• L3 8 votes
    3%
  • L5 93 votes
    34%
  • P7 7 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 270 votes by 269 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,039 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2870.JPG
IMG_2869.JPG
hs14 (resized).jpg
pops (resized).jpg
IMG_2863 (resized).JPG
IMG_2862 (resized).JPG
IMG_7981.jpg
IMG_2814.JPG
IMG_2815.JPG
IMG_2812.JPG
IMG_2811.JPG
IMG_2807.JPG
IMG_2794.JPG
IMG_2793.JPG
IMG_2780.JPG
IMG_2782.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kyle5574.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#301 5 years ago

I ran across the PinSound site today. They've got all the Getaway sounds posted. There are several that I don't remember hearing, like the "I'm going as fast as I can" and the "Damn, they're shooting at us!" callouts...
http://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/wpc-fliptronics/getaway/

I run L2. Are the callouts different in the later versions?

#304 5 years ago

^^^ What ROM version?

4 months later
#518 4 years ago

I'm designing a tachometer mod for my Getaway inspired by HOOKED's Mustang mod. I'll probably start by connecting to the playfield tachometer lights. I've thought about maybe doing something with the supercharger too--like "boosting" the tach every time the ball goes around. I posted a video of my progress. I'm still prototyping, so there's no finished product to show off, but it might be of interest to the engineer-type folks out there.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-series-designing-and-building-a-new-mod

#520 4 years ago

^^^ Huh...yeah, a servo would have been a lot easier. But the challenge is what drew me to the project. I'm in it to learn.

If I connect it under the playfield, I'll end up using 4 separate boards: 3 to intercept the lamp matrix wires on the three playfield tach lamp boards (even then, there are a couple lamps that will need to be desoldered and rerouted to a board), and another board for the micro and tach driver circuitry. Or maybe I can run my own little lamp matrix in parallel with the real lamp matrix and tap into it right off the board in the backbox. The latter would allow me to keep everything on one board. ...but I haven't thought much about how/if a parallel lamp matrix would work. It's definitely going to be a lot of work to integrate.

If I don't do anything to detect attract mode, the needle will probably peg because, if I remember right, all the tach lights flash during attract. I might be able to differentiate attract mode from gameplay by watching the lowest tach insert lamp. I think it flashes during attract, but is solid during gameplay.

2 weeks later
#539 4 years ago

I had my stoplight out of the machine today and noticed some designs on the PCB. Looks like "Butch" and "CET". Engineers leaving their marks, maybe?

IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG
IMG_1052.JPG

#542 4 years ago

Is there a story behind it?

#545 4 years ago

My outside guide is a bit tighter than the orange playfield art towards the top of the orbit. I remember somebody questioning alignment of that guide and posting pictures of it, but I can't find the thread. Where is the ball bouncing up? Maybe a solution like the one in this thread would help?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-not-so-smooth-ball-flow-in-orbits

#546 4 years ago

I run the L-2 ROMs. I was recording some gameplay and I caught the Secret Mania ball lock bug in the video. Makes we want to try out the L-5 ROMs.

#561 4 years ago

I think I'd do an exhaustive switch matrix test.

Or maybe video some gameplay and compare your per-switch scores with other people's gameplay footage. I posted some L-2 gameplay footage a few posts back.

#578 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

The software is version 1.

Version 1 can damage your Supercharger driver. You should update to 2 or 5. I get EEPROMs from John Wart here on Pinside. Here is his site:

http://www.thatpinballplace.com/eproms/index.htm

Purchase an chip puller tool from his site while you're there. You use that to pull the EEPROMs from their sockets on your board.

You're going to lose your high scores, your settings, and your audit data.

Before pulling a chip, mind the orientation of the chip on the board. There will be a notch in the chip on one end and you need to make sure the notch is the same way when you install your new chip. Power off first. Make sure to pull straight, perpendicular to the board. If you pull one end more than the other, you may bend the legs of the chip. Push the new chip in, making sure to match the orientation of the old chip and making sure all the legs get into the socket. Push it in firmly. Power back on and you're done!

3 weeks later
#594 4 years ago

During Super Charger Mode, the super charger award does increase by 5 million for every super charger shot completed during the mode (20 seconds). It's described on page XI of the manual.

The number of police cars in front of Donut Heaven is random and somewhat significant. Shift twice when three cars are shown to start Secret Mania.

1 month later
#710 4 years ago

I made some progress on my Getaway tachometer mod. I finished the design of the circuit board and sent it out for fabrication. I also ordered over a thousand separate components (enough to make about 5 boards). Some pictures here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-series-designing-and-building-a-new-mod

#714 4 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

I made some progress on my Getaway tachometer mod. I finished the design of the circuit board and sent it out for fabrication. I also ordered over a thousand separate components (enough to make about 5 boards). Some pictures here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-series-designing-and-building-a-new-mod

You can copy/paste or open in new tab.

#723 4 years ago

^^^ Sounds like the L2 endless multiball bug. That bug has been the only reason I've ever had multiball Freeride last the long.

#724 4 years ago

I had a couple firsts tonight. First time getting all three balls in the Supercharger and first time having a ball soar through the back of the playfield into the cabinet. THUNK! I had a good laugh at that. Maybe I should invest in one of these:
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-HS2-01-10903

#740 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

the up down ramp in the back

+2! I had to replace the microswitch on my ramp. Even if the ramp moves up and down during the test, make sure the game knows the position of the ramp.

If the supercharger is slow, but everything physically looks ok and all three magnets are working, you might try new balls. It slows down as balls get magnetized.

3 weeks later
#788 4 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

Hi guys wondering if anyone here can please help me track down any Getaway apron decals? thanx in advance..

Bay Area Amusements used to have them. You might ask them if they're getting any back in stock.

1 month later
#914 4 years ago

^^^ Light up 1, 2, and 3. Right and left side are linked, so a hit on one side counts on both. Those targets are also how you increase your supercharger loops. You can also re-enable it through the Burn Rubber award if you get lucky.

3 weeks later
#970 4 years ago

L-5 only. Goodbye, "RUN THE RED LIGHT".

2 months later
#1158 4 years ago

I finally completed my HS2 tachometer mod! Inspired by HOOKED's Mustang tachometer mod, I designed and built a circuit board that connects a real automotive tachometer and shift light to GETAWAY's playfield tach. The real tachometer displays the same RPM as the playfield tach and the shift light lights up when you hit redline.

Here's a video of it in action:

I've been documenting the entire development (starting over a year ago) in a series of videos that are all listed in this thread:

#1164 4 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Tach looks sweet, but will it rev with the flipper buttons before launching the ball?

Sure does. Shift light comes on too!

#1165 4 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Will you be offering these for sale?

It's probably around 30 hours per mod to populate the board and build the cables. I can't afford the time to offer them pre-built. I think I have enough parts for a few more and I'm thinking about offering those parts as a kit. I'll need to get the parts list together and figure out cost.

#1176 4 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

110 shipped to the lower 48.

Kudos on letting that go at (below?) the original price, especially given how rare they are now. Somebody needs to jump on this quick.

1 week later
#1248 4 years ago

Mine feeds consistently using A-14789 as called out in the manual.

1 week later
#1279 4 years ago

Adjustment A.4 01 allows you to disable high scores. Maybe they've been disabled.

4 months later
2 weeks later
#1802 3 years ago

But the accessory outlet is powered even when the game is OFF, right? Probably don't want your speaker lights lit up all the time. I tapped into the A/C wires immediately after the power switch and wired them to a 12V laptop-like power brick to power my tachometer mod in my Getaway. That way it's only ON when the machine is ON.

I talk about it and show a schematic in my 5th tachometer video at 1:02:36.

2 weeks later
#1848 3 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

Anyone know of a possible source for an original translite? Preferably new.

Not interested in the PPS reproduction?
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPA-31-1357-50004NG&Store_Code=PP

1 week later
#1901 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Haha no pictures. I love puzzles and a good challenge.

That post gave me a mini panic attack.

1 week later
#1956 3 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

anyone have issues where sometimes the ball lock in the wire form lets 2 balls go instead of just one...like in multi player games if someone already has a ball locked, you lock a ball and its supposed to let one go to continue play?

Common problem. Pinball Arcade's simulated table even does it!

The disappearing post is unobtanium, but pull it out, clean it, replace the sleeve, and replace the spring. I haven't had the issue since I did that.

1 year later
#6242 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Also, I noticed the small dark "scratch" you have on top of your stoplight. I have something very similar, and no matter what I try cleaning it with I cannot get rid of the dark coloring. Found it odd that you had something similar.

Ive got one too. In the exact same place.

6 months later
#7182 1 year ago

Does anybody have any side-by-side comparison photos of the CPR Getaway backglass? I’d like to see how the colors look vs the original.

1 week later
#7240 1 year ago
Quoted from whitey:

...picked up my first Getaway now it's time to tear it apart.

I love that. That’s my first thought when I get a pin. It’s a rare hobby where you say, “I got my new xyz—can’t wait to tear it apart!”

1 month later
#7486 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

What I would say to this is that just about everyone who has posted that actually bought one loves it, but there are several negative opinions from those who have not bought it and have only seen photos. May be one of those things where 1) photos just don't do it justice but the real experience is great and/or 2) those who have spent $$$ are predispositioned to not dislike it. Personally, I don't have one and my translate is in good condition. If I did need a new one, I would trust the opinions of my fellow Getaway owners that own the backglass, and buy one for myself.

I bought the CPR EATPM glass and did not like it. The colors look fine when the machine is on, but, compared to the translight, they're washed out when the machine is off. The EATPM glass is in a box and my original translight is installed.

I bought the CPR Getaway glass and I DO like it. The colors look much richer than the original translight when the machine is off. It looks good when the machine is on too. I have the Getaway backglass installed.

1 month later
#7936 1 year ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Question for the upper flipper...
I read somewhere that the upper flipper configuration on Getaway does not have a two stage flipper switch but mine does. Is this correct?

If I remember correctly, staged flippers were added in L5. They aren’t in L2.

2 weeks later
#8049 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Is there a step by step process on how to diagnose a slow supercharger?

Have you tried new balls? My Getaway magnetizes balls after a while and they start to slow down in the supercharger.

2 months later
#8232 1 year ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

There was a guy who made a tach for his HS2.

Here I am!

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I'm not sure what he would need to sell these for to be worth his time.

Yeah. It was about $400 just for the parts, plus a few days of labor to assemble a board and the wiring for it. Even at a high price, I don’t have the time to build them. Also one of the chips that I used went out-of-production a couple years ago. I couldn’t build that design again even if I wanted to.

I wish I could get it out there, but it’s just not feasible with the current design.

5 months later
#8889 9 months ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

Hi everyone,
During gameplay, the ramp lift is always getting up and down, looks like it's searching for the right position

Maybe the right orbit switch is reading false closures during play? That would cause the ramp to lift.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Jose, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kyle5574.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside