasing intensity as the game progresses. Other songs used include
"Name of the Game," "Over the Line," "PHD" and "High Roller."

VOICE

All the "deep voice" callouts have been re-recorded by...well, by me. Discussion:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/203#post-5395830

The driver's "hop in" and "damn, they're shooting at us" are also voiced by me.

The hitchhiker and "woooohoo" is voiced by actor Mandy Michaels.

Download the Crystal Method mix here: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/306-getawayhs2_the_crystal_method_spblat/

Second: Prodigy. Same spblat callouts with some adjustments.

Highlights:

6:50 "HE GOT AWAY!!"
9:42 The hitchhiker is having fun too
9:59 "I can't keep up with him!"
12:20 Super Jackpot music
14:35 Start of ball 2

MUSIC

THIS IS A 100% SFW MIX. No part of the song title is ever heard in this mix.

The main theme is "Smack My Bitch Up" by The Prodigy. As you play, you'll hear different sections of various remixes of the song (Major Lazer, SOM, and Noisia) with increasing intensity.

You'll also hear (SFW) excerpts from "Mindfields," "Funky Shit" and "The Day Is My Enemy."

Download the Prodigy mix here: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/307-getawayhs2_prodigy_spblat_10/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spblat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside