• L3 8 votes
    3%
  • L5 96 votes
    35%
  • P7 8 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 277 votes by 276 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,091 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A3E46986-81C3-408C-864E-08310B580DE6 (resized).jpeg
76DB5BF3-AB55-435D-9012-C8074FE35331 (resized).jpeg
13DD0908-D2D0-4841-A524-86EE51C3DB35 (resized).jpeg
AA212063-24D9-4E6B-8B8B-09E1F722D803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2606 (resized).jpg
Outlet correct resized (resized).jpg
leaf switch (resized).jpg
0EDA5480-6568-44E8-9CF2-773145607567 (resized).png
20191206_212938 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2019-12-06 12.28.17 (resized).png
IMG_20191201_141557 (resized).jpg
Capture-2 (resized).PNG
getaway2.jpg
getaway1.jpg
photo_2645234887990155805 (resized).jpg
photo_5792814484576256525 (resized).jpg

There are 10055 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 202.
#4201 3 years ago

It's your money but if it was me, I'd spend the 50 bucks for a new one and play around with the old one...

#4202 3 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

would this work? Car Auto Mirror Chrome Silver Sheet Wrap Vinyl Sticker Film Air ebay.com link

Yes & No. Looks cool, but would be incredibly challenging. I doubt that anyone short of a pro could get it right. Granted, my only wrapping experience is from my recent Getaway venture (look a page or two back in this forum), but I think I did an above average job and wouldn't think about tackling wrapping the SC with chrome as it would have wrinkles all over the place.

#4203 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

It's your money but if it was me, I'd spend the 50 bucks for a new one and play around with the old one...

Ditto, that's what I did. At this point I've pretty much considered the old one scrap since I would have somehow completely strip the paint off and start over to make it look good again.

#4204 3 years ago

My Getaway is up for sale for those who have been viewing this awesome thread and looking to get in on one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/41747

Thanks for looking! PM me with questions. A video of gameplay is included in the attached discussion thread.

#4205 3 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

would this work? Car Auto Mirror Chrome Silver Sheet Wrap Vinyl Sticker Film Air ebay.com link

I dont think this would work. The supercharger covers have too many complex curves and most chrome type vinyls dont have much give to them. You would have to make too many relief cuts and such that it just wouldnt look very nice.

#4206 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yes & No. Looks cool, but would be incredibly challenging. I doubt that anyone short of a pro could get it right.

I am a pro and i can tell you no, even for me. Chrome type vinyls have limitations to the amount they can be heated and wrapped.

#4207 3 years ago

so would they make good mirror blades?

#4208 3 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

so would they make good mirror blades?

Hmmm... hard to say without actually seeing the product. Interesting idea though. It certainly wont look as nice as real chrome but could look cool. The only problem i see in trying it is that if you apply it and dont like it, it may take some of the paint from the cabinet sides when you remove it and then your kind of screwed. Also, the wood your applying it too must be really smooth and blemish free or the material will really show the deficiencies .

#4209 3 years ago

Thanks, I ordered a piece and will try it. I will have a look before I pull the backing off. I get what your saying about smooth surface.

#4210 3 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

Thanks, I ordered a piece and will try it. I will have a look before I pull the backing off. I get what your saying about smooth surface.

Yeah, and just be aware of possibly pulling up paint if you dont like it and decide to remove it.

#4211 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Ditto, that's what I did. At this point I've pretty much considered the old one scrap since I would have somehow completely strip the paint off and start over to make it look good again.

Some of these parts come and go, with some of them never being seen again, so to me it make sense to get it while you can and have a spare to fool around with... I know $50 is not cheap but in the long run it's not bad considering what (some of us) spend on these machines.

#4212 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Some of these parts come and go, with some of them never being seen again, so to me it make sense to get it while you can and have a spare to fool around with... I know $50 is not cheap but in the long run it's not bad considering what (some of us) spend on these machines.

Exactly, for a year they were out of the shifter decals. I just made an order with Marco and bought one while they had it. I dont need one, but if I ever do, they'll be out of them again! I even had a SC cover in my cart, but ultimately I decided against it, cuz I hate it.

#4213 3 years ago

Yeah I'll probably just order a new one for $50 from Marco, but I still want to see if I can do something cool with the old one..

#4214 3 years ago

Anyone ordered the set from Starship Fantasy? Wondering if they are the same as Marco or not? Usually Marco parts are more expensive. In this case they are cheaper, just wondering if the one from Starship is nicer.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8672-SET

http://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/The-Getaway-Super-Charger-Cover-Set

#4215 3 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Anyone ordered the set from Starship Fantasy? Wondering if they are the same as Marco or not? Usually Marco parts are more expensive. In this case they are cheaper, just wondering if the one from Starship is nicer.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8672-SET
http://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/The-Getaway-Super-Charger-Cover-Set

That question can only be answered buy somebody buying both and comparing them side by side. Who's up for the challange?

#4216 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That question can only be answered buy somebody buying both and comparing them side by side. Who's up for the challange?

lol, yeah but I'll pass on that challenge.

#4217 3 years ago

I found a dude on ebay a month or two ago that wanted to sell his SC cover for $100. When I told him I could buy them at multiple pinball suppliers for around $50 (gave him links) and offered him $40 for his, he stood firm and would not budge from $100. Waited until very end of sale and made offer again for $45, and he still would not budge.

Moral of the story: if you need one and can find a good price then buy it now because you never know when the well will run dry and you have to be held hostage to price when you really want it.

#4218 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I should have some bud. Let me get home and I'll check. You can have whatever I can find

Any luck finding some? If not, no biggie as I will just drop some more coin at Marcos.

#4219 3 years ago

I know, was just checking to see if anyone was as odd as I am, owning three of these in the last three years.

#4220 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yeah someone buy them and let me know before I order. lol

#4221 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Any luck finding some? If not, no biggie as I will just drop some more coin at Marcos.

Don't drop the coin yet. I have one more spot to look and I'll let you know

#4222 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

lol, yeah but I'll pass on that challenge.

Awh nuts.

#4223 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I found a dude on ebay a month or two ago that wanted to sell his SC cover for $100. When I told him I could buy them at multiple pinball suppliers for around $50 (gave him links) and offered him $40 for his, he stood firm and would not budge from $100. Waited until very end of sale and made offer again for $45, and he still would not budge.
Moral of the story: if you need one and can find a good price then buy it now because you never know when the well will run dry and you have to be held hostage to price when you really want it.

Yup.

#4224 3 years ago

Finally fixed my intermittent dead socket for the left #1 target. Took the board off and the connection pin looked funky. Heated it up and flowed some new solder in. Yes I should have cleaned the old out first but I wanted to see if this work work, thinking the least I do messing with it the better. Works now. Thanks for the tips, Speeders.

#4225 3 years ago

I want to give a big shout out to Mr Tantrum. If he wanted to he could make some side coin doing these things for us.

I wanted to keep the Donut Heaven building but add a little bit more life to it. So I put patrol cars outside and the patrons on the inside. It's just about right.

Thanks man!

IMG_8756 (resized).JPG

IMG_8757 (resized).JPG

IMG_8758 (resized).JPG

IMG_8761 (resized).JPG

IMG_8762 (resized).JPG

IMG_8752 (resized).JPG

IMG_8759 (resized).JPG

#4226 3 years ago

Looks great bud !!!

#4227 3 years ago

Looks great. I'd buy a set if they were avail. Have any more Mr Tantrum?

#4228 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I want to give a big shout out to Mr Tantrum. If he wanted to he could make some side coin doing these things for us.
I wanted to keep the Donut Heaven building but add a little bit more life to it. So I put patrol cars outside and the patrons on the inside. It's just about right.
Thanks man!

Very creative, well done.

#4229 3 years ago

This is Some of his handiwork to. He does great work Thank You Mr Tantrum

20161203_193809 (resized).jpg

20161203_200441 (resized).jpg

#4230 3 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Looks great. I'd buy a set if they were avail. Have any more Mr Tantrum?

If you would like to make your own, artwork is available for free download at www.thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball

However, I realize that not everyone has the tools to do so, therefore I do offer on a case-by-case basis at modest prices to make them for people. Take a look at the site, and if you are interested in me making something for you just PM me with what you would like and we can take it from there.

#4231 3 years ago

Okay Getaway owners, I have literally spent all day working on my pin today for the last 14 hours. I was able to get a lot done and will share more tomorrow, but for now wanted to show off my back ramp flap repair. Instead of tubulars, I went with standard rivers that my neighbor had and am quite happy with the results (I know the purists will hate me for it).

A previous owner had decided to just bend the heck out of the ramp instead of replacing the flap. Thanks to grumpy712 who had recently upgraded to stainless flaps, so he was kind enough to send me his old ones for free. Now getting to the thing was quite the job, and required full SC removal. However, this was a good thing as it allowed me to give a thourough cleaning and waxing to the back of the pin which I had never done before.

So, I got the ramp out, drilled out the old rivets, straightened the ramp out, riveted the flap on, did several other upgrades, and finally just got it all back together.

I must say that the transition up the ramp is now so much smoother, quieter, and requires less speed to make it.

I did run into two issue, however. At first none of my SC features were working during play or in test (ramp lights, flashers, mags, etc.) After freaking out for about 10 minutes I suddenly realized that I had forgotten to plug the two harnesses in after I ran them through the playfield hole. Second, my SC is very slow. Upon inspection, during the removal/replacement wires had detached from two of the optos which I will fix tomorrow.

Anyway, here are pics and I will post pics of all my lighting mods tomorrow, which I think some of you will definitely like and may want to do on your own pin.

BTW, you will notice that my flaps are actually shiny silver. I did this by accident (but like it better than the blue steel) when I polished them with Mothers metal polish. I forget exactly what product I have, but can go look and post the name if anyone is interested.

IMG_0383 (resized).JPG
IMG_0384 (resized).JPG
IMG_0385 (resized).JPG
IMG_0386 (resized).JPG
IMG_0387 (resized).JPG

#4232 3 years ago

Thank you, and all you guys are too nice. I have a little Photoshop skill, so I just wanted to contribute in what little way I can since so many of you have helped me get to where I am with this hobby.

#4233 3 years ago

Well, after working nearly a full day on my pin yesterday, I thought I would share all of my most recent lighting mods. Hopefully, some of you will like at least some of them and this gives you some good ideas for your pin.

1) The left and right side green plastics

The longer I've owned this pin, the more annoying the dark spots under the green plastics have become, so I decided to finally do something about it. There are obvious dead spots like the don’t drink sign at bottom left and the deer at bottom right.

My solution was a couple of matrix components from Comet. To cover both side plastics I used 4 each of the following:

- 10 SMD Strip (Frosted Natural White): http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-10-SMD-5050-6-3V-LIGHTED-STRIPS-p/10smd6.3vstrip.htm
- 1 SMD 5050 Quick Connect Flex (#44/#47 Bayonet Frosted Natural White): http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-10-SMD-5050-6-3V-LIGHTED-STRIPS-p/10smd6.3vstrip.htm

As you can see, I replaced select GI bulbs under the plastics with the quick connect flex, attached a 10 SMD strip to it, then places in strategic locations. By doing this, I was able to maintain the original lighting locations plus significantly add to it. Now I'm just not sure what to do about the one unlit small triangle plastic directly in front of the Donut Heaven.

Left Side Before:
1.JPG
Left Side After:
2.JPG
Right Side Before:
3.JPG
4.JPG
Right Side During:
5.JPG
Right Side After:
6.JPG

2) The upper left loop red plastic

The darkness of the upper left of this pin has always bugged me, so while I had my supercharger out I thought I would give the plastics a nice polishing and try to light them up. Using 1 each of the same components from above, I applied the same principle and I think the results turned out great. Also, I did have to use a 3" Matrix extension in this area to position the strip where I wanted it.

7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG

3) My custom plastic above the left targets

Now that all my green plastics were well lit, my new custom target cover looked rather drab. I thought about how to illuminate it, but came up empty until I realized that I needed to take the SC off anyway for ramp repair and that a LED strip might work. So, again Comet Matrix to the rescue. I used the same two items as under the side plastics, and I think the result came out great.

There were a couple of challenges to overcome here. First, the only way I could see getting to this area was to remove the SC loop. Second, the strip had to be placed up against the back of the targets to yield best results. While normally not a problem, there is a gap in the SC ramp at the flap where the side is separated from the bottom. It just so happens that this is a direct line of site to 3 SMDs on the led strip I installed. To solve this, I remembered that I had some aluminum foil tape (real duct tape), so I cut a piece and ran it up the full side, around the gap, then to about half the bottom of the ramp. From the outside, the tape is completely invisible, matches the silver coloring of the ramp, and blocks the light from the LED strip that lights the plastic.

11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
In the pic below you can see what my aluminum foil tape looks like (lower right of inside of ramp). This is a must given how the light bleeding through the space was blinding.
14.JPG

4) The hairpin turn

I’ve been wanting to light the hairpin turn, but have not seen anything that I really like. So, I came up with the idea of a theme that matches my custom hairpin turn sign . . . a flashing yellow caution light.

So, what I did was mount a wedge socket just behind the hairpin turn sign bracket, tied into the Matrix line I already installed for my police car light, inserted a quick flashing 6V bulb, and covered the bulb with a yellow lamp cover like is used in the SC sign. I really like how the results came out. At first, I thought the constant flash might bug me, but during gameplay the only time I actually notice it is when my ball hits the loop.

I posted a video both with and without my cop car for you to see how the light looks, and here are the components I used:

- Matrix Wedge socket with bracket: http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/mtxsocket.htm
- Matrix 2 way splitter (since I already had another cable run to this point for my cop car: http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-2-and-3-Splitters-p/mtxsplit.htm
- 36” Matrix extension (for when I have to slide out or lift playfield): http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-Wires-p/mtxconnect.htm
- Fast Blinking #44/#47 Bayonet Natural White LED: http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smdfastblink.htm
- Yellow Silicone Lamp Cover: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8063-6

15.JPG

Finally, here's a pic with everything installed an put back together. The pin is now a real light show. I realize this may bug some, but I absolutely love it! I am still going to add the red SMD strip to the inside of the SC and I have a couple of other things to fix, but now my next project will be the cabinet decals (not sure when I want to take this on, but I have the decals I ordered and they look great).

16.JPG

#4235 3 years ago

You are taking the lighting to a new level, mr_tantrum . Very nice!

#4236 3 years ago

Yea I have a set for all three of my pins

#4237 3 years ago

One more thing that I discovered during all my work yesterday. While I thought of this myself when I was out in the garage on the fly, I don't know if I'm the first or not. I had several badly warped plastics, especially the ones with long skinny sections. I had the idea of using my heat gut to see if I could flatten these. Granted, while this was a spontaneous risk, it ended up working great. My process was as follows:

- Remove all screws, plastic posts, spacers, etc. from plastic you are working with
- Clean the plastic well with simply green or some other safe non-abrasive cleaner to remove any grease then with Novus 1 spray
- Get two clean flat boards to use to make a plastic sandwich
- Lay your plastic on one of the boards graphics side up and print side down (just like it appears on the playfield)
- Use your heat gun on low making quick small circular motions about 6 inches above the plastic
- Be sure to head evenly the entire section you wish to flatten
- Watch plastic closely and you will begin to see with your eye it flatting a little on its own (from my experience this took about 15-20 seconds) - when this happens, you are ready - DO NOT OVER HEAT!
- Place the second board on top of the plastic then firmly clamp on both ends and middle to apply even pressure
- Set the clamped assembly aside for about 5 minutes to cool
- Remove the clamps, take out the newly flattened plastic, reassemble (if required), and you are good to go to reinstall into pin

I really wish I had taken before and after pics as this make a huge difference for me, and I am so much happier with how several of my plastics look now without warps, bends, and tips poking up.

#4238 3 years ago

If not buying new, you could try a product like this (I know there are kits available).

#4239 3 years ago

Has anyone here upgraded their WPC Audio Board to a PinSound Board? These look interesting but I'm curious of the Getaway sound package they've created. I'm not sure if the cost is worth it but I'd love to hear how it sounds... some pins like T2 sound amazing.

https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=19&controller=product&id_lang=1

#4240 3 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

If not buying new, you could try a product like this (I know there are kits available).
» YouTube video

That is awesome, but cost just a tad bit more at 400+ British Pounds to get to US than the $50 for a SC cover (just sayin').

#4241 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Has anyone here upgraded their WPC Audio Board to a PinSound Board? These look interesting but I'm curious of the Getaway sound package they've created. I'm not sure if the cost is worth it but I'd love to hear how it sounds... some pins like T2 sound amazing.
» YouTube video
https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=19&controller=product&id_lang=1

Was excited about the possibility when I first came across PinSound, but then I saw the price tag. For me, it is too expensive for what I am willing to spend on this pin for sound.

#4242 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Thanks man!

Adding the people inside makes a BIG difference. Looks great.

#4243 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, after working nearly a full day on my pin yesterday, I thought I would share all of my most recent lighting mods. Hopefully, some of you will like at least some of them and this gives you some good ideas for your pin.
1) The left and right side green plastics
The longer I've owned this pin, the more annoying the dark spots under the green plastics have become, so I decided to finally do something about it. There are obvious dead spots like the don’t drink sign at bottom left and the deer at bottom right.
My solution was a couple of matrix components from Comet. To cover both side plastics I used 4 each of the following:
- 10 SMD Strip (Frosted Natural White): http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-10-SMD-5050-6-3V-LIGHTED-STRIPS-p/10smd6.3vstrip.htm
- 1 SMD 5050 Quick Connect Flex (#44/#47 Bayonet Frosted Natural White): http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-10-SMD-5050-6-3V-LIGHTED-STRIPS-p/10smd6.3vstrip.htm
As you can see, I replaced select GI bulbs under the plastics with the quick connect flex, attached a 10 SMD strip to it, then places in strategic locations. By doing this, I was able to maintain the original lighting locations plus significantly add to it. Now I'm just not sure what to do about the one unlit small triangle plastic directly in front of the Donut Heaven.
Left Side Before:

