• L3 9 votes
    3%
  • L5 97 votes
    35%
  • P7 8 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 279 votes by 278 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,221 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CC6AE388-B7B5-473D-BF37-B1E2CA98EF8C (resized).jpeg
2C5DFA54-A34A-485C-8B42-D9AB99A66292 (resized).jpeg
380949B0-220C-4381-8E85-8634BF3C59AE (resized).jpeg
7A0BC7C9-9305-48DA-9392-446FA50FE2B0 (resized).jpeg
37B66112-0AA6-4BE4-B0C2-F3470DC8C0CE (resized).jpeg
66FEB279-D072-4EBB-99EC-E9DC2580EC08 (resized).jpeg
FD553AF1-DADF-4E6A-81DC-4D1EFD3E2FD6 (resized).png
SC.gif
IMG_3588 (resized).JPG
IMG_3694 (resized).JPG
IMG_3693 (resized).JPG
F16856C5-C39B-49CC-9E75-2E8264AE4405 (resized).jpeg
C722F885-C144-4B84-8B3C-8028A79C5DA7 (resized).jpeg
30A4E3F1-2BB4-42CB-A96D-6ED4ECA54E62 (resized).jpeg
D04D12CB-B206-489E-86EB-2EFC0365499C (resized).jpeg
0E3D8057-CCD3-43BD-B2AC-F4D03B6B0420 (resized).jpeg

There are 10522 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 211.
#4451 3 years ago

Before and after the game locks up:

IMG_8983 (resized).JPG

IMG_8986 (resized).JPG

#4452 3 years ago

Hello Getaway Fans...

I really like the Hurst Style 5-Speed shifter knob. I saw it once, and can't seem to locate it. Can anyone show me a picture of it and where I may be able to purchase it?

Thanks for your help.

Kerry

#4453 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Before and after the game locks up:

Oh man wish I could help. Something must have over heated.

#4454 3 years ago

Try pushing a bit on the big square prodcesor on the CPU, sometimes there is a bad connection.
I have seen many with a tywrap arround that socket.

#4455 3 years ago

That's beyond my skill set Grinder. Maybe Pull the batteries, ( loosing all game memory unfortunately ) pull the plug, let it sit for 10 minutes. And plug in and retry. Merry Christmas

#4456 3 years ago

Merry Christmas, Pinheads!

IMG_0289 (resized).PNG

#4457 3 years ago
Quoted from Buthamburg:

Try pushing a bit on the big square prodcesor on the CPU, sometimes there is a bad connection.
I have seen many with a tywrap arround that socket.

Ok I'll try that.

Quoted from Charger500:That's beyond my skill set Grinder. Maybe Pull the batteries, ( loosing all game memory unfortunately ) pull the plug, let it sit for 10 minutes. And plug in and retry. Merry Christmas

The batteries have been pulled and a NVRAM inserted a while ago. It's worked without error until I moved it a few feet a few days ago.

#4458 3 years ago

I'm still at a loss on what to do. What you moved it did you plug in a different outlet? Restep what you last did to when it worked. Reseat connectors and boards. Go to main forum boards and start asking there in the tech forums.

#4459 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Before and after the game locks up

Try reseating the ribbon cable from the MPU, perhaps check all fuses. Going off the pics the MPU is not booting properly so it could be one of the other boards with an issue that is causing the MPU to not boot up. If you disconnect the ribbon cable from the MPU that connects up with the other boards (NOT including the driver board of course, otherwise MPU is not powered), what happens? Still no boot?

#4460 3 years ago

I mean it usually boots up but around a minute during attract mode, locks up.

I tried reseating damn near every ribbon. Just doesn't make sense what would cause it to go haywire all of a sudden.

And if I can embarrassingly admit, I can't tell a MPU board from the sound board from a hole in the wall.

#4461 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

And if I can embarrassingly admit, I can't tell a MPU board from the sound board from a hole in the wall.

OK MPU board is the bottom left (the main brain of the whole back box). Isolate the MPU board from all the other boards by disconnecting the upper ribbon cable. The VERY short ribbon cable that goes to the lower right board (Driver board) you need to keep connected otherwise, no power, no work What happens?

#4462 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

OK MPU board is the bottom left (the main brain of the whole back box). Isolate the MPU board from all the other boards by disconnecting the upper ribbon cable. The VERY short ribbon cable that goes to the lower right board (Driver board) you need to keep connected otherwise, no power, no work What happens?

Well I have two upper ribbons cables here. Disconnect one or both?

IMG_9007 (resized).JPG

#4463 3 years ago

I disconnected the upper left ribbon and the lights all came on but no DMD. Playfield lights were working for a while until finally locking up.

I then removed both upper ribbons and again eventually the GI locked up.

IMG_9009 (resized).JPG

IMG_9008 (resized).JPG

#4464 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Well I have two upper ribbons cables here. Disconnect one or both?

BOTH. Sorry, i should have mentioned that. Upper left links MPU (or CPU if you like) to the Fliptronics board then to the Audio board and ends at the DMD controller board. Upper right cable goes straight to the DMD controller board. By removing these cables from the MPU board you isolate the MPU from the other boards. If the machine boots up you know that the MPU board is still ok. In this case start adding boards back to the link, so >>> Fliptronics board then if still good >>> then Audio board, etc. Obviously the machine won't work with all boards connected BUT it will give you an idea which board might be causing a problem. It may be that all the boards are fine and one of the ribbon cables has come to the end of it's days too, this does happen, especially if they are the original ribbon cables.

#4465 3 years ago

I'll check all the fuses later today

I would love for it to be something as simple as an old ribbon needing replacement. Does Marco supply an entire ribbon kit for the game? Most if it all of these ribbons are prob original and could use a replacing

#4466 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Disconnect one or both?

Both the see if game boots into attract mode. Let sit for 20 minutes to make sure it doesn't lock up. Then power down and connect one board at a time and retest until you find the board that locks it up.

#4467 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Does Marco supply an entire ribbon kit for the game?

They probably do, can also get a complete set from K's Arcade also. When you say the GI locks up what do you mean? When all the boards were still connected, was the DMD displaying anything?

#4468 3 years ago

Man I wish we could post videos on here. I'll try to load a few videos on YouTube.

With all the ribbons connected the game usually boots up with everything (display and all playfield lights) working but eventually, the display freezes and so do the playfield lights.

#4469 3 years ago

Some YouTube videos

#4470 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

With all the ribbons connected the game usually boots up with everything (display and all playfield lights) working but eventually, the display freezes and so do the playfield lights.

OK, very difficult to say exactly the cause. It could be either the MPU, a ribbon cable (most likely the main one that links most of the boards) and perhaps one of the other boards that is dragging the system down. You can eliminate the DMD itself as the problem, for my money it leans towards the MPU board. It's bloody late here (nearly 4am) and i've had a big day of eating too much and the usual Xmas alcohol cheer so not thinking completely straight.

#4471 3 years ago

Thanks for trying buddy. Here's one last video:

#4472 3 years ago

If I'm seeing this correctly you have a Color DMD so just a few quick things to look at, sorry Christmas day so I'm shot on time...

1. Take off the attract mode.
2. Make sure all connection on the Color DMD are in place and there is a green light showing on the board.

Power down Machine

3. Check the small ribbon cable that goes from your Color DMD to the WPC Dot Matrix High Voltage ( WPC DMHV) board.
4. Make sure J604 in not connected and cannot cause a short by hitting other pins or anything else inside the back box.
5. Check fuses on the WPC DMHV board.
6. Make sure all molex connectors are attached correctly and firmly on WPC DMHV baords.
7. Make sure ribbon cables 601 and 602 are connected correctly on WPC DMHV board.

Power Machine on again

8. This could be an issue with the board, DMD itself or the cables.
9. Marco should have the cables you need.
10. You could test the setup using your old Dot Matrix display and hooking the up J604

Boards starting from Top left to right and then bottom right to left...

WPC89 Fliptronic Board, Sound Board, WPC Dot Matrix High Voltage Board, WPC Power Driver Board and the WPC MPU Board

EDIT: Now that I saw you posted a video, I too doubt it's an issue with the DMD or the DMHV Board so this may take more time than I have ATM, I'll review a bit later, sorry.

Make sure that game rom is in firmly, plug the pin into a different outlet to test but I doubt "dirty electric" would cause that...

inside backbox 4 (resized).jpg
inside backbox 3 (resized).jpg

#4473 3 years ago

BTW: That's not attract mode so that should not be the issue either but thinking about this some more it still could be related the WPC Dot Matrix High Voltage Board and failing parts, having said that... do you have another Rom you could install to see if it's Rom related?

#4474 3 years ago

Thanks so much for everyone's helpful ideas. I plugged it into a different outlet with no change.

Which ribbon set do I need? Are these enough ribbons to replace all the ones connecting all these boards?

IMG_9014 (resized).PNG

#4475 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

BTW: That's not attract mode so that should not be the issue either but thinking about this some more it still could be related the WPC Dot Matrix High Voltage Board and failing parts, having said that... do you have another Rom you could install to see if it's Rom related?

Man it seems like it could be anything! Ugh. No sir, I don't have another Rom.

#4476 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Thanks so much for everyone's helpful ideas. I plugged it into a different outlet with no change.
Which ribbon set do I need? Are these enough ribbons to replace all the ones connecting all these boards?

This one...

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RC1311

#4477 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Man it seems like it could be anything! Ugh. No sir, I don't have another Rom.

Well, I didn't mean to scare you, this is one of those tricky issues to pin point especially when dealing with power issues. My gut tells me it's something to do with failing caps but I really don't know. I have almost all new boards in my Back Box (except for the sound and MPU) and kept the old ones just in case. Caps are known to fail and can cause DMD issues, freezing and power issues but the cables could also cause problems.

I'd be curious to see what happens to your red LED lights on the boards when the pin freezes. Maybe you should watch them or video them when it freezes.

#4478 3 years ago

Ok I ordered them, I'm not in front of my game but I swear there are more than four ribbons connecting all the boards but if this Marco set is all I need, I'll gladly swap all the ribbons and see if it helps.

#4479 3 years ago

Here's a video showing the leds both before and after the game locks up. It's a long video so just scroll to around the 1:30 or 1:40 mark to see it change

#4480 3 years ago

Do you have a low line 90V ? It happend after you moved it?

Merry Christmas to all

#4481 3 years ago

Can any of guys with a light up police car on the pf tell me what it's connected to? Mine came with a car already installed and it's tapped into the beacon wiring. The problem is when the beacon lights up, only a few lights on the roof of the car light up and stay on steady. I disconnected the car and touched the wires to a 9v battery and all the lights were flashing fine, so I'm guessing that's not the place for it to be connected.

Thanks!

#4482 3 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Can any of guys with a light up police car on the pf tell me what it's connected to? Mine came with a car already installed and it's tapped into the beacon wiring. The problem is when the beacon lights up, only a few lights on the roof of the car light up and stay on steady. I disconnected the car and touched the wires to a 9v battery and all the lights were flashing fine, so I'm guessing that's not the place for it to be connected.
Thanks!

I believe the beacon is on a 12 volt circuit.

#4483 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Here's a video showing the leds both before and after the game locks up. It's a long video so just scroll to around the 1:30 or 1:40 mark to see it change
ยป YouTube video

Dang, can you take a video of the full back box... with all the boards. I'm not sure where this will go but every little bit of info will help. At some point, if this gets to complex, posting on the tech section may be more helpful.

#4484 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

After looking at this vid i'm still on the MPU or Ribbon Cable train. It could be a failing cap issue BUT if the power dropped you would have nothing going on at all. When your machine is freezing there is still LED's lit here and there on the play field and also D20 goes off and D21 stays lit. Upon turn on the 3 LED'S behave normally and there is no sound board error code beeps. If you have already booted the machine with the MPU board isolated from all the other boards except the driver board and the same thing is still occurring it must be either something failing on the MPU or a power issue from the Driver board (possibility of a problem with the short ribbon cable connecting these two). I'm not sure what happens when the square Asic chip fails, not had one go on my machines but i doubt it's the game rom chip.

#4485 3 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

I believe the beacon is on a 12 volt circuit.

Thanks, but I was wondering where is it connected to? The beacon, supercharger flasher, or some other 12v source?

#4486 3 years ago

Have you tried turning off the dimming GI? You jacked up the voltage with all the LEDs. Try turning it off it wont hurt. Probably going to need a LED ocd board

#4487 3 years ago

20161225_213700 (resized).jpg

#4488 3 years ago

It looks like your losing power to the CPU board, I would remove the CPU board and check the header pins of J-210 for cracked solder joints as it maybe losing power as the board heats up.

#4489 3 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone! Jayden LOVED the pinball and he was starting to get the hang of it, as far as shooting the red orbits to advance the RPMS and get into another gear ... also shoot the supercharger ramp when yellow ... he really likes seeing that pinball whip through the turbo charger loops!

#4490 3 years ago

I have a lot of video on my regulation camcorder and many pics on my regular camera. Here is one pic from my phone.

20161225_204229 (resized).jpg

#4491 3 years ago

Look at the size of that smile. Priceless!

#4492 3 years ago

I bought our 1st pinball game "Funhouse" in 94', as our only Christmas present, for my 3 boys (8 & twins at 6).

We still have the game and many others. It's a great hobby for the whole family.

Congrats on your Getaway... you & your grandson will enjoy it tremendously!

#4493 3 years ago

Ok bud, I'll try that.

Quoted from GRUMPY:It looks like your losing power to the CPU board, I would remove the CPU board and check the header pins of J-210 for cracked solder joints as it maybe losing power as the board heats up.

Ok thanks for the suggestion. Maybe my tech bud can help me check the header pins.

#4494 3 years ago

Thanks guys ... seeing his smile was priceless and when playing the pin and hitting the ramps, he was so excited ... that right there was my Christmas present!

#4495 3 years ago

One more pic ...

15747586_10207308711308306_8688814416416955134_n (resized).jpg

#4496 3 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

One more pic ...

Looks like a natural. Before you know or he'll have all the high score spots filled with his initials.

#4497 3 years ago

Hey guys I need some BIG help finding a part. I'm looking for the nylon tip that goes into the end of the shifter lever. Mine grew legs and is now hiding. The manual only gives the entire part number 20-9710 with no breakdown. I've searched Marco and PBL with no success.

IMGA0877[1] (resized).JPG

#4498 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey guys I need some BIG help finding a part. I'm looking for the nylon tip that goes into the end of the shifter lever. Mine grew legs and is now hiding. The manual only gives the entire part number 20-9710 with no breakdown. I've searched Marco and PBL with no success.

Have you still got the spring that sits behind it MP? the nylon part wouldn't be hard to copy i would think. I've got my shifter off my machine at the moment so i'll have a suss of the nylon part and see if i can possibly find an alternative Errrmmm hope you're not in a hurry

#4499 3 years ago

Hey Paul now that's a stroke of luck you having yours apart. Yes I still have the spring inside, it won't come out. What's a suss? If I had the width and length of that piece I could probably make one once I find the nylon rod. Can you get me that info. Thanks

#4500 3 years ago

Aussie slang for "check it out" I'll have a measure of it a bit later and get back you. Cleaning the cave at the moment for the new years eve pin and pool comp party

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 10522 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 211.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside