• L3 11 votes
    3%
  • L5 120 votes
    34%
  • P7 9 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    2%

(Multiple choice - 348 votes by 346 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4875 (resized).jpeg
get2 (resized).jpg
get3 (resized).jpg
get1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4154 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_la_canyons_15-4-120-14-24-33 (resized).jpg
IMG_4302 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
media-pinball-display-mounting-bracket (resized).jpg
IMG_7017 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7018 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

2,365 posts in this topic match your search for posts by mr_tantrum. You are on page 8 of 10.
#9987 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks! Very helpful.

FYI, since I posted this I've changed my mind about a few things. For insert bulbs I've moved to the 4 SMD no dome non-ghosting bulbs. I typically color match some inserts (natural white for clear, red for red, blue for blue, green for green, etc.) For yellow inserts I use natural white and for orange inserts I use warm white.

I also swapped flashers out with the 13 SMD versions (and changed some of the colors) as I want to be visually jolted when they fire. Not everyone likes this, so if you prefer more subtle flashing you'll want to go with something like their 8 or 5 SMD towers.

#9995 4 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

For those of you with Pinsound on your HS2:
I created 5 sound packages, two of which are posted for download here:
https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/wpc-alpha-dmd/getaway/
For both:
I loaded 15 different lambo "drive by" sounds to the inlanes (because I really didn't like the beeping "car horn" sound)
I changed the "shift gears" tone to the sound of a lambo's engine winding up - needing to be shifted. The vocal cue "Shift Gears" is still present.
I filtered the police radio voices in Mr_Tantrums custom callout files so that they sound more like they are coming through a police radio (in by opinion). This was done with permission from Mr_Tantrum.
I changed the after-ball bonus multiplier sounds to different lambo engine sounds.
Music for "Outrun" is all new. Call it "up tempo" or "club" or "house" I suppose. I'm not wild about having lyrics in the music, so this fits my requirement. You won't recognize any of the music.
Music for "Speed" is also all backing tracks, except for ball capture (which is Yellow's "OH YEAH"). The rest is Billy Idol, Steve Stevens (from the movie "Speed"), Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Cheap Trick (Top Gun end credits), and even the Blue Man Group. The main theme is made up of multiple versions of "Don't Need a Gun" (but no lyrics). If you're not familiar with the song, listen to it here:
If the music does't strike you, feel free to grab all the Lamborghini "drive by" sound files.
A HUGE thank you to Mr_Tantrum for posting the instructions on how to do this, and for all the PM's and emails that he's responded to along the way. It's like I have an all-new game!

I can hardly wait to get home after the holiday to check this out.

#10002 4 years ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

Hi guys, just joined the club and just found this forum today. Thanks for all of the LED ideas and mods (my wallet doesn't thank you).
One thing I am looking for that I cannot find is this Williams Speaker Panel Grill, can they be purchased? Mine looks rusty and doesn't have the Williams logo.
Dave[quoted image]

I would suggest painting them yourselves if you have the skill and tools. I would remove them, spray them black, print a template on adhesive, cut, apply, spray orange/red, remove template and spray clear, re-install and call it a day.

Probably sounds a lot easier than it really is.

#10008 4 years ago
Quoted from nutty:

Are these still available mr_tantrum, any idea about shipping to the UK ?

I have one professionally cut plastic remaining to pair with one more mountain (I also have one hand cut one, which is not as smooth). PM me with your address and I will provide a shipping quote.

#10019 4 years ago

I just wanted to thank everyone who purchased 3D mountains for their interest and support. Quite honestly, that ended up being a much larger effort than I initially expected (I'm really kind of tired of making them - the 24 hour print is not so bad, but I really dislike painting them for some reason). I've now sold out of the professionally cut mountain plastics, and for upcoming one-off orders I will be providing hand cut versions (I would need at least 10 orders for it to make sense for me to buy more cut ones).

I'm hopefully about to shut things down for the Christmas holiday, and give this elf some time off from making toys year around. So, if you want any of my mods before Christmas, now is the time to order. For the Getaway newbies, my items are all listed here: http://thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball, and you can PM me with whatever you might be interested in for a final quote and payment arrangements.

#10021 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I still gotta get the target stickers, the super charger sticker, and something else Im forgetting from you. Eugene is sending my boards back today so I should have a functional game again next week!
Dunno if you updated your files but I do have an ugly functional video mode working now

Actually, been out of town due to my wife's mom passing, so haven't been doing much pinball wise. Trying to get caught up, but have a terribly busy weekend. Even so, I'm eager to check out what you've done.

#10023 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

My condolences :/

Thank you.

I just gave your latest colorization a try . . . very impressive.

#10037 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Uh oh, this again... this will end up being totally subjective. There are plenty of photos and opinions on both but I had an led (on my Shadow) and sent it back for LCD. I own 2 lcd screens and prefer their versatility. They don't fit like a glove like led but there is no white light bleed on the display and they aren't as bright which is ok for me because the led was too bright and gave me headaches. Either way it's a great upgrade

My input is this:

- Classic DMD games (like Getaway), I prefer the dot pattern of the LED version (resembles the original DMD).
- New DMD games with video and lots of animations, I prefer the LCD version (personally I cannot stand the enhanced mode or whatever it is called with the cartoonish look to it).

#10044 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Other than the burn rubber maps (its done by a palette change instead of a full colorization) and a complete video mode, its done (I did it). There are 2 partial video modes, one where the mountain is done, and one where the dynamic car is done.
WOB did a vid of a near final build:
There is a glitch where the hitch hiker's hair turns brown on the VPIN but not on the real pin.
As for LED vs LCD for color DMD, it will always come down to preference. I prefer LED. And I think the 2x SAI (Scale and Interpolation) looks awful and my hate for it runs deep. I thought it looked like shit back when MAME did it like 15+ years ago

When I look back a couple of years ago when I undertook the Getaway colorization, made some progress, and then was legally threatened by ColorDMD and Planetary Pinball, I can't begin to express how impressed I am with what you have accomplished. I don't think that many truly understand the time, work, and creativity/problem solving you have dedicated to this. I know there are several of us who greatly appreciate you and your results.

#10052 4 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

PIN2DMD looks to be very interesting but what about the legal end of things? Is your work and that of others transferable?

The topic has been discussed at length in other threads. From my perspective there is not an issue nor has any legal action been officially taken against the creators/distributors of the hardware nor the colonizations. Just a lot of claims and verbal bullying thrown around.

#10057 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Bottom right is supposed to fire first. I believe this applies to L-2 and up. It’s so you can trap a ball down below and make the upper jackpot shot.

2 state flippers are a feature of L5, not L2. I believe that most Getaway owners are running L2 as the best featured version. However, I would assume that L5 is second most popular.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin#post-1407040

#10062 4 years ago
Quoted from jaybeedee:

That's what I thought too, but it is software controlled. I replaced L2 with L5 and voila, 2 stage flippers.

Quoted from pkrobin:

Mine has a double leaf pack, should be software independent, no?
Not that it matters I suppose just curious now. I use P-C. L2 feels like it scores too easy. Haven't investigated but definitely higher than L5 or P-C which is the best, IMO.

Now do you believe me?

#10064 4 years ago
Quoted from pkrobin:

Believe schmelieve. If I knew for sure I wouldn't have added "no?" One more reason to ditch that lame L2 rom.

It's all good.

#10066 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Installed the mountain mod and the new traffic light, both look great.[quoted image]

Those look sweet! Where on earth did you acquire such awesome mods?

1 week later
#10082 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

Hi guys! I have a Getaway and going to make it one of the top10 most awesome builds on planet earth...Glad you guys are here to join me!...Lol.

Congrats. As far as top 10 go, I'd first see how many Getaway restores HEP has done over the years, then you can be the number immediately after that.

Awesome thread to follow if you are not aware of it: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18

#10084 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

You guys are pretty harsh, 202 Pages of thread, and than some hep, lots of nice, nice machines, I may have to step up my game some to make the grade...Hello Malenco guess who is wearing her giant sunglasses? (Giggle).

Looking forward to see what you do with your game. I always appreciate it when someone puts some love into a Getaway.

#10093 4 years ago

Well, I’ve absolutely drank the PinSound Koolaid. I’ve decked out both my Getaway and Jurassic Park with PinsSound boards, shakers, speakers, and headphone stations. Then come all of my custom orchestrations for Getaway and customization of JP, along with doing these shakerizations for PinSound. I can’t say enough positive things about the brothers and their products.

I’ve also done several orchestrations and shakerizations for games I don’t own, but others have commissioned me to create them.

I have a Guide to PinSound thread that needs updating given all the new hardware and software, but who knows when I might get around to that: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound

I also have a YouTube channel that features most of my Getaway orchestrations for those who are interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZMqNYihUmFxrzM2MmxBHzg

Orchestrations are here:
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/22-getaway

Finally, I’m always happy to help with PinSound related questions. Just PM me or post here in the thread if about Getaway and you think others would benefit from the conversation.

#10094 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

...guess who is wearing her giant sunglasses?

Is there a lady among us now? If so, that's great as this hobby should be enjoyed by everyone (not just us middle-aged men).

Not to stereotype genders, but you know what I think would be awesome? How about a Getaway retheme based upon Barbie's pink glam convertible? Hot pink side rails, legs, coin door, playfield accents, etc. would be great. I'd even provide one of my custom Donut Heaven mods with the pink glazed donut on the side of the building for free.

#10095 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I'm a pinsound believer too, I'm just poor.

You may be poor, but we're all richer for having you in the club. Thanks for everything you contribute, especially your Getaway PIN2DMD colorization project!

#10098 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I have never been able to get my Pinsound to play multiple orchestrations on my Getaway. Always cuts out any non music sounds. Still baffled.

Yeah, really not sure what your issue may be as I've had multiple orchestrations from the beginning (I'm running 7 or 8 now), and they switch perfectly - the exterior headphone station is a must for this.

#10100 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Thanks for all you do for Getaway owners! I confess that I don't like the callouts in the alternative Pinsound mixes. So I recorded my own!
https://clyp.it/1bish2ew
Permission is granted to download, remix and reuse this audio for noncommercial use. I haven't heard these through anything but my own headphones (my only pinsound is in a TZ) so if they need adjusting or you want the original audio to mess with, just give a yell.

Hey, those are pretty good, and sound close to the original. I'm going to stick them in an orchestration to see how they sound in the game. The ones I have in all of my remixes were done by professional voice actors. Even then, I ended up digitally modifying most of them.

#10105 4 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Thanks. I had no idea.
Just load multiple versions of the soundtrack on the usb, use with the headphone jack and all set?

This is why the headphone station is a must, even if you never use headphones. It provides external volume control and allows for switching the orchestrations via the external volume dial instead of having to open the coin door and using the service buttons.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/187#post-4968820

#10106 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

I would recommend using the pinsound software to load the sound packages. You avoid having the board uncompress the zip files and do conversion, which saves time and avoids errors.

Much simpler/faster way, IMO w/o using PSSP.
1) Download desired orchestration from PinSound Community Forums
2) Extract zip file on computer
3) Perform conversion of .OGG to .WAV using fre:ac
4) Search for all .OGG in folder then delete all results only leaving the .WAV files
5) Copy folder to appropriate place on USB drive

I've literally done it dozens of times, and it is second nature to me now. I'm happy to walk anyone through the process if there are questions.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound

#10114 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

Here is a fun pic for you guys...It has some fire damage.[quoted image]

Oh wow, you have your work cutout for you.

#10115 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Interesting, what does the mirror do?

Quoted from Passave:

Oh yes that pesky thing...I would make you one, However that would be tricky, The board itself may not be consistent from machine to machine and the holes would not line up ...I spose you could scan yours and we could check it out?[quoted image]

Is the mirrored board just bling (it does look pretty cool), or does it serve a functional purpose? Also, did you use glass or some other material?

Also, why is your pic rotated 90 degrees and reflected (look at the lettering on your paint can). Beware, I'm the one that started the thread about shaming those who can't figure out how to properly take and post a pic.

#10119 4 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi all. You can take 2 Getaways off the total numbers list now for sure!
I just put up my post on the Mad Max Retheme my brother and I have done. Check it out. Happy new year..
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mad-max-original-1979-retheme-project#post-5392552

Absolutely awesome! Gorgeous pin and the retheme is perfect for Getaway. I love everything you've done, and the custom themed sound is terrific.

My only critique is you not knowing to hold your camera in landscape orientation when shooting video.

#10121 4 years ago

Think your Barbie pink glam retheme will live up to Jakusu's work, Passave?

#10124 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Been a long time coming...

I know you've been working on this for some time. Cool of you to document and share with the group.

BTW, were you the guy going with all clear inserts on the playfield (I really like the look of that)? I noticed that your new playfield has the standard colors is why I ask.

#10125 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Thanks for all you do for Getaway owners! I confess that I don't like the callouts in the alternative Pinsound mixes. So I recorded my own!
https://clyp.it/1bish2ew
Permission is granted to download, remix and reuse this audio for noncommercial use. I haven't heard these through anything but my own headphones (my only pinsound is in a TZ) so if they need adjusting or you want the original audio to mess with, just give a yell.

Was copying files to test, but it looks like you missed a few of the narrator callouts. Here is the complete list:

1| Shift Now
2| Super Charger Ready
3| Shift
4| Shift Gears
5| Don't Move
6| Extra Ball
7| Shift Gears Now
8| Redline Mania

Here is what was in your file
1| Shift Now
2| Supercharger Ready
3|
4| Shift Gears
5| Don't Move (2 versions)
6|
7|
8| Redline Mania

#10130 4 years ago

The volume control on the headphone station is now working. I installed the latest firmware (again) and installed a new orchestration on the usb. The volume control isn't perfect as I sometimes have to go all the way to 0 in order to change the volume rather than just lower the volume by turning knob to the left.
Main reason for installation though is to switch the songs. Still working on that.

I have PinSound 1, and here is how the volume control works with it (can't speak for PinSound Plus)

- Upon install, you must upgrade your firmware to the latest version.
- You can turn the volume to whatever level you would like w/o issue during gameplay.
- To change orchestrations, while pin is on you turn volume all the way to zero and leave it there. You will here the magical chime which signifies the orchestration has changed, and then you will here a 5 or so second preview clip of the new orchestration. You must wait for this to complete then the PinSound will now be on the newly selected orchestration. From here you must turn the volume back up to the desired level.
- If you attempt to raise the volume up some immediately after the chime and then back down to 0 to skip to the next clip, it may or may not change orchestrations.
- Sometimes depending upon how you do things, it may seem like it is not working or there is a lag. However, if you operate like I describe in my first 2 points above then it should work as designed. I have this same setup in both my Getaway and on my Jurassic Park, and the behavior is identical on the two different platforms.

BTW, if you have a PinSound 1 and want to order the headphones station you MUST select the PinSound 1 option when ordering as this includes a required adapter which the PinSound + does not need.

BTW, I think I may have an extra brand new PinSound+ Headphones Station if anyone want to buy it. I know they are about $59 shipped from PinSound, but I would sell it for $45 shipped to US since I just have it in storage for some unforeseen future use. Please PM me if interested.

#10138 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Can anyone tell me location and hole diameter for Getaway topper ?
The game I have had a fire , they swapped out the head and deleted topper
Plugs there and I have new mech to install

Same question came up a couple of months ago I think, so you may be able to find your answer using thread search. If I recall, Jakusu posted the response.

Found it: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/199#post-5254193

#10143 4 years ago

Where do I get these files?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

PM me, and I’ll help you take care of things.

#10145 4 years ago

Update - I copied a zipped file to a different USB, which was old and full of other files, and it loaded on the machine without problem.
The USB I was using just yesterday will not work when doing the same thing. I must have corrupted the USB somehow.

Good to hear. I suggest you do a FAT32 format on the USB drive not working then give it a try again. If that doesn't work, then retire it to some other use.

#10146 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Funny you mentioned that. I was looking for some tricks for making a cool deep voice as we hear in the original callouts and the page I found was all about making callouts in techno tracks. I wouldn't have thought of using a ring modulator.
Also I re-recorded everything. And I doubled everything up. So these are in stereo and I hope you guys like it. I might need a pinsound for my getaway now!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/76mohhdt9x7v608/AADdfIaZppQgQ10SAfv4yYVya?dl=0[quoted image]

The pitched version sound great, but the stereo processed version sounds terribly distorted to me. I'm going to cut up the callouts and give them a try. I played a game with the originals, and everything worked well. Based on the amplitude graph, I had to amplify some to be equalized to my orchestrations, but that was a simple fix.

FYI, many may not have the software or knowledge on how to break up the files and adjust loudness. If I send you a link to the individually adjusted and cut files could you post on your download site for everyone?

As far as the techno version goes, might be fun to run the callouts through an auto-tuner or something to see what they sound like.

#10155 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Thanks.
However, counter intuitively, stereo is a BAD choice for voice. Here is why:
mr_tantrum can these assetts be easily saved as mono in pinsound explorer. if not, plese let me know and I will try to convert them to mono with audacity.

Well, first of all I'm going to disagree with you as it relates to audio for use in pinball. I convert all of my voices (actually, all files including callouts) to stereo for my orchestrations for this and other pins, and they clearly deliver an overall better sound than mono tracks IMO. If mono is still one's preference, it is quite simple in Audacity to convert any stereo file to a mono one. Going the other way is a little more effort, but I still use Audacity with the Nyquist plug-in which gives you control over some of the elements (i.e. it's not just the mono track duplicated identically for left & right channels).

#10156 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Thank you! I can’t wait to hear how it sounds in an actual pin and make further necessary tweaks. I’m inclined to suggest distortion levels 2 and 5 randomized for “shift now”, “redline mania,” and “supercharger ready,” and distortion levels 0 and 2 randomized for everything else.

Probably just me, but I'm not a fan of the distorted callouts. Then again, I loathe sound effects like auto tune. Great news is that spblat is making the files available in a multitude of formats so that different people can use what they each like, or even start with the originals and apply their own effects.

His work takes me back to a few years ago when I was putting together fully customized orchestrations before I ever actually owned a PinSound. If I was totally honest with myself, I believe that I get more out of this hobby from the creativity side of things verses actually playing the games, and I'm sure that others probably feel the same. I appreciate spblat's contribution and openness to share his work, and I also encourage anyone to use my orchestrations as a basis for their own customization.

#10157 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I use Pinsound Studio to load files on USB. My board will load the file in under a minute. Not sure why some people have to wait 30 minutes for the file to load? I have never heard of the config.pinsound file being required to be loaded separately on the USB. Isn’t this file generated by the Pinsiund card when the file has been loaded? Thanks.

I use nothing to load the files onto mine other than Windows file explorer (fully documented in my guide thread).

#10162 4 years ago

When you download an orchestration from the PinSound site, the file is a zipped copy that contains the entire file structure using .OGG files. The reason for this is that .OGG files are highly compressed verses .WAV files which would make the download file significantly larger. However, PinSound only reads/uses .WAV files so the orchestration must be converted the first time before it can be used. Therefore, the user has a choice: 1) Copy the zip to the PinSound and allow it to perform the conversion of all files and building of the file structure, or 2) You do it on a significantly more powerful computer using free software tools. Once the conversion of all files from .OGG to .WAV is performed the initial time, the change is permanent for that orchestration and the time taken for the initial conversion never needs to be performed again.

I've been told that this conversion process is significantly faster on PinSound+ verses PinSound 1, but I have no experience with the newer board. Therefore, my experience is as follows:

Let the PinSound do the conversion:
PROS - Takes no technical knowledge of third party software to perform the conversion - just plug & play
CONS - Takes significantly longer each time you want to load a new orchestration (can take between 15-30 minutes on PS1)

Do the conversion on your computer:
PROS - Can achieve a full file conversion and transfer to USB drive in less than 5 minutes
CONS - Must have third party tools (free) and know how to use them, and you must understand the required file structure on the USB drive

With the 6 or 7 orchestrations I have on my current Getaway PinSound 1, the PinSound takes about 60 seconds or so to boot to the ready state from power off until the pin has sound and is ready for play.

#10165 4 years ago

What do most of you think? LED or no LED in the backbox?

I'm LED all the way, including flashers. Not only that, I prefer the 4 SMD non-domed non-ghosting LEDs from Comet. Not only do they look better IMO, but they don't generate the heat. I'm happy to snap a pic of things if/when you are considering ordering bulbs.

#10177 4 years ago

What do most of you think? LED or no LED in the backbox?

Here is my final/favorite setup after having 3 or 4 different configurations over the last few years. I use Comet 4 SMD non-domed, non-ghosting bulbs. The reds and blues are obvious, the whiter looking bulbs are natural/cool white, and the two yellowish are warm white (they illuminate the driver & passenger). I also use the Comet 10SMD medium tower flashers (all natural/cool white). I do have an extra bulb at the bottom I added to illuminate the license plate.

GI Bulbs: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/4smd-non-ghosting
Flashers: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/medium-tower-flashers?variant=29411773382758
IMG_3274 (resized).JPGIMG_3274 (resized).JPGIMG_3275 (resized).JPGIMG_3275 (resized).JPG

A1B9F4CF-5ED2-4767-988C-BCFC1324C3F2.jpegA1B9F4CF-5ED2-4767-988C-BCFC1324C3F2.jpeg
#10180 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I will give two yellows a try where the two people in the car are situated. Have you tried red clear behind the Getaway lettering?

Yellows are not bright enough so I use warm white. Yes, I’ve had reds behind lettering, but it washes out the detail.

#10188 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Will definitely check it out. I think Getaway is the leader in Pinsound orchestrations now. I think the count is up to 22. Keep them coming! mr_tantrum what happened to that disco remix? Back of the priorities now? Thanks.

Forgot all about it, actually. I'll have to get working on it. Been so busy making loads of mods for everyone, I've barely had time to do anything for myself the last several months.

#10189 4 years ago
Quoted from Meatneck:

Does one of you pinsound guys have a good working old sound board? mine has taken a dump and blows the 5 pin transistor on power up. there doesnt seem to be anyone selling re pops of that board yet.

Well, I had one that I was willing to part with but my wife cleaned out the walk-in attic and somehow it dissappeared. I've looked everywhere, but it is gone.

#10192 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

How many versions will the pin sound hold that you can choose from ? 22 ?

As many as you can fit on the USB drive, I assume. However, the more you have the longer the PinSound takes to boot.

#10196 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Has anybody experimented with taking the original sound effects and "stereo-izing" them? What you do is take two copies of the sound, pan one left and one right, then delay one by 10-30 milliseconds.

Here's an example of three familiar Getaway effects. Each is first heard in mono and then in stereo.In the third one, the jackpot sound starts in mono and then expands to stereo.
Has anyone ever done this? Should I make more?

I've played with it some, and I do this in a variety of other commissioned orchestrations I've done for others. Just decided it hasn't been worth my time to go back and do them all for Getaway. Also, 10ms delay is about is long as I like to go before things start sounding too echo-ish.

If someone wants to take the time to do it and it sounds good, then I would be happy to update all of my orchestrations and re-upload them on the community forum. Who knows, I may get to it one of these days if nobody else takes it on. Of course, I would only do the original sounds that I keep in my custom orchestrations where I have a multitude of custom SFX.

Although I don't document exactly how to do it, I do reference it in my guide. Personally, I use Audacity with the Nyquist Effects plugin, but I'm sure any sound editor of choice should have the capability.

#10199 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

but I bet it can also be done with audacity.

Requires the free Nyquist plugins | https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Download_Nyquist_Plug-ins#download

Process is as follows once plugin is installed (you can also script it):

1) Launch Audacity and load mono file
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

2) Highlight entire wave image by double-clicking with your mouse, copy, then paste to create 2 identical tracks

3) Click the black down triangle on the top track and select "Make Stereo Track" to join the two mono tracks

4) Double click track to highlight, click on "Effect" menu, then click Pseud-Stereo to launch the settings window

5) Set desired settings (my are 10% delay factor & 80% Effect mix for the Right (lower) channel) then click OK button (or you can preview) to apply effect.

6) Export WAV audio as normal

#10205 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

FLAC. It didn’t occur to me to verify whether pinsound supports it. Let me make an MP3 version. Within 5 minutes of you reading this, the link above will offer MP3s as an alternative.

PinSound only supports WAV files, so you should generate in this format so others don't have to convert them.

#10212 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Strike two for me. I could have sworn I have downloaded pinsound packages containing .ogg files that work fine in my TZ. WAV files uploaded!

The files are ogg format for compression, but PinSound converts them to wav files the first time you load the zip on the usb and turn on the pin.

#10217 4 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

Joined the club over the weekend. Nice original condition for a nice price. Previous owner was super cool and even gave me one of his custom license plates he had on one of his cars. Found some cool history in the back of the cabinet as well.

Welcome to the club! Are your plans to leave it "original condition" or is it going to be a project for you? BTW, the earning page is pretty cool. I wonder if that nearly a couple of grand alone was enough to pay for the cost of the pin back in the day.

#10220 4 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

The cabinet will stay in all its faded dinged up glory as I like to keep that part of its story intact. The playfield will get the full treatment to match its neighbors.

While my experience is limited, it seems like the OEM graphics on the Getaway pin severely suffer from fade compared to other pins of the same generation. Not sure if that is just my perception or if something about the inks that were used are the source of the issue. You would think that the vast majority were never exposed to direct sunlight, so must be other environmental catalysts.

#10222 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

The aftermarket stickers do that too, cars, gel coat, it must be something with red pigments...I actually put a set of stickers on mine that were already faded almost to pink (I kinda liked it) However I believe the art was scanned from a pre faded machine and ultimately wound up stripping them and buying a new set just to have the deep red, and clearcoting them for Uv protection....I notice your machine has a few red tidbits that are not found out here in the real world, I wonder if the years will create the same condition?

My decals are all reproductions. There were printed by a professional here from Pinside with artwork I supplied on breathable vinyl with a clear gloss vinyl on top. Even though I didn't do a HEP quality application (everything is documented in this thread), I'm confident they will look good and the quality will remain for years to come.

#10227 4 years ago

So, since pinballjah reminded me, I decided to start on my Getaway disco music orchestration today. While I'm a child of the 80's, I do occasionally indulge in 70's disco music, and after listening and downloading tracks all morning I think this will make for an enjoyable mix.

In the process, I needed to cleanup my runsheet format to account for the new PinSound numbering system, so here is a sample including three of my orchestration that some may find useful as a model (PM me if you want the Excel file). This is just the contents of the MUSIC folder, but I could easily make an Excel file that includes all sound files if anyone would find that helpful.

#10229 4 years ago

Those are good notes. Most of the timings I just know from experience (e.g. video mode 15 seconds - default setting) and burn rubber (map) is very brief, etc. Also, I've only had 2 or 3 of the songs that never played for me. I never documented it (but should have) but in the old PinSound Studio you could actually record games and then play the audio back seeing the file numbers referenced. It was odd in that some games the number for the main theme changed from one to the other in the list. I also wonder if it has anything to do with firmware version, or if the audio was made but the game designers never called certain tracks after the fact.

Also, do you have your attract mode sounds enabled? If not, that may be one or two of the music files you haven't heard.

#10234 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

I hadn’t planned to put a shaker in my pinsound order. Can you put into words how the Getaway gameplay experience is enhanced? My TNG has a pinbits shaker tied to the enterprise shields flashers and I admit it’s pretty cool.

Just to let you know, I did the shaker program for the Getaway for PinSound. As EStroh mentioned, it is ready to go out of the box. However, you can still very easily modify it to your specific liking if you don't like everything I did, and it doesn't cost you anything to download and used the free PinSound Studio Pro tool.

As a point of reference, I have shaker actions programmed on about 75 of the sounds. Also, in addition to the 9 pre-programmed shaker actions I incorporate an additional 3 custom ones that I use with various sounds such as the engine revving.

I tried to shoot a video of the shaker in action, but it just didn't do it justice - hard to convey the tactile feedback through video even if the camera shakes. I've done the official shaker routines for 5 or 6 different games now (I'm loosing count), but I still consider Getaway to me my masterpiece!

#10235 4 years ago

Get out the Windex and dust off those mirrored balls you have in the basement, as I've just finished all of the music for my new Getaway PinSound disco mix. I still need to actually test it with a few games, and I'm also considering adding in some of the spblat sound updates. Not sure if I can get everything done today or not, but the orchestration will definitely drop some time this week.

Here's a preview of my runsheet, assuming nothing changes after I test. My favorite track is the confidence booster you get when you set a high score - You Sexy Thing!

#10240 4 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

LMK if "Upside Down" or "More More More" plays on your pin. I don't think those two will come up on mine

Yeah, since you mentioned it I searched through my old orchestrations and never saw any of those calls referenced, but felt like I needed to have a placeholder there.

#10243 4 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

Interesting that you and I both seemed to find the same 11 songs that never seem to play. One of us could have saved some serious time figuring that out.
Also interesting that your folder numbers (prior to the folder name) don't match what I have. I similarly compared mine to both Mr_Tantrum's "000012" old numbering system as well as the folder number system that was resident on the original orchestration. Just curious - where did you come up with those folder numbers? I used Mr_Tantrum's John Wick folder numbers as a template (for example, I have 2425679781 for "ball in shooter lane").

So, here is what occurred. When the PinSound convention changed, I had Nicolas convert an orchestration for me since I was doing a new one. Then I later noticed when all my stuff was converted and reposted on the PinSound forum site that there were two different folder naming schemes. Since I was doing shaker development, I wanted to push my shakerization to all my orchestrations just by copying over the config file. What I discovered is that config files are not compatible for the same game if the orchestrations use different numbering schemes (i.e. none of my shaker actions worked). So, I then manually converted all of the orchestration I have over to the numbering system so that my shaker program worked on all of them. I've never re-posted them to the download site, so those still contain some of each.

I don't quite understand things, but I think that somehow if someone downloads a routine and has the PinSound uncompress it then the firmware applies the shaker routine to it. Nicolas is pretty protective of his methodology, so I don't nag him to explain it all to me.

#10245 4 years ago

They do seem to be random, and when I point blank asked Nicolas about it he was silent. I then asked, "Are you doing something propriety that you don't want to share?" He said, "Yes, it is proprietary." He has always been open with me, but maybe his English was failing him a little until I offered up the correct word (he and Timothee "the PinSound Bros." are French for those who don't know), but his grasp of English is quite impressive). After that I left him alone about it. Basically it looks like there can be many different folder numbering systems for the same game. However, you must have the correct config.pinsound for that numbering system. To make it easy on me for development and to retrofit all of the orchestrations I developed, on my computer I just converted everything to the same system based upon one of the known working new orchestration formats.

#10247 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Updated contents of the link above to make it massively easier to import my stereo sounds into your existing pinsound mixes.

So, funny thing. I'm wrapping up my disco orchestration, so I downloaded your "stereoized" files to incorporate them. Before doing so, I decided to check a few of my files, and discovered that I have already "stereoized" every single file (both my custom ones and any originals I kept). Quite honestly, I don't even remember doing this, but I must have done it some time ago.

Still, you may want to enhance the effect more for your personal liking. As far as I'm concerned, the more who get into PinSound and development the greater it is for the pinball community.

#10249 4 years ago
Quoted from Sleepy:

I got my numbering convention from one of the original Tantrum files I downloaded from the Pinsound site.
I changed some of the folder names to make it easier for me to understand and follow what I was doing when trying to figure this stuff out,

Just to clarify, I did not post those with the new convention except for John Wick. At some point, PinSound converted everything on the site themselves and reposted with the new format. One of these days when I have time for the project, I'm going to redo all of my orchestrations to ensure everything is up-to-date and then I'll repost so that all of them will use the same exact numbering scheme.

#10250 4 years ago
Quoted from Sleepy:

I hope to at some point, but am still working on adjusting volumes across different songs as the source materials had differences.

Post the files somewhere for me to download, and I'll knock this out in an hour or less for you. Or, as I've offered before, we can setup a webinar and I'll show you how to do it yourself if you've not yet figured it out in Audacity.

#10252 4 years ago
Quoted from Sleepy:

I can do it in Audacity by adjusting the gain I think, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I have no idea how I would post the files somewhere. I have zero technical skills. I probably never got around to it as I figured I wouldn't know how to post it on the site.

Again, I can do the file conversion and walk you through the process. We'd probably need 30 minutes on a webinar to knock everything out.

#10253 4 years ago

@spblat, you may have read this but you'll also want to create a custom startup sound to replace the default chimes. To do this, just place the wav file in the audio folder at the same level and the orchestration folders. The one I made is an engine start and peel out of a Lamborghini Diablo (happy to share if you pm me with your email), although I'm sure you are more than capable of making your own.

Although it is not officially defined anywhere, there is a limit to the length of the sound clip as some I've experimented with in the past have been cutoff during playback.

#10255 4 years ago

Getaway Disco is in the can! I made a few minor adjustments on some of the music cuts, played several games achieving everything, and was feelin' pretty groovy doing it the whole time. Put on the bellbottoms, spin the mirrored ball, and hit the dance floor!

Once approved, orchestration will be available on the PinSound community site: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/22-getaway

Yellow are tracks that you may never hear. If anyone does ever hear, please report back regarding what event triggers them and what ROM version you have installed.

#10256 4 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

I wasn't planning on uploading my other 3 sound packages to the PinSound site because I figure Timothee and Nicolas are getting tired of all the HS2 submissions.

I'm sure they are loving it. I bet they wish other title owners had this much passion about their games. Currently Getaway has 21 orchestrations posted with apparently 4 more in the queue with my #13 mix and the 3 new ones you have uploaded today. The next highest is Guns & Roses with 7.

BTW, the TNA tracks are awesome (why I used it as the main theme in my Techno orchestration). Heck, I even copied it to the USB I keep in my car stereo and I crank it up every time it pops up in the rotation.

If any of you Getaway owners still haven't purchased a PinSound, what are you waiting for (besides the cash to do it)?

#10259 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Totally! I did this in my TZ awhile back so it would boot with the TV theme tune.
My pinsound order goes in this week. I'll be focused on building an orchestration blending my callouts and stereo FX with different sections from Trip Like I Do from The Crystal method. \m/

Ahh, not your first rodeo. As excited as you were, I thought this was going to be your inaugural PinSound.

#10264 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

OMG this project sounds absolutely miserable...I am so hoping that plug and play is going to be "good enough" and dont need to know all this insanity.

All of this "insanity" is just for all of us techno-geeks that like doing all of the customization. We're just trying to add a little more variety and flair to things.

For those who just want to install PinSound and have it work, you just pick your desired orchestration and copy it to the PinSound USB - really simple and straightforward.

1 week later
#10276 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

L2 is preferred because it fixes bugs in L1 and keeps the “RUN THE RED LIGHT” animation. L5 fixes other bugs but doesn’t have that animation.
More: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/four-new-pinball-software-mods-dm-sttng-hs2-jy#post-4844959

Always cracked me up that they took that away. I'm wandering what external pressures came along at the time to shame them into removing "run the red light", as if players would be so influenced they would repeat the behavior in real life.

#10287 4 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

`I dont know much about speakers, so a guide would be great. Would that guide be on Pinside?

From experience, here is what I would say. If your current speakers are good (not cracked, etc.) and you don't have a PinSound. You will notice little to no difference with new budget speakers (even rewired to stereo like I did). It all has to do with the quality of the sound being pumped to the speakers. However, if you upgrade to PinSound you now will have significantly better source audio. Now, upgraded speakers definitely will make a difference. You'll want to re-wire for stereo instead of mono and use two of the same sized speakers instead of the current setup in the backbox. While a budget speaker setup will sound significantly better, there is also a small noticeable quality difference when upgrading to PinSound speakers or equivalent.

Originally, I replaced my speakers with some budget Polks (backbox and cab). I was terribly disappointed in that I didn't notice any difference. I then rewired for stereo, again I was disappointed. Purchased my PinSound and was blown away by the quality. I added PinSound speakers to my JP, and it sounded slightly better I thought than my Getaway. I bit the bullet and bought PinSound speakers for my Getaway to replace the Polk ones, and immediately noticed an improved sound quality (deeper/richer/etc.) Admittedly, the difference is minor and to many it would not be worth the extra cost to go from a good budget speaker to a great speaker system.

Anyway, my 2 cents. If you plan on keeping the original sound board and your current speakers are in good physical condition, then I think you're wasting your money upgrading them without first adding a PinSound to the mix.

Here is a good place to start | http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

#10290 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

This is definitely true for games pre DCS, but I've seen a big improvement upgrading speakers in DCS and newer games. The sound packages are much higher quality with less compression in DCS mixes.

I'm speaking from actual firsthand experience with my Getaway, and everything I stated is accurate. I can't tell you want a great disappointment it was after replacing the speakers and playing my first game. I literally could barely tell the difference even though my old cabinet speaker cone was busted. Adding in the L-Pad helped a little since it allowed better control, but if you expect you are going to all of a sudden get noticeably better results just by replacing the speakers when the source audio doesn't change (i.e. midi-sounding, mono, low kHz, low power from driver board, etc.), you will be greatly disappointed.

However, if the plan is to someday upgrade your sound board then you'll definitely want to upgrade speakers at some point, and a budget set will probably suffice for most owners.

#10292 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

I wasn’t at all disputing you. Getaway is a pre-dcs game with a low quality soundboard and highly compressed mix. You would have had a much different experience if you had the same experimentation on a DCS game.

Sorry for the confusion, and I would agree. There are definitely pins where sound quality is significantly improved by upgrading speakers because the OEM ones are under spec'ed and not up to the level of the sound that is being pumped to them. I'm guessing that audio quality was not at the top of the list back in the day when all of the pins were in loud arcades with a multitude of fighting ambient sounds going on.

#10294 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

They also didn’t care much when they choose $1 speakers when manufacturing these machines. Your AFM is a late DCS soundmix with solid speakers in your LE remake. So that’s a pretty good example of what a DCS game might sound like with nice speakers and no pinsound upgrade.

The AFMr does sound good with its speaker setup, but it is killing me that I can't update the source audio on it to make it even better.

#10305 4 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

This is my lack of experience with pinsound, but looks like my FF speakers are for the pinsound board specifically and will not work with a standard sound board. It’s just too much hassle to get this switched out so I guess I’ll keep the pinsound and explore it.
Thanks for everyone who PMed me and helped me out

That doesn't make sense. Speakers should work fine with original sound board (would be a waste of good speakers, IMO). There would be some possible wiring changes you would need to make depending upon what the previous owner did, but how to do so is fully documented.

#10307 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Not the case, FF makes speakers specific for Pinsound. Can cause problems if use original board. I confirmed this with the owner of FF previously.

It's a speaker - what is the acceptable power range, ohm specs, etc. Just because the design them to work optimally with PinSound (PinSound does the same with there speakers), it doesn't mean you can't use the speakers for other applications. I would want to understand the scientific/technical explanation of why certain speakers cannot be used in certain applications.

#10316 4 years ago

Great high energy orchestration. Well done.

#10319 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

New decal that goes under lockdown bar. Hides all the old decals and rust, etc.[quoted image]

I made ones for both my old games, but Titan Pinball sells very high quality ones that I would recommend.

#10320 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

If you have Pinsound I made something for you to wake the neighbors with.

Just noticed that there are so many Getaway orchestrations there is now a second page. Not sure how they are sorted, but once spblat uploads his orchestration, you may need to go to page 2 to find it.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/22-getaway

#10321 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Place this ZIP at the root of your Pinsound USB drive and wait the customary 7 minutes for conversion. (I used OGG because it produces a zip file that's 6 times smaller.)

Pinsound 1 will take much longer that 7 minutes. Easiest/quickest way is to do the conversion via FRE:AC | https://www.freac.org/en/downloads-mainmenu-33

I can do the full conversion in 1-2 minutes following this process:
- In FRE:AC set output to WAV
- Extract the zip file on your desktop (or wherever)
- Drag and drop the unzipped folder onto FRE:AC and you'll see all of the OGG files appear that are contained in all subfolders
- Click go button and watch the conversion take place
- When finished to a search in the parent orchestration folder for *.OGG
- When all results are listed, select all then delete . . . now you are left with just the WAV files
- Copy orchestration folder into the audio folder on your USB
- Now orchestration is fully ready to go once PinSound boots without having to do any conversion.

#10327 4 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Does anyone offer the pin for the lift ramp? I ordered one from marco but its only like an inch long and doesn't work well. I had to stack washers behind it to get it functional and its still kinda wonky. I've seen pictures of a longer version and thats really what I need. Also if anyone has a spare for sale I'd be interested in it!

Part number and/or pic would be helpful.

#10329 4 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Actually I figured it out. On marco's website this is what they list: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4268 but it is too short to work properly as I described above.
Actual part you need is this: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4590
At least in theory. Just ordered one and I hope it works[quoted image][quoted image]

That definitely look more like it from what I recall from memory.

#10333 4 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

Does anyone know where I can get just the police car with the interactive light bar? I see pinball pro sells the helicopter and car combo, but my pin already has the helicopter in it

That was originally a Mezel mod, but I don't think it is available anymore.

#10334 4 years ago

Here are some pics for those interested in my 3D traffic light (see link below) with colored inserts instead of clear as shown in the original post)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/174#post-4660976

IMG_3417.JPGIMG_3417.JPGIMG_3419.JPGIMG_3419.JPGIMG_3418.JPGIMG_3418.JPG
1 week later
#10351 4 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Looks great! Just to be sure, what is the color combination you chose - Red Sign, Black Roof/Trim, White Building?

I can custom color the roof, the sign, the building, the corners, the ledges, the door frame, the awnings, the lettering, the window tint, and the donut.

I’m happy to do color renderings before purchase to show what the colors will look like together.

#10355 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

My game currently is running code L-1. What is the best or preferred rom code I should get?

L2 seems to be the most popular followed by L5 (I have L2). If you search through the thread you’ll find posts that document the differences (See post #250).

Main difference is that L5 supports 2 state flippers (assuming you have the hardware), but L5 doesn’t have Run the Red light display.

#10362 4 years ago

I'll second that. I have a new PinSound DMD Lux and a PIN2DMD in my Getaway, and it is great. The board is extremely well engineered, and it even looks great (although nobody ever sees it). It will work with any DMD (Standard, ColorDMD, PIN2DMD, etc.) and it only generates a fraction of the heat of the OEM or other aftermarket boards. This means better longevity for the board and less heat overall in the backbox which is always a good thing.

Also, one of the easiest things to replace in a pin. Literally takes 5 minutes or less.

DMDLux.jpgDMDLux.jpg

#10366 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Do you really need this for $100? Thanks.

I would say you need it if your current board fails, or if the heat in you backbox is excessive, but otherwise you don’t need to replace a good working DMD controller. I replaced mine because I wanted to support PinSound given all the things I do with them, and I was the first one to test the board with a PIN2DMD. As a result, I was able to give them the feedback they needed so that they could sell with confidence to those with PIN2DMD units since they had already tested with all of the other DMD options out there.

#10374 4 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Theres no such thing as an alternate translight that doesn't look ugly and gaudy as hell for getaway

I strongly disagree.
Getaway (resized).jpgGetaway (resized).jpg

Seriously, here is my custom backglass (not a translite). Can you see the differences (there are 3 main ones)?
Getaway.jpgGetaway.jpg

#10375 4 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

I did a couple different ones with a Diablo but I didn't like the look as much. The Diablos on the DMD and the playfield are a little nondescript, so I didn't mind the slight modification (as long as it wasn't a Ferrari!).
Our local police don't make a habit of using Apache gunships to follow speeders, so I didn't mind using an image of an actual police helicopter. Again, I was removing the tie-in to the Apache by changing the translight anyway, but changing it to an Apache would be pretty easy if I wanted to do it.
At a minimum I wanted to get a mountain road, red Lambo, police car(s), and an actual police helicopter.
Here's one with a Diablo (SV Edition), freeway overpass, mountains, and helicopter.
[quoted image]

I do appreciate your artistic ability. How are you creating your artwork (e.g. application used, custom graphics vs. modified stock images, etc.)?

My issue with an alternate translate (assuming I would want to change) is that my OCD would not allow me to utilize the stock light board due to bulb positioning. It would turn into a massive project for me that I just don't care to undertake.

#10376 4 years ago
Quoted from Flippingr8:

Got my Lighted Pinball Mods Lighted Speaker Panel kit installed correctly (finally) today; looks great. Word of advice - be careful with the power tap hookup to make sure that it is installed correctly. I wasn't as careful as I should have been and it caused problems at first.
[quoted image]

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

You should add some whites to that backbox. The colors wash all the graphics out imo.

Not to be overly critical, but you might want to consider working on the backbox lighting before you end up in the Rainbow Puke thread. Then again, if that's the way you like it, it is your pin. Here is where I shared my current setup, and you can see others in the same area of posts.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/204#post-5404964

I've messed around with lighting ad nauseam, until I've settled with this for quite some time now. Primarily cool white, warm white for inside of car, red for car, and blue for choppers. All flashers are cool white. I also added a bulb at the bottom to better illuminate the license plate.

#10381 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Lit kingpin license plate and headlights. Can’t find the 3rd mod.

Neither of those is correct (I did add a license plate light). All of the changes are in the artwork itself.

#10385 4 years ago

Ding! Ding!

I thought that would be easy.

#10386 4 years ago

Oops, one more (I forgot about the black subtitle).

Hint - look at the lower left part of the glass (the copyright police would not be happy with me).

#10393 4 years ago

Well, let the fun begin. Just went to play a game I have an opto 1 error. However, when I enter the SC ramp, my ball just goes left and returns instead of through the SC (that's not opto 1). Hopefully a loose gray wire on the opto column, but I guess I'll dig in to see what I can find tomorrow.

#10395 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, let the fun begin. Just went to play a game I have an opto 1 error. However, when I enter the SC ramp, my ball just goes left and returns instead of through the SC (that's not opto 1). Hopefully a loose gray wire on the opto column, but I guess I'll dig in to see what I can find tomorrow.

Looks like all 5 opto pairs are dead in switch testing. No bad wire connections at any of the 10 optos. Looks like they all share a green/gray wire so off to trace that next.

Just figured out that the other 3 switches in that column that share the green/gray register okay (3 bottom left bank targets), so it is just the optos failing.

#10397 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Could it be the opto board under the playfield?

I’m wondering, but don’t really know how to test it.

BTW, another odd issue. When I go to SC test, normally a matrix is shown with magnet and opto status. Now, the labels are all there but the statuses are all blank (typically optos show as open or closed, and the mags also show there state).

In individual switch tests, all optos show open and will not close when path is blocked.

#10398 4 years ago

Okay, more data. I opened the backbox and F103 is blown on the PDB. I replaced it, and it immediately blows when power is turned on.

Any ideas? Could this possibly be an accelerator board issue instead of opto board?

#10401 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I saw these engine start buttons today at the local electrical shop , I used to have a key start mod , has anyone used one of these engine start buttons , I think they would look really cool . If it's already been said and done my apologies[quoted image]

I like the idea. I have a key now, but the problem is that no matter how tight I seem to get it, guests always have trouble turning the key (it catches a little) and they end up rotating the barrel.

Something like one of these should be cheap, easy to install, and cool:

https://www.amazon.com/Etopars-Momentary-Headlight-Button-Stainless/dp/B07MK2394L/ref=sr_1_34

https://www.amazon.com/ESUPPORT-Stainless-Symbol-Button-Waterproof/dp/B00ZR7MOU0/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_3_dp

#10405 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Funny you should ask because I put in an order for one like this today. I have the key mod, but I don't want some douche taking off with the key at TPF. So, I'm sticking to the button when the machine is out in public. Another option is use some sort of adhesive in the key hole to bind the key in place. Maybe hot glue? I fear that the thinner adhesive material i.e. Super Glue would flow to other components in the shaft and keep the keep from turning altogether.

Which one did you buy?

Also, I’ll be at TPF on Saturday, looking forward to seeing your Getaway.

#10406 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

If you are not getting 12 volts to the accelerator board it can blow the 50 volt fuse for the magnets. Check the 12 volts on the PDB. Also check the connections at J116, J117 and J118.

You’re a genius - nailed it!

So I first checked incoming voltage to accel board and it was dead. Removed plug from J115 on PDB which is what drives it and checked board voltage and it was good. Then I noticed that I had a wire harness on J115 to power my Pinduino and the connector leading to the accel board plugged into that. So, I checked voltage at the harness connector and it was bad. Removed harness, redid the wire crimp (the type where the wire just pushes down from the top into a channel that cuts the insulation and makes a connection with the wire), retested voltage successfully, put new fuse in and powered on without blowing it, tested all optos and SC successfully, then played a game and now I’m back in business.

Thank you for your expertise, and taking the time to help me. (btw, that’s not me kissing you - just someone you love putting a smile on your face).

#10407 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

From your links it looks like you're in Oz , go to Jaycar and check them out , they're very cheap

Sorry, but I’m not understanding your Australian language. I’m in Texas, USA, and those are Amazon links for ones less than $10 (what I would consider cheap).

BTW, love the Tasmanian Devil.

#10409 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Which one what? The key mod or start engine button?

Start button, the one you said you just ordered (I have the Mezel key mod).

#10412 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Ordered it off amazon. Should be here tomorrow. I'll install and show everyone how it looks - or even works for that matter.

I figured as much, but there are several on there - just wandering which one you chose. I can wait until you get it installed if you don't want to share yet. Theoretically, should work just fine so hopefully pretty straight forward for you.

#10415 4 years ago
Quoted from Nick_C:

This menu is referring to the super charger correct? Shouldn't they all be enabled?
I end up trying one of those big coils, not sure if it was just it's time or not.
I am having the typical problem with the diverter ramp closing too early so the ball hits the end of it and goes back down the ramp. I added springs, changed the link, cleaned the shaft and plunger. I am wondering if the switches closed when they shouldn't be and the fact that the coils are disabled has anything to do with it.
Thanks in advance[quoted image]

The way the menu works is that you can test the magnets one at a time, two at a time, or all three. Therefore, you control the enabled/disabled status. Enter the mode by pressing the right button then you the center buttons to scroll through the various enable/disable options. Make the setting you desire, then roll a ball through the supercharger to see if that/those magnets are working. As the ball passes by the relevant opto, you will also see it close and open.

FYI, this does not set the magnet status during actual game play (all 3 will always be working), only during testing.

#10417 4 years ago
Quoted from Nick_C:

Thank you for clarifying that, makes sense.

Now, I am concerned about your opto status. If there is no ball shooting through there, the optos status should be "closed" then "open" as something passes by and breaks the line of site between the transmitting and receiving optos. If you think your SC is not performing well, then the issue could be bad optos. As the ball passes the opto, it briefly fires the magnet. So, if the opto isn't working, the corresponding magnet will not fire.

You can easily test by removing the cover of the super charger and passing a business card between the optos to see how they perform. There are 3 sets in the SC, 1 set on the ramp entering the SC, and one set at the right of the SC loop.

You can test the optos individually in the single switch test. You can see the 5 opto switch numbers in the far right column (#81, 82, 83, 84, 85)

These are known to go bad over time, so if one is not performing correctly you should first check the wiring and the opto terminals to make sure nothing has come loose, and if connections are good then I would just replace them (a fairly simple soldering job).

See the #37 & #38 dots here for locations.

#10419 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Sometimes the opto's just need a good clean too

Well, yes . . . didn't mean to get ahead of myself. Mine had obviously never been replaced, so after two failed I just replaced all 5 sets about 3 years ago and haven't had a single issue with them since.

#10421 4 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Hey Guys,
Been away for quite a while, did you miss me ? I see i have missed quite a few posts over the last year or so.

Of course, we missed you. Welcome back. Hope the absence was by choice and not some life altering event.

#10424 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Welcome back! My collection has changed quite a bit since I picked up the Getaway as my second game. Up to 8 now

Hoarder!

#10432 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Ordered it off amazon. Should be here tomorrow. I'll install and show everyone how it looks - or even works for that matter.

Any update on the start button install?

#10437 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

[quoted image]

Loving the color scheme on your pin - I also really dig the shifter!

#10438 4 years ago

Okay then, I'm going to order this one and give it a try. It has a larger 22mm barrel (the hole is 24mm), so I'm thinking it should fit a little better (plus I like the black).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071QWNBFN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

#10439 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Looks great. Wonder if anyone has ever replaced the gauge below it w a real gauge? My gauge decal got damaged with a lock bar so be great to hide this area. Thanks.

You could just re-decal the front (might not look good, however, with the rest of the cab depending upon how much fade you have). I can give you the source if interested that would professionally print you one.

#10441 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Interesting how years ago everyone wanted to convert to turn key start mod...... I did a push button start on Mustang but like the checkpoint style key on Getaway.

I like the key, it's just that it is a pain in 3 ways:

1) The key can go missing with kids and guests.
2) No matter what I do to lubricate the key sticks often and requires force to turn.
3) When guests have this problem they just turn with more force and the barrel always seems to be rotated some no matter how often I re-adjust it and how tight I make it.

Once I have my push button installed, I'll be happy to sell my Mezel version (at a discount, of course).

#10447 4 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Understood however the checkpoint key start mechanism is one piece and key can’t be removed from game.Also no binding issues ...

Sorry, I wasn't understanding what you were saying originally. So Checkpoint has the turning key mech and you just adapted it to Getaway, and the key is non-removable?

#10448 4 years ago
Quoted from Nick_C:

I had originally thought that the supercharger was not working correctly, one of the magnets smoked the last time, I replaced it seems to work good now.
I just bought that very game, picking it up Friday, this will give me more time to try it out.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks to be in pretty nice shape - congrats!

#10457 4 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071QWNBFN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

Well, this button is a "no go" for two reasons: 1) It requires that some washer be designed for it in order to not just fall in the larger outside hole (something I could definitely 3D print if I wanted) or it is just too far recessed, and 2) it is not deep enough, so no way to get the nut on the back.

#10458 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

amazon.com link »
This is the one I have installed. Only thing I don't like is that it doesn't light up. But it fits and works perfectly.

Looking more closely at yours it looks like it sits recessed into the larger hole, but still extends out - is this correct? Did you figure out how to wire the light?

#10460 4 years ago

I new Getaway owner recently asked if I could make a roadway decal for the large clear plastic above the ball lock. He referenced this post from TheOnlyest which I had somehow overlooked: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/99#post-3584841

After PM'ing @TheOnlyest, he graciously agreed to allow me to reproduce and sell roadway decals for this plastic. I stylized the graphic some, and created a reverse decal to be adhered to the underside of the plastic. I figured this was the best approach since it would give the appearance of an OEM plastic and since many of us affix cars to the top the underside decal would not be damaged in the process.

I create these decals using my typical high quality materials and process, and round cut the corners to better align with the plastic. For installation simply remove the plastic from the game (2 screws), clean the bottom of the plastic, remove the adhesive backing from the top of the roadway decal, carefully align, then "roll" decal on from one end to the other applying even pressure (a small squeegee or credit card is perfect for this). After the decal is applied you'll need to use a razor knife to cut out the screw holes (I don't pre-cut the holes as some plastics may not align the same). When done, re-install the new decaled plastic and enjoy!

I'm offering these for $12 each including US Postage ($15 for outside US). As always, please PM me if interested in purchasing.

IMG_3567 (resized).JPGIMG_3567 (resized).JPGIMG_3568 (resized).JPGIMG_3568 (resized).JPGIMG_3569 (resized).JPGIMG_3569 (resized).JPGIMG_3570 (resized).JPGIMG_3570 (resized).JPGIMG_3571 (resized).JPGIMG_3571 (resized).JPGIMG_3572 (resized).JPGIMG_3572 (resized).JPG
#10463 4 years ago

BTW, if anyone has a ratted original SC decal and would like to replace with the same, I make these reproductions for $15 shipped. Just PM if interested.

IMG_3573 (resized).JPGIMG_3573 (resized).JPG
#10467 4 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Using the level on the right side of the playfield, what have yall found is the best slope/angle/setup for this game?
Sorry if this is common knowledge. ‍♂️

The "PinGuy" app works perfectly for this. Download for free from relevant phone brand store, put on level surface and calibrate, then place in center of playfield (glass off) and app will help you calibrate side-to-side and front-to-back levelling. What's nice is that the voice on the app continually calls out both axis levelling measurements, so you can be under the pin correcting the leg adjustments without having to continually bob up and down to check level.

6.5 degrees is perfect for this game IMO.

#10469 4 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Still no Android version as far as I can tell

Oh, sorry. That was an assumption on my part.

So, to modify my previous post, download the app on your iPhone or find a relative/friend who has an iPhone and invite them over to play pinball. Before you get started tell them about this cool app you heard about and have them download it so you can show them. In the process of demonstrating the cool app, actually level your pin - they'll just think you are giving them some real insight what it's like to own a pinball machine.

#10478 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

It's skillfull, but mismatched like most of the other ones that make use of photorealistic art. Getaway is NOT NOT NOT photorealistic. No matter how skillful the maker. Please apply your skill to matched art and I am sure the result will be great!

I would concur with this. I've seen a variety of Getaway alternate translites that have been well done composition and quality wise (this one is quite original and well done artistically), but I would really like to see something that was in more of the overall style of the artwork on the game. Call it "cartoonish" maybe, but defiantly not photo-realistic.

#10482 4 years ago

Do you need me to call 911 . . . looks like your vehicle rolled over on its side!

Wait a minute, you appear to be upright in that last pic - whew, glad you are safe (honestly, I was more concerned about the pin than your well-being).

With that out of the way, congratulations! We have a great club hear: passionate owners, experienced technical insight, a multitude of owner created mods (shameless self-promoting plug), and we even like to take friendly jabs at each other on occasion.

#10503 4 years ago

Got this idea from another post somewhere, but thought I'd give it a try. However, I upgraded to the Comet 20 SMD strip (10 SMD was recommended). Gives some nice backlighting on the wall. Position pic is actually on my JP, but on my Getaway I adhered the light strip to the top of the cabinet.
IMG_3694 (resized).JPGIMG_3694 (resized).JPGIMG_3693 (resized).JPGIMG_3693 (resized).JPG

#10504 4 years ago

I've had Comet frosted LEDs in my SC sign for quite some time, so since I was placing an order for other things I decided to try their non-ghosting faceted bulbs (yellow & red): https://www.cometpinball.com/products/faceted-non-ghosting. I actually like these better with the clear dome instead of the frosted white, and they are quite bright.

IMG_3588 (resized).JPGIMG_3588 (resized).JPGSC.gifSC.gif
#10505 4 years ago

For those of you who have been missing out on the greatness of PinSound, now is your chance (I just received this promo email):

Hundreds of machines everywhere, thousands of pinball friends, a fantastic venue in Texas, ... It should have happened this weekend. A huge shoutout for all the hard work and effort done by the TPF team! For every order placed from Friday to Sunday on our shop, we will donate 5% to the Texas Pinball Festival to help them recoup their costs and investments.

For now, as we all have to stay safe, here are our special deals from our virtual PinSound TPF booth:

buy 1 PinSound Ultimate Pack and get free shipping on your order - coupon code TPF20ULTIMATE
buy 1 PinSound+ sound board, get 1 Headphones Station for free - coupon code TPF20HPS
buy 1 DMDLux, get a No More Reset for free - coupon code TPF20LUX

Deals only valid from Friday 27 to Sunday 29 March

#10513 4 years ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

Well one good thing that came out of this is I finally have my getaway done. Titan Rubbers, Comet LED’s, LED flipper buttons, trough LED strip, and a few stickers.
Question I never looked into before, what does everyone do with their old incandescent bulbs? I have about 250 of all types from two machines.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice and clean looking Getaway!

As far as incandescent bulbs, mine all sat in a box for about two years in my walk-in attic until I cleaned stuff out a few months ago and they all went in the trash.

#10515 4 years ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

The cabinet is a bit rough but the playfield (diamond plated) is in great shape and now is playing super fast that is is all cleaned up!

Even though as many of these pins were made as there were (13,259 of them), it is pretty seldom that the cabinets aren't beat up or at least terribly faded.

#10517 4 years ago
Quoted from Brich:

Looking for a topper/siren for my getaway if anyone has one!

You mean the beacon light? If so, do you just need the red plastic dome or the entire assembly (motor, dome, etc.)?

#10525 3 years ago
Quoted from Globalcop:

This has been my daily driver for over a year and I just realized the significance.[quoted image]

Sweet! "...Suspect ran a red light, over."

#10527 3 years ago
Quoted from bendowswell:

I'm the proud new owner of a Getaway pinball machine but unfortunately have run into my first problem. The upper right flipper is now stuck in the "up" position. I took the the glass of and forced it back down. When I started playing again, after about 15 flips, it slowly starts to travel back to the "up" position where it gets stuck again.
Think I should do a full flipper re-build? I don't know anything about pinball machine repair, have never actually lifted the whole playfield up before. However, I've got some time off work so this might be a good time to learn!
Any help is very appreciated. Thanks!

So, if you move it up by hand it doesn’t return to the down position? Most likely something came loose and is out of alignment or the sleeve or linkage is gummed up and needs to be cleaned. Another issue could be if the coil has swelled this putting more pressure on the coil sleeve.

#10529 3 years ago
Quoted from bwl1706:

We've had a Getaway sat in our house for a few years now, and have finally got around to fixing a few niggles now that we're stuck at home in quarantine. We've replaced all of the rubbers and broken lamps, and fixed a couple of switch issues, but that has all been done by common sense and guesswork, and we've got a few issues left which I think require a bit more expertise.
The manual says that 4th gear supercharger mode should be a 2 ball multiball, but the machine doesn't ever release a second ball, or even make any noise indicating that it is trying to launch it. There are no other problems with launching balls in any other situation, including normal multiball.
Also, the big red light on top never lights or rotates, instead there is a very loud crack each time we think it is trying to activate. What is the most sensible order for me to approach troubleshooting? Happy to be pointed to another post if helpful, I had a quick search but wasn't able to find anything about a crack noise.

I’ve never heard of 4th gear being a multi ball. That’s supercharger mode, and I don’t see where in that section Of the manual where it refers to a 2 ball multi ball (page XI).

#10531 3 years ago
Quoted from bwl1706:

Page V of this version https://www.ipdb.org/files/1000/Williams_1992_The_Getaway_High_Speed_II_English_Manual_with_OCR.pdf says that 4th gear awards supercharger mode which is a 2 ball multiball, I assumed that it was standard. After I posted I saw reference in an older post to it being specific to a certain software version, but I have no idea how to go about anything software related.[quoted image]

Ah, it see that in mine on that page too.

I don’t see that feature listed in the ROM version posts I’ve seen in here either.

Going to need someone with more historical experience than me to comment on it.

Just found this, whatever P7 is: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-correct-code#post-850333

Maybe it was in the pre-release but taken out and they forgot to remove the reference in the manual.

#10533 3 years ago
Quoted from bwl1706:

Is it just standard for it to be a 20 second timer and a single ball then?
Don't suppose you have any suggestions on things to check relating to the red light?

Yes, I think that is standard (you may be able to adjust the mode time in settings).

Sorry, but I be not had any issues with my beacon light.

You can see what happens in test mode. If it still fails, visually check the wiring connections, and put a meter on it to see if it is getting correct voltage. If voltage is correct the may be a frozen/bad motor.

#10549 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Finale will premiere tonight, everyone! Mr. Tantrum will be getting a lot of shout outs due to the mods. lol.

Looking forward to seeing your awesome restoration.

#10551 3 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Can someone confirm the ball trap bracket I need? I cleaned my playfield and now occasionally when I hit the left orbit while the ramp is down, it will shoot off the ramp and end up stuck just behind where the ball lock (donut heaven) area is. I'm guessing the part I need is Marco Specialties 01-10904, bracket ball trap. Can someone confirm? Thanks!

If you are referring to the one mounted on the right side of the SC loop, then #01-10904 is indeed the part you need (same exact one I purchased). You can just see mine behind the Lambo in this pic with the slippery road sign decal on it.

b8200457f9327f6cd31127c93892dad30ed95957 (resized).jpgb8200457f9327f6cd31127c93892dad30ed95957 (resized).jpg
#10555 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Finale will premiere tonight, everyone! Mr. Tantrum will be getting a lot of shout outs due to the mods. lol.

Fantastic video. Thanks for sharing your journey with us, and the game looks absolutely fabulous! I love all of your personal touches to the game.

#10558 3 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

That is the bracket I was thinking of, but now that I'm looking at it, I'm not sure it would help my issue. What is that supposed to prevent? Here's where my ball keeps getting stuck:[quoted image]

I don't understand how this can even happen. You're definitely going to have to get a video of it to see exactly how it is happening.

#10560 3 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

I tried to get a video of the ball hopping the wire form, but couldn't replicate the error. Guess it was some extreme luck that it happened 2 games in a row!

I'm sure if you have to take the glass off a few more times, you'll be wanting to figure out a fix. For now, play and enjoy!

#10571 3 years ago
Quoted from rickyrooroo:

What should I look for with a weak plunger kicker that won't get the ball into the playfield. It doesn't happen every time, but mainly during multiball. Any ideas?

I had a weak plunger problem a couple of years ago, and my issue ended up being that the nylon cylinder that sits inside the bell armature assembly (aka the plunger), had broken loose inside of the metal housing. I tried to repair it to no avail, but a new part from Marco's and the issue has been resolved ever since (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-15709). FYI, this is the one for the Kickback plunger (left lane): https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-6306-2

So, I would see if you can move the tip that extends out of the armature by hand (rotate and/or in and out), and it you can then its time to replace it.

#10587 3 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Finally got around to finishing up some mods. Designed my own traffic light and a supercharger ramp sign replacement that uses 1" inserts.
My shifter surround was rather sad looking too so I came up with a shaft/knob/surround replacement. The shift knob has a translucent insert (with a small inset bull logo) that hooks into the shift lamp and gives you a visual indicator on the knob when it's time to shift.
Everything is available in my pinside store now.
Now with those all done I can finally play my game again lol.[quoted image][quoted image]

I kind of like the SC ramp sign face. I may try one with my custom SC sign, but I think that 3/4” inserts would look better than the 1” ones (may have to grind the depth down on the inserts some).

#10590 3 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Hard to see by the photo but my sign replaces the entire assembly. You just reuse the PCBs, so the inserts are flush with the front. 1” inserts are what I have on hand, but 3/4” might be nice too.

Yes, I did see that, but I like my UV reactive backplate, and a matching face might look good.

#10594 3 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

Here's something kinda fun. Check out the red/blue apron lights during video mode and multiball (at 20 second mark and again at the 2 minute marks). Please excuse the sloppy gameplay with a camera between me and the pin.

That's pretty cool. How did you achieve it (or are you going to be selling as a mod)?

#10598 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

What did you use to remove the old decal? Hair dryer? I have had mine for six months, still haven't installed it. Thanks.

Hairdryer or heat gun on low if you are careful. Just warm the entire decal to loosen the adhesive and remove in a single piece (if you do mess it up, I do sell replicas if you want to keep an “original”). Clean surface, test fit new decal, remove backing, start at one end aligning the top, and then apply pressure to entire height of decal to prevent air bubbles as you progress horizontally until the decal is fully applied.

#10600 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

new one right on top of the old one

That’s one way to do it.

#10601 3 years ago

Just finished my second set of Getaway 3D flipper toppers: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-ampamp-high-speed-3d-flipper-toppers#post-5605312

These are a road design and come ready to install. Current price is $15 for the set of 3 including US shipping. As always, please PM me if interested in purchasing.

IMG_3815 (resized).JPGIMG_3815 (resized).JPGIMG_3813 (resized).JPGIMG_3813 (resized).JPGIMG_3814 (resized).JPGIMG_3814 (resized).JPGIMG_3812 (resized).JPGIMG_3812 (resized).JPG
#10603 3 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

the theme of HS2 doesn't involve a race track.

Drive's me crazy when mod makers try to apply items with racing themes to this game. Getway does not have a racing theme. Rather, it has a chasing theme.

#10606 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I still love the regular ones you make. Don't forget to show those

They are both in the market linked to The Getaway, and I'm still making both.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/74086

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/94888

#10608 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

This one comes in a red and black as well. Love mine!

I'm all about custom colors. I'd do purple and pink if somebody asked for it.

#10616 3 years ago

So, for the last few years I've been making custom plastics for Getaway along with other games on occasion as people have asked. My process has evolved to where I still have to hand cut the plastic using a pneumatic tool along with sanding which takes a lot of time, breaks a lot of cutting disks, and results in less than perfect curves and edges. Additionally, it is often difficult to hand drill in the exact location as designed, so holes can sometimes be a little off center. I've always done my best on the pieces I sell, but just felt like I could do a little better.

As a result, I recently decided to buy a budget friendly CNC machine. It arrived on Friday, and I immediately put it together and started learning how to cut things on it. The biggest challenge was figuring out what software to use for the various elements and how to convert my plastic shapes originally designed in Photoshop to a format where they can be converted to g-code. That took me a couple of days (Photoshop to Illustrator to DXF to Easel to G-Code), so then I started cutting. I've been trying for the last 3 days, but was yet to produce a successful plastic. After a ton of searching I came across a thread here on Pinside from 4 years ago where a guy posted a video producing a CNC cut plastic. I PM'd him for some pointers, he responded, I took his advice and produced my first successful plastic.

All of that to say that I now have the process down, and moving forward those who purchase any of my mods with plastics (left target bank, center target bank, and 3D mountain mod) will now receive a machine cut part. My decal process remains the same with application to the underside of the plastic.
IMG_3834.JPGIMG_3834.JPGIMG_3835.JPGIMG_3835.JPG

#10619 3 years ago

I've finally have brown filament again after it has been unavailable for several weeks if anyone is interested in purchasing a mountain mod: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/85454

#10629 3 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

Never mind, I guess that I need to learn patience

That's for sure. I put custom messages on all my pins, but is quite the pain.

#10631 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Agreed and for me it wasn't wroth the effort unless you sit and wait for it to scroll to the message... I did it once and forgot to replace my batteries before I installed NVRAM

I like to put fun messages about my son. Jurassic Park is his favorite, “T-REX THINKS ZANE TASTES LIKE CHICKEN”

1 week later
#10638 3 years ago
Quoted from peteyhugs:

No Luck, not seeing any scale to fit.

Of course you could just buy a high quality set from me for $10 and be done with it: http://thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball

4 weeks later
#10674 3 years ago
Quoted from ajnin:

I finally installed my Pinduino. Thanks to lyonsden for shipping the unit and mr_tantrum for his getaway code. Its looks fantastic. I got the DIY kit and its fairly easy if you can solder a little bit.
[quoted image]

Sweetness!

#10675 3 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Joined the club today. Needs a little TLC but nice example.[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Congrats, pin looks very nice.

#10677 3 years ago

These cling on protectors from Titan Pinball are great for protecting the decals around the buttons. I have them on all my games.

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=138

#10680 3 years ago
Quoted from Iceman:

Hi everyone I just joined the club. I got a nice machine but it has a problem. Once a game has started without lauching the ball if i hit the flipper i get points. And if I hit the flippers rapidly the diverter on the ramp opens and closes and it gives me 2 million points. It acts like the accelerator is working. In test mode all switches look good and register hits. The optos for the ramp and it the accelerator are closed. I have no Idea what could be causing this. Any advise? Thanks

I had a similar issue when I purchased mine 4 years ago: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/52#post-3180197

Most likely the vibration of the flipper coils firing is triggering a switch or switches.

First thing to do is to go into go into switch test mode, activate your flippers, and see if/what switches are reacting. Then check these switches (wiring is soldered well, switch screws are tight, test them by hand to see if/how sensitive they are, etc.)

2 weeks later
#10696 3 years ago

Just finished cleaning mine up. Full playfield strip and some cabinet clean up. Comet LEDs. Time to put it in the lineup.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice looking original (from what I can tell) example of Getaway.

#10698 3 years ago

Thank you. Game is pretty original except for the HAPP coin door. Pretty easy game to shop I must say. Tons of metal to polish but no ramps to flame.

Photo tip . . . You might want to close the door to the water closet next time you’re showing off a pin. I’m just glad nobody was on the throne.

#10703 3 years ago

Interesting. For US buyers, it might be easier if one person bought several and had them shipped here, then they could ship from within the US. Rather than every buyer having to pay around $20 for shipping, if enough ordered it would only be around $5.

#10707 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

So, why don't the two of us take the role of that proxy?
US buyers pay the seller directly for the product and have it sent to me.
Buyers pay me the idle fraction of the shipping cost and I relay it to you, registered parcel.
Buyers then pay local shipping to you and you distribute.
I will gladly do that, but I will not assume liability for anything happening with the shipment (damage or loss).

I’m happy to do that at long as the volume justifies it, or a simpler solution is for me to take commitments and pay you one time lump sum (only one transaction for end-users that way, and much simpler for maker to process orders). Would obviously need to know a few things first:

- cost of part
- number of US commitments
- shipping to me based upon that quantity
- shipping to US for quantity of 1 to deem if it’s worth it for everyone to not just buy direct themselves.

I would not add any markup for my time. I would just pass through the cost of the part and whatever shipping expenses are (padded envelope/box and postage).

1 week later
#10710 3 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Anyone know how to connect gator clips to a board so I can hook up a blinking like to the freeway light? Got the mod from g-money mods for the freeway sign.
But the freeway light is in a board. I don't know how to hook this light up to that light so it flashes when freeway flashes.
Help?

Well, I clip on to GI socket leads all the time, but if on a circuit board you might have to break out the soldier gun. Only other thing I can think of would be to strip the ends of the wires, twist them, insert them into the socket where they touch the two leads, then insert the wedge bulb where it would hold the wires in with pressure. If that works, you might want to use a little hot melt glue to secure the bulb into the socket so it doesn't pop out with the extra pressure.

#10717 3 years ago

My assumption is that when the coil fires it lowers the rod, and when power is removed it pops back up.

You may need to check/clean/replace the coil sleeve to make sure you are getting smooth movement. I would also check the overall assembly to make sure nothing is binding.

1 week later
#10723 3 years ago
Quoted from curban:

My getaway lift ramp doesn’t have the flap at the base. I’m wondering how important this piece is.
Also (and maybe it’s related). If I catch the ball on the right flipper and hit a perfect shot around the ‘orbit’ when the ramp is down...the ball doesn’t make it up the ramp. Should it? The only ways to make that ramp are either: from the lower right flipper with a perfect shot when the ball already has momentum, or 2) from the upper right flipper.
I’m wondering if my flipper is weak?

Two issues might be related. Right flipper should have plenty of power when cradling to make ramp and lock a ball. My ramp didn’t have a flap when I first bought it and I had similar issues. Someone along the line had bent the end of the ramp downward to at least make contact with the playfield, but it was clunky. I eventually disassembled, flattened the ramp, and installed a flap. All was right with the world after that (until the next issue came along).

Also, how about a photo from directly above your flippers at rest so we can determine if alignment is correct?

Has this pin had a flipper rebuild in recent history? Photos of the lower flipper mechs from under the playfield might help determine if a rebuild is needed.

If I’m insulting your pin intelligence on the flipper stuff, I apologize. Just never know what an owner’s experience is.

#10725 3 years ago
Quoted from curban:

So, the right flipper is obviously misaligned. In unflipped position, it is clearly too high. I always figured the misalignment would mess up the angles but wouldn’t necessarily affect ‘oomph’. Now that You mention it through, I think it could very well impact the power at that specific angle. Let me start with that, since that’s the easiest adjustment.
Flipper rebuild: I got the machine last January and it was dirty and beat up. I did change all coil sleeves, but mechanically I thought the flippers were otherwise in decent condition (but I’m definitely not the best judge).
The ramp is not bent but sits very close to flush with the Playfield. The ball seems to roll up the ramp fairly smoothly.

I'd start with flipper alignment. If you're confident that the flipper assemblies move freely and are not binding or sticking in any way, then I'd say you are good there. As far as the ramp goes, take the glass off and roll the ball over it by hand. If it clanks or bounces then are always going to lose some momentum. When you say you can't make the shot with your right flipper, is it close? 1/2 way 3/4 way up? If so, the lack of a smooth transition up the ramp could possibly be the difference from making the shot or not.

Here is my flipper setup. In this case I aligned parallel with return rails instead of using holes like my other games. Just felt the flippers were too droopy otherwise.

Getaway (resized).jpgGetaway (resized).jpg

1 month later
#10734 3 years ago

I don't usually bag on things just to be mean, but this made me laugh and cry at the same time.

My Mountain Mod ($100 including shipping)
moutain (resized).jpgmoutain (resized).jpg

Pinball Center Mountain Mod ($120 Euros + shipping)
image_65191_1_600x600 (resized).jpgimage_65191_1_600x600 (resized).jpg

#10737 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Pinball center is known to have very questionable quality on a few items. This is a beautiful example

They are mostly high quality items from what I see, but this one is something else.

Quoted from pinballjah:

"hand crafted" lol, priceless

Yeah, as a Kindergarten project (reminds me of the clay ashtray I made for my dad all those years ago). Looks even more hideous when installed, and what is up with the entrance size & orientation?
image_65191_2_600x600 (resized).jpgimage_65191_2_600x600 (resized).jpg

#10739 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Trust me. I have ordered a lot there, due to the german legal right of returning within 2 weeks after receipt and the competivive pricepoint. Within the range of german shops they are definitely the low end to my experience. Their LEDs are decent, anything art related is usually average or worse. Plastics mixed, Stickers and decals a disaster. I have also had mxed experience with some of the assembly spare parts. Some wouldn't even fit at all.

Good insight, thanks.

#10744 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Hi, fellow high speeders. I’m joining the club soon, and I have a question about a chip that appears to be missing from the board. I think it’s U12? I’m attaching a pic below. Maybe one of you Getaway experts know what this is, if it’s essential or a non-issue. From what I know, the game is in very nice shape and plays 100%. No known glitches. It has a Pinsound board added. Otherwise no alterations to the boards. But this chip appears to be missing/removed.
Thank you for your time and assistance!
[quoted image]

That's the Dot Matrix Controller board. Sometimes U12 is populated and sometimes not, but there is no difference in functionality.

2 weeks later
#10749 3 years ago
Quoted from matiou:

I joined the club few days ago! Super happy about it... love the game, love the theme, and the family does too, which is an awesome bonus
Unfortunately one issue I found quite quickly... Yesterday my son starts a game, goes right away into the "burn rubber bonus" and gets a multiball... cool, but... he got the "endless multiball" bug (I run L2)... then of course he got "loop champion" "special is lit" "replay" and so on... It kinda spoiled some of these cool stuff you're supposed to see only when you get very good at a game.
Even if I have not read the 215 pages of this thread I know there is a lot of discussion about the best ROM to use, and I know there is no easy answer to this question... frustrating! Does this bug happens often with L2 ??? Is this bug happening only with this bonus MB or also when you successfully lock the 3 balls ?

L2 is the best ROM for the game in most people's opinion. I will say, that I've been running L2 for 4+ years, and in that time I've experience the bug 4 or 5 times in hundreds of games. Regardless, it has been rare for me (oddly enough, it mostly occurred early on after installing L2). In those moments when it does occur, I just turn the pin off and consider that game lost. Not always easy to have others do the same when so much is going on, however.

Here is an explanation, but it might make your head spin: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin#post-1407053

#10752 3 years ago
Quoted from matiou:

I'm glad to hear this multiball bug happens rarely... because it really sucks.

Well, that's at least my experience. Others will need to chime in. I think the second most popular is L5 which I don't think has that particular bug, but others and you lose features.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin#post-1407040

#10757 3 years ago

Also, all orchestrations for Getaway are located here for free download (currently 30 custom orchestrations): http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/22-getaway

If you can't find at lease one orchestration you like from these selections, there's probably not much hope for you (I refuse to do a country music or opera theme).

I've been revisiting my 80's music recently, and I think this song would be great for the main theme - nice beat and catchy (the opening riff on loop while in the shooter lane would be good too)! However, I don't really want to do a full Robert Palmer / The Power Station mix (only about 4 or 5 songs that I recall being popular, but need 15-16 for a Getaway mix).

#10761 3 years ago

First thought is "What the heck?!" Personally, I would design some sort of vinyl graphic (you mentioned barcode, but maybe something else). Overlay that with a clear gloss vinyl layer for durability and you're good to go.

I'd probably also ditch what appears to be a very poor attempt at DIY mirror blades. Looks like chrome vinyl stuck on top of a giant orange peel.

#10763 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Hahahaha yeah I was thinking along those lines for sure. Nothing I do will ever undo the sheer "WTF?!" that was done to it but if I can make that spot look nicer I will. And I'll definitely be changing a few things on this when I get it home. I hadn't even noticed the sides to be honest, that's pretty amusing.

Hard to tell from your pics, but overall it looks pretty nice.

Whenever you're ready to mod it out hit me up: http://thezumwaltfamily.com/pinball

#10765 3 years ago

Yeah, looks pretty decent from what I can tell. Fingers crossed that the trade goes through as planned and that by next weekend I have this sitting next to my high speed. I'll check out the list of mods, thanks for the link!

I see a credit dot on the DMD. Be sure to figure out the cause of that before you finalize your transaction.

#10770 3 years ago

Lol!
He said the top lock was showing error, but also mentioned the rare ball search while he's trying to hit targets (hitting posts instead) so.... I'm gonna guess it's probably not a big deal, could certainly be from no one locking a ball for a bit..
I can fix anything minor, that's no big deal. I had to fix a disconnected hideout switch and research that same top lock on my friend's when I fixed it up a few weeks ago, easy peasy. I'm trading a demo man + $100 for it so I feel pretty good about it even if it does have a few small things to address. Just don't want nightmarish projects obviously.

Test the supercharger for sure.

1 week later
#10779 3 years ago

Well, I just dropped my 14th Getaway orchestration on the PinSound Community Forum site, and it is awaiting approval. I call this one '80s MTV, as it features songs from the period that had fairly popular music videos (at least once I liked). The main song is Power Station's "Get It On", but features all of these artists/songs:

Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf
Flock of Seagulls - I Ran
Greg Kihn - Jeopardy
Huey Lewis & The News - Heart and Soul
J Geils Band - Centerfold
Joan Jett - I Love Rock N' Roll
Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone
MC Hammer - U Can't Touch This
Modern English - I Melt With You
Pat Benatar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
Power Station - Get It On
Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me
Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Be on the lookout, and I'll try to post when I see that it is available.

#10788 3 years ago

Basement stairs from hell.

I'm not sure which is worse: having games in the basement like you, or having games on the second floor like me. I guess it depends on if you are adding to or taking away from the collection more often (i.e. I've found that going down the stairs is much easier than going up them).

Quoted from nutty:

I bought the Getaway 2 by mistake thought is was the original

Huh? How does this happen?

I have to say, HS2 feels like a way better game. Both are great though!

I don't own HS, but have played it several times. The Getaway is definitely an evolved version of the theme, and the supercharger takes it over the top.

BTW, all High Speed and Getaway owners need to get rid of the checkered flag flipper toppers. This is not a racing/speedway themed pin! Sure it is car themed (not a race car, mind you), but you are on highways running away from the police that are chasing you, and not doing a set number of loops around a track racing against other cars.

Among other choices out there, I offer 2 options for flipper toppers to go with the themes:

Getaway: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/74086
Getaway/High Speed: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/94888

#10792 3 years ago
Quoted from nutty:

Huh? How does this happen?
....... mr_tantrum I was 16 - 18 when I played the High Speed and I was 35 when I bought the Getaway so I sort of forgot what is was called 100% just remember the theme and the Mars Lamp, bought my Getaway on Ebay for £600.00 very cheap compared to now.

I'd say that was quite the bargain!

#10793 3 years ago

I'll probably buy another set of faceted Data East caps

Definitely my style of caps for this game too. I've had the R/Y/G but now I have more of a blue thing going with my Getaway, so I've gone with the DE blue faceted caps (I do have blue brightcaps on my game now, just not in this pic).
RYG.jpgRYG.jpgBlue.jpgBlue.jpg

#10794 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

There are other options out there for flipper toppers also!! It's cool and ok to self advertise, i've done the same myself but sometimes dude it's cool to just kick back and chill also

Sorry, didn't mean to come off that way (just pointing out there are options for these games besides checkered flags). Certainly if you are into flipper toppers there are many other options out there someone might like better than my ideas. Even so, my main point is still valid. Long before I ever started making flipper toppers or put them on my own pin, I just didn't get why people put racing themed decals anywhere on Getaway since the game has nothing to do with racing.

Here are a few others I found, but not sure who else makes them for these games.

- Tilt Graphics (checkered flags): https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/checkered-flipper-topper
- Mezel Mods (checkered flags): https://mezelmods.com/collections/flipper-bat-toppers/products/checkered-flag-flipper-bats-set-of-two-or-three?variant=12676975876
- Laseriffic (Words + Gauges): https://laseriffic.com/collections/flipper-toppers/products/hs-hs2-flipper-toppers

#10796 3 years ago

Swapped the green caps to my taxi for now. As much as I love the BriteCaps, I don't like the fact that the bottom LED array is cool white. It doesn't look good set against my otherwise warm white Taxi, IMO.
Sadly it appears I got a bum red BriteCap also, because I can't get it to respond intermittently in the middle. It's either solid on or solid off. So I set all three to full-time on.
Sucks also that PBL, the only place who sells BriteCaps, doesn't have any more of the yellow faceted lenses. Tons of other places do, but they don't have the BriteCaps.. And I hate making a bunch of orders to multiple places.. lol. First world problems.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You know you can control the intensity on the white light on the underside of the brightcaps, right? Might just be the photo, but looks like you have them full blast (maybe that's what you like). Also, are you sure that the underside light on the red is not just turned off?

In both cases, I had to order my brightcap LEDs from a different supplier than my caps (hated paying the extra shipping, but had to in order to get what I wanted).

#10799 3 years ago
Quoted from nutty:

So they are called DE faceted caps I did wonder where to get them. Can you get those in clear or frosted ? My bumpers change colour to the same as the traffic light.
.... found them
https://pu-parts.com/data-east-sega-stern-pop-bumper-caps_5
so they fit the Getaway ok ?

Yes, these are the Data East style caps. They only come in translucent (clear, red, yellow, green, blue). Yes, they fit perfectly on Williams games.

#10800 3 years ago

Top and bottom intensity are controlled with one pot, so in order to get much on the bottom the top has to be pretty bright, at least from my experience. The bottom array works on all of these, it's just that I can't get the intermittent center light (triggered by impact) to work on this one BriteCap. The others, as well as all others I've owned, all worked fine on that function. Just got a dud, it happens.
I'd kill for independent top/bottom as well as options for the bottom array (warm/cool/sunlight would be sufficient) but I don't expect that to ever become available. I don't think there's enough demand to support such options. But I put these in almost everything I can (World Cup Soccer, Black Knight 2000, High Speed, Getaway, Taxi, Terminator 2, F-14, eventually Space Shuttle) -- I'm doing my part to increase demand! Lol

You're right. I forgot that the one POT controls the outer LEDs (top & bottom), and the other controls the center LED sensitivity. I usually set mine at about half brightness, and I do always color match to my caps which I have found looks best.

I have these installed on my Getaway and red ones on my AFMr LE - I really like how they look and react.

#10805 3 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

I don’t see this in the plastic set. Is the custom made?

Yes, sir. You can PM me if interested. BTW, my original post shows the decal on top, but I now make them with reverse decals applied to the underside to better match the look of the OEM plastics.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/70#post-3415047

#10806 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, I just dropped my 14th Getaway orchestration on the PinSound Community Forum site, and it is awaiting approval. I call this one '80s MTV, as it features songs from the period that had fairly popular music videos (at least once I liked). The main song is Power Station's "Get It On", but features all of these artists/songs:
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf
Flock of Seagulls - I Ran
Greg Kihn - Jeopardy
Huey Lewis & The News - Heart and Soul
J Geils Band - Centerfold
Joan Jett - I Love Rock N' Roll
Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone
MC Hammer - U Can't Touch This
Modern English - I Melt With You
Pat Benatar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
Power Station - Get It On
Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me
Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Be on the lookout, and I'll try to post when I see that it is available.

My latest PinSound orchestration for Getaway (version 14) is now available for download: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/329-getawayhs2-v14_80smtv_customcallouts_mrtantrum

What's next . . . might be time for someone to do a Van Halen orchestration.

#10808 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Stainless steel.
Eur 18, plus eur 4 shipping by unregistered letter on buyers risk. Or eur 37 shipping for bulk to usa and then redistribution.
Only 13 slots left.
mr_tantrum what do you think?
[quoted image]

Well done.

#10810 3 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

It's a longshot but does anyone make a decal for the orange ring around the "Drive Again" insert? I'm picking up a getaway and it has a small chip there. Figure I should look for a decal before working on color matching that orange.

That orange will be impossible to match via a printer (laser or inkjet) due to the limited color gamut of CMYK & CMYK+ print technologies. However, you can nail it with paint. Here is where I documented my playfield repairs: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinside-touch-up-paint-color-thread#post-4826449

#10818 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Could you post a photo of where exactly this piece goes. Thanks.

Quite common for this to break (mine was broken when I bought the pin), and hasn’t been a replacement for years. Most of us end up replacing with an alternative DIY, so nice that these are available for people.

3 weeks later
#10825 3 years ago

If using Photoshop, you should also try utilizing the random fill function when filling with pattern.

#10827 3 years ago

First of all, congrats. pinballjah is a great guy, and quite active here on Pinside. As it relates to the shifter part, I actually designed a 3D printed version for a custom shifter I made. I’d have to do a little redesign for it to work with the original rod, but PM me and we can discuss.

#10830 3 years ago
Quoted from alexred:

The shifter error is common even on a completely working machine. If you tend to only shift the same way each time(up everytime for example), it raises an error until it sees the other switch pushed. Usually just pushing it up and down will resolve the error. If the ball launches when you shift up or down, you may be chasing a non-issue.

To easily test this put the machine in switch test mode and move the gear shift both up and down to see if the switches register. If they do then the issue is most likely exactly what alexred stated (many of us have a tendency to only shift one way or the other). Simply shifting both ways will remove the credit dot (if there even is one) and fix error (may have to reboot pin or play another game). If one of the switches doesn't register, then you can troubleshoot from there (bad switch, loose wire/soldier, etc.)

#10833 3 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

In the absence of a true Van Halen pin, I installed about 20 of my favorite Van Halen tracks into my Getaway.
If you have PinSound in your Getaway you can download and install my Van Halen sound package here if you are interested:
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/335-getawayhs2-v6_estroh_vanhalen10/
The main theme soundtrack actually uses five early DLR tracks:
Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
And the Cradle will Rock
Jamie's Cryin
Runnin' with the Devil
You Really Got Me (which I think works best after the "Eruption" ball launch track)
If you want to have just one play, you'll have to delete the others.
As the game progresses you'll hear later tracks and more of Sammy's vocals.
Big Thanks to Mr_Tantrum for the instruction and the voice files.
Enjoy!
[quoted image]

Awesome, really looking forward to installing it.

BTW, One of my favorite album covers of all time. Who knows what my parents were thinking when I brought this home.
van-halen-1984 (resized).jpgvan-halen-1984 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#10859 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

How many bulbs in the headboard? 555 or 44/47 have a game coming but want to do my light or in advance
Thanks for the help
A pic with the translight off and the game off would be great

I’ve already hit the sack, but if you search my name I know I’ve posted a light board pic before.

#10864 3 years ago

Get rid of them and just put in colored LEDs (they originally were used to change the light color). I've gone white domes previously, but now I have clear faceted domed ones and like them best (red and amber).

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/faceted-bulbs

IMG_4966 (resized).JPGIMG_4966 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#10874 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Just joined the Club... the teardown has begun, all guides have been polished , 4 coats of pure wax , LED bulbs installed .
Thanks to Mr_Tantrum for help and many great mods that he makes for this game. Some installed some still to go..
Just awaiting a parts order to finish .
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Dispatch to 50004, over. This is 50004, over.

#10881 3 years ago
Quoted from alleycat-pinball:

I am starting to restore my Getaway, playfield swap, cabinet restore. What's the thought on the supercharger, should I go ahead and change the magnets and how about the optos ? I have had the game 10 years with no issues. I'm on the fence, thought I would see if anyone could input one way or the other.
thanks much
Rob

No to the mags, but definitely replace all of the optics as they have caused woes for many of us.

1 week later
#10886 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

My getaway is going for a full resto as soon as there is a place in the queue. Have a new cleared playfield, new coulor dmd, new cab decals and plastics and just ordered just about every mod Mr tantrum makes for it.
Gunna be beautiful enough to sit next to my Sorcerer when it's finished and i can't wait.
[quoted image]

Looking good. I've done just about everything to my Getaway except replace the playfield. It could definitely use one, but up to this point I've just been too chicken to undertake the challenge.

2 weeks later
#10906 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

You need the tiny metal sleeves, first or second in the manual under posts ... available at PBL [quoted image][quoted image]

I actually found something similar at my local Ace Hardware for the spacers if that is more convenient for you. Always back of the store with all their fasteners in bins.

#10908 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

I am looking tocolor the video mode on the Pin2DMD. However I am really a novice at colorizations and would need someone to explain some stuff beyond what the youtube videos do. happy to put in a lot of time, but someone needs to help me get started. anyone here?

There is already a colorization for Getaway, but VP forums is the best place to see it along with support on how to do it.

#10910 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Hi Tantrum, thank you, I am aware of this and I downloaded the packge from Malenko's GDrive (including your rom dumps). I am having trouble understanding how to disect the different elements of the video mode, in order to apply colors to that. Honestly im even still struggling with colorizing a regular scene. I did offer my support on the thread in VPU, but there seems to be no activity since october there.
due to the lockdown I have quite some time on hand these days and I'd be happy to create something for HS2 VideoMode, however I really have trouble understanding HOW.

Have you watched the three PIN2DVD "how to" videos YouTube? When I first started the colorization (pre-Malenko), these were really all I needed to get started. I had done a variety of scenes, but Malenko took it to the next level and delivered. If you have time on your hands, then DMD colorization will definitely consume it.

#10912 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Im aware of two. the one fro lucky1 one by steve. is there more?

These are Steve's training videos:

Chapter 1:

Chapter 2:

Chapter 3:

2 weeks later
#10943 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I am excited - I already have a Pinsound board - which absolutely changes Getaway into a GREAT game but I won a $100 gift card from This Week in Pinball - so a huge thanks to Pinsound for the donation to This Week in Pinball.
With the $100 I am getting their speakers to pair with their Pinsound board - just going to make Getaway that much better. For some reason I just love Getaway. Maybe it is not the deepest game but the sounds on Pinsound and video mode with the beacon going off - it is SOOOO COOL!

Congratulations on the prize! Not sure what speakers you currently have or if they are wired for stereo (a must with PinSound), but the PinSound speakers are a nice upgrade definitely from OEM and even from the Pyle speakers I had installed on mine before. They have a nice range, better bass, and overall better sound. The differences are minor from the Pyle ones, but if you have an ear for it you will definitely notice.

#10946 3 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I just need a new supercharger ramp decal to make it a little better.

I make those too: original design along with my custom version.

#10953 3 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

Yes, standard part. Is meant to keep the ball from leaving the playfield. Same thing with the one over the hairpin turn on the left side.
Odds are though, the ball will never hop out of the superchager and hit this piece. I wouldn't sweat it if it's in a home use environment.

I believe both of these ball trap brackets were part of a service bulletin that occurred sometime after initial run(s). You can purchase both brackets at Marco Specialties, and the decals come from me.

Back left ball trap bracket: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-10903
Back right ball trap bracket: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-10904

UPDATED: Sorry for the duplicate info. I posted my response before I turned the page and saw the post from AlexRogan84

#10955 3 years ago
Quoted from alleycat-pinball:

I'm currently doing a playfield swap (this is my 6th swap) I got this playfield from Peter in Germany. Nothing underneath was dimpled, prepare to spend some extra time laying things out. Several holes were a little off. The bottom left sling-shot area metal ball guide, the holes were pre-drilled and about 1/4 inch off. This has been my worse repro playfield swap experience. Just want to give anyone that is interested in doing a swap with Peters playfields a heads up that it will take some extra time and effort to lay things out right.
rob

I've done just about everything there is to do on a pinball machine, but have never undertaken the daunting task of performing a playfield swap. Always respect those that do, and actually are able to put the game back together 100%.

BTW: My Getaway would definitely benefit from a new playfield.

#10968 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

It sounds like this is what it must be. My game does have LED's, and I thought I had bought the non-ghosting ones, but it's entirely possible I didn't really know what I was choosing when I got them. Or it could be that a couple odd bulbs here and there got into my swap out pile.
This ghosting concept is basically where an LED will light up with just a small amount of power getting to it? And then the non-ghosting bulbs don't change the power coming to the socket, but simply don't come on unless a certain minimum power level is reached? Is that about how it is?

What you are describing sound exactly like ghosting. Needed or not, I only use Comet non-ghosting LEDs for all bulbs in my pins. To me it's worth the extra few cents to ensure I never have an issue and can swap bulbs in and out anywhere I want.

#10977 3 years ago
Quoted from THJM:

Okay, so as a long time Getaway owner but a short time Pinside member. I started on Pinside reading the Getaway club and am currently on page 192 or so of 220 after a few weeks. Man this is an active club.
So I want to query the club on LED lighting, specifically the "Art of Leds" by Comet Pinball (https://www.cometpinball.com/pages/the-art-of-pinball-leds) and how it relates/pertains to Getaway. I plan to go with all leds from Comet Pinball unless convinced otherwise.
I have Mr. Tantrum's LED list but no respect that list is a few years old and I know he made changes since.
I have also made note of many of the lighting mods (gauge plastics, rear lane, etc.) that I will be making.
But first a number of questions.
First off, GI. Comet states frosted bulbs, Warm White for for games with warm artwork (yellows, oranges, & reds), Cool White (previously known as Natural White) for games with cold artwork (blues & blacks) and Sunlight for anything that isn’t an obvious choice for Warm White or Cool White. What works best for Getaway? Should I choose one for all or mix them up and if the latter what?
Next the inserts. Comet suggests Cool White (previously "Natural White") for white inserts, Warm White for yellow inserts and pink for orange inserts (crazy, but true!). Color match everything else (green for green, red for red, etc). I don't think Comet specifies frosted/clear, domed/non-domed, not sure what to pick. I am aware that some of the inserts need flex bulbs, such as the Freeride insert.
Getaway does have yellow (stop light, etc.) and orange (RPM, etc.) Color matching everything else is easy. Does warm white for yellow and pink for orange work for Getaway? Or should I just use yellow and orange? Or something else?
Or should I just use Cool White for everything to keep things simple?
Last, non-ghosting bulbs are a given, but should I be considering the Comet Ultimate Optix aka Flex bulbs?
Next up I will be asking about what silicone rubbers to use. The first question on that, should I be looking at Titan or is there a better alternative?
Thanks in advance for your input.

Lot's of questions, and you are right in that I have changed my LED's over the last couple of years, both on the playfield and in backbox. However, my guide is still 99%+ accurate as far as the bulb types and quantities you need.

In general, only use white under plastics for GI lighting. You want them to be frosted for light diffusion and because some/many of them will be in line of site of the player and clear bulbs can be blinding. In this pin I have/prefer cool white which gives a cleaner brighter look (you should make them all the same). If you prefer the classic incandescent look then I suggest sunlight white. If you doubt this, check out the rainbow puke forum and you will see how bad colored GI looks in a multitude of applications. Colored bulbs ruin the artwork and you loose all of the detail and coloring. My only exception to this is well placed colors in some places in the backbox. The only reason this works is that because you still have white light dominating and bleeding throughout, so if you add a red bulb behind the red lambo to make the color deeper, it works IMO.

However, I do use colored flashers in different areas (I have green under the green plastics, blue under my return lanes, and white in some areas - I did have red in the return area, but when I switched to more of a blue theme I swapped them out).

These are now my favorite bulbs for backglass and inserts. They are nice and bright, which I like: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/4smd-non-ghosting

I use all non-ghosting bulbs in my pin. It will cost a little more, but you are assured that nothing will ghost, and you can swap any bulb out with others without having to worry if they are ghosting or not, and move them from pin to pin if you ever have a need to.

As far as inserts go, I match colors to insert except I usually use warm white for orange and cool white for yellow. I suggest you spend $10-$15 and place a sample order with Comet of various colors and types of bulbs you might be interested in. You can use these to test what you like before you go all in on a full order. Also, when you do order, buy a few extras of the main bulbs you use and even some colors. You will find that a bulb or two may break, you may decide you want a different color under a certain insert, etc.

#10986 3 years ago
Quoted from THJM:

Question now on replacement rubbers.
I plan to go with all Titan silicone replacement rubbers unless you can recommend better ones out there. I also plan to do things fairly faithfully to the original flyers/promotional video. In the promo video all the rubbers appear to be white, except for red on all three flippers. The posts are all black except for the larger yellow post to the left of the supercharger entrance. Interestingly, there are some differences I noticed in the flyer pics. The flyer shows black rubber on the main flippers and both red and black on the upper flipper depending on what picture you look at. It also shows a red post to the right of the supercharger which I think I like better than black as the yellow/red post combination would match the yellow/red of the supercharger lights (which are oddly reversed in the flyer).
For the "white" Titan rubbers do people generally prefer to go translucent or stick with white?
Also for the flipper rings Titan has the option of "Standard" or "Low Bounce Standard", what do people generally prefer there? And is that for all three flippers?
Finally is there accurate rubber list somewhere or should I just rely on the manual?
Thanks in advance.

I went with clear at first but then switched to red (I also changed the red posts out to clear ones). If you search my name in this thread, you will see pics of both configurations.'

When looking back at my Titan order, here is what I bought for Getaway (I didn't buy post sleeves or flipper rings in this order - btw, get the low bounce flipper rings):

#10988 3 years ago
Quoted from kdunbar:

You should try 2 3/4 on slings

Thus far, I've liked the 2-1/2" (of course there the only size I've used on both my sets, so I have nothing to compare them to). I didn't have any issues installing them and they are extremely active. What is the difference by going 1/4" larger?

#10990 3 years ago
Quoted from kdunbar:

Silicone doesn’t like to be stretched, keep it a little tighter then its natural state and they will last a lot longer

Gotcha. Never hurts to have backups, so I'll add those to the list next time I need to place an order. Thanks for the advice.

#10996 3 years ago
Quoted from THJM:

Here's a bit of a radical idea. Given that there is orange striping around each plastic and lots of orange on the playfield, what do you guys think of orange rubber throughout (other than flippers that I likely will leave red)?

Not a fan of orange rings with red star posts, but if you swapped those out to clear (like I did) then orange might look pretty good.

#10998 3 years ago
Quoted from THJM:

My star posts are all clear, I thought that's the way they were originally.

I just looked at the manual and it specifies clear, I never knew. Mine came with red installed, and they were old a dingy so I assumed they were OEM. Wonder if someone swapped them out along the way (that would have been the only mod done to it before I bought it) or if it came from the factory with red.

I also just zoomed in on the game flyer, and they are indeed clear. Guess I went back to stock without even knowing it.

#11034 3 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Thank you! So it looks like my issues are all in column 1 and rows 6, 7 and 8. Should I start with replacing those 4 transistors? I have a couple TIP102 transistors but I'll have to order a few extras and some TIP107 transistors. I haven't troubleshooted a lamp matrix issue like this before so this is new territory for me.

If you are going to replace transistors, I believe you can only accurately test them when they are removed from the circuit board (please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've done it a few times and the readings when installed didn't always match the readings when removed). If that's the case I would just do one at a time, test it to make sure it is bad, and they replace if bad or if it is not then you know your issue lies somewhere else.

#11041 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Decided to light the turbo and turbo boost plastics on the slings

An absolute must for this game.

#11047 3 years ago

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is what you want (metal shooter cover that attaches to side of apron - standard piece on Williams pins of the era): https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-10136

large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg

1 week later
#11060 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Looked in to this. Thank you for pointing it out. This is a scene transiting from Loop Champion to WMS logo via the checkered flag from the top. That one did not exist in your colorization - I checked the project just now. This transition I built from scratch but havent applied the complex triggering, which slippifishi and you have done for those other checkered flag scenes. so, I guess I now understand why they are needed and know what to do next.
The other scene missing is a pixel-in scene for the WMS logo. Unfortunately my game doesnt spit out all frames to reliably dump it, and neither does playfield.dev So getting a really extensive attract dump that includes that one would really help.
So before getting to to other stuff i will try to build that rather complicated mutil trigger approach that the other scenes have for this one.
After that ball-drain sequence (bonus add-up), but still working on the detailed colors of the green 2,4,6,8x- letters..

In the early work I did on this, I was amazed at all of the inconsistent triggers (probably what I struggled with the most outside of no idea of how to treat the video game and map animations).

#11066 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Here's today's scene before and after (but not yet tested on the real machine). Still contemplating optimzing the road stripe to have more depth.
Original (monochrome):
[quoted image]
Before (16 colors):
[quoted image]
After (64 colors):
[quoted image]

Starting to make we wish I never swapped my PIN2DMD with ColorDMD before I sold my JP. If you are able to fully pull this off, I may have to find a buyer for my ColorDMD!

#11079 3 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Coils either work, or they dont... There's no grey area. Which is why rebuild kits dont include coils. If your coils work, just replace the sleeves, which are included in the kit.

He's alive! Nice to see you active in the Getaway thread again.

#11090 3 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

I still follow pretty much daily...

So, what you are saying is that you just cant "get away" from the "Getaway" thread?

Everyone is welcome for the free cheese my above comment provided.

(For you young whipper snappers, that's what we called a "cheesy" comment back in my day - an obvious joke or wordplay meant to be funny, but probably really isn't to most people. You know, the kind of joke you tell and you're the only one laughing at it. It probably makes it even less funny, if that's possible, now that I'm explaining what cheesy means.)

1 week later
#11105 3 years ago
Quoted from Paseb:

just rebuilt my flippers and put new coils as well! what a difference in gameplay
now i want to rebuild all 3x pop bumpers, any guideline/ideas ?
what pop bumpers color do you guys use?
saw some cool colors on a local supplier
https://pinballmedics.ca/product/wms-bally-stern-transparent-coloured-pop-bumper-body/
https://pinballmedics.ca/product/wms-bally-stern-colored-pop-bumper-bodies/

I've gone green/yellow/red before which I liked, but now I have all blue to match the skirts and rings (you could also go all red). I use the Pinball life BriteCaps lighting (match light color to the cap): https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html

However, for the caps themselves, I prefer the Data East style faceted ones: https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-pop-bumper-caps.html
1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

#11107 3 years ago

Get ready to hear from PPS and ColorDMD (if you haven't already).

#11114 3 years ago
Quoted from nutty:

That a great idea I use the wide one and it just clears by a hairs width.
I have extended the kit into the supercharger I have it plugged into the 2nd port on the Pinduino.
I will be starting a thread in the next month to show my progress with LED overload on my Getaway, pop rings changing colour with the traffic lights 2812B supercharger sign and speakers etc
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Been wanting something like that for a few years. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out. Ideally, would love to have butterfly flaps that open & close with the lighting behind them (would be awesome if the flaps opened progressively as you shifted through gears).

#11117 3 years ago
Quoted from nutty:

This is the Rev counter in the Speakers, the rotation is wrong but this was just a test.

Got some new PCBs for the speakers with proper rotation for the LEDs.
The 3 extra LEDs are the shift gear.[quoted image]

Love seeing you take things to the next level!

#11124 3 years ago
Quoted from THJM:

Nah, the cars depicted on the playfield do not have the supercharger, only the one on the backglass.

Are you sure about that? Here's a pic of mine.

2aba1c07203f01d81970a8789f3c56afe1573f29 (resized).jpg2aba1c07203f01d81970a8789f3c56afe1573f29 (resized).jpg

That intake always drove me crazy on the car, so I did some engine modification to mine.

#11126 3 years ago

A mid-90’s era Ford Crown Victoria is going to be your best option.

#11130 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Thanks, but this is too young a generation, we need a 1986 i think. see below[quoted image][quoted image]

When I was searching for mine, I just couldn't find anything the generation older so I went with the Crown Vic of the era. Funny, I added the 504 on the roof, but I just saw the 525 on the front Fender (not visible from player's view). I also added an interior dome light.

IMG_5606 (resized).JPGIMG_5606 (resized).JPG
#11132 3 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

most of the cop cars in the game look like a Chevy Craprice not the crown vic

Both cars are similar. Personally, I don't think the art is necessarily designed after a specific model, but more of a generic police car of the time.

#11134 3 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

the art on the PF vs the backglass vs the DMD is all so different anyway

Also on the plastics and supercharger decal. It's like 5 different cars.

#11136 3 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

lol stop, its going to drive me crazy! At least its not a 2014 Ferrari in rural Kansas like that horrendous alternate translite (see post #2)

Just think of it as Smokey & the Bandit . . . you have police from different counties and states chasing you all over the place.

BTW, I'm amazed by people who can't see the difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari. If I'm not mistaken, I also recall some Porsche graphics being implemented by some. While Steve refuses to admit the car was based on a Lamborghini Diablo (probably for licensing purposes), in the Getaway promo video he actually drives a red early 90's Diablo, so it should be obvious what the car in the pin represents.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#11139 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

You are missing more than the triple intake.

Yours is missing more than the triple intake
[quoted image]

Somebody graffitied your Lambo hood. I'd track him down, and make him pay for the repairs.

#11145 3 years ago
Quoted from THJM:

Another question for today. I am reposting an image originally posted by Mr. Tantrum a few years ago. I noticed on my lower connector that the black wire is no longer connected. The wire is there just no longer connected to the white plastic plug connector. I see that it goes in the last slot, but what tool do I use to put it back in there? Is some special tool required or can I just try a small screwdriver?
Or should I just replace it altogether with a .156 molex housing connector? I already have the pins and crimper for replacing a GI connector just would need to get a 6 pin molex housing. That sounds like a cheaper and perhaps better way to go.
Last question. It looks from the pic that the purple wire is connected twice through slots one and two, is that correct? On mine it is only connected through the first slot.
Thanks.
Thanks.
[quoted image]

Well, if that's my photo then that's the way it is on my game. As far as punching down the wire, I would snip the end of the wire off if the insulation is damaged, re-insert in slot, then use a thin flathead screwdriver to punch down (I use firm pressure with a small rocking motion to wedge the wire in place). All you are trying to do is push the wire down far enough where the insulation is pierced by the metal teeth in the connector such that they make contact with the metal part of the wire. However, sometimes the metal teeth can be bent/damaged, and you'll most likely need to replace the connector.

BTW, I've noticed several connectors on pins where the wires are connected/looped to two leads. I don't know if this is for redundancy or some other purpose (I'm not an electrical engineer), but it is common.

#11147 3 years ago

Pin 5 is "No Connection", but the diagram shows it connected in both places. I'm wondering if this is a stock board/wiring used in some WPC89 pins but not others, but they wire it the same anyway.

#11150 3 years ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

Hi guys, sorry to bug you, but I cant find an answer in the manual or any of the billion pictures I took while tearing it down to clean it up...
Should there be a one way gate between the tunnel saucer and the right orbit? After I put my game back together, the eject likes to keep bouncing the ball back into itself. Its really good for my score during supercharger, but it makes me feel dirty.
Seems to happen after the coil has warmed up a bit, and not right after starting up the game cold.
Appreciate any help!

This should answer your question. Be sure to check your left to right level at the back of the pin.

After helping you, now I'm suddenly hungry for some Chef Boyardee.

1c341a51ba17524124fb655ca12c126e945de839.jpg1c341a51ba17524124fb655ca12c126e945de839.jpg

#11157 3 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I had the same issue with my recently acquired Getaway. A quick and easy fix is to stick a rubber cupboard bumper at the edge of the saucer exit. Then the ball can’t roll back into it.
Warning...scores will be much lower after this fix.
[quoted image]

While I appreciate the ingenuity, my recommendation would be for to ultimately find the source of the issue and fix it. Do the simple hack for now and enjoy playing, but during down time take a break and make things right. Getaway was obviously not designed for this to happen so something is either not level, out of alignment, bent, missing, wrong part is used, etc. Then again, for me about half of the fun of being in the hobby relates to everything associated with the pin besides actually playing the game.

#11162 3 years ago

Question: What common pinball feature used in the original High Speed was obviously and disappointedly left off of Getaway: High Speed II?
Answer: If you said "spinner" then your a winner.

There's nothing quite like the feel of ripping a spinner, I've always been disappointed that The Getaway didn't have one . . . until now, that is. I was recently challenged to see if I could figure out a way to incorporate a scoring spinner into Getaway. It took me some time and I almost gave up, but I finally figured it out.

There is literally only one spot in this game that provides room for a spinner, and even this requires that a notch be cut out of the large lower left plastic for the switch assembly to fit (I have a used one on order, and when I receive it I'll cut out the required notch and post install pics). Also, it doesn't just spin, but it also scores. I've attached the spinner switch in parallel to the left orbit switch just above it. This way the spinner scores a few points each revolution without overly impacting the overall score.

I'm thinking about selling the spinner as a "ready-to-install" kit for $75 if there is enough interest for me to do so (I'd probably want at least 10 orders). I would classify this as a medium skill level mod which requires the ability to cut a piece out of your existing plastic (or buy a spare one like I am and cut the notch out of it), soldering two wires to the leads of an existing switch, and drilling two small holes (if you want something more secure than just tape) into the playfield (hidden under a plastic) to screw down the spinner bracket.

My kit would include the following:

- The spinner with bracket and switch
- The wiring already solder to the switch long enough reach the loop switch you will solder to (I'll pre-tin the ends of the wires)
- Mounting tape to hold the spinner in place
- Screws to mount the bracket more permanently
- Decals for the front and back of the spinner (I would be open to custom requests)
- A paper template for cutting the notch out of your plastic so the bracket and switch will fit with the plastic installed

I'm not ready to take orders yet, as I'm just gauging interest and want to get my donor plastic so that I can actually cut out the notch myself and complete the mod 100% on my pin. However, I would like to gauge interest so please comment if you would be willing to commit to this mod when I decide to offer it. When I do make the mod available, I will do these in batches/runs based off paid orders instead of one-offs like most of my mods, in order to minimize shipping costs of parts and my time involved in creating the wiring and other elements.

UPDATE: After thinking about it, I might be able to design the mod with a custom 3D printed bracket that would remove the necessity to cut a notch of of the plastic. Seeing how I'm sure most everyone would prefer not to have to cut their plastic or to track down an extra one, I'm going to start working on a design (no promises at this point, however).

IMG_5646.JPGIMG_5646.JPGIMG_5647.JPGIMG_5647.JPGgetaway.gifgetaway.gif

#11166 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I like it, but I guess I'll have to drop the freeway sign I already have above it.

Not necessarily, I can customize the sign on the spinner.

#11167 3 years ago

FYI, my first 3D bracket prototype shows good promise. Have to make a few tweaks and see where I stand.

#11172 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Great idea! but will it impede ball speed to lock balls up into the drop ramp?? Where before a slightly lacking shot in power might still make the ramp, after going through the spinner..... maybe not? Perhaps that's why it wasn't included in the original design as it is the obvious spot to have a spinner?

There is literally zero noticeable impedance (of course there is some impact - there is physics involved). If you can barely make the shot now, then you have a different problem - either coil strength or flipper alignment. I've already testing about 50 times during live play and another 50 by hand, and there is absolutely no impact to the ball's travel. For firmly hit shots, the balls travel as normal. If a weak shot that wasn't going to make the loop/ramp anyway, then you get a couple of spins and the ball falls back. Also, no issue when making loop counter-clockwise and the spinner is hit on the ball path down.

#11173 3 years ago

As an update, I'm on version 5 of my custom printed spinner bracket (lots of fine tuning). I'm thinking this may be the final proof of concept, and it does allow for not having to cut the plastic.

#11175 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I generally don't have any issues making the shot but due to the nature of physics you don't always get a clean shot off the flipper bat, which can depend on many factors. Testing by hand does seem an unusual way to do it as it would be virtually impossible to have a base testing speed?? I'm not crapping on the idea btw it would be cool but i'm reasonably sure the idea of a spinner would have been considered in the original plans for the machine.

I don't mind being challenged at all, as this is what makes designs better. As I stated, however, I've hit the spinner at least 50 times during live game play (i.e. by hitting the ball with flippers) AND another 50 times by hand with zero noticeable impact. Granted, 100 spinner hits isn't the end all of tests, but I will play more and soon several will have these installed in their pins to and along the way any required corrections will be made (doing my best, however, to deliver a 100% functional and reliable mod from the start). There is very little friction and impact resistance offered by the spinner, and it does not impact the shot in any noticeable way. This was actually my first concern before I even decided to build the assembly for testing, and I must say that I was quite pleased with the results.

For me the bottom line is that I would never sell a mod that I wouldn't have in my own pin, and if it didn't work I wouldn't have even bothered sharing it with the group (or maybe I would have, but would have stated that I wasn't able to deliver on the mod). I know that many Getaway owners have wanted a spinner, but to my knowledge nobody else up to this point has done it as successfully as I've been able to achieve.

#11176 3 years ago

Wanted to give an update on the mod. Prototype #5 did the trick. Everything fits correctly, functions correctly, and there is no need to cut the plastic if you don't want to. Also, I have the spinner bracket currently installed with very strong double-sided adhesive tape, and based upon how well it is holding drilling holes into the playfield and adding screws may turn out to be optional.

What I did to achieve this is completely redesign the bracket for fit and clearances, integrated a switch cover into the bracket, and reshaped the spinner rod slightly to allow for inverted mounting of the switch. At this point I still want to test some more, make a couple of small modifications to the bracket, and confirm parts availability before I open up for pre-orders.

On a side note, I ripped 2 loops in a row one time while testing, and it was awesome hitting that spinner a second time before it stopped from the first loop.

IMG_5649 (resized).JPGIMG_5649 (resized).JPGIMG_5650 (resized).JPGIMG_5650 (resized).JPGspinner.gifspinner.gif

#11177 3 years ago

Okay, it looks like parts availability is good (I can source parts for at least 20 units). I would like to get to a minimum of 10 orders before I close the first run, and depending upon demand I may extend the time if their are 10 quick commitments.

The price for the mod is $75 shipped to US (outside US will be shipped on a per quote basis, with $5 credit towards the international shipping cost). When I close the pre-order, payments will be due (I'll send PMs), and once I receive payments I will place the parts orders and begin creating the brackets and wiring harnesses.

FYI, to install you must be able to remove the large left plastic (requires removal of left wireframe - simple, and I will provide instructions), and you will need to be able to solder the wires to the loop switch the mod taps into (I've tried alligator clips, but the leads are so small that doing such is unreliable).

Current commitments I have are as follows based upon PM's and posts in the open forum (if you want off the initial run list, please let me know and I'll remove you):

1 - tampa12 (this is the user who initially challenged me to develop a spinner mod for Getaway)
2 - transportr4u
3 - Troyser
4 - sparksterz
5 - Paseb
6 - Malenko
7 - monkfe
8 - alexred
9 - MeNaCeFiRe
10 - MeNaCeFiRe #2
11 - Sleepy
12 - EStroh
13 - waldo34
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -
18 -
19 -
20 -

Added over 3 years ago:

14 - bbriese

#11178 3 years ago

Added a little more style to the bracket (curved many of the corner elements).

#11180 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Wouldn't post the design lest some prick copies it and posts the file for free like they did in the Hobbit thread with a mod a couple weeks ago.
Quite proud they were.

I guess anyone could reverse engineer, but why help them out, right?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
2,365 posts in this topic match your search for posts by mr_tantrum. You are on page 8 of 10.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/8?tu=mr_tantrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.