Left Side After:

Right Side Before:

Right Side During:

Right Side After:

2) The upper left loop red plastic
The darkness of the upper left of this pin has always bugged me, so while I had my supercharger out I thought I would give the plastics a nice polishing and try to light them up. Using 1 each of the same components from above, I applied the same principle and I think the results turned out great. Also, I did have to use a 3" Matrix extension in this area to position the strip where I wanted it.

3) My custom plastic above the left targets
Now that all my green plastics were well lit, my new custom target cover looked rather drab. I thought about how to illuminate it, but came up empty until I realized that I needed to take the SC off anyway for ramp repair and that a LED strip might work. So, again Comet Matrix to the rescue. I used the same two items as under the side plastics, and I think the result came out great.
There were a couple of challenges to overcome here. First, the only way I could see getting to this area was to remove the SC loop. Second, the strip had to be placed up against the back of the targets to yield best results. While normally not a problem, there is a gap in the SC ramp at the flap where the side is separated from the bottom. It just so happens that this is a direct line of site to 3 SMDs on the led strip I installed. To solve this, I remembered that I had some aluminum foil tape (real duct tape), so I cut a piece and ran it up the full side, around the gap, then to about half the bottom of the ramp. From the outside, the tape is completely invisible, matches the silver coloring of the ramp, and blocks the light from the LED strip that lights the plastic.

In the pic below you can see what my aluminum foil tape looks like (lower right of inside of ramp). This is a must given how the light bleeding through the space was blinding.

4) The hairpin turn
I’ve been wanting to light the hairpin turn, but have not seen anything that I really like. So, I came up with the idea of a theme that matches my custom hairpin turn sign . . . a flashing yellow caution light.
So, what I did was mount a wedge socket just behind the hairpin turn sign bracket, tied into the Matrix line I already installed for my police car light, inserted a quick flashing 6V bulb, and covered the bulb with a yellow lamp cover like is used in the SC sign. I really like how the results came out. At first, I thought the constant flash might bug me, but during gameplay the only time I actually notice it is when my ball hits the loop.
I posted a video both with and without my cop car for you to see how the light looks, and here are the components I used:
- Matrix Wedge socket with bracket: http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/mtxsocket.htm
- Matrix 2 way splitter (since I already had another cable run to this point for my cop car: http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-2-and-3-Splitters-p/mtxsplit.htm
- 36” Matrix extension (for when I have to slide out or lift playfield): http://www.cometpinball.com/MATRIX-Wires-p/mtxconnect.htm
- Fast Blinking #44/#47 Bayonet Natural White LED: http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smdfastblink.htm
- Yellow Silicone Lamp Cover: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8063-6

» YouTube video
Finally, here's a pic with everything installed an put back together. The pin is now a real light show. I realize this may bug some, but I absolutely love it! I am still going to add the red SMD strip to the inside of the SC and I have a couple of other things to fix, but now my next project will be the cabinet decals (not sure when I want to take this on, but I have the decals I ordered and they look great).

Lighting up those long plastics that way really makes them look great, I did that a couple years ago, my suggestion to Art about that is what prompted him to come out with his Matrix system.

#4245 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

my suggestion to Art about that is what prompted him to come out with his Matrix system.

Im going to do this also once Comet gets more 6v light strips in. They are out of stock on a lot of them due to black friday sales.

#4246 3 years ago

Hey Mr Tantrum, would you be able to separate the images on your donut heaven file so that we would be able to print the people in the background and the cop cars separately ? Id like to try printing the people on colored film to put inside the building to replace the blue film that is currently inside and then do the exterior cars seperately.

#4247 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I just realized this is what you did grinder. Where did you get the file for just the patrons inside ?

#4248 3 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Im going to do this also once Comet gets more 6v light strips in. They are out of stock on a lot of them due to black friday sales.

Those frosted ones work perfectly, I wish Art would have had them and the 10 smd ones when I did mine.

#4249 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Those frosted ones work perfectly, I wish Art would have had them and the 10 smd ones when I did mine.

Frosted look better underneath the plastics ?

#4250 3 years ago

Yes the long frosted ones look better I think.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 10055 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 202.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside