• L3 11 votes
    3%
  • L5 120 votes
    34%
  • P7 9 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    2%

(Multiple choice - 348 votes by 346 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shooter repair4 (resized).jpg
shooter repair3 (resized).jpg
Shooter repair2a (resized).png
Shooter repair1 (resized).jpg
Disappearing post fix4 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix3 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix2 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix1 (resized).jpeg
HSIIclear (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Shooter rod (resized).jpg
DSC06633 (resized).JPG
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
PXL_20240408_220306294 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240408_220311370 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider okgrak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8792 5 years ago

Hey I’ve got an issue with my Getaway but can’t seem to find any previous posts about it. When I turn on machine, before Starting a game, it will just continually make the engine revving sound over and over again. It doesn’t matter if attract mode is on or off, it will always do it when idle. Any ideas?

1 month later
#8929 5 years ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

Hi everyone,
During gameplay, the ramp lift is always getting up and down, looks like it's searching for the right position...
In test mode it's fine, and I checked the big switch which is perfectly adjusted, whatelse could I check? thanks.

Have you made any progress on this? I'm having the same issue and I'm on rom L-5.

Everything tests out with no issues in test mode on mine.

1 month later
#9060 5 years ago

I resolved my ramp constantly going up/down issue when the lock is lit on random occassions. Turns out it was a software issue. My machine was on ROM L-1, and I updated to L-5 which completely resolved the issue. Posting this for future reference in case anyone goes searching for this issue.

1 month later
#9246 5 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Finally found a decent priced getaway near me. It needs a bit of cosmetic work but it plays great. Spent some time today cleaning the playfield and giving the center play area a good buffing.
I noticed some of my bayonet bulbs are a bit finicky, you have to jiggle the bulb a bit to get it to light, also my LEDs are ghosting. Is that common with this title? They’re standard bulbs I used successfully on my Jurassic Park.
[quoted image]

Did you fix the issue with your light sockets? I had the same issue with my Shadow, and I fixed it by taking the bulb out, scraping the inside of the socket with steel wool, and then cleaning using rubbing alcohol on a q-tip.

3 months later
#9602 4 years ago

Anyone planning on getting the new Shaker Motor Kit from Pinsound for their machine? I'm on the fence about ordering.

Seems like it could be a nice addition to Mr_Tantrum 's mixes.

2 months later
#9886 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, I think #4 would be a replacement for the wife (not something I want to do), as she pretty much told me point blank that 3 is all we have room for.

Looks like there is some room just to the right....

#9892 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I thought that I’ve asked this before but can’t seem to find it, so I apologize if redundant.
I have an intermittent issue where the left flipper drops at times, but continues to work almost immediately when I repress the flipper button. In other words, I might be cradling the ball and the flipper will just go limp, but I can repress the button and it works (sometimes it takes a few presses). Other times I might press the left button during play and the flipper won’t fire immediately.
Is this most likely just a leaf switch adjustment? Something I’ve been slow to address, but now that I’ve had friends over a couple of times to play, it is kind of embarrassing.

I would clean the contacts of the leaf switch and make sure the is no pitting on the contacts to make sure there is a solid connection. You can use a multimeter set to continuity and test depressing the flipper button to see if it is indeed a leaf switch issue.

2 weeks later
#9953 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

I finally broke a billion! Love this game. It's such a pure game.[quoted image]

Dang, I can barely break 300M. How long did this game take? how many extra balls?

2 months later
#10089 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Tantrum is great, got a ton of stuff for my HS2. The shooter lane and Donut Heaven stickers are must haves.
Pinsounds are a pretty penny but are pretty awesom etoo, especially for using replacement sounds and music. I'd get one and a shaker but they are cost prohibitive for me. I can barely afford the run down pins I buy as it is.

I was very skeptical about pinsound due to the prohibitive price. However after installing four of them (T2, IJ, HS2, WWFRR) I feel that it is one of the biggest improvements you can make to any machine ( if there is a high quality re-orchestration available ). It really brings these machines to life while still authentic to the original mix with a huge boost to immersiveness. On my HS2 I have a volume control which allows me to switch between 6 different sound packages on the fly, which really keeps things interesting. I am a full pinsound believer.

#10091 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I'm a pinsound believer too, I'm just poor.

Yeah, they are prohibitively expensive, but these guys need to get their R&D costs back somehow. The material cost of the board is probably $100, but these guys have spent years getting the software to work with WMS/WPC/Stern/DE etc.

#10104 4 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Thanks. I had no idea.
Just load multiple versions of the soundtrack on the usb, use with the headphone jack and all set?

I would recommend using the pinsound software to load the sound packages. You avoid having the board uncompress the zip files and do conversion, which saves time and avoids errors.

1 week later
#10176 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I have a new Pulp Fiction orchestration for Getaway I may upload this weekend. It’s not perfect but a first draft. Need to find a way to improve the quality of the vocal tracks. Pretty sure they are mono. Taken from video clips from You Tube.

Ooh. Great idea

3 weeks later
#10281 4 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

I'm looking to upgrade the speakers in my Getaway without buying a pinsound or investing 100s of dollars. I'm just looking for a better sound than stock.
Has anyone played around with their speakers and what did you use?

I’d say you can upgrade all three speakers in your cabinet for about $40 including a crossover. That’s about the minimum and will compete with the $100+ branded pinball upgrade packages. If you search around you can find a guide for how to DIY this on the cheap. Because the amplifiers are low power, the sensitivity rating of the speakers is very important.

#10288 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

From experience, here is what I would say. If your current speakers are good (not cracked, etc.) and you don't have a PinSound. You will notice little to no difference with new budget speakers (even rewired to stereo like I did). It all has to do with the quality of the sound being pumped to the speakers. However, if you upgrade to PinSound you now will have significantly better source audio. Now, upgraded speakers definitely will make a difference. You'll want to re-wire for stereo instead of mono and use two of the same sized speakers instead of the current setup in the backbox. While a budget speaker setup will sound significantly better, there is also a small noticeable quality difference when upgrading to PinSound speakers or equivalent.
Originally, I replaced my speakers with some budget Polks (backbox and cab). I was terribly disappointed in that I didn't notice any difference. I then rewired for stereo, again I was disappointed. Purchased my PinSound and was blown away by the quality. I added PinSound speakers to my JP, and it sounded slightly better I thought than my Getaway. I bit the bullet and bought PinSound speakers for my Getaway to replace the Polk ones, and immediately noticed an improved sound quality (deeper/richer/etc.) Admittedly, the difference is minor and to many it would not be worth the extra cost to go from a good budget speaker to a great speaker system.
Anyway, my 2 cents. If you plan on keeping the original sound board and your current speakers are in good physical condition, then I think you're wasting your money upgrading them without first adding a PinSound to the mix.

This is definitely true for games pre DCS, but I've seen a big improvement upgrading speakers in DCS and newer games. The sound packages are much higher quality with less compression in DCS mixes.

#10289 4 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

`I dont know much about speakers, so a guide would be great. Would that guide be on Pinside?

http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

This guide is old but still accurate.

I've used these parts in the past:

Woofer:
https://www.parts-express.com/full-range-8-speaker-pioneer-type-b20fu20-51fw--292-430

$14 and 91db sensitivity. There is no comparison to the original factory speaker installed. In fact the OEM replacement speakers are twice this price for 10% of the performance.

Backbox speakers:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pc105-4-4-full-range-poly-cone-driver--295-158

$12 and 90db sensitivity.

#10291 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I'm speaking from actual firsthand experience with my Getaway, and everything I stated is accurate. I can't tell you want a great disappointment it was after replacing the speakers and playing my first game. I literally could barely tell the difference even though my old cabinet speaker cone was busted. Adding in the L-Pad helped a little since it allowed better control, but if you expect you are going to all of a sudden get noticeably better results just by replacing the speakers when the source audio doesn't change (i.e. midi-sounding, mono, low kHz, low power from driver board, etc.), you will be greatly disappointed.
However, if the plan is to someday upgrade your sound board then you'll definitely want to upgrade speakers at some point, and a budget set will probably suffice for most owners.

I wasn’t at all disputing you. Getaway is a pre-dcs game with a low quality soundboard and highly compressed mix. You would have had a much different experience if you had the same experimentation on a DCS game.

For instance, on my Shadow, just changing the speakers with the original soundboard has brought it to life. I have bass that fills the entire cabinet and much greater range in my backbox which no longer sounds muffled and low fidelity. All with a $40 speaker upgrade.

#10293 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sorry for the confusion, and I would agree. There are definitely pins where sound quality is significantly improved by upgrading speakers because the OEM ones are under spec'ed and not up to the level of the sound that is being pumped to them. I'm guessing that audio quality was not at the top of the list back in the day when all of the pins were in loud arcades with a multitude of fighting ambient sounds going on.

They also didn’t care much when they choose $1 speakers when manufacturing these machines. Your AFM is a late DCS soundmix with solid speakers in your LE remake. So that’s a pretty good example of what a DCS game might sound like with nice speakers and no pinsound upgrade.

#10308 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

It's a speaker - what is the acceptable power range, ohm specs, etc. Just because the design them to work optimally with PinSound (PinSound does the same with there speakers), it doesn't mean you can't use the speakers for other applications. I would want to understand the scientific/technical explanation of why certain speakers cannot be used in certain applications.

I’m guessing the pinsound specific package from FF is missing the crossover on the cabinet speaker? Might make sense to see if you can buy one directly from FF.

3 weeks later
#10396 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Looks like all 5 opto pairs are dead in switch testing. No bad wire connections at any of the 10 optos. Looks like they all share a green/gray wire so off to trace that next.
Just figured out that the other 3 switches in that column that share the green/gray register okay (3 bottom left bank targets), so it is just the optos failing.

Could it be the opto board under the playfield?

3 weeks later
#10506 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

For those of you who have been missing out on the greatness of PinSound, now is your chance (I just received this promo email):
Hundreds of machines everywhere, thousands of pinball friends, a fantastic venue in Texas, ... It should have happened this weekend. A huge shoutout for all the hard work and effort done by the TPF team! For every order placed from Friday to Sunday on our shop, we will donate 5% to the Texas Pinball Festival to help them recoup their costs and investments.
For now, as we all have to stay safe, here are our special deals from our virtual PinSound TPF booth:
buy 1 PinSound Ultimate Pack and get free shipping on your order - coupon code TPF20ULTIMATE
buy 1 PinSound+ sound board, get 1 Headphones Station for free - coupon code TPF20HPS
buy 1 DMDLux, get a No More Reset for free - coupon code TPF20LUX
Deals only valid from Friday 27 to Sunday 29 March

The headphone station is absolutely essential for The Getaway.

1 year later
#11258 3 years ago
Quoted from golfergordy:

I recently picked up a Getaway HSII, and some days the game keeps shutting down momentarily and then resets right back up - this usually occurs during multi-ball, but also sometimes when 1st starting up the game. Other days the game plays just fine. I know that there's a logically organized procedure for checking components out on pinwiki.com for this problem, but I'm wondering if anyone who has had this problem solved it, and what was done to correct this problem. I've checked the line voltage and it's always between 119.8 - 120.4 VAC, on a 15 A circuit with nothing else connected to the circuit, which I think should be fine. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I'd follow this guide to diagnose as it could be a multitude of factors causing the resets. From the connector down to the caps or even the the voltage regulator on the board.

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Trade
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider okgrak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin?tu=okgrak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.