• L3 10 votes
    3%
  • L5 104 votes
    35%
  • P7 9 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    2%

(Multiple choice - 299 votes by 298 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,381 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fbf8ffd931e7d7bbbccf11ac5390f20fa2bce057 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image1 (1) (resized).jpeg
1F56CA9B-A56E-4C5B-9DD0-6E5E186DAABF (resized).jpeg
6A9EB738-0D68-4F14-9BD3-9C77FD877022 (resized).jpeg
978218D9-816A-41E7-BA30-D90A067BD3B0 (resized).jpeg
hinge (resized).jpg
IMG_3693 (resized).jpg
IMG_3694 (resized).jpg
IMG_3695 (resized).jpg
IMG_6318 (resized).jpg
IMG_3689 (resized).jpg
IMG_3687 (resized).jpg
16096465379487373282466167829585 (resized).jpg
16096465204014101429459805757836 (resized).jpg
left return frame (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexRogan84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10826 77 days ago

Well... I got my Holy Grail pin on Wednesday. A really nice Getaway. Soooo many memories of playing this as a kid. Love this game.

I bought it from fellow Pinside member here PinballJAH (Jim). He took really good care of it and really, really went out of his way to make sure I was taken care of too. Wrapped it all up super well so that when I got to his place to pick it up, it was ready to go. The machine has a PIN2DMD colour display, Flipper Fidelity speakers up top, pretty much perfect backglass, tons of little cool decals in places around the playfield, good quality bright LED's everywhere, a toy car up on the side along with a Donut Heaven mod.

The game plays as it should. A couple little things I'm working on. The right slingshot plunger had the little plastic linkage break off, so a new one of those will go in. I'll freshen up all three flippers with the standard rebuild kit as well.

There is one issue I wanted to ask the group though. A portion of the shifter assembly needs attention. It was working ok, and still does (electrically), but the little plastic/rubber shift boot (shoulder) thingy that slides over the shaft of the shifter and is what the shaft pivots on has one side crumbled away. I took some pics after I got it apart.

You can see how this part, which isn't hard plastic, but isn't soft rubber either (almost like the material they make hockey pucks out of?... hey, I'm Canadian, where do you expect my comparisons to come from??? lol). The little round extensions on each side are meant to exactly fit in the corresponding holes on the sides of the metal bracket, and then once it's all tightened back together, when you pull up or push down on the shifter handle, the opposite end of the shaft clicks the upper or lower switch.

It won't do this if it can't pivot. The DMD said Shifter Error initially, as I think when it starts up, if one of those switches is closed, it knows something is wrong.

So, two questions:

- Does anyone offer replacements for this little part?

- Has anyone MacGyver'ed a solution of their own to fix what is there without replacing everything?

I am thinking it could be any number of ideas that basically just allow it to pivot again. That collar thing just slides on, and I could drill a small hole through the broken side so that a washer or bolt or portion of a coil sleeve maybe could go in it's place. Just wondering what you all think?

IMG_2376 (resized).JPGIMG_2389 (resized).JPGIMG_2390 (resized).JPGIMG_2391 (resized).JPGIMG_2392 (resized).JPG
#10831 76 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Glad you are enjoying the game. I have never seen a shifter error before. You definitely have a knack for pinballs, having already taken this assembly apart. Most if not all of the decals came from Mr_Tantrum, if you want to add anymore. He has a lot to choose from including an updated stop light and a real mountain mod. Sorry to see this game go from my collection.

Thanks Jim. Might be that 13 years of experience taking apart the DeLorean. Pinballs are a joy to work on compared to some of the old car stuff, lying on cold concrete out in the garage with a 3,000 pound oily car a few inches over your head. I can sit comfortably at my dining room table and take apart Getaway shifter assemblies all day long!!! haha

2 weeks later
#10863 57 days ago

Can someone humor me as to the part number for the little rubber bulb "condoms" like the two on the supercharger ramp entrance? Nothing comes up in a search on the Marco parts page for bulb condom. Go figure!? lol I'd like to replace the yellow one as it's missing on my machine.

29 (resized).jpg
#10865 57 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Get rid of them and just put in colored LEDs (they originally were used to change the light color). I've gone white domes previously, but now I have clear faceted domed ones and like them best (red and amber).
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/faceted-bulbs
[quoted image]

I did find them ironically. Lamp covers they go by. I found about 20 of them rolling around in the bottom of my Lethal Weapon 3 when I first got it.

Hadn't realized that's how they made the colour differences originally. Guess I never thought about it. On the Party Zone, there is an all red effect with one of the GI strings. For multiball and the "Big Bang" jackpot... would that red effect been also done by these rubber bulb covers back in the day? I am meaning to replace all those GI lights with LEDs and wondered which ones should be which colour. Might end up finding more of these rubber covers once I go in there.

2 weeks later
#10867 42 days ago

I'm troubleshooting an intermittent beacon light and need some help. The light bulb itself always comes on, but the motor making the disc spin doesn't always come to life. Inevitably, if I reach up and tap firmly to the side of the light on top of the backbox, it starts rotating. Kind of seems to me like it's caught on something.

I've taken it off and looked and it doesn't seem to be catching on anything obvious. There's decent clearance all the way around. No obvious loose wires or connectors inside the cabinet going to the boards up top either.

I see on the Marco website that you can buy a replacement, heavy duty upgraded motor. Here: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7971

You can see though how it says it might not be your motor and to check these other things. The one that caught my eye is where it says the "o-ring belt may be too tight."

What are they talking about with this? Is there a belt inside the motor? I have not taken my motor apart. Anyone have pics of the inside of a motor or can tell me what this o-ring belt reference means?

Thanks.

#10869 42 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

F-14 has 3 beacons with 2 o-rings use as belts. If the o-rings are too small the motor isn't strong enough to turn the reflectors. On your game there is no o-rings, the reflector is mounted directly to the motor shaft. So either the motor is dieing or the grease inside the housing is dried up and isn't lubricating the gears any more. I have taken this type of motor/gearbox apart and cleaned out the old grease and replaced it with new grease.

Awesome. Thank you very much. Good explanation. And simple too. I'll definitely open up the motor I have and see what the condition of the grease is. Cheers.

#10878 41 days ago

I've been working on my flippers a little bit. I have done the flipper rebuild kits on all three. I still feel like the lower right flipper is a bit weak, especially as it gets right out to the tip of the flipper. I think it might be an adjustment of some kind needed on the EOS switches, but not really sure. I also think there's too much slop in the bushing on the right side, but I don't know how or what to adjust that out. These were new bushings too with the rebuild kits.

The flipper buttons are also a little suspect. I have new ones coming, but the ones in there don't have much of a spring out resistance, and I like feeling that on the buttons. This is usually from the internal spring in the button or from the tip of the button plunger resting on the top of the leaf spring metal tab. The thing is though, with the Getaway, it seems like there isn't enough room on that right flipper leaf switch to move things around or in and out because the stacked base of the switch is right snug up with the bracket on the shifter.

You guys have this scenario on your machines too? Where the leaf switch is wedged in there under that angled top bracket part of the shifter mechanism? This is I guess necessary because the right switch has the dual acting blades for the top flipper. I think that's what is going on there anyway.

Here's a pic of what I mean. Early pic when I got the game. A few things have changed, but that geometry is still the same for the switch base and the shifter bracket.

IMG_2357 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#10894 21 days ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

lol, to me it's luck... just run through the EB when it appears, if you can. I'm usually trying to make it to the end of the timer for the points.

I had a way of getting this EB to pop-up fairly consistently once upon a time. I used to do it by hugging one side or the other. Like go to the left and keep pressing the left button while you're there. It seemed like that was daring the logic to throw the EB sign up on the far side. And it often would. You would need to dart over and get it (by driving through it, as mentioned). I only ever did this in the lowest gear... meaning, I never changed gears and so the car moved much slower. If you get to the end of the race, you're only looking at about 12 mil, but if you get the extra ball along with that, it's well worth it.

#10896 21 days ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Going to try this ...
Thanks to all for the replies
HNY

I tried it right after I posted that and it didn't work. It might need a longer video mode drive time than the default as it felt like it used to come towards the end of the run. Can't remember what the default is, like 14 seconds or something. It might need to go out to 20. I'll try it a few more times and see if I can get it to happen.

Otherwise, I bet I have played 300 games in the one month I've had my Getaway and I don't recall seeing the EB in video mode a single time. Might also be related to the EB percentage it's set to in settings or it could possibly be related to which version of the code the game is running. My machine is on L2.

1 week later
#10921 12 days ago

The shifter looks complete also. Nothing obvious missing in that photo.

1 week later
#10951 4 hours ago
Quoted from THJM:

This pic is taken from around page 133 or so. The metal L-shaped piece to the right of the supercharger (the one with the caution sticker put on), is this a standard part? I don't have it on my machine.
Thanks.[quoted image]

Quoted from EStroh:

Yes, standard part. Is meant to keep the ball from leaving the playfield. Same thing with the one over the hairpin turn on the left side.
Odds are though, the ball will never hop out of the superchager and hit this piece. I wouldn't sweat it if it's in a home use environment.

You can still buy this bracket, part number 01-10904: https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=01-10904

It is mentioned under service bulletin 43 included on pages 16 and 17 of this 38 page PDF file: http://howtopinball.com/files/pinball/paperwork/williams/service-bulletins/williams-service-bulletin-book-1992-fall.pdf

(Originally found on the PinWiki page for Williams here: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Service_Bulletins)

You can get that and many more Getaway decals for this bracket and others from Mr. Tantrum, Pinside member:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/129#post-3868238

http://thezumwaltfamily.com/pinball/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
PinSound

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexRogan84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside