• L3 11 votes
    3%
  • L5 120 votes
    34%
  • P7 9 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    2%

(Multiple choice - 348 votes by 346 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shooter repair4 (resized).jpg
shooter repair3 (resized).jpg
Shooter repair2a (resized).png
Shooter repair1 (resized).jpg
Disappearing post fix4 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix3 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix2 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix1 (resized).jpeg
HSIIclear (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Shooter rod (resized).jpg
DSC06633 (resized).JPG
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
PXL_20240408_220306294 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240408_220311370 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparksterz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7490 6 years ago

I've been having an annoying issue lately with the ball getting stuck on the upper left of the playfield behind the second wire roll over switch. Has anyone else had this problem? It's gotten quite annoying...I'm thinking about bending the wire to try and help, but I'm a bit hesitant to do so before asking around.

I've attached a picture...not the greatest, but it's a switch underneath the super charger which makes it exceedingly annoying to get to. I've resorted to mostly cranking down my sensitivity on the tilt sensor so I can hip check the machine to get it loose, but it's happening a bit too often.

45 (resized).jpg45 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#8000 5 years ago

Alright guys, I've got a controversial question here. I'm looking to pick up a Color DMD for my Getaway and I see a lot of you guys have them. I'm personally a fan of the dots and don't suspect I'd use other filters, due to that I'm leaning towards the LED version of the panel over the LCD. My biggest concern however is in ghosting during the video mode of the machine with the LED panel. I know it's not as much of an issue with the LCD, which is why I'm still considering it.

Does anyone with an LED panel regret it, or prefer it? This will be my first Color DMD so I don't have a frame of reference as I've never seen either type in person. I know I'll be picking up an anti-glare mask either way, but still unsure of which panel to pick up...

#8018 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

You mean the ball is hitting it?, nahh it shouldn't be. Is the ramp lifting up fully, perhaps something getting jammed in the mech?

I have had mine get confused before and it basically triggers the ramp up when it's already lifted. Particularly during the pre-ball search, where the first thing it checks is a lifted ramp before triggering all the other solenoids in case the ball is pinned under it.

3 weeks later
#8092 5 years ago

I kinda view things this way, and maybe I'm off base, but it would seem LCD really is more of a replacement, with a general enhancement ability to allow for different viewing types. I am mostly interested in keeping a close to original experience with the addition of color, which really is all that an LED type display can do. I've thought about it for quite a bit, and I think that's the one I'm going to have to go with for that reason. I guess if I find out I've made a huge mistake I can always sell it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 months later
#8426 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

To everyone that ordered CPR Plastics for getaway (in the past or recently)...
I have been discussing with Kevin@CPR about the hole template on the set. I got a replacement set recently, and found the holes drilled for the layered plastics on the slingshots and near the shooter lane where the plastic snap-in standoffs were used were not big enough.
By stand-offs... I mean these fun puppies..
[quoted image]
Kevin says they've not had any issues with this in the past, and we're trying to understand if this is 'steve is stupid' moment, or if other people have had similar issues but just not brought it up (and if changes should be made!)
The specifics... the hole template seems to be 5/32 as the standard screw mount hole size. But there was no difference in size between screw mounts and these stand-off+screw mount hole locations. In particular, the gauge plastics that sit over the slingshots, and the speed sign plastic that is near the lock on the side of the playfield. Plastics at the back of the game, did have larger holes for the stand-offs.
In my case, I expanded the holes to 13/64 to make it large enough to accomodate the stand-off+bolt.
Before Kevin goes and makes going forward changes, can any of you previous buyers chime in on your experience?
Thx

I put my CPR plastic set in a few years ago, but I do recall making the holes for those stand-offs a bit larger. I wasn't sure if it was just me, but I was sure I'd break it even if I managed to cram them in there. Luckily I still had the protective sheets on when I drilled the holes so it was no big deal really. Never did mention it as it was my first plastics kit.

1 week later
#8472 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I like it, but I admit I kinda saw it different in my head. Somehow I thought you'd see the balls in the windows... although they clearly lock UNDER the building.
You don't really see them stock either with that metal plate there IIRC.

Yeah, you really don't unless you're trying pretty hard to angle yourself. The metal plate is just a bit boring in my opinion. Attaching a car, sticker, or donut shop at least makes it a little more interesting.

5 months later
#9088 5 years ago

Yep, having replaced a broken one myself in the past I was so excited when I saw that piece...I knew exactly what it was lol.

3 months later
#9448 4 years ago

Interesting...I typically recoil when I hear a game with pinsound in place of the original audio. Then again, I've never played one, this is only in YouTube videos.

I usually feel the same about the alternate translights too though. I prefer the machine original with slight touches. So, playfield mods, additional police flashers, color DMD are all up my alley, but once you start modifying it too much it feels too different to me.

I can understand the allure for a lot of people though, this is quite a basic machine on its own minus the eye catching super charger.

1 month later
#9594 4 years ago
Quoted from mjenison:

Hi all,
It was brought to my attention that I'd been sitting on this for quite a while. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and it has taken me around 36 versions of modifying the mountain to get the look (and fit) I was aiming for. Obviously, with a print this large, it takes lots of time and lots of materials to find out if changes worked out; it can be a bit of a drain on resource and time. I'll continue tweaking it along the way, but I think I'm at the point where I'm ready to make this available.
Here's the latest version of my 3D printed mountain mod. Price is $90 shipped.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That's a nice looking mountain! If I didn't have one already I'd be looking to snag that. I need to get that clear plastic you have over the super charger...mine looks a bit silly with the mountain mod.

4 weeks later
#9746 4 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Are the pop bumpers on this game a bit weak? I didn't play the game that much before I replaced the pop bumpers and cleaned it up but it seems like the pop bumpers are a bit sluggish now. What is your experience?

I rebuilt mine when I got it and I have to say they're anything but sluggish in my opinion.

#9760 4 years ago

Huh...that's interesting. I would be interested in the shaker, but I actually like to keep all the original sounds. Kinda disappointing that I'd have to buy a whole pinsound setup to use it, but I'm glad it's an option. I could see it being a lot of fun while the RPM rev counter increases when hitting the flipper before a ball launch.

#9763 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

They are working on an option for the shaker to be non-dependent on PinSound, just have to be patient with their release timeline.
https://www.pinsound.org/ready-to-shake
Rev idea was already on my list![quoted image]

Oh - cool stuff! Yeah, I think there are a good few instances for vibration in the game. Will be interesting to see if this becomes a must have mod!

3 weeks later
#9853 4 years ago

To anyone who has built a pinduino supercharger DIY kit have you found the need to trim the LED strip? I get some of them lighting, but not all in the length. The voltage at the end of the strip seems to be more than adequate with 4.81v being read.

Also, any tips for placing that LED strip inside the ring?

#9856 4 years ago

I have it running right now by having the kit fully assembled and installed in my machine. I thought I had broken something, but in assembling an entire duplicate kit I get the same behavior which leads me to believe that my run of LEDs is just longer than the software works with. I haven't actually measured it out to see where the LEDs that are lit would line themselves on the inner track yet, I'll probably be doing that next and routing the wires.

#9858 4 years ago

Ah, yeah I just counted and my strip is definitely more than 47. That would explain it. Thanks!

#9859 4 years ago

Wow, feeling dumb right now...if I had just sized out the outside loop of the super charger with the LED strip in the first place it should have been obvious the amount of lit LEDs.

I did get it installed, I had to raise my strip just a hair above flush, but man is this a cool mod! Wish I did it years ago. No time like the present though!

#9862 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Awesome, and glad you like it! Are you using my program or the default one?

I'm currently using your program. Only thing I wish I could change is to remove the idle animation from the video mode, by I'm guessing there's no way to read the signal for that.

3 months later
#10077 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

To update my post from forever ago, the pinduino was making F112 blow (taking out the flippers , slingshots, and launcher) and eventually taking out the 5V as well. Pulled the pinduino and replaced the fuses, ran through the switch test to clear the credit dot and everything is right as rain. Well, except I cant have that awesome pinduino mod in Getaway :/
I'll prolly order the pinblades and some other stickers for it and call it done. I really gotta get my ginger ass in gear and start my T2 PF swap

I wonder if there's a short somewhere on your pinduino board...I actually may have my spare one sitting around if you wanted to test it.

2 months later
#10468 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The "PinGuy" app works perfectly for this. Download for free from relevant phone brand store, put on level surface and calibrate, then place in center of playfield (glass off) and app will help you calibrate side-to-side and front-to-back levelling. What's nice is that the voice on the app continually calls out both axis levelling measurements, so you can be under the pin correcting the leg adjustments without having to continually bob up and down to check level.
6.5 degrees is perfect for this game IMO.

Still no Android version as far as I can tell

4 months later
#10731 3 years ago

Hmm, think I had a watchdog reset happen when my young nephew was up playing the machine. Slapping the flippers like a mad man and the super charger went to activate and the machine reset. I've heard of power issues causing it, but not sure what to replace to fix it. Any places you all might recommend to start?

#10733 3 years ago

Thanks! Lots to go through. Though... The thermistor does seem similar by description. I didn't get any further resets after the early one and that's including multi-ball and supercharger spinning. I'll have to go through some of these.

4 weeks later
#10750 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

L2 is the best ROM for the game in most people's opinion. I will say, that I've been running L2 for 4+ years, and in that time I've experience the bug 4 or 5 times in hundreds of games. Regardless, it has been rare for me (oddly enough, it mostly occurred early on after installing L2). In those moments when it does occur, I just turn the pin off and consider that game lost. Not always easy to have others do the same when so much is going on, however.
Here is an explanation, but it might make your head spin: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin#post-1407053

Yeah...I didn't quite follow. It seems the game itself does seem to have issues properly tracking balls locked. Another reason I suspect secret mania screws up other player's lock count.

2 months later
#10835 3 years ago

Hmm...that might be interesting. I'm using high speed pop bumper caps on mine and they're still my favorite so far. Light changing ones might be neat - though I worry a bit bright. With that much light do you think a frosted bumper cap might diffuse it well?

#10844 3 years ago
Quoted from matiou:

Did you all see this:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades
We may get a bug free Getaway rom one of these days!

Holy shit! Man that'd be great. Having a setting for the free ride time would be great too. People have the hardest time keeping the ball alive on mine.

1 month later
#10888 3 years ago

I managed a forget playfield swap in about 100 hours. It's not for the faint of heart. I intended on doing my getaway, but I have too many other projects and become disheartened waiting for years on the playfield

1 month later
#10952 3 years ago

Really? My machine never had that. I just assumed someone took an L bracket and put a decal on it.

#10956 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've done just about everything there is to do on a pinball machine, but have never undertaken the daunting task of performing a playfield swap. Always respect those that do, and actually are able to put the game back together 100%.
BTW: My Getaway would definitely benefit from a new playfield.

I find it's easier to do on machines with less connectors to the head. I did it with my Gorgar and a mirco playfield. Overally pretty good experience, some minor re-drilling and troubleshooting. Did take me about 80 hours though.

I was actually on the pre-order list for the german playfields years ago. Then when he did the first runs, no dimples and some inserts were the opposite type in some spots (clear vs clouded). I think it's awesome the playfields were made, but I wasn't ready to take on that level of measurement for each hole. Sorry your swap experience has been less than stellar :/

#10962 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

My Red Light Mania bulb on the ramp entrance sign will come on dimly anytime the 2nd gear light on the playfield below it is on. Anyone else have this happen on their machine?
I haven't measured the voltage, but I think it is a lot less than full as it is pretty dim compared to when it is on for real. It's consistent though, anytime you're in 2nd gear, that red light mania bulb also lights up dimly.
This happens at the beginning of every game as you're going through the gears and you can also see it when you change gears to start the video mode. Wasn't sure if I've got some kind of wiring crossover going on underneath that I need to figure out?

Do you have LEDs? Sounds like ghosting

#10972 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

It sounds like this is what it must be. My game does have LED's, and I thought I had bought the non-ghosting ones, but it's entirely possible I didn't really know what I was choosing when I got them. Or it could be that a couple odd bulbs here and there got into my swap out pile.
This ghosting concept is basically where an LED will light up with just a small amount of power getting to it? And then the non-ghosting bulbs don't change the power coming to the socket, but simply don't come on unless a certain minimum power level is reached? Is that about how it is?

Yeah, that's my understanding at least.

#10979 3 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Don't get the non ghosting bulbs just get the non ghosting rom. I run it and it works great. The only problem is you have to go underground to get it because PPS gets mad if people try to sell them. They promised their own non ghosting rom patch years ago, but big shocker it has never showed up.

Does anyone know the appropriate checksum of L2 with no anti-ghost patch? I'm fairly sure mine doesn't have it. I have the ability to patch it myself, just want to make sure before ordering some chips.

Planetary Pinball only has the L5 and I'm not ready to lose my secret mania and all the chaos it causes.

Edit: Oh...didn't realize they were up on IPDB...I'm a bit surprised to be honest if the licensed rights are owned by PPS.

4 weeks later
#11072 3 years ago
Quoted from Paseb:

hi guys, i would like to rebuild my lower flippers, i bought the rebuild kit but i assumed its a good time to put new coils at the same time?
is anyone happen to have the part number for the coil?
do i need something else at the same time or the rebuild kit is normally complete?
thx for the help.

Usually you shouldn't require replacing the coil unless someone's unwound part of it, or they're otherwise having a functional issue. Sleeves, stops, and linkages tend to solve most issues.

Though if you still feel the need:
lower flippers: https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-fl-11629-flipper-coil.html
upper flipper: https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-fl-11630-flipper-coil.html

#11078 3 years ago
Quoted from Paseb:

this is what i purchased with 2x new coils
https://pinballmedics.ca/product/williamsbally-flipper-rebuild-kit-021992-to-041993/
hopefully, i dont need other parts ?

Probably more than you need I'd imagine. Though I guess it's good to have spares!

#11089 3 years ago

Man, now I'm holding off on a color DMD at this rate. I've been dragging for years. What's another one! Great work so far @Sprudeldudel

#11098 3 years ago
Quoted from McDoom:

Hi everyone, my deal for a getaway unfortunately didn’t happen.
If you know someone in California who’s willing to sell please DM.
I was really looking forward to own this awesome machine.

Better to find one you're happy with, than potentially overpay for something sight unseen. Hope you find one soon!

#11103 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

One of those games , where everything lines up!
[quoted image]

Wow! I had no idea it would track a score that high.

#11104 3 years ago
Quoted from Paseb:

just rebuilt my flippers and put new coils as well! what a difference in gameplay
now i want to rebuild all 3x pop bumpers, any guideline/ideas ?
what pop bumpers color do you guys use?
saw some cool colors on a local supplier
https://pinballmedics.ca/product/wms-bally-stern-transparent-coloured-pop-bumper-body/
https://pinballmedics.ca/product/wms-bally-stern-colored-pop-bumper-bodies/

Most people I've seen do red, yellow, green matched pop caps, and sometimes bodies. I think the red/yellow/green aesthetic is done in enough places that I opted for high speed caps with the dashes. Fits more in line with the rpm/mph aesthetic and I think looks great: ebay.com link: High Speed Pinball Machine POP BUMPER CAP SET

2 weeks later
#11163 3 years ago

Ha! Perfect timing I was just thinking about this myself the other day. Yes, I'd be down!

#11224 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Thank you for this. I'm not sure my own games have this orientation at every coil. I may not have known to check for this when replacing sleeves.
A new question though for anyone out there in Getaway land or similar... my balls have gotten magnetized.
It became crystal clear to me when the balls wouldn't come down out of the lock area to start multiball. I shut the game off and had a look with the glass off and playfield up on horizontal working height and sure enough the balls were not only sticking to each other a little, but the lead ball was sticking to the end of the plunger on that locker coil.
Is there a solution for this? On Getaway at least? The Supercharger is a key feature of the game and the magnets are necessary to make it go. But can we load special balls that are less prone to getting magnetized? Is that even a thing? How can you tell looking at balls on the workbench to tell which ones are which? Or is there something going on with my game that should be dialed down some to help lessen this magnetizing effect? Thanks!

Are you using standard carbon steel balls and not mirror finished ones? I've been using standard ones in my Getaway and never had an issue close to what you're describing. I've seen warnings on a lot of the super high polished ones that warn of issues with magnetization. As for how to tell on a bench...well...not sure. Maybe if you have a microscope you can put it under there and look for how deep the pits are?

#11238 3 years ago

Personally I'm a fan of the decals you used originally. Freeway entrance and wrong way.

3 weeks later
#11319 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, I'm back in the Pinduino game on my supercharger loop. Just to refresh, I was having some supercharger speed issues and the Pinduino LED strip was one of a few factors causing the slow downs. So, I removed the strip and ordered a thinner one off eBay. The new strip work exactly like the old, but is less than half the width and doesn't obstruct the ball whatsoever.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, I found I needed to slightly raise mine above the loop when I installed it. Not by any amount that's been noticed probably only a millimeter

#11345 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I am so tempted, but I've never done a playfield swap and just trying to think through things to determine if I want to undertake such a project.

Having done my Gorgar - it can be a decent challenge. System 6 boards have the benefit of only having a couple playfield looms making it somewhat easier to test the playfield outside of the machine. Same can not be said with the WPC series unfortunately. Nice thing about this game is that there are no drop targets to tweak. I had a hard time lining my drop targets up on my Gorgar. Pop bumpers were the next largest pain point. With removing and relocating so many wires you're bound to come across problems to troubleshoot no matter how careful you are.

This probably isn't the hardest to swap compared to more complex playfields. Though I can't speak at all to mounting the rail hardware as the older Williams ones didn't have any. I've heard this is one heavy playfield if you're taking the existing playfield out without taking off the super charger.

Should you decide to tackle it - plan on 80 hours, and I found it very useful to push playfield pieces into insulation foam board in their rough positions so that it made things easier to match up parts later on.

That being said, I would do it again. It'd be between this machine and my FirePower to tackle next.

1 month later
#11408 2 years ago

Interesting...mine looks exactly the same as golfergordy I guess I should swap that out then. Thanks for linking the parts Mr_Tantrum

#11417 2 years ago
Quoted from golfergordy:

Malenko
1) I owned a Ford Taurus built in the 1980's. I bought brake pads at a Ford dealer for it, but the pads didn't look exactly like the ones from my car. The guy selling parts searched the parts shelves and found a set of pads identical to the ones from my car so I bought them and they fit into the calipers properly. The guy told me that on rare occasion the factory runs out of the correct parts on the assembly line and then substitutes another part which will work just fine, which in my case was the calipers, and the substituted calipers were for the police car version of the Taurus. I don't know if the guy made up that story, but it sounded reasonable at the time.
2) In another example - I own a Bally Evel Knievel home model pb game that I bought brand new in 1978. To my astonishment, I discovered that a golfing buddy of mine owned the same game which he also bought in 1978. My buddy's game had a broken slingshot coil mounting bracket, and since he wasn't very handy at fixing things I went to his house and replaced the broken bracket. While I was doing the repair, I noticed that some of the hardware on his game (which is only visible when lifting up the pf) was different than on my game. I assumed that they occasionally run out of parts at the factory during assembly and just substitute equivalent parts which don't affect game play.
With the above 2 examples in my background, it seems reasonable to me that the Williams factory might substitute one kicker armature for another to keep the assembly line going. Also, since sparksterz stated above that his parts look the same as mine, I wonder if his Getaway was manufactured near the same time as mine, and the factory used the same parts substitution in both games. My serial # is 50004 090040. I hope sparksterz can tell us what his serial # is.

50004 851979

Upon second look of my assembly it is white but mostly flush with the protruding tip.

PXL_20210626_023941238 (resized).jpgPXL_20210626_023941238 (resized).jpgPXL_20210626_023958856 (resized).jpgPXL_20210626_023958856 (resized).jpgPXL_20210626_024011395 (resized).jpgPXL_20210626_024011395 (resized).jpgPXL_20210626_024033832 (resized).jpgPXL_20210626_024033832 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#11453 2 years ago

Hmm...anyone have a picture that shows about what the height of the vertical right flipper guide rail should be? The ball's come out of the super charger on bad shots enough times and basically flattened it down to the playfield. I was going to fill the holes and try to redo them but was wondering about how high to go as to not make it "too" easy.

#11454 2 years ago

... taking a closer look at this, I'm pretty sure the guide wasn't meant to go all the way through the wood which it now definitely has

#11456 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Can you post a pic of the area you are referencing?

Yeah, it's here. I tried the toothpick + wood glue, but it still went through it. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a more legitimate repair to fill the wood and let it set for 48 hours etc. But this at least made it tighter and will stave me off for the short term.

PXL_20210723_202134821 (resized).jpgPXL_20210723_202134821 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#11471 2 years ago

I had accidentally soldered mine to the inner loop. That made for some quite fun gameplay actually as each outer loop would award a 2 way combo. Unfortunately the game would also experience some decent glitching. Mine's worked much better since moving it back, though I had one case where it seemed to be counting/triggering the super charger millions (GI would flash). I'll have to keep an eye on it. My diode might be dead.

#11481 2 years ago
Quoted from Nick_C:

Good Morning all, The more I play this game the more I see things that are not correct. strange issue, when I use the flippers, Left and right, 90 points are awarded 90% of the time, when the super charger light (yellow) is on it awards 1 million 90 points. As far as I know there are no switches that award 90 points, to award 1 million the opto on the supercharger "exit" must be temporarily covered. I looked at all connectors and the opto board for cracked solder connections, the 2 resistors seemed to have cracked solder which I removed the old solder and applied new.
I also have the diverter cycle open/close randomly when the flippers are activated.
Searched around for this type of problem without luck.
TIA

I don't have much direct help, but when I accidentally soldered my spinner to the inner loop and sent my ball around the outer loop it was causing erratic behavior such as this. I would have my super charger diverter occasionally opening for seemingly no reason. Have you gone into switch test and tried hitting the flippers to see if any additional switch hits are being registered?

#11483 2 years ago
Quoted from Nick_C:

I made a separate post in the tech forum, someone replied with a link to pinwiki that described my exact problem.
Here is the link if anyone ever has this problem.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-getaway-points-added-when-flippers-activavted

That's wild... I'm sure my optos could use some love for sure.

#11518 2 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Made some flipper cabinet protectors for my machine. Fully laminated and removable. $15/pair if anybody wants some.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Those look nice. I was planning on placing an order in a bit from your pinside shop (being out of the country trying to do it all in one shot ). Will you be listing them on there?

1 week later
#11528 2 years ago

I visited pinwiki last night...getting the ever so fun WPC reset when hitting both flippers on cold boot. Seems to alleviate while letting the machine "warm up"

Reading the following voltages:
4.95v at TP2
4.90v at pin 32 of ROM
9.6v-9.0v from BR2 at idle
116v from wall as well as accessory port while machine is off.

Examined and re-seated: J101, J114, J116, J117 & J118 - didn't seem to have any poor connections or pins. Checked for tight grounded screws on the corners of the driver board and all seems good there as well.

The only thing I couldn't seem to figure out how to check were the flipper diodes...perhaps I'm just dense, but is there any way to test those without taking them off of the coil entirely?

Tried getting a min/max reading from 5v on TP2 a couple times when the machine would reset, but it might be too rapid of a drop/recovery to be detected with my multi-meter.

Would be interested to hear any other thoughts. Tempted to just pull it and replace LM323 but that seems like jumping a ways ahead...

#11530 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

you do have to pull the diode to test them on coils...at least one leg, but you typically have to replace it (and they're cheap), but if it was bad, I think you would have other problems...have you replaced all your electrolytic caps on the PDB? espically that 5V cap(C4 I believe)?...

Nope - none of them yet. Is it typical to do across the board cap replacements? Or just kinda one at a time in targeted areas?

3 weeks later
#11540 2 years ago

Hmm...maybe I should remove mine - At one point I had the machine dialed in just right, but despite having cross referenced my leveling with the pinball leveling app I just can't seem to get that shot to flow like it used to.

#11542 2 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I pulled mine out, I still clunk the shot all the time but my machine had a lot of geometry issues.

As in warped playfield?

#11555 2 years ago

Yeah, I've been interested in the pin2dmd as it looks like scenes can be improved. The lack of plug and play units and ready to go software makes me a little hesitant to the whole thing though.

1 week later
#11565 2 years ago

I put a color dmd in my machine finally. I can now understand why people say pinsound is the better bang for your buck. Don't get me wrong it looks nice, but doesn't feel as impactful as it does on my STTNG.

#11567 2 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Prepare to sell it. Trust me.

Yeah - I've been following your stuff. I had concerns about being able to not only source the Pin2DMD in the US, but if your package would become public. I would have no qualms replacing it and then using the sold ColorDMD funds on more pinball fun!

3 weeks later
#11622 2 years ago

You might be able to try the old camera trick to see if the emitter opto is powered. You need a camera lacking an IR filter. Most phones these days have them on the rear camera, but I've found that's usually not the case for a front facing one. I've also used a Wyze cam v2 to help troubleshoot that as well.

1 week later
#11633 2 years ago

Typically the biggest causes for slowdown are where the latch swings open to keep the ball going through the ramp. The rivets that hold the metal to the post can wear, you can also have issues if it's opening too far/not enough. A quick way to test is to throw the machine into SC test mode and try to adjust the position of the gate with your finger to see if adjusting it slightly yields better performance.

#11636 2 years ago

I believe some pages back people had talked about rubbing specific oils on it...but idk while it'd be fun for mine to go quicker that sounds like a sure fire way to cause a real mess of things.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I just ordered the 4mm black version from Ebay: ebay.com link: Narrow DC 5V WS2812B Led Strip Individually Addressable WS2812 Led pixel Light
I just spent a couple of days trying to figure out my supercharger speed issues - again. Since I've owned the pin, it has always been slow (average above 130 and never dropped below 120). I thought I had done everything: I've tested all the magnets and they fire, I replaced the accelerator board with a brand new one, I've replaced all of the optos, I've cleaned and even waxed the entire inside of the loop (even under the magnets), and even removed my Pinduino lighting. Yet, I still couldn't do any better than around a 130 average.
Then I was chatting with tampa12 and he mentioned how fast he had gotten his supercharger to run . . . I was jealous. He shared with me how many ohms resistance each of his coils have, and how much idle and fire state voltage was being sent to them. I got out my meter and all of my coils had between 3.2 to 4.0 ohms (which is acceptable), idle voltage was about 3 volts on each coil, and when activated by blocking the corresponding optos it jumped up to almost 50 volts at times. During the testing, however, I noticed that the center coil didn't always have constant voltage when idle. After some playing around, I determined the issue was a bad wire/connection inside the plug that provides power to the coil. I happen to have what I need to extract the wires and re-pin them. After doing this I was getting a constant 3 volts.
Unfortunately, after testing I shaved a few ticks off my timing but still couldn't get anything below 120. Then tampa12 shared with me that he used synthetic oil to very lightly lube the inside of his supercharger loop. I didn't have any and was willing to go buy a quart just for this, but then remembered I had a small amount of silicone oil which is a good clear and safe lubricant. I applied a very light coating on the inside surfaces of the supercharger loop, went into supercharger speed test, and was blown away. I was now getting average times in the low 90's and even dropped below 90 a couple of times.
I've since played a few games, and the extra supercharger speed is awesome! I then figured I would reinstall my Pinduino lighting and even applied it where it was about 1mm above the top of the loop. I put the pin in supercharger test mode, and now my average was approaching 110. I took the lighting back off, and I'm back down to the low 90's, which is what led me to ordering the light strip I reference at the first of this post based upon the lighting Sprudeldudel suggested.
I know this is a lengthy post, but hopefully others who are in a similar situation as I was will find this information to be helpful.

#11639 2 years ago

Always good to do any work needed to pop bumpers while the playfield is swapped. I know some people like putting translucent red, yellow, green bodies on theirs.

Aside from that you've kinda hit the main parts of the machine...past that you can do a lot of mods

#11642 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I used silicon oil and it has performed perfectly for months now with zero residue/mess issues. It's not like you are squirting it on, rather, an extremely thin layer wiped on with a paper towel.
BTW, the only reason I chose what I did is because Amazon was out of this stuff:

Hey, thanks for following up. Always wondered if it worked out for ya! Maybe I'll do it myself. I've got a playfield cleaning coming up

4 weeks later
#11701 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Got the unlimited multiball bug again. This is the second time in less than 50 plays! Looks like upgrading from L-2 is in my future.

Yeah, that happens to me frequently too unfortunately. I still haven't migrated from L-2 though. Really hoping that Soren releases an update in the next couple years that fixes it. I know he has a patched L-5, but I just prefer having the run the red light animation and secret mania. Definitely not a tournament worthy ROM, but I play for fun :p

3 weeks later
#11754 2 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Have two 9k + games sitting next to the Getaway and all I want to do is play this game how fucked up is that

Yeah, I've never paid more than 4k for any of mine. Pinball is fun and all but...

1 week later
#11820 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I'm assuming you are on L2 or L5 (L1 does not offer a free ball in video mode).
Also, I never see the free ball offer in video mode now that I always drive on the left side of the road - I don't know exactly what triggers it.

That's usually how I do my video modes too, out of boredom I started sweeping lanes from side to side. I've found when doing that I will occasionally see the Extra ball toward the end of the mode if I haven't crashed. I wonder if there's an internal examination of lanes happening which triggers the appearance along with some chance factor.

1 week later
#11846 2 years ago
Quoted from Hans_Saris:

Picked up a Getaway this weekend! Very happy with the game that plays very well!
Game came with several mods. I.e. next to the Beacon light two blue led flashers are mounted on the top of the backbox. Beacon light is working as it should, but those added Flashers do not. Looked at the wiring and it looked damaged and incomplete inside the backbox. Also believe Voltage converter (?) is broke (black on one side / looks burnt). How to best get required wiring / converter? What specific parts are needed? Would be great to have this mod working again!
Thanks for sharing any further guidance, Hans
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have a mod that looks quite similar to this that I installed ages ago. I'll see if I can get some time to look at how it's installed on mine later today.

Also, I don't think that's burnt - just looks like an epoxy blob to obfuscate the chip on the board.

1 month later
#11931 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

anyone have a link to this? ...can't find it on thingiverse

One of the other files in this mountain mod:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4539022

2 weeks later
#12003 2 years ago
Quoted from Hans_Saris:

I lost a ball once .. and found it back at the bottom of cabinet! Since it happens only once and played a lot of games since then, I dit not look into how this could possibly happen yet. So maybe take a second look into cabinet to find your ball.
Also, anyone experienced same? If so, what is flaw in game / cabinet design that this can happen?

I had exactly this happen after hundreds of games. My son did it. Still no idea how.

3 weeks later
#12055 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Cliffy's for sure (I have them on all my other games and just looked them up - mainly shooter eject and the kickback protector). However, not really a fan of the playfield protectors. Don't mean to start any arguments as they have their pros and cons, I just prefer to not use them.
My OEM playfield also has Mylar in the pop area. I don't really like it as it is rather dull compared to the rest of the playfield. Did anyone treat this area on their new playfield?

On my Gorgar swap I didn't put mylar down around the pop bumpers and it's been holding up just fine. Really more of an issue I suspect if you put a lot of heavy play on it.

2 months later
#12187 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Saturday night. A good night for pinball. Finally rolled the scoreboard on my Getaway!![quoted image]

Nice! I wondered what would happen. Never got close myself though.

3 months later
#12386 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

It's not about being correct TBH. Why destroy the original when you don't need to?? Getting a rod machined up to the same specs with a thread one end is simple and relatively cheap. Price may depend on who you ask to do the job but it's not a difficult task by no means. It's just a bit of lathe work and pretty much any machine/engineering shop would do it for not a huge charge. It's like about an hours work tops!! And the best bit ..... you still have the original rod to change back to if you wish OR want to sell the machine and the new potential owner wants it original as much as possible.

You should sell spares then :p
I'd buy one

#12394 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Hey i could get them made up for a decent price BUT add the postage to the US you guys would be able to get one made yourself for far less which makes as much sense as destroying the original. Let's face it, once the original is gone i don't think you can buy another, at least i haven't seen any for sale anyway.

Ah - yeah, missed your location. I still buy things from AUS on occasion though >.>

1 week later
#12433 1 year ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Thank you. I’ve read that forum a couple of times. I was just trying to figure out what’s going on with my inserts. I think they’re just lifted and getting chewed up. I might end up leaving it alone for now and come back to it later.

FWIW the edges on a lot of my inserts are the same. Doesn't impact how well it plays in my case. I've done a playfield swap on my Gorgar, a much simpler machine. Doing a swap of this one would be quite the ordeal I'm sure.

3 months later
#12633 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

It's happened to me maybe 3 times in 5 years. There are a specific set of circumstances that cause it to arise. Here is the explanation I referenced sometime ago in this thread related to "endless multiball":
"However, the bug is slightly mislabeled, even though that is the generally-seen manifestation. The bug is that every 3rd ball arrival into the lockup starts multiball. So normally what happens is people have 1 or 2 balls locked, then start RLM. RLM runs normally, you get a jackpot. If you had 2 balls locked, then the arrival of the jackpot ball restarts multiball (complete with ball saver (even for multiball 2+), relaunching drained ball(s), and making light jackpot lit (i.e. 20 loops to light jackpot)). If you had 1 ball locked, then you can go for the RLM super (augmented to 100M) after RLM jackpot. If you make the super shot, then at that point that will be the third arrival, and multiball will restart. With 0 balls locked, you can get jackpot-super-super then multiball restarts.
Similarly, you could have one ball locked, get a jackpot during RLM, light lock again, lock 1 ball, multiball starts. Confused yet? It's easy for me because I understand exactly why the bug is there."

There has to be an easier set of circumstances because I often have multiple non-pinball people who manage to trigger it and they are definitely not locking balls or getting RLM too much. I most often see them get it on the sympathy multi-ball that the tunnel shot can occasionally give.

3 months later
#13017 11 months ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

Several years ago, I bought the flashing blue lights as a mod for my Getaway (pic of mine mounted on backbox next to beacon). I'm now working on another Getaway rest-mod project for someone else and would like to add these again. For the life of me, I cannot seem to find a source for these and cannot recall where I got mine. Does anyone recall where these came from/who offers them? See pic. Thanks!
[quoted image]

Nope - I have some of the same ones. They're easily over a decade old. This thread seems to be related - may not be exactly the same as yours. Looks slightly different from mine as well, but it's all pretty close: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-getaway-blue-led-police-flasher-mod-4-sale

1 week later
#13046 11 months ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Disconnected/broken/failed-open diode would cause a single switch not to work, but would not affect other switches.
Shorted/failed-closed diode would cause other switches on the playfield to phantom-close, but wouldn't affect the switch with the bad diode.
You're on to something with them all being on the same column. If some other switches on that column do work, then it's something on the playfield, not the board. I would trace the Green/Brown wire upstream from each of the bad switches, and look for a break. Then measure continuity between each switch along that wire if you don't see anything right away.
I just posted a video diagnosing a switch matrix issue on my Getaway. It's not the same type of issue you're facing, but If you're brand new to switch matrix, it might help describe how the matrix works.

This is wild, but I think I had this same problem nearly 2 years ago. I sent a message to Mr_Tantrum back then, my video I sent him is sadly gone, but my behavior was/is almost exactly the same from what I managed to troubleshoot at the time:

Hey, I'm having some unusual behavior now that I've hooked the spinner up to score. Basically if I hit the spinner good and make a rotation I get to a scenario where I hit both the left freeway top and bottom switch which seems to be triggering my supercharger "made loop" opto. The result is quite unusual gameplay when hitting the outer loop as the GI flash will flash like I'm in the super charger and it actually counts it as one rotation in some scenarios like multi-ball mode.

I never pinned down the fact that it may have been caused when the spinner itself was closed. I'm going to test this scenario out again with the spinner switch held closed to see if I can reproduce it too.

I wanted to revisit it, but with 2 kids under the age of 4 that hasn't happened lol. Thanks for posting such a detailed walk-through. Things make a lot more sense!

#13049 11 months ago

Yeah, I was able to live with it for one ball, but getting multi-ball kinda weirded it out too much for me. I've gotta buy a pack of diodes now and wait for it to ship in unless I can find another one to harvest...but I'm looking forward to getting it scoring. Still makes me happy from an aesthetic standpoint at least.

4 months later
#13337 6 months ago

Yeah...looking through the patch notes for that rom...is it really doing much? I thought vanilla L5 removed secret mania and fixed the multiball bug? Is that not the case?

#13356 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

What do I win???
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Golf rules unfortunately. But yeah, mine's in that range too. About to do a quick surface level clean to it and see if I can improve things a bit

3 months later
#13651 3 months ago

So...does anyone frequently encounter your ball being shot into the bottom of the cab? I just cleaned mine up recently and it's playin' fast, but if I don't hit that Supercharger with enough force to make the loop...It seems like if one keeps spinning it'll bump it up enough on it's way to try to enter the supercharger (slowly) and send it right over the plastic that guards the u-turn loop and I hear a giant thud as it lands in the bottom of my cabinet. Happened twice now in a few weeks...

2 months later
#13697 38 days ago

That's some bold placement lol. I'm pretty sure I've had balls fly off from that point.

#13703 37 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've made this point several times over the years related to the multitude of Ferrari featured Getaway mods/toys, apron cards, graphics, backglasses, etc. I don't know what it is with people that they can't differentiate between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari, but for me the difference is strikingly obvious. I've also pointed out that in the Getaway promo video Steve Ritchie is actually driving a red Lamborghini Diablo, which should settle any confusion. I guess to some early 90's red Italian super cars all look alike.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Even if someone can't see the differences in body shape and lines (I don't know how this could ever be the case), the dead giveaway is the iconic wheel design:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I just find it comical at this point. It's kept me from adding a lot of mods out there for sure!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 20.00
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparksterz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin?tu=sparksterz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.