• L3 8 votes
    3%
  • L5 92 votes
    34%
  • P7 7 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 268 votes by 267 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,016 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Backglass 2 (resized).jpg
Backglass old vs new 2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0211 (resized).JPEG
pasted_image (resized).png
Getaway.JPG.pdf (PDF preview)
wires2.jpg
wires1.jpg
getaway005 (resized).jpg
IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2666.JPG
IMG_2665.JPG
IMG_2663.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG

There are 9865 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 198.
#3451 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Finished making my custom plastic above the middle targets, and love it. Thanks for the great idea and instructions.

Nice job, I knew you could do it!

#3452 2 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

A few other toys i have ...
This is me ..

I thought ice covered your lakes all year round. It is Canada isn't it?

#3453 2 years ago

Good news! I got my HS2 working again thanks to a new Rottendog board, complete with NVRAM. It put an end to all the problems I was having with factory resets and switch rows. Next up, LED kit!

#3454 2 years ago
Quoted from mattnb:

Good news! I got my HS2 working again thanks to a new Rottendog board, complete with NVRAM. It put an end to all the problems I was having with factory resets and switch rows. Next up, LED kit!

Same exact thing I had to do. Makes the game much more enjoyable when it works right. Be sure to check out my LED guide. Will save you time and cash doing your own custom LED conversion instead of buying a pre-packaged set.

#3455 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Same exact thing I had to do. Makes the game much more enjoyable when it works right. Be sure to check out my LED guide. Will save you time and cash doing your own custom LED conversion instead of buying a pre-packaged set.

And where might someone find this custom LED guide? Bring the link!

#3456 2 years ago

What is the right way the ball should flow. Currently mine follows the RED lines. If I do not use the top flipper the ball with go right down the middle.

On another machine I played the top flipper was set out a fraction so the ball would always hit it and then land onyour bottom left fillper see the GREEN lines

what was is factory ? I dont like the red lines cause when I get multiball if I am not careful they go down the middle to easy

getaway ball map (resized).png

#3457 2 years ago

Mine hits the right flipper 100% unless the upper flipper is out of whack which will cause it to make contact and kick out. Perhaps check the level but it should go around the loop and hit the right flipper....

See the manual page V

Right flipper loop should return ball to the right flipper, left flipper loop returns ball to the left flipper.

EDIT: I see your issue is launching but it's the same loop and should return to right flipper unless you flip the upper one. see page I

#3458 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Search my name in this topic and download spreadsheet at http://thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball

I outline every bulb type and placement you need, and list my choices for playfield, backbox, and others. While you can feel free to copy exactly, I would suggest you change up to whatever colors you may like. Also, buy some extras as you may want to experiment a little.

I purchased all my LEDs from Comet, but I know there are other good suppliers like Titan, Cointaker, Pinball Life, etc. Also, be sure you get all non-ghosting bulbs. Finally, as I recall, you should be able to fully convert to LED for well under $200.

One more note, when you are switching out bulbs do it with the pin turned off! It is my experience and many others here that it is too easy to short out something by touching wires when working under the playfield. It is tempting to see immediately what you are doing, but take your time, do a few bulbs at a time, check your work, then repeat. Also, you must take advantage of having bulbs out and clean the underside of your inserts with cotton swabs and alcohol. LEDs with dust covered inserts still creates dingy looking lighting. LEDs with clean inserts make the table pop!

#3459 2 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Mine hits the right flipper 100% unless the upper flipper is out of whack which will cause it to make contact and kick out. Perhaps check the level but it should go around the loop and hit the right flipper....
See the manual page V
Right flipper loop should return ball the right flipper, left flipper loop returns ball the left flipper.
EDIT: I see your issue is launching but it's the same loop and should return to right flipper unless you flip the upper one. see page I

Ditto to all this. One thing I love about this table is that it is very difficult to drain a ball either down the center or on the sides.

#3460 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Search my name in this topic and download spreadsheet at http://thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball
I outline every bulb type and placement you need, and list my choices for playfield, backbox, and others. While you can feel free to copy exactly, I would suggest you change up to whatever colors you may like. Also, buy some extras as you may want to experiment a little.
I purchased all my LEDs from Comet, but I know there are other good suppliers like Titan, Cointaker, Pinball Life, etc. Also, be sure you get all non-ghosting bulbs. Finally, as I recall, you should be able to fully convert to LED for well under $200.
One more note, when you are switching out bulbs do it with the pin turned off! It is my experience and many others here that it is too easy to short out something by touching wires when working under the playfield. It is tempting to see immediately what you are doing, but take your time, do a few bulbs at a time, check your work, then repeat. Also, you must take advantage of having bulbs out and clean the underside of your inserts with cotton swabs and alcohol. LEDs with dust covered inserts still creates dingy looking lighting. LEDs with clean inserts make the table pop!

You'll only need non ghosting under the PF inserts, if you do not get NG then there is a delay on them turning off which is the ghosting effect, lights under the plastic or ones that are always on do not need to be NG.

As Mr T suggests, whenever working with the lights and just about anything else, power off your pin.

#3461 2 years ago

This seems like another concern. The list is getting longer. Shouldn't the plunger line up with the ball. Can't figure how to adjust it. And also looks like I need new plunger rubber, right?

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#3462 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

This seems like another concern. The list is getting longer. Shouldn't the plunger line up with the ball. Can't figure how to adjust it. And also looks like I need new plunger rubber, right?

Not necessarily, see mine and it's not just a tip but an entire rod. If the ball makes it all the way around the loop then you're fine, if it does not then you'll need to play with how it's lined up.

Edit 2: If you do need to adjust the shooter because it's not going around the loop you have to remove the apron and there are 2 hex screws that hold the mounting bracket to the play field, so you'll have to loosen them and move it slightly in one direction and tighten them back up, it's just trial and error to get it set right by your table (it's not a cookie cutter position).

Cliffy shooter (resized).jpg
Shooter rod (resized).jpg

#3463 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

What I did was clean the underside of the inserts real good and used Comets 2 smd white clear dome bulbs, white because the inserts aren't color bombed then and the text on all the inserts stand out MUCH better and the facets of the inserts sparkle like the way they do in a modern Stern game. My 2 cents.

#3464 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

What I did was clean the underside of the inserts real good and used Comets 2 smd white clear dome bulbs, white because the inserts aren't color bombed then and the text on all the inserts stand out MUCH better and the facets of the inserts sparkle like the way they do in a modern Stern game. My 2 cents.

Comet twin smd are awesome, that's what I used as well, frosted warm white under the plastics for warm tones and natural white under the plastics with cool tones. I did use color matched twin smd and NG under certain PF inserts mixing in twin faceted too... I just played around with them to find what I like. This is all very subjective to what you may like.

I agree with Stang, my pin from 1992 shines as well as a pin with new led boards installed. Honestly, I rather have the option of replacing my lights with colors and styles that I like too bad this isn't possible with some newer pins.

Titan flipper shot (resized).jpg

Getaway table led (resized).jpg

#3465 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I thought ice covered your lakes all year round. It is Canada isn't it?

Nope, our lakes are only covered in ice for 11 months of the year !

#3466 2 years ago

Did more cleaning around the playfield this morning and put on 3 new Titan flipper rubbers. Didn't think they would fit.

image (resized).jpeg

#3467 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Having seen the new "hair pin" turn decal, I decided to create one myself (with my own flare on it, of course). As always, I am happy to share the artwork (Photoshop & PDF files), so please feel free to download and make your own: http://www.thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball

As a FYI, at the request of Mezel Mods I have removed this artwork from my download site. My intent was never to steal their idea, but to take the general concept, customize it with my personal touch, then share it with other Getaway DIYers for free if they happen to like it too.

I guess there is a fine line there, but in the spirit of the pinball community I want to be fair to everyone. If you like the concept, then I encourage you to purchase one of their "Hair Pin" stickers.

#3468 2 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

The one thing that bug me about the playfield is the missing "plate" above the targets just to the right of the super charger entrance ramp. Should also be some sort of decal there as well with a plate mounted to the top of the 2 posts.
I really need to get off my ass and do something about that.

Well, no more excuses. I've designed a themed graphic for a plastic above the targets to the right of the ramp. Artwork is available for free to anyone who wants it on my download site: http://thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball (of course you will need to make your own plastic/Lexan plate, but pretty simple when using my template). Take a look at the pics below for how it came out (btw, my right post is broken which is why I don't have that side screwed in yet). Enjoy!

RampTargetCover.png

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

#3469 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, no more excuses. I've designed a themed graphic for a plastic above the targets to the right of the ramp. Artwork is available for free to anyone who wants it on my download site: http://thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball (of course you will need to make your own plastic/Lexan plate, but pretty simple when using my template). Take a look at the pics below for how it came out (btw, my right post is broken which is why I don't have that side screwed in yet). Enjoy!

I really like your work and this one is one that really complements the game. Nice job!

#3470 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Agree with tiltmonster. Take the apron off so you can get a good look at the plunger mech. I adjusted my plunger when my ball was not being launched around the upper loop. I don't think the plunger alignment matters much but doesn't hurt to try. What really helped my ball launch was adjusting the metal guide that directs the ball out of the gate.

#3471 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Your photo looks very close to how my plunger is aligned (photo earlier in this topic). It doesn't matter as long as the ball is easily launched around the full loop.

#3472 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Your photo looks very close to how my plunger is aligned (photo earlier in this topic). It doesn't matter as long as the ball is easily launched around the full loop.

It gets around but it's not speeding by any means. More of a cruise.

#3473 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

It gets around but it's not speeding by any means. More of a cruise.

That's good, the launch isn't about the speed so if it makes it around the loop I'd leave it alone.

#3474 2 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Comet twin smd are awesome, that's what I used as well, frosted warm white under the plastics for warm tones and natural white under the plastics with cool tones. I did use color matched twin smd and NG under certain PF inserts mixing in twin faceted too... I just played around with them to find what I like. This is all very subjective to what you may like.
I agree with Stang, my pin from 1992 shines as well as a pin with new led boards installed. Honestly, I rather have the option of replacing my lights with colors and styles that I like too bad this isn't possible with some newer pins.

Looks great but why don't you have the center drain lit yet.

#3475 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looks great but why don't you have the center drain lit yet.

Thank you! You know me Stang, everything in moderation.. lol!

The only thing I'm thinking of is that new light up panel but without the led speaker lights. I'm waiting for you to get yours installed and review it first

#3476 2 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

The only thing I'm thinking of is that new light up panel but without the led speaker lights. I'm waiting for you to get yours installed and review it first

I don't believe I've had a tour of yours. Care to show what the rest of us have to strive to achieve? I'm only up to page 31 of this thread. Pics or a link please. Mine has LEDs and some extras, but nowhere near the bling that some of y'all have.

#3477 2 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I see, I'll give you a little more time to get it on there.

I'm getting the full boat on that mod, you know me I tend to go full blown. And I will post a full review but just remember you can't upgrade once you buy it.

#3478 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

I don't believe I've had a tour of yours. Care to show what the rest of us have to strive to achieve? I'm only up to page 31 of this thread. Pics or a link please. Mine has LEDs and some extras, but nowhere near the bling that some of y'all have.

Sure I'll post more pics later but as you get further into the this thread I'm sure you'll see more.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

I see, I'll give you a little more time to get it on there.
I'm getting the full boat on that mod, you know me I tend to go full blown. And I will post a full review but just remember you can't upgrade once you buy it.

lol, yup I know and appreciate your direction too.

Oh... hmm, well maybe I'll wait for your review since you've already stepped up to the plate and ordered one.

#3479 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Looking through the full thread you will see all kinds of simple cheap mods that add to your experience like extra lighting, stickers, toy cars. etc. You will also find fairly expensive mods that are really cool such as the new panel, real tachometer, color DMD, updated sound board, etc. You will also find guys that are purist in their approach and try to keep their tables fairly original with modest mods. I've seen beautifully restored tables in like new condition that are amazing. On the other hand there are those of us who like to go somewhat to the other extreme when it comes to mods, and of course others are somewhere in between.

This is a new hobby to me, and I find that much of the fun is not just playing, but the fun and reward you get from playing something you have put thought and effort into. My advice would be to have fun with it, make it yours, and learn from others in this forum. When I first bought my machine I would have rated it as well below average when compared to many I've seen in this thread. However, I have also incorporated many great ideas from others, learned how to care for it and improve both its looks and condition, and aside from having to replace two faulty circuit boards I have put relatively little into it financially. I still would not say my machine is in the top 10%, but I think I've gone from around the bottom half to maybe the top 25%.

Also, this is my first pin and can't see myself ever getting rid of it. Hopefully one day I will add to the collection, but I am assuming that my first will always be special to me, and I will probably end up giving it more attention than any future pin to come.

#3480 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

I think I want to sell it. Like the more open look and can see ball travel better.

The mountain mod has been sold and is going to a good home. I'm keeping the Donut Heaven building mod. I like it. Thanks for looking.

#3481 2 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Oh... hmm, well maybe I'll wait for your review since you've already stepped up to the plate and ordered one.

Dan and I have been talking, I'm a sounding board of his but I can't tell you any more sorry. He knows I want one so I "might" get one of the first ones, fingers crossed for this. He hasn't told me when they will be available, when I know you guys will know. Until then keep saving your pennies cuz this mod will blow you away for this game.

#3482 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Dan and I have been talking, I'm a sounding board of his but I can't tell you any more sorry. He knows I want one so I "might" get one of the first ones, fingers crossed for this. He hasn't told me when they will be available, when I know you guys will know. Until then keep saving your pennies cuz this mod will blow you away for this game.

If it's a mod that goes to the fridge and gets me a beer so I don't have to stop playing to get it myself, I want one too!

#3483 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

The mountain mod has been sold and is going to a good home. I'm keeping the Donut Heaven building mod. I like it. Thanks for looking.

Yeah I'll bet you had a few pm's about it, it's a very rare mod.

#3484 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

If it's a mod that goes to the fridge and gets me a beer so I don't have to stop playing to get it myself, I want one too!

Well I thought that's what wife's were for.

#3485 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yeah I'll bet you had a few pm's about it, it's a very rare mod.

It's going to someone you know.

#3486 2 years ago

I just noticed; I got member status. I'm not a Newbie anymore!

#3488 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Welcome "Member".

#3489 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Now another official "Welcome"!

Please let us know if your error #84 and diverter issues are resolved when you get your new optos installed.

#3490 2 years ago

Am I crazy to be looking at another pin already? Do I want more headaches? Am I addicted? Is there a 12 step program? I found an ad for a Judge Dredd near me on craigslist? I like the artwork on it and it seems like an OK game? richmond.craigslist.org link

#3491 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Am I crazy to be looking at another pin already? Do I want more headaches? Am I addicted? Is there a 12 step program? I found an ad for a Judge Dredd near me on craigslist? I like the artwork on it and it seems like an OK game? richmond.craigslist.org link

lol! Hook, line and sinker! Welcome the wonderful world of pinball

JD is a cool theme and a decent game but it is a wide body, if that matters. Read up on the review section but that probably a fair price (all those pins are priced well). One thing for sure you probably will be ok at those price points assuming they don't need $300-$400 in work.

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/judge-dredd

It took me many years to get my second but I was waiting to find a certain pin. Now I'm searching for my 3rd and that's my cap but once again I have several specific titles that I'm looking to buy so my selection is limited.

#3492 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Am I crazy to be looking at another pin already?

no.

i bought 7 in my first 10 months.

#3493 2 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

i bought 7 in my first 10 months.

I guess a loan of some cash foldies is out of the question (aka MONEY)

#3494 2 years ago

lol at cash foldies.

7 is a little misleading. i sold 2 so i only netted 5.

#3495 2 years ago

New Getaway owner....waiting on a order to show up from pinball life to rebuild my flippers. Would like to start the LED process. For those that made the recommendation of Comet LED"s and specifically the twin/two smd bulbs. I'm a little confused on what to order.

Under Non-Ghosting. The only twin smd bulbs they show are the ones with the faceted lens. But you guys referenced clear and frosted lenses? I want to start with doing all the inserts first.

Is this what I should be ordering?

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smd3528-ng.htm

#3497 2 years ago
Quoted from mann0mann:

New Getaway owner....waiting on a order to show up from pinball life to rebuild my flippers. Would like to start the LED process. For those that made the recommendation of Comet LED"s and specifically the twin/two smd bulbs. I'm a little confused on what to order.
Under Non-Ghosting. The only twin smd bulbs they show are the ones with the faceted lens. But you guys referenced clear and frosted lenses? I want to start with doing all the inserts first.

I used NG twin faceted smd in the orange bonus, red gears, center orange shift, traffic light toy and under target inserts. You are correct, the rest is NG 1 smd frosted all color matched. Under the plastics I used the twin smd frosted...

#3498 2 years ago

I'm half way caught up on this thread. Wow, what a journey so far y'all have been on. I'm up to Christmas last year and seeing all the presents ya got.

#3499 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

I have six in the house and one in the garage, I just tell my wife it's an investment

#3500 2 years ago
Quoted from mann0mann:

This is what I use in the inserts, just natural white. The inserts aren't color bombed then and it's easy to see the decals on the inserts.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smd-ct-ft.htm

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
There are 9865 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 198.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside