• L3 11 votes
    3%
  • L5 120 votes
    34%
  • P7 9 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    2%

(Multiple choice - 348 votes by 346 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shooter repair4 (resized).jpg
shooter repair3 (resized).jpg
Shooter repair2a (resized).png
Shooter repair1 (resized).jpg
Disappearing post fix4 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix3 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix2 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix1 (resized).jpeg
HSIIclear (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Shooter rod (resized).jpg
DSC06633 (resized).JPG
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
PXL_20240408_220306294 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240408_220311370 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gunstarhero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6585 6 years ago

WOW. ULTIMATE BALL TRAIL.

Clean that stuff off and get ready to watch the ball FLY.

#6587 6 years ago

I would bet you're right!

Just order new ones from wherever you usually get parts.

#6604 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Just dont bother with the "ultra cool" "ultra shiny" balls. Get the ordinary pinballs for the best price and just change them once every year or so or when they start to look a little rough. I dont care what anyone says, anything more than that is money wasted.

That's what I was saying. If they're shiny and clean they're good.

#6621 6 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

Cleaned the years of ball trails off the supercharger metals and polished them up. Fixed my issue of the ball not making the loop and plopping out. Ball is blazing fast now through the supercharger.

I knew that would do the trick!!

#6623 6 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Here's a good sign.

Bwahahahaha!!

I love it when you see a HUMP sign but there is a B label over the H. I always think "I know what you REALLY say!"

7 months later
#7501 6 years ago

Mid run change... Probably the 11630 couldn't quite make the long shot around the back and up the ramp as consistently as the 11629.

#7508 6 years ago

Joining the chase this weekend... pretty stoked, have wanted to GETAWAY for years!

1 week later
#7559 6 years ago

Got my Getaway last night and tore down the topside today... PF is pretty nice but my plastics are looking kinda rough... bad yellowing, some warps and a couple breaks. Anyone have an extra plastics set they'd part with?

1 week later
#7578 6 years ago

Making good progress on my Getaway!

Got some plastics lined up, big thanks to everyone who sent suggestions. I went with a used selection from the marketplace.

Still looking for a translite (decent used is great, I have a janky repro now) and a A-12688L, which is the rollover switch for the left rear lane. Anyone got either of these they can part with?

#7579 6 years ago

Found the switch at TPR. Still looking for a translite!

#7581 6 years ago

That would be awesome, please let me know how it works out!

#7629 6 years ago

Decal suggestion... how about a “no logo” version?

Also while you’re in the decal biz, one to cover the metal plate between the targets and the pop bumper would be pretty brilliant.

#7637 6 years ago

Wow tiltmaster, that thing is INSANE!

How do you like the backglass? Looks great in the pix but I’d sure like to see one in person. I love the idea of a backglass but it might be a little overkill for my game... for now anyways.

How’s your old translite? Any interest in sending it to a new home? I have a pretty sketchy repro right now.

That lit speaker panel looks awesome.

1 week later
#7651 6 years ago

Still hoping to find a new plastics set while I get the last few bits together for this playfield... should have grabbed the one from the marketplace! Any more leads?

#7654 6 years ago

Well my originals look like crap and had a few busted so I bought a lot of used plastics to replace the busted ones and they actually look even worse.

SO...if you decide to sell please let me know!

#7661 6 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I’m looking for this turbo boost plastic. Does anyone have one in good shape that they would like to sell?

I have a spare, unbroken but “yellowed” and pretty dinged up:

E3667270-694F-439C-BE78-D5D1D395CFCF (resized).jpegE3667270-694F-439C-BE78-D5D1D395CFCF (resized).jpeg

Hit me up if you want it and it’s yours.

#7679 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi Gunstar hero
shoot me a pm with your email address so I can send pics of my translite for sale its pretty nice with a couple of small marks near the chopper.. Shipping is about $30 us from Aust though to the US.
I am also selling plastics, some used some new repros, and the full beacon light assy and boards if anyone is interested.
Maybe other bits as well now my restore is done.

Sent.

#7699 6 years ago

920641EC-7EAB-4252-A1C0-DC71116D2C0A (resized).jpeg920641EC-7EAB-4252-A1C0-DC71116D2C0A (resized).jpeg

Topside done!

Not bad for a sketchy players game!!

#7746 6 years ago

Any tips on bulletproofing the up/down ramp? When i got the game it had a ramp error, and was doing the thing where it just goes up and down over and over... so I fiddled with it, and got it working (yas!) but last night it came back. Works pretty much spot on in test. Went in, bent the switch actuator down a bit, seems fine again? My first instinct is replace the micro switch of course, but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t seem 100%... any thoughts?

#7747 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Aussie model traffic light in and running!

That looks great!

What the heck is with the giant yellow traffic light anyways? I’ve never seen one that looks like that.

#7770 6 years ago

I’m sure it looks better than new, but wooo, for $165 and it still being the flimsy stock part underneath I don’t know.

#7829 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I’m second guessing restoring my HS2. I have a repro playfield and a cpr plastic set that I’m considering trading toward a game instead.
Will trade for anything on my wishlist and possibly more.

Might be interested in your plastics. PM me if you want to work a deal!

#7861 5 years ago

Well, my supercharger has taken a dump. Game started up with a credit dot, and supercharger no workie. Popped the PF, reseated connectors, gave it a try. Worked in test, and worked once in game but after that nothing. I’m looking straight at those supercharger boards under the PF... anyplace else I should be looking?

#7865 5 years ago

Will do. Assuming the fuse is good since it was working intermittently.

Accelerator board is FILTHY and has what looks to be some corrosion so this is gonna be fun.

#7872 5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions and directions, I’ll dive in tomorrow and see what I can see.

#7877 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Well, my supercharger has taken a dump.

Reflowed the pins and it seems to be fine again, let’s see how long it lasts. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

#7880 5 years ago

Pretty sure Planetary Pinball has those same decals listed for $225.

#7883 5 years ago

C347DAE5-1127-4B63-96CC-531A74127982 (resized).jpegC347DAE5-1127-4B63-96CC-531A74127982 (resized).jpeg
Thanks @Jakusu!

#7913 5 years ago

That’s what it seems like. You rarely see a Johnny Mnemonic where the red hasn’t faded to yellow, or a TZ where the reddish sunset hasn’t become a sickly pale, but games like Creature and Addams seem to keep their color pretty well.

#7917 5 years ago

It would be cool if someone did custom art for the Getaway cab, gotta admit even in good shape it’s not a beauty.

I’m a little shocked the “white” lines were originally red!! That’s unbelievable fade.

#7923 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

That first picture made it look worse than it actually is. However it’s still past the point of needing decals

Mine is basically the same.

#7925 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I’m really leaning towards buying a fresh new cabinet from virtuapin and swapping everything over to it. I think it would be much easier (for me)than to try and refurbish this one over the course of several weeks and then reinstall everything.

That will be cool.

I just keep telling myself you don’t play the cab... I did do a little touch up and will do a little more but besides that it is probably what it’s gonna be.

#7964 5 years ago

ColorDMD all day. Pinsound is cool for sure, but ColorDMD just really makes it happen.

#7969 5 years ago

They’re both great, depending on your tastes. I like the LED for the stock fit and the colors pop, but the LCD has smoothing options and some people prefer it’s color shading abilities over the LEDs boldness... I own some of both, but since I don’t go for the smoothing modes that’s kinda lost on me!

#7976 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Also, I highly suggest either making your own or buying from me a plastic replacement piece instead of the metal cover. I create mine out of Lexan and this way the light behind the targets shines up through it.

How does the plastic there hold up? I made myself one but was afraid that between the target bank beneath and the Supercharger support that it wouldn’t stand a chance so I kept the metal piece under it.

F9EEFCA3-538C-4650-90CB-1A97197C6534 (resized).jpegF9EEFCA3-538C-4650-90CB-1A97197C6534 (resized).jpeg

#8001 5 years ago

Hmm. I’ve never noticed ghosting on any of my LED games (WCS94, Judge Dredd and Stern Star Trek) and Dredd even has a similar video mode called Pursuit with a car weaving around on a street with a dark background, so I don’t think you have anything to be worried about.

#8016 5 years ago

Is it normal for the rear ramp to kind of “kip up” (when it’s already in the up position) when you shoot an orbit or launch a ball?

#8021 5 years ago

I feel like I might be missing something... aluminum sleeve? Please elaborate.

Ball isn’t hitting it, it clears, but it’s like it pops up a little extra. It doesn’t feel like it’s all the way up but it has clearance.

I’m replacing the switch but it seems like I might have another issue going on.

#8039 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Is there a step by step process on how to diagnose a slow supercharger? The diverter is working fine and has no play in it. The optos seem to be registering.
I’ve done all I know how to do through the test modes. It requires 2 coils enabled to send a ball around. The speed with all 3 enabled is 130-140. I tried sending 3 balls into it this weekend and it failed miserably.
Should I try throwing new parts at it? Or checking voltages?

Check the pins on your accelerator board. Might need to be reflowed.

#8041 5 years ago

Look for cracks in the solder around the pins.

#8046 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Just took a quick glance at it and the only things I noticed were a couple of black spots on a plug near some diodes. Of course I have no idea what I’m looking at.

That black mark just looks like a dirt smudge or something. Burned pins and connectors usually look more browned. You’d need to remove the connectors and pull the board out to examine the pins.

#8052 5 years ago

Does anyone know if you can get the little brass bushing from the rear ramp locks magnet core anyplace? Mines really mangled and while it might not be the issue I’m running out of reasons for my lift ramp not to work. I’m down to that bushing and possibly an incorrect spring.

#8053 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Does anyone know if you can get the little brass bushing from the rear ramp locks magnet core anyplace? Mines really mangled and while it might not be the issue I’m running out of reasons for my lift ramp not to work. I’m down to that bushing and possibly an incorrect spring.

Never mind, found it at Marco.

#8059 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

As far as wiring goes, here's what I got.
Beacon motor (or Mars Lamp if you go by Williams).

to board

To triac board

To power on driver board

To low voltage signal on driver board.

If its just not spinning maybe the motor is shot. Try manually moving it.

Thank you for this post! I know it’s a few years old but it helped me diagnose my mars light issue and now it WORKS!!

1 week later
#8086 5 years ago

I have my LCD running DOTXL in Getaway right now, looks great. I don’t use the HIRES mode tho, so on the rest of my games I have LED and they all loom great too.

#8097 5 years ago

They’re really not THAT different. If you want to run smoothing modes like 8 bit or Hi Res, get the LCD. It also will run in a dots mode too, so you don’t really lose anything. Some poeple feel that the LCD has a smoother color transfer, although as the original display was just like what, 6 shades, I’ve never really noticed.

If you want a stock dot look, but in color, go LED. The LED has a boldness than the LCD just doesn’t, some people love it, some say it’s harsh. It is adjustable tho.

The animations aren’t smoother on one or the other, it’s all just how the graphics look.

I usually get LED because to me it feels more in tune with the original display, but in color. However I have my “roaming” LCD display in Getaway now (on Dot XL) and it looks just fine.

Usually if you just can’t decide I say get an LCD because at least then you get all the options.

#8103 5 years ago

Wow I gotta admit it looks better than most. Might need to set mine for Hi Res!

#8131 5 years ago

Rottendog boards have been fine for me. You could also just go color DMD.

#8135 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

No, you actually unplug the high voltage pin because you don't need it on the ColorDMD, well at least that's the case for the LCD model.

Right, both LED and LCD run off the 5v from J116 on the power board, and the power from the DMD board is unused.

#8139 5 years ago

You won’t go wrong either way, but if you’re torn, get the LCD. It will do dots and the various smoothing modes, and Getaway actually looks really good in HiRes.

3 weeks later
#8181 5 years ago

Probably loose or flaky optos in the supercharger.

#8192 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

PSA - CPR has Getaway plastics in stock again...

Of course they do, as soon as I piecemealed a quasi-decent set together with used plastics and novus.

#8195 5 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

I'm sure the colors in the new Getaway sets are the same and as bad as the last run.

Maybe they’re better now that they’re using the digital printing?

1 week later
#8222 5 years ago

Check the supercharger entrance optos. I bet they’re intermittent. Maybe a good cleaning will help but I bet it’s time to replace them.

1 week later
#8260 5 years ago

Maybe getting a bounce back? Is the wire gate intact?

#8264 5 years ago

Does it happen a lot to you? I think I’ve only had it happen once... and I just power cycled. It hurt to throw away a decent game but thems the breaks.

#8277 5 years ago

It’s not much more to just replace the whole board. Although I guess that’s a nice solution in a pinch.

#8289 5 years ago

More Getaway trouble... started a game this morning and the Supercharger wasn’t working. Diverter works in test but all opto switches on the Supercharger are dead. Reseated all the connectors on the Supercharger board under the PF and restarted and now getting a check fuses 114 and 115 error. Huh. Fuses test good. Game still boots and plays a game and Supercharger still doesn’t work. Tried disconnecting the Supercharger and rebooting again and no change, check 114 and 115, game will still start and play.

Game has a new cpu board and a recently serviced driver board. Seems like all the usual LEDs are lit.

Any ideas?

Little update: had a broken wire at J212 causing switch 24 always closed to be open, that seems to have fixed the check 114 and 115 message. Supercharger still not working, also noticed the left bank of white targets 86 - 88 are also non responsive.

Another update: That J212 connector is a wreck, gonna replace it totally and see if that solves any issues.

#8291 5 years ago

Okay more weirdness:

Managed to piece J212 back together. That seemed to solve the switch 24 issue. Started chasing the issue with all the supercharger optos and the l bank targets. As I was going through a switch test I heard a boop and all the optos came on. Started testing them and they work. Started testing the l bank and one triggers as opto 1 and the optos all go out again. A couple seconds later they come back on. Mash the l bank for awhile and try to recreate the error and nothing. Okay well, that’s odd.

Start a game to test the supercharger with a ball... and no sound at all. No music, no effects, and no test tones when you exit the game.

Tested fuses on the sound board, reseated all connectors and ribbon cables, no change.

What in the world is going on here? This is a game that was working fine until yesterday?!?

#8293 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Could still be a ribbon cable issue perhaps?? Going off what you've mentioned so far it sure seems erratic and not something specific like a fuse, etc.
I'm not 100% positive but i think JD has the same set of ribbon cables? swapping the set from another working machine would at least rule the cables out i guess.

Hmm, good thinking. I just flip flopped the board into my CFTBL and it worked so it's probably not the board.

#8295 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

For the Supercharger; have you checked the accelerator board under the playfield to be sure all pins and connectors are good?
I suppose the sound issue could be related to the ribbon cable...

Supercharger is (currently) working. I've checked the boards underneath and reflowed all connections. I think the issue is somewhere on the green-grey line, maybe a bad diode or a flaky solder...

As for the sound, swapped in a known good ribbon cable, and swapped the possibly bad one into another game and no change. The "bad" one works and the "good" one doesn't change anything.

Can anyone tell me how to test for power at the sound board?

#8309 5 years ago

Mine was broken when I got it, I just cut the legs off and sanded down the bottom edge and just attached the sign straight to the ramp, and I actually think it looks better:

098 (resized).JPG098 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#8340 5 years ago

My understanding is the leading reason Getaway is so dirty is metal on metal wear from the Supercharger. I doubt your rubber choice has a lot to do with it.

#8342 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

More like... 'getaway has areas not easily reached, so people don't clean them... like the supercharger'
Get rid of the black rubber and actually clean inside the supercharger and trough as well as the usual open PF and it shouldn't be any worse than any other game.

It's no harder to clean/clean under the Supercharger than under/around other fixtures on similar pins. Remove a few screws and lift up.

Even after an extensive shop on both I'm seeing much more dirt on posts and trails in Getaway than the Creature I shopped immediately before. I used the same cleaning materials and same type of rubbers... Getaway is just a dirty girl, lol.

#8344 5 years ago

Well, maybe it’s just me but I didn’t think it was that tough... although I’ll accept the caveat of as long as you have the slide out playfield.

#8402 5 years ago

I know on a lot of the early DMD games its kind of overkill but Color DMD looks really good in Getaway for some reason.

#8414 5 years ago

I’m pretty sure that’s just Getaway being Getaway, it really punishes inaccuracy with some amazingly frustrating rattlers. Your flipper and post setup looks correct to me, how’s your level and angle?

#8432 5 years ago

That looks pretty slick!

#8471 5 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

So Donut Heaven... When I got my machine it was already installed. I’m not sure that I like it. It blocks the locked balls so you can’t see them and I think I’d prefer to have it back to stock. Has anyone here regretted installing this mod? I like the mountains and the tunnel. I also have PinSound and ColorDMD installed and I upgraded the lighting to incandescent bulbs. No disrespect to the mod makers intended. All mods aren’t for all people.

I like it, but I admit I kinda saw it different in my head. Somehow I thought you'd see the balls in the windows... although they clearly lock UNDER the building.

You don't really see them stock either with that metal plate there IIRC.

2 weeks later
#8531 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

First I am hearing of this. What is different about them from the HS ones?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7444-541

Pretty sure the screw placement is different.

1 week later
#8603 5 years ago

Huh! That's kinda cool!

2 weeks later
#8687 5 years ago

Probably to help hold it together. I’ve seen similar on other games.

#8708 5 years ago
Quoted from OlliG:I was asking me the same question?
My door looks the same!

Yeah you guys have the Euro style coin door, although even the US ones look like that just without the center slot. They're using a later style coin door on their games.

1 month later
#8856 5 years ago

There was some GI removed when they went to the play field sliders from the hinge. Worth it I’d say.

2 weeks later
#8906 5 years ago

Looks like you actually have 3 different flippers there, a Williams white, Williams yellow and a no logo white.

Clean em up, spray paint em and move that no logo one to the upper flipper and no one will probably ever notice!

#8910 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Complete nonsense. Do it right or don't do it at all. Yes it's judgement.

Lol, I wasn't exactly being serious.

2 weeks later
#8952 5 years ago

On my last container game (Creature) I just sprung for the full new assemblies and bats and let me tell ya, it was worth it to toss out all that old junk and start over with fresh new parts. Plus I’ll admit, they’re the newest, snappiest flippers that I’ve flipped on a game of that era, so that’s nice too.

#8954 5 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I have the coils so basically only using the plate so it should be almost 100% new.

Who knows dude. Maybe the plates warp? I dunno why, but man that Creature flips nice.

I did a more traditional rebuild on my Getaway flippers (pawl, sleeve, stop, springs and EOS) with new bats, and they're good and strong, but not as good or as strong. Bushings looked fine but I didn't replace them so that might be a thing too.

Anyways, it's certainly cheaper just to do a rebuild so that's a plus. You can get the assemblies at PBL without the coils IIRC, that saves you a few bucks. My coils were looking real sketch tho.

#8957 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The most overlooked part of rebuilds... the side to side slop kills so much flipper power...

Exactly. I replace them every shop job on my games now, but with Getaway I got caught flat footed and had to make a call. I cleaned and inspected and they looked fine but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the difference maker.

1 week later
#9034 5 years ago

Dispatch, this is 504. I've sold my Getaway and am out of the club, over.

#9036 5 years ago

Damn they’re shooting at us!

I’ll still follow this group tho, you guys are one of the best. Always tons of great tips and interactions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 20.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gunstarhero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin?tu=gunstarhero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.