• L3 11 votes
    3%
  • L5 120 votes
    34%
  • P7 9 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    2%

(Multiple choice - 348 votes by 346 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shooter repair4 (resized).jpg
shooter repair3 (resized).jpg
Shooter repair2a (resized).png
Shooter repair1 (resized).jpg
Disappearing post fix4 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix3 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix2 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix1 (resized).jpeg
HSIIclear (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Shooter rod (resized).jpg
DSC06633 (resized).JPG
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
PXL_20240408_220306294 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240408_220311370 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

2,376 posts in this topic match your search for posts by mr_tantrum. You are on page 5 of 10.
#6838 6 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Yes, it should fit. Now where Can I find this cover?

I never knew there was supposed to be a switch cover behind the stoplight until I saw these pics. Darn, I really don't have any ordering needs in the foreseeable future, but I need one for sure.

#6839 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

My high score is around 525 million on 3 ball. Cant remember all the settings though.

Without a photo it never happened.

#6846 6 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I miss my Getaway!!!

Hey, did you see the new Iron Man blades (thought of you when I came across the post)?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tilt-graphics-inc-mods/page/22#post-4014855

#6847 6 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

I’m sorry I posted that score now. I suck compared to y’all.

Hey, we all suck when compared to someone else out there. It's all about the fun, and if you want a little friendly competition then that's all good. My current 5 ball high is 800M+ (haven't updated on Pinside yet), but my setup gives free balls for special, etc. For me, I started first concerned about score, then for a period I worked on actually understanding the game and all of the rules and scoring, then I worked on playing games with a purpose and a goal in mind. Now that I fully "get it" I routinely score 200M+ in games with the occasional 500M+. Personally, I'm finding that I still enjoy Getaway and knowing all of the rules with an effort to execute a game plan when I play makes it more fun. When friends come over, however, I throw all of that out the window and just play for fun like I didn't know any better. Who wants to watch me play a ball for 5+ minutes - boring for everyone else.

BTW, if you haven't figured it out already, the easiest way to improve your opportunity for high scoring is to take advantage of the "Free Ride" feature. By letting balls purposefully drain immediately upon making the loop after launch (usually 2 and sometimes 3 per cycle) you can more rapidly make your way through the gears, thus opening up the high scoring features like video mode (gear 3), supercharger (gear 4) and redline mania (gear 5) - probably 50M+ combined at a minimum just getting to these 3 modes, not to mention if you keep your multi-ball going in RLM or running the red light you can get one or multiple super jackpots. Multiple times I've completed two full revolutions of the gears (can't remember if I've ever done 3), and this is where I've really scored well. Not sure if the community considers this "cheating", but I actually learned this by watching video of tournament Getaway play.

Also, this may sound silly to many, but I believe that Pinsound has contributed to me scoring higher more consistently. The audio experience truly makes the game more immersive and keeps me coming back more than I otherwise would. Out of all the money I've spent on my Getaway, the Pinsound is by far the best "investment", and if owned more pins from this era every single one of them would have a Pinsound (even if I had to get a part time job to pay for them!)

#6849 6 years ago

For those of you who don't spend much time perusing the other threads, I thought I would bring this to everyone's attention regarding one of our regulars, SUPERBEE: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-need-some-advice-about-letting-my-best-buddy-go#post-4018632

#6850 6 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

I'm in the club.
I just reseated a couple of inserts, polished, and waxed.
My high score is 427m factory 3 ball

Playfield looks really nice, and for the most part stock outside of the Donut Heaven. Are you a purist kind of guy, or is there modding in your future?

#6851 6 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

I’m up for a friendly challenge. My replay is set at 72 million, where replay gets an extra ball.
Here are my settings;
Getaway settings
All factory settings except the following;
A.1
.01 5 balls
.03 10
.04 Off
.14 replay award; extra ball
.15 special award; points
.20 custom message on
.23 time and date
.24 show
.25 dim no
.26 no
.28 yes
.29 off
A.2
.12 photo shoot on
A.3
.17 free play yes
A.4
.09 reset every OFF
.10 00
.11 00
.12 00
.13 00
.14 00
U.4 time and date
U.5 message

Well, just had a great 3-ball game for me at 387M+

Got through two gear cycles but no super jackpots

IMG_1129.JPGIMG_1129.JPG

2 weeks later
#6872 6 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
My name is Jason/"SDTMinSTL" and I am a proud Getaway owner finally. Looking forward to reading back through the thread and getting some much needed hints and help. Saw some of the mods you guys are running! Awesome. My head is spinning with wants already. Haha.

Congrats, and welcome to the group.

#6873 6 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Bought the mods from 'Budmanpinfan'. Fast shipping and well packaged. Kudos!

You need some peeps in your DH. Check out my posts then PM me if you want more info.

2 weeks later
#6876 6 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Hey, Speeders. Seems like dust has been collecting on the Lambo, so I thought I'd try and get get things going and burn the carbon out of the carburetor. Let's go!
On a game this morning, I noticed that the lock ramp is staying up all the time now. I hear and see that it seems to be trying to go down when conditions are met to bring it down; it seems to try and then stay up. It states there is an Up/Down Ramp Error. That's all I have for right now. I will look at a switch test to see if I have a switch problem. Was working great up until now. Any help on what switch to look for, if you know off the top of your head. Otherwise I'll dig through the manual. I will do a T.14 ramp test as well. Suggestions on where to start appreciated. I haven't had to use a soldering iron on this for a long time.

I don't know if this is similar to your situation or not, but here was my past experience with ramp issues:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/93#post-3543568

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/94#post-3544351

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/94#post-3544810

#6884 6 years ago

Merciless bunch here, aren't we?

PS: I know there are a couple of restorations going on, would love to see updates on them.

#6894 6 years ago

Actually, I believe the trunk is the space in the front of the car under what is still called the hood.

The engine cover is a deck or engine lid, I believe.

I don't own a rear engine car, but these are the terms I have heard.

#6903 6 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Sure you're not an Aussie Paul?

Aussie, no. Arse, the jury is still out.

#6904 6 years ago

I created a new thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gray-vinyl-switch-cover-medium#post-4083500), but only one response from a Canadian thus far (not that I mind, but don't want to pay shipping from there for such a small part). Anyway, I just recently noticed for the first time that I'm missing a switch cover like below on the exposed switch at top right near tunnel. I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere, so was wondering if anyone had one they would be willing to part with for a modest fee?

cover.jpgcover.jpg

Update: Please ignore as TheOnlyest has provided the info I needed.

#6911 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Thats not the cover you need, its this one, and in stock.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9672
Check to see if this is still on the switch, if not, order one of these too... http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-10636

Thank you. As always, you're the man! BTW, clip is there, just no cover.

#6918 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well just wait till you see the new mod I have coming out if ya want to see something smart.

Intriguing.

#6931 6 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

Marketplace on here has them between $2500 and $3000

Here in TX, people are asking more but I think low to mid $2K's is fair before restoration and tasteful upgrades.

#6933 6 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

Isn't Texas and Florida always lower on prices?

Well, no state income tax, fuel is typically lower here, and overall cost of living is lower compared to other places. However, pinball has really taken off and I see people asking premiums (and I assume getting them) for most machines. As usual, if you have a Getaway in perfect working order, I think a bargain for a buyer would be low $2K range, but wait for the right person and you could possibly fetch $3K. With restoration and upgrades you could do even better. I bought mine a year an a half ago or so (losing track of time) for $2.1K but it needed both mechanical and cosmetic work. With everything I have done to it and the condition it is in now, I would want a premium of $3.5K to even think about selling it (which I wouldn't).

#6935 6 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I sold mine for $4350 delivered

Yes, but yours had everything including chrome plating, right? Even so, proabably like I will be in that I have more into my Getaway than it is worth, but was happy to spend money on it as my first pin.

BTW, Are you a Vol football fan? You guys are hosed with regards to getting a good coach now.

#6937 6 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

No I’m an alumni of the University of Memphis

Then happy day for you!

#6947 6 years ago
Quoted from dcannan:

Wow 6936 posts in this topic.
I very new to pin side. I can't imagine this hasn't been covered. Searching for a solution to my Getaway serving up two balls took me to a lot of discussion of different ROMs, As I never changed ROMS I didn't think it could be my problem. I remembered one time my em Fireball did that and, it turned out to be a switch in the ball trough. I removed the apron hoping it could be a simple switch adjustment or bad switch. It turned out even simpler than a switch. Some how an extra ball had gotten into the machine. Fortunately it still had the label to install 3 balls, I could have chased my tail if not for that label. Removed the extra ball and it is working fine again. BTW I normally don't pay attention to ROM version, Mine is Rev L5.

Welcome to the club! Dang, you trying to own a pin for each year old you are or something? Great collection, and wish I lived in your area as I would find a way to invite myself over. You will find some experienced and wealth of knowledge Getaway owners here, as well as relative newbies such as myself. Search is your friend, but many of us don't mind answering the same questions from years past if you have trouble finding what you are looking for.

#6949 6 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

What’s the going rate range for a getaway?
I’m thinking about parting with mine, but I haven’t watched the market on this game.

Here is something to compare to: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/56044

Also, if not aware, can look through here for ones that have sold on Pinside: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive?s=1&ad_machine_key=207

#6950 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Hmm, that doesn't sound like me!

Yeah, TheOnlyest's previous avatar was an angel, but something about it made him look a little suspect.

angel.jpgangel.jpg

#6954 6 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Has anyone replaced the Playfield Slide Assembly Left and Right sides; part A-15421-1 and 2? Or can they be repaired? Mine jam every time I lift the playfield, meaning the "arrow" piece jams to the left and right side of the rail/slide piece, and doesn't allow me to lock it up without great hasle. At this point, I have to balance the playfield on edge, sitting on the Leg Rear Guides, and try and bungee strap it to keep it from falling. Very precarious, so I hate lifting it up unless I really have to. I see Marco has them in stock. maybe I just suck it up and buy new ones. Thoughts?

I've never gotten mine to work correctly - the videos make it look so simple. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if my parts are faulty, but I would love a detailed explanation/photos/video of how the system should work and what to do when it doesn't. When I lift my PF, it never "clicks" when I pull it all the way out, when I lift it is unstable, and I have to basically lift and slide as far out as I can when vertical and basically balance it on its edge to stay up.

#6967 6 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Some good gameplay here. Start at 23:40. I need to practice after watching this.
» YouTube video

After having Pinsound with all my custom audio mixes, I can hardly watch a video with the original - guess I'm a sound snob now.

You also need to check out the "Bro, do you even pinball?" Getaway episode.

#6972 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

FYI...
Getaway was not originally designed with the PF sliders, it was an afterthought revision. Hundreds of games had already been produced, but not shipped. They went back and retrofitted all those games with the slides. The first version of the slides were shitty, they were made of crappy steel... They bent, deformed and cracked easily because the complete Getaway PF assembly weighs a ton, one of the heaviest ever... Hence this afterthought!! After several uses, they get jacked out of shape and never work right again. Add a dipshit operator that doesn't understand how they work, and they're toast in no time.
Near the end of the production run, Williams revised the slides with ones that actually worked, and continued to used them through 1994 with no issues.
The revised version of the slides (the ones that Marco and others are currently selling) are different, and made of strong quality steel. If you are one who has non-functioning and jamming sliders, you have an earlier production game, replace them, problem solved permanently. The pics that "dmacy" posted are of the revised sliders... His is either a very late production game, or someone already replaced them at some point.
Mine is also an earlier game, and I had the same issue some of you are having when I got it... I replaced both slides years ago, and not a single problem since. I also repaired all the gouged up wood (just like Chargers) and repainted the inside of the cabinet while I was at it.

Dang, now I get to spend more money on my Getaway! Props as usual for the detailed insight!

#6994 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yeah, your old ones just needed a serious visit with the vise and hammer clinic
My game when I bought it couldn't even be slid at all due to the brackets being mangled. I just bent them back to semi-normal shape. The end always spreads like that tho... good to hear the new parts are more durable for when the time comes..

Well, a little torqueing on mine this weekend, and they are as good as new. Can't tell you how excited this simple fix on my Getaway makes me!

#6996 6 years ago
Quoted from pkrobin:

If anyone can take a moment and tell me where the "female" end of this 1-pin molex connector traces to you would be helping my aging eyes out. I had the boards out and must have it trapped behind somewhere and don't want to pull them again if I don't have to. I borrowed the pic from someone in this thread, credit to him. Much appreciated, thanks.

Do you not have the means to take a close up photo of the connector in question, as it would help a lot. If you're still using a flip phone (you are the one calling yourself old) then I understand.

#7002 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

lol... Not! After a few lifts, they will be jacked up again.

Well then, they are literally "as good as new" since they were crap to begin with when they were actually new! Therefore, I stand by my declaration!

Unfortunately, already sent my wish list to Santa, so may have to wait until the new year for replacements.

#7020 6 years ago

Great, now I have to run upstairs and look to make sure mine has one. Thanks a lot!

Update | Whew, it does have it. Really wish I could do something about this OCD of mine.

#7021 6 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

They came yesterday. Install soon.

Did somebody just get their floors shined? They look nice. Is that real wood or laminate?

#7033 6 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

I'll figure something out

You can run the guides on top of the studs and get the play field vertical resting on the wood rail. This is the way I have always done it with faulty rails. Pretty stable, but you could always run bungie around backbox for insurance.

#7050 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi. Looking for an alternate translight the car one not the bimbo. Not having any luck with ministry of pinball any other sellers out there?

While I can't help you, my comment would be is that the alternate translates all seem to have Ferrari models on them when the Getaway car is clearly designed after a Lamborghini Diablo of the era (Steve Ritchie had one at the time and even drives it in the Getaway promo video).

I would be curious in making my own one day maybe, but I've never researched how to have them printed. Design would need to also work with the backbox lighting positioning.

#7059 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

. . . I can knock up my own light board.

Okay, that's an interested brag, and a little insensitive given today's sexual harassment climate. (I assume you meant "mock up" or "knock out")? BTW, in case you don't know me well enough yet, all fun and games here in the Getaway thread - nothing personal, just horsing around.

#7077 6 years ago

Allow me to summarize:

- Old ones are junk and made out of some type of low quality metal (may even vary by machine)
- Repaired or not repaired, they are still cheap junk that will fail again
- New ones are relatively cheap, made out of a superior material to the originals
- Better get your new ones while they are still available since there's a run on them at PBL

#7078 6 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

Just about finished with my playfield swap, turned out great!

Beautiful pics, but you need to pay my friend Eric at Titan Pinball a visit to get hooked up with all new silicon rings and flipper rubbers. Colors and material really complete the playfield, and let you implement a little more of your own still (e.g. I switched things up and went with all clear posts from the original red (just like yours), all red rings, blue lower flippers (it surprised me how good blue looks as it brings out the blue in the lower playfield), and yellow upper flipper). Yours appear to be old school rubber from the pics. Nothing wrong with that if such is your preference, of course, but I've had great experience with Titan products and love the play of them.

#7083 6 years ago

Hey MP, I thought you had an announcement coming (or did I miss it?)

#7091 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Mate..we say knock up over here and it has multiple meanings depending on who you are talking too. I can see how you took it the wrong way !!
Wait till I knock up an aussie flavoured pinsound mix

Can't wait to here a Getaway soundtrack backed by a didjeridu, bullroarer, and bum-leaf . . . Oi Oi Oi!

#7092 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

For Jackbot or my new mod?

New mod you mentioned coming.

#7098 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The pieces, 4 for each unit, I'm ordering 75 units are being laser cut and should be done by Wed of next week. Then I can start hand assembly. I just hope people have what's needed to put my mod into. I hope to let the cat out of the bag over the Christmas holiday. This thing took me 5 months and about 6 protos to perfect.

Intriguing.

#7103 6 years ago
Quoted from Scorch:

Wondering if you guys can help me out. During the initial test on startup, I get a diverter error. When I go through the supercharger test, the diverter opens and closes with no problem. But when playing the diverter just stays closed all the time (except for maybe 1 in 20 games it will open up and the supercharger works). Otherwise it just bypasses the supercharger.
I checked the opto on the "on ramp"in the switch test and it seems to work fine... but during play if I block the opto, nothing happens.
Would love to have anyone's ideas on what might be wrong.... one question I have though is at what point is the diverter supposed to be open? Does it open only when supercharger is lit, or does it open when supercharger is lit and a ball passes the opto?

To begin with, when "open" the diverter moves to the left so that the route of the ball is around the supercharger loop. The diverter will only "open" when one of the two SC ramp lights are on and a ball passes the opto (not before). When running L2 firmware (I can't speak for the others), at the beginning of the game the SC light will be on, so any ball making it past the ramp opto will trip the gate and route the ball around the SC, so should be easy to test. Otherwise, the ball is diverted to the left around the hairpin turn and down the wire frame to the left flipper. Also, if you hit a weak shot up the SC ramp when one of the lights is on past the opto but not high enough to hit the first magnet, it will trip the gate open when ascending and then trip it closed when descending and passing the opto on the way down (at least it's my perception that the opto being triggered as the ball descends is what closes the diverter).

Now then, if you are saying that during game play with one of the two SC ramp lights on that when a ball passes the opto that the gate does not open, then I am confused how it works perfectly in test mode and not in game play (sorry, I know that doesn't help you). Honestly, in that situation, it sounds like an opto to me. Can you take the glass off, start a game, get the SC ramp light lit, and then block the opto to see if it trips the gate (just pass something by it, as you don't have to hold it there)? Quickly pass something by a second time and I think the diverter should close.

The solenoid test will open/close the diverter (solenoid #01) repeatedly, so what happens when you do this? Additionally, you should try the switch test for opto functionality. The opto at the base of the SC ramp that trips the diverter is #84 (called different things in manual and on DMD, but #84 is correct). Put in test mode on this switch number, then pass something between the optos (your finger, a business card, etc.)to see if it consistently opens and closes (closed is default, open when path between optos is blocked). Personally, I have replaced all 5 pairs of SC optos on mine (ramp entrance, 3 magnets, and one above tunnel hole), as they were the source of constant problems (all have worked perfectly since I replaced them months ago).

If you find the solenoid to be erratic, I would suggest the following as it relates to the optos:
- If stuck open, make sure nothing is out of alignment, as there needs to be a line of site between the two
- Clean both the transmitter and receiver with cotton swab and alcohol
- Double check wiring and make sure there are no shorts, loose wires, bad solders, etc.
- Buy 5 new opto pairs and replace them all ASAP (will take some soldering skills)
- If you don't need new brackets: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=964
- Current brackets are broken, screw hole is stripped, or you just want new ones: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=167

Hope this helps, and please report back.

#7105 6 years ago

I thought we are all friends here. Just wondering why some don't show their location and also make their collection private. I get privacy, but come on! How am I supposed to plan my world travels with destinations based upon me being able to show up at your house uninvited to play your pins?

#7106 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

That was beyond funny Grump !

Yeah, until I clicked on the link when I was at work!

#7109 6 years ago

So during testing, everything works and responds correctly, but during gameplay it does not. One would think that if it was a mechanical or electronic issue then it would fail at all times. I do find the "diverter error" at startup intriguing even though the diverter works.

Did you clean the optos? Also, did you "play" by hand instead of real game play to force the action you want (I wonder if the optos are week and the ball is not tripping it at speed)?

Everything I've read from other on the topic seems to come down to opto replacement, but I don't want to steer you wrong. Going to need someone with more experience than me to chime in at this point.

#7114 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

I added a Pinduino controlled RGB strip to the SuperCharger ramp. Right now I have it programmed to be off during normal game play but then have a fast red chase effect that follows the ball as it whips around. Pretty impressed with it. I'll take a video when I have a chance. The attached picture is just during attract mode which has the strip fading through colors.

I love my MP inspired SC led strip that is hooked into the middle intake flasher. Really adds to the light show. Would love to see your pinduino in action on video.

#7119 6 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

This is in my MIL’s basement bar. I could have it if I could just get it 850 miles home. Would be sweet to hook it up to the pin’s traffic light. Yea, it’s a real traffic light.

Now there's a Getaway topper! Would be awesome to have it coordinate with the stoplight in the game.

What state is she in? If closer to me, maybe I could have it?

#7138 6 years ago

Do any of you guys own a Medieval Madness? I'm looking for a small favor.

#7142 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

We`ve been married for 26 years and i think she has truly learned the art of selective hearing so i think im safe from the couch tonight. For now.

If you like, you can ship it to me and I'll store it in my house. I have a great spot a few inches under the glass of my Getaway cabinet.

#7153 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

I got a rough video of my Pinduino controlled supercharger ramp LEDs uploaded:
» YouTube video
The ramp lights are still in attract mode when the game first starts. Watch for the shot up the supercharger ramp for the red "chase" effect.

Well done. I love the chasers!

#7167 6 years ago

Since I received an action camera for Christmas, I thought I would take some new videos of game play with various PinSound mixes. Setup is PinSound with upgraded stereo speakers and bass. The sound from the action camera is somewhat limited, but it gives a good idea of what the orchestrations are like (sound is significantly better in real life). Also, entire purpose of these videos was to demonstrate PinSound, so no snarky remarks about my gameplay!

Standard Orchestration:

ZZ Top Orchestration:

ZZ Top Techno Orchestration:

U2 Orchestration:

Mixed Artist "I Can't Drive 55" Orchestration:

Link to all my Getaway orchestrations: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/22-getaway

#7170 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

About to get my first Getaway after new years.I like all the mods for this game.Mountain mod looks great ,but I noticed some look better than others ? Also donut mod ? Cars ?
Who has the best mods ?
Looking to do color dmd,full leds, lighted speaker panel, game was in a collection and wrapped n stored for 10 yrs,any suggestions on best roms etc ?
Thanks

Congrats! Mezel mods has a few toys, read through this forum and you will see a lot of good homemade add-ones, and I think you will find that most go with L2 ROM and many with L5 (there are posts here explaining the difference).

#7173 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Must be the the new batteries !

Shucks, beat me to it.

#7183 6 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Does anybody have any side-by-side comparison photos of the CPR Getaway backglass? I’d like to see how the colors look vs the original.

Search the thread for “CPR” (if you haven’t already) and you will see some clear examples and honest feedback.

#7192 6 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

I’m trying to maximize my gameplay. At one of the pinball league nights I’m in, they have a Getaway. Trying to dominate it during league play. What do you all think about activating Secret Mania? Is it worth it?

Absolutely.not. What is worth it is taking advantage of free ride to step through the gears faster (along with opportunity for more points), also 5th gear only and hang to the left for video mode. How many balls and what kind of scores are you talking about?

#7197 6 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Are you talking about letting the ball drain on purpose to help get through the tach/gears more quickly? If so, I'd say no, never... especially in a tournament/league setting.

Yes, and I've watched tournament play videos where this feature was enabled and players used it to the fullest (it can be risky depending upon timing). Hey, I'm never to proud to take advantage of any loopholes. If it is a "rule" then I'm sure there is a way to disable the feature. Also, as others have stated, the situation may dictate when to try this or not. With one or two balls locked, you can sometimes get 3 drains in lower gears and 2 in higher. With 2 balls locked, I've had drains with the light still flashing for what seemed like 2-3 seconds and I ended up losing the ball (which is why I never drain in this situation).

What also helps scoring it taking advantage of the supercharger whenever possible (i.e. make the shot instead of messing around). Nothing like up to a cool 10M throughout the game to boost scores. Finally, practice multi-ball and getting to the super jackpot as this can add up to 100M per SJ. Once you understand what is required, it is not too terribly difficult with any luck keeping at least 2 balls alive.

#7198 6 years ago

FYI, did some quick searching and here is a YouTube of the IFPA 7 World Pinball Championship on the Getaway in 2010. Play close attention starting at 1:05 and then at 13:12 and you will see purposeful center ball drains by both players to take advantage of the Free Ride (probably in other spots too, these are just two times I saw it skimming through the video).

Bottom line, I think it is fine. Bush league? Maybe. Within the rules? Definately. Do you have to use this to get high scores? Of course not. Hey, I respect how anyone wants to play as long as it is within the rules. Heck, I might even learn something watching them. If you care about what others think or their impression of you (typically, not an issue with me), then maybe this is not your move. If you want to be competitive as can be and win within the rules presented (quite typical of me), then you should perfect this move. What I bet happens if you begin to use this strategy is that others start copying you!

#7200 6 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Perhaps you're right but I'm not a fan of intentionally draining to get more spots on the rpm. I know it's within the "rules" and maybe it's just me but it's painful to watch someone draining the ball 2-3x in a row before they start to play the game.

Well then, if you and I ever go head-to-head at a game of Getaway we'll just have to be sure to agree upon the rules before pressing the start button (or turning the key if we're playing mine).

Also, bet if you were pumping quarters in it at an arcade you might reconsider.

BTW, been meaning to ask you about your Avatar. Were you / are you into BMX (assumption on my part based on the bike, as I know nothing about the sport), a fond childhood memory, or just a cool bike that you like?

#7206 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi all. Chasing a new full set of plastics - can't find any stockists anyone help?
Cheers

If your set is complete and not terribly scratched or yellowed you can restore them. Happy to describe process I followed.

#7209 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Yes please do!
I'm familiar with flame polishing but it doesn't get rid of the yellowing.

Well, I did not have yellowing issues, just really dull and all bent/wavy.

Before flattening as outlined below, I thoroughly cleaned both sides using Novus 1. I then polished the tops only using Novus 2 and a polisher wheel that fits my drill (low-medium speed so as not to melt the plastic). I then used Novus 1 again to clean buffing residue and the result was a very nice, clean, shiny finish. FYI, I did all this on a workbench with the plastics sitting on a towel so I would not scratch the bottoms during the process. Also,I first tried buffing by hand before using my chordless drill which lead to no noticible improvement.

Then off to flattening everything: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/85#post-3476073

#7211 6 years ago

Wanted to ask you guys who bought the light up speaker panel what your thoughts are on it after having it for awhile. I'm interested in the basic white version that utilizes the existing panel. Specific questions include . . .

- How easy was installation? For now, I use a red plastic filter to color the orange DMD, would I still be able to do this?
- I currently already have speak lighting, do you think I could still incorporate?
- How is it powered, and does it automatically turn on and off when the power switch is flipped?
- Any other input?

#7214 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

My playfield finally arrived today, so beautiful.

Gorgeous! Keep us posted with pics on the swap.

#7216 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

It will be awhile, getting a new cabinet built as well.

Hmm, if you need to store it somewhere for awhile, I know a place in Fort Worth, TX. I would take such good care of it, and even keep it under glass.

#7217 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Wanted to ask you guys who bought the light up speaker panel what your thoughts are on it after having it for awhile. I'm interested in the basic white version that utilizes the existing panel. Specific questions include . . .
- How easy was installation? For now, I use a red plastic filter to color the orange DMD, would I still be able to do this?
- I currently already have speak lighting, do you think I could still incorporate?
- How is it powered, and does it automatically turn on and off when the power switch is flipped?
- Any other input?

chirp, chirp, chrip (sound of crickets) . . . anybody?

#7220 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

I don't know if I can help you as I have the complete version. It is all one big assembly, but I love how it lights up the speakers and the entire panel.

Well, I would value your input on installation, how its powered (on/off), build quality, etc.

#7223 6 years ago

Great and helpful feedback guys, thank you. I do have a service outlet so that will not be an issue. Sounds funny, but I didn't want to have to turn it on and off manually (I'm lazy like that).

After having my Pinsound for about 10 months, I finally felt secure enough to let me original sound card go. Now I have a little coin burning a hole in my pocked to spend on my Getaway, so thought the lighted speaker panel might be the best gizmo to buy.

Pinstadium lights are cool, but I don't need them with how I've lit my playfield and extra lights I've added in the GI. Pinuindo (sp?) is cool, but I've already added supercharger LEDs that I like (thanks MP). Color DMD (Pin2DMD) is something I already have, but slowly working on colorization (snail's pace).

#7224 6 years ago

Oh man, I think I was reading the price wrong. For some reason I had $129 in my head for the basic instead of $159 + shipping. Still considering, but now I need to add to my pinball fund.

#7230 6 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

So the relay board pulls power from somewhere else? I don't understand how something gets shut off when power is still there.

I don't either, but I watched a video of their lighting pop bumpers and they work the same. A transformer plugs into the service outlet and then it connects to a relay board that connects to the pops. One would think there has to be some other connection to a circuit that signifies power is on or off of the pin.

#7233 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Any new speaker panels available?
Thanks

Contact this guy: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1032-lighted-pinball-mods/00934-the-getaway-highspeed2-hs2-colored-led-speakerpanel-ultimate

If you look at the bottom it states: "New speaker plastic for limited games - $99.99", so he may have Getaway as I know he made some.

#7235 6 years ago

About a year ago or so, another Getaway owner made their extra Getaway plastic model available to me (I think this was included in the recent past with a 3rd party produced Getaway plastic set). Anyway, its been sitting on top of my backbox since then and I've been telling myself that I need to light it up. Well, today was the day. I crafted a simple base out of 1x4 pine, cut slots in the top for the base to sit in, painted it black, put some rubber feed on the bottom, lit up with some extra Comet matrix lights I had laying around and a spot light cone, and voila - a lit Getaway topper. I did notice that I could see bleed from the side of the light strip, so I placed some heat shrink tubing in front of it with some double sided tape which resolved my issue.

IMG_6138.JPGIMG_6138.JPG
IMG_6139.JPGIMG_6139.JPG
IMG_6142.JPGIMG_6142.JPG
IMG_6143.JPGIMG_6143.JPG

#7239 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Thanks for the heads up,picked up my first Getaway now it's time to tear it apart.

Congrats, and welcome to the club. From what I can see the cabinet looks great. BTW, how do you play your pins when they are sideways like that?

Wow, just looked at your collection which is quite impressive! Are all of these home pins or are you an operator? I would really love to own an Attack from Mars (who wouldn't) but well out of my price range. Let me know when you run out of space and need somewhere to store yours.

#7245 6 years ago
Quoted from bbriese:

While we're on the subject of toppers, Last month I decided to add some blue up there because to me that red light looks more like an ambulance than a cop car, and it's been bugging me for a while. So here's what I did:
1. Tapped into the beacon motor & light AC power source (which is something like 16-17VAC??) and fed it through a 12VDC converter from EBay. Redid the molex connector (the last one in the circtuit before the motor & lamp) so that it still fed the lamp and motor but also branched off into the 12VDC converter, and mounted the converter to the upper right side of the head.
2. Bought a couple of 12" long Knight Rider blue 12VDC lights off ebay which have a canned chase/strobe/blink routine built in.
3. Added comet matrix plugs to the LED strips.
4. Notched a small hole in the perforated head panel for the LED wire leads to run into the cabinet.
5. Stuck the LEDs to the back of the head with the double stick tape,one on each side of the beacon. I liked them in the back because the blue point lighting is more diffused and not blasting right into your eyes.
6. Plugged it all together
And viola. For about $20 and a couple hours I solved it. It is really easy to un-do and everything is up in the head so no issues with running long wire runs all over. Here are the component links and a quick video of the finished product. It looks kickasssss...at least to me anyways.
ebay.com link » Smakn Ac Dc To Dc Converter Ac 16 28v Dc 16 40v Step Down To 12v 5a Power Supply
ebay.com link » 1 X Dc 12v 30cm 3528 32led Knight Rider Flash Strobe Scanner Neon Strip Light B
» YouTube video

Love it! Very nice. I'm with you on the red vs. blue which is why I went with all blue pop bumper caps/leds on mine. I've also incorporated blue with my lower flipper rubbers and some of the insert lighting (e.g. Super Jackpot). I really like how it blends in the blues from the playfield and makes it a littler more "police".

#7247 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

No luck with Speaker panel , if anyone has a new one available I will take it, with lighted speaker panel, color dmd, I can't leave a scratched one in there
Thanks Ken

Will take some searching, but I seem to recall someone in the past reprinting one (don't remember if in this forum or not). Wasn't an exact match, but close enough for a non-original reproduction.

Here it is, might want to chase this lead down: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/111#post-3665901

#7252 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

No luck with Speaker panel , if anyone has a new one available I will take it, with lighted speaker panel, color dmd, I can't leave a scratched one in there
Thanks Ken

Not sure how hard it would be for me to reproduce the artwork (probably within my ability), but I don't have tools/tech to cut the plastic (especially the holes), and would have to outsource the printing. Also, probably risk a nice cease and desist notice from our little friend at PPS.

#7253 6 years ago

Well, I've piled all of the proceeds from my various pinball related stuff sales I've had and put it down on one of the basic light up speaker panels (thanks to everyone who has contribution to my fund). From the day I bought this pin (my first and only thus far), I thought that the gauges needed to be lit somehow. I know there are some DIYs out there, but for whatever reason I never wanted to take it on. I think this relatively turnkey solution will be what I need, and really looking forward to it. Since I will be using my current panel, my plan is to just cut out black backing on all gauges/buttons to see how that looks. I know that some completely remove the black backing to light the entire panel, but I figure if I do that first it will be difficult to go back.

Anyway, not sure how long it will take to get here, but I'll post pics of the work and results for those of you who are considering this mod.

#7264 6 years ago
Quoted from finalquest:

Hi guys.
I'm joining the club.
Yesterday, after 5 days of debugging, I finally made my supercharger work.
» YouTube video
Regards

Welcome to the club - and repairing the SC is a right of passage on this pin! If you haven't done so already, this entire thread is must read. Bite a little off before you go to bead every night, and you will learn all kinds of stuff about Getaway in no time. The group here is incredibly friendly, and comfortable to the point were we don't mind jabbing each other now and then, so don't be afraid to ask what's on your mind. Enjoy the pin, and congrats!

#7278 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Debatable! Not referring to you of course, but there are a few regulars in here that I have blocked because they are total douchers. At least I assume they're all still regulars, I obviously don't see any of their posts, and i've had them blocked for probably close to 2 years...

Every family has its quarrels, but I would say we all get along the vast majority of the time. Things can get intense, but at least in my experience here they have never gotten personal (can't speak for you or anyone else, of course). Overall, however, the good in this thread exceedingly outweighs the negative. When I was a fresh noob to Pinball, I found this thread incredibly informative and supportive. Now that I've been in it for nearly a couple of years, I don't mind the occasional scolding when I should know better

#7279 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Thanks, and yes, we test each board in our Getaway in the factory and record the speed attained in the test with each board.

Hmm, so obviously several elements when it comes to obtaining supercharger speed. From what I can think of with my limited knowledge: driver board (I assume this controls voltages and other important elements), magnet strength, opto performance, ball magnetization, cleanliness of loop, etc.

Just makes me curious as to what level of impact the driver board plays in comparison to the other factors. In other words, at what point is it worth changing it out? The faster the balls fly around the loop the cooler it seems, but is there a point at which the timing of the gate is disrupted, or is all of this programmatically tied together regardless of ball speed?

On a side note, I made the mistake once of waxing the inside of my loop and this actually hurt my performance (I figured that slicker would be better). I'm assuming because the ball was sliding across the surface instead of rolling. From that point, I now just keep everything nice and clean with a degreaser.

#7286 6 years ago

I was flattered today when I came across these VP videos on YouTube. One used one of my customer PinSound orchestrations (professional voice files courtesy of Mike_M) and the other used it as a foundation but with 70's music. Also, both are using my Donut Heaven ball capture cover design.

#7291 6 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Set with a standard 3 ball game! Got 3 red line manias in the process. Then I ran upstairs and posted it here, lol.

Well done.

#7294 6 years ago
Quoted from bimm25i:

Just joined the club!! Excited to play but my backbox was removed and I have to play "connect the wires"
Can someone please post some high res images of inside the backbox focusing on where jumpers are plugged in?
Thanks!!

Welcome to the club. See where you can get with what you have from Tiltmonster & others, then post pics of unknowns and I'd be happy to take some hi-res close-ups for you.

#7302 6 years ago

Well, I have my first fitting for my light up speaker panel, and it is pretty awesome!

Significant work, however. I opted to mod my existing plastic which took some effort carefully cutting out the black backing to allow the light through to the gauges. As you can see by the pics, I actually used the new light up panel as a light table so I could see where to score and remove backing that covered all the gauges. Then actual installation required some thought since I wanted to utilize my red speaker lights (resembles Diablo tail lights), and since I have upgraded speakers that require custom standoff’s, not to mention I’ve replaced the tiny right speaker with a larger one that matches the left (the hole is smaller on panel, and mounts are different.

I’m noticing some white light bleed around the speakers and DMD, so I will work on this tomorrow. I also still have to figure out the relay since the instructions don’t match exactly what I received. Even so, very happy with how it looks, and another couple hours of work should make it just about perfect.

4102D0BC-3A29-4E54-8781-3B6F271DFCFF.jpeg4102D0BC-3A29-4E54-8781-3B6F271DFCFF.jpeg
AE98EF0F-C5A4-4562-8F21-DF582FE2EA12.jpegAE98EF0F-C5A4-4562-8F21-DF582FE2EA12.jpeg
8B60FC6F-A29F-4B28-8C95-FBF87A51F2DD.jpeg8B60FC6F-A29F-4B28-8C95-FBF87A51F2DD.jpeg
E7D80808-87CE-44D7-A56F-FB8FD387081E.jpegE7D80808-87CE-44D7-A56F-FB8FD387081E.jpeg
CAD557F1-FD1F-4CC2-8750-CD543FC0865C.jpegCAD557F1-FD1F-4CC2-8750-CD543FC0865C.jpeg
FF750D0C-0251-4355-B21B-BEDABA9E23B9.jpegFF750D0C-0251-4355-B21B-BEDABA9E23B9.jpeg
E0F11BF6-8640-437F-978F-D0118A127F78.jpegE0F11BF6-8640-437F-978F-D0118A127F78.jpeg

#7306 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

...that's a bunch of work.

I'm cheep, what can I say. Purchasing the new plastic would have been much easier and saved several hours, but I had fun doing the project. Already up early this morning touching up and finalizing everything since we're having company tonight.

For those of you considering this mod, I wanted to let you know that you can see on the back of the panel that my circles are far from perfect (my straight lines are because I used a straight edge when scoring). However, when you turn the panel over it looks perfect and you can't tell. I just tried to keep it as close as I could to the full circular graphic.

Now just need to make time to get some significant work done on my Pin2DMD colorization project.

#7307 6 years ago

For you guys who have already installed a lighted speaker panel, can you please point me to the directions on how to connect the relay to the game so that the panel powers off when I turn off the pin?

#7309 6 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Not sue how you connected yours but my power comes from the service box which is plugged into the relay which is then plugged into the panel

This is how I have it wired except the one point I don’t understand is the long white cable that plugs into the relay board. It has two wires (red and black) with red having a bare end and black having a screw hole connector. I obviously have to connect this to the game somehow since I am sure that is what sends the signal to the relay that game power is on.

#7310 6 years ago

Made all of the adjustments I wanted, and now looks even better. Still trying to figure out relay install, but until then I will just use remote for on/off. Even looks awesome during day, and can’t wait to see it at night.

45847902-6D06-44FC-87E5-109D52AA2230.jpeg45847902-6D06-44FC-87E5-109D52AA2230.jpeg
AB1AB3F1-37EA-4F0E-A07D-363010EB78F2.jpegAB1AB3F1-37EA-4F0E-A07D-363010EB78F2.jpeg

#7313 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

That looks bad ass! As far as the power on and off, if you have the power supply plugged into the service outlet it will always be on. You are using the remote to turn off the lights but power supply is still on costing you electricity. The best way is to change the outlet to switch on and off with the power switch.

Yes, but they supply a relay board that has a cable that somehow connects to your circuitry. There is a connection from the service outlet to the relay board, then from the relay board to the light panel and also from the relay board to a cable that should connect somewhere on the pin that detects when power is on/off. When the relay detects that the pin is on then it allows power to pass from the outlet to the light panel. Small thing, but I would like for it to work. I just don't want to start connecting wires where they shouldn't be.

#7314 6 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Nice work.
You could use/buy a circle template used for mechanical drawing and an exacto knife with a small blade, it may do the trick.

Thanks for the advice, good idea next time I need to cut circles.

#7317 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

To bad you couldn't get the parts on the top of the panel cut out and lit up.

I thought about it, but no turning back. I'm going to start with just the gauges then at some point may do the dashboard top as well. I believe this pic is the panel you can buy from him that comes w/o any black backing and is fully lit up.

#7318 6 years ago

Okay, mine is similar but a little difference since he's moved to an RF control for the lights instead of IR. So, you see that 6 pin molex plugged into the relay board? It has a black/red pair with white insulation that is a really long cable. I'm guessing from your third pic that the same white cable is shown coming up from the cabinet, and that this cable is somehow wired into what looks like some sort of white power supply (which I don't have).

I also found this video, but I don't speak French. The guy pointed everything out and came right up to the point, but never connected it. Start at 11:30 in the vid and you will see the long white cable I am referring to and the two wires it has. Again, I don't speak French, but looks like he is saying to ground the one via screw to the circuit board and the other to one of the molex connectors.

#7320 6 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Didn't finish uploading pics

We have a winner! Awesome, as this is exactly what I needed - thank you!!!

#7324 6 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

You're welcome, good luck! I know you this is stupid to say but make sure the machine is off when making these connections

Just got it all hooked up, and now panel comes on with pin is on and turns off when pin is off. BTW, I did all the work with the machine on while standing in water barefoot and wearing metal gloves (is there an emoji for smart@$$)?

Seriously, I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me and the pics were great!

#7325 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This wall wart is powered 24/7 and cost money every month.

Previously, I mentioned I was cheap. However, I am also lazy. Sometimes those two things are diametrically opposed, so I just have to go one way or the other - in this case, lazy wins (well, until I notice a difference in my electric bill).

#7328 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yes that's his panel but it still has the mask on the back.

Thanks for the clarification. Hard to tell since in a well lit room. Have you come across any pics in a dark room that shows what it looks like?

#7335 6 years ago

Thought I would let all you PinSounders know that I'm working on a new orchestration.

First Hint:

This group dropped their second album less than 6 months before Getaway was released (why I thought the band's music would be a good theme), and immediately impacted the musical landscape and left their mark on rock history forever.

#7339 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Here it is, I just posted it last night, check out my topic. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/volcano-a-new-mod-from-mustangpaul Here's a sneak peek.

Light it up, baby! Awesome work and creativity.

#7340 6 years ago

Second hint (this one will give it away):

Their album released just before Getaway had a cover that was pretty controversial with the parents (especially those with daughters), and it featured a swimming pool.

#7342 6 years ago

Third Hint:

Original 3 member band where when original group ended the drummer went on to lead his own band to greatness (however, didn't play drums in his new group), having earned four Best Rock Album Grammy Awards.

That's all for today, as I've been writing these hints while working on the orchestration. My first draft is completely done, just have to upload to USB, plugin, and give it a try to see what needs tweaking. Unfortunately, my time is up as we have guests coming soon. My hope would be to have completed by tomorrow and posted to PinSound forum for review & public access (not always quick).

Anyway, throw some guesses out there if you care to play my little game, and I'll try to check in late tonight.

#7344 6 years ago

Ah, I didn’t think of that but it fits well. However all US natives in my group.

Not sure that album cover features a swimming pool, and what would parents find offensive about that artwork (FYI, the cover I described is an actual photo)?

PS, Love the vinyl collection.

#7347 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Cant be Genesis as they have been around since the 70`s.
Im thinking Nirvana Smells like Teen Spirit.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

New orchestration features all Nirvana tracks, many from the Nevermind album.

#7350 6 years ago

I actually heard the guy on that cover interviewed on the 25th anniversary of the album. He was a good sport, but a lot of funny things in the interview about his naked baby pic being on millions of albums.

#7364 6 years ago

Well, my 8th custom Pinsound orchestration for the Getaway is complete. I've tested and made some tweaks, so the only thing left is to upload to the Pinsound forum and await their release to the public for download.

The musical theme is all Nirvana (mostly songs from NEVERMIND) with the main track being Smells Like Teen Spirit, of course, along with the opening guitar riff repeating before ball launch. After playing a couple of games I like the orchestration, but there can seem to be a juxtaposition between the defeatist grunge lyrics & musical tones to the high speed action of the game. However, if you like Nirvana, then I think you will enjoy the theme as I've tried to match song to each particular event as best I could, and edited many of the tracks for best effect (i.e. I don't just plug in the songs from their beginning). Besides, I now keep 5 different orchestrations on my Pinsound, so I can just switch to another whenever I get tired of one, and I suggest everyone do the same (see my guide to Pinsound thread if you don't know how to do this - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound).

Not sure when I'll get a chance to shoot a gameplay video, but I'll see what I can do. I'll also email Nicholas at Pinsound to see if we can expedite the orchestration approval.

Enjoy!

PS: I'm not committing to make every one of them, but if any of you have an idea for a new orchestration and you don't have the ability to create your own, then let me know. I'll throw it out to the group, and if there is enough interest then I'll do my best to produce it as I have time.

#7366 6 years ago

I was able to record a game featuring the Nirvana Pinsound orchestration for Getaway. Used my iPhone so was limited on lens angle, but gives you a good idea of most of the music (15+ minute game with multi-ball, red line mania, and other events that feature a variety of songs). I had the camera mounted to the glass, so you see lots of vibration that correlates to the bass.

#7367 6 years ago

Has anyone attempted to implement this mod?

#7372 6 years ago
Quoted from bimm25i:

Yes it does
Also you can see my missing ramp flap in this one

If anyone has a source for a ramp flap,rivets, rivet tool id appreciate it

I had same issue when I bought mine except someone had bent the heck out of the ramp so that the ball would still ascend it. I found someone in the group that updated their ramp flaps and sold me their old ones, then I used regular pop rivets that have worked perfectly. However, I've since found the correct rivets at my local Ace Hardware but having taken the time to redo them.

#7375 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

I think this would make great theme music for Getaway... » YouTube video

I like it! That's cool for the theme, but what would you do with the rest of the tunes? Maybe can find a variety of similarly done songs that work?

#7377 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's good, now take it off and clean it and wire in a red flex led under the pf to shine up into it. It lights up way cool then.

Yeah, make it look something like this (although since this pic I've traded out for a dual red flex).

tunnel.jpgtunnel.jpg

#7380 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Well, I didnt really think it all the way through, I don't have Pinsound, and I have no plans to upgrade to it at this point.

I looked around for a few minutes, and there seem to be a few songs in this same manner that would work. I might take the time to flesh it out sometime, but I think an all rock instrumental from various artists would work well.

#7382 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

You wouldn't happen to know the correct size or part number for the ramp rivets would you? Did you install your current ones without a rivet press of did you use a regular hand held rivet tool? Thanks.

Used a hand rivet tool (attached ramp from playfield, of course). Not sure what size as I just went over to my neighbors house who had a whole mess of them, and we found some that fit correctly. If you search through this thread for "rivet", you may find the right type and size whenever I was going through it I posted a lot and others were helpful.

However, if you purchase a ramp package they may come with the required rivets. I forget what you call the rivets that have a solid dome on top, but these would be the standard parts.

#7385 6 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Wich one did you use / where did you buy it? I doo like the gauges mod a lot. much better than the washed out allover illuminated one. It'S crisp. Really nice!

So I purchased the basic panel from Lighted Pinball Mods: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1032-lighted-pinball-mods/01035-the-getaway-highspeed2-hs2-colored-led-speakerpanel-basic

With the basic panel, you only get white light (although it still has a remote and has about 10 brightness levels) and no speaker lights (I was able to make my existing ones fit). Also, you actually utilize your existing speaker panel plastic, unless you want to purchase a new one at an additional cost from LPM. When you use your own, it is up to you to decide where to remove the black backing so that light shines through (FYI, I actually used the new panel on my desk as a backlight so that I could see where to remove the black backing). I have chosen, for now at least, to remove from behind all of the switches and gauges, as well as the lettering that designates what the switch/gauge is. I think that this is actually how the one you purchase from LPM is in addition to theirs letting the dashboard cover light up, but their photos have lots of ambient light so it makes it look like the entire panel is lit up.

I did find these examples, but these were early and don't show the lettering or the dashboard cover lit up:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warning-this-thread-may-cost-you-money-comments-please/page/4#post-3389319
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warning-this-thread-may-cost-you-money-comments-please/page/9#post-3740316

#7386 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Thanks for the info .

As a point of clarification, I "detached" the ramp assembly from the playfield to perform the rivet job, and did not do it while in place - I think spell correct got me on that one.

Also, don't know if you have an Ace Hardware where you live, but like I mentioned I've since found the correct rivet type there. My store has a section in back with hundreds of little bins/drawers with all kinds of various fasteners, spacers, etc. where the rivets were. FYI, I can't tell you how many pinball fixer upper parts I've been able to use from this section in Ace.

#7387 6 years ago

FYI, I made a couple of updates to my Mixed Artist Pinsound mix available here (v7 in the list): http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/22-getaway

After I played several times, I didn't really care for "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest, so replaced that tune with "Cars". Also, made a couple of other minor tweaks (extended one song that was too short, changed intro point for another, etc.)

#7388 6 years ago

Thought I'd give the speedo speaker magnets a try. I think I like them better than just the red rings.

before.jpgbefore.jpg
IMG_6149.jpgIMG_6149.jpg
IMG_6151.jpgIMG_6151.jpg

#7390 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

They look sharp.

I like them, but not sure what the fellas over in the "Rainbow Puke Club" thread would think overall about all of my lighting mods.

At least I use white in all GI (that's their #1 pet peeve).

#7404 6 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Curious. If mustangpaul’s has sunken inserts and superbee has raised inserts. Maybe it’s how it’s stored while the clear is curing?
Was yours stored upside down or tilted forward by chance superbee?

Need it on an automatic rotisserie at one revolution per hour for 6 months to equalize gravity.

Seriously, very disappointing to spend bucks on a new playfield and still have issues. PS, how do manufacturers do it? I doubt they produce all of their playfields months in advance.

#7405 6 years ago

Darn, a dead column appeared on my DMD during play today. Reseated power & data (both ends) but did not resolve. Guess I really need to get busy on my Pin2DMD colorization now (it is quite a bit more difficult than I expected).

#7406 6 years ago

Take a look at my shiny balls. Pyramids of pinballs, that is. Here is some cool math if you are interested regarding Kepler's conjecture that was not fully proven unitl 1998.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/the-400yearold-kepler-conjecture-that-your-local-greengrocer-knows-how-to-solve-20170621-gwvjd5.html
https://brilliant.org/wiki/sphere-packing

IMG_6152.JPGIMG_6152.JPG
IMG_6153.JPGIMG_6153.JPG
IMG_6154.JPGIMG_6154.JPG

#7407 6 years ago

Questions aren't stupid, people are!

StupidQuestions.jpgStupidQuestions.jpg

#7411 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Man that's a bummer.

Yeah, those 20+ year old, high voltage, gas sealed, DMD's should be a little more reliable.

On the plus side, I have my Pin2DMD installed, and I've done a few things with the colorization. A long way to go, plus I need to figure out why stuff that I thought should be working is not. Even so, I love the brightness and sharpness of the 12 volt LED DMD.

1 week later
#7419 6 years ago

Obey the warning signs - it’s the law.

Even so, we don’t care about the car as long as you are safe. Who am I kidding? We don’t care about you as long as the car is safe!

#7425 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Ron Kruzman described what was happening to mine really well in his playfield thread. He says that because the wood is soft and the inserts are hard, the clear settles differently. Sounds like my inserts are not actually lifting but the clear has settled more on the wood versus the inserts. He says it should settle down with time and after its been played a while. He said it does happen to his playfields once in a while. Not much you can do when your dealing with different surfaces. Especially when your buying a production playfield which is not cleared anywhere near the skill involved with doing custom work like Rons. There are no cracks in the clear and the rise is soo small,(wont affect ball travel ) im ready to go ahead and start my swap in the next few weeks. Keep ya posted.

Can hardly wait to see it. Going to make some wall art out of your old one?

#7427 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Nope. It's overall in pretty good shape so I plan on selling it once I'm done the swap.

Or since you live in Canada, you could just convert it to a sled and luge/skeleton to your heart's content (it is Olympic season, you know).

#7432 6 years ago
Quoted from bimm25i:

Just bought 2 so I hope so
Thanks!

That part number came directly from the manual for all 3 coils.

However, I am stuck in an airplane that landed in a different city due to weather and running low on fuel, so hopefully the stress isn’t getting to me.

Ironically enough, I watched Airplane late last night in my hotel room.

#7434 6 years ago

All good, just landed home and only 5 hours late.

#7437 6 years ago
Quoted from huo:

Just got a nice Getaway recently and finally. Everything shoots nice and I'm able to do loops. But I'm not able to loop and go up the ramp. I did vacuum, novus 2 & wax and new balls. The upper flipper seems to flip fine. Currently at 6.5 degrees. Anyone else not able to make it up the ramp?

Sorry, but could you please explain in a little more detail. Are you saying that when you catch a ball with your right lower flipper and hit the left side of the loop with the ramp down that it will not make it to the ball lock?

Or the answer is yes to that them my first place to look would be at the coil assembly. Make sure there is no binding at all when the flipper is activated (do it by hand from above and below the playfield with machine off). If the joints don’t move freely or too freely to where they bind then make the necessary righting or loosening adjustment on the bolts/nuts. Also check by feel if the rod slides easily in/out of the coil sleeve to make sure the coil has not swollen.

Could be other electrical causes, but above has solved some of my flipper issues with the limited experience I have.

Finally, if you can’t resolve a video might me good to illustrate your issue.

#7444 6 years ago
Quoted from huo:

I just replaced the coil sleeve and the flipper is getting the ball through the loop and up the ramp. Now the flippers getting a little stuck but I just need to adjust it.
I have L-1 code. Which might be the first release? Is it worth changing the roms out?

I went to L2 from my original L1 which seems to be the most preferred around here (I think L5 has a following also). If you will do some searching in this thread, there are some good posts that detail all the differences in the various versions.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin#post-1407040

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/116#post-3703081

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/129#post-3870384

#7447 6 years ago
Quoted from huo:

I’ll go L-2, thanks. I replaced the batteries but about once a day on startup is restores to factory defaults. Maybe the battery contacts arent tight enough?

Hmmm, could be corrosion or loose connection somewhere. I've replaced my batteries with an EPROM, but may be a bigger task than you want to undertake. Start simple, check your leads on the circuit board, contacts on battery holder, etc. May even want to get a look at the back of the circuit board to see if anything needs cleaned up.

#7450 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi all. Just starting my Getaway restore hoping for help with a couple of things along the way.
Is this spring in the picture a retro fit or is it meant to be there?
Also I notice the flipper switches are just leaf spring type. The buttons had no springs in them is this normal as well?
As I plan to put illuminated ones in. Thanks for any help or advice.
PS I have a new playfield going in as well as discussed above which has been sitting flat for 3 months. Looks beautiful.

That stray eyelet and spring have to go as they are not original.
The original flipper buttons are B-12273-4 which are no spring (http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-5026-32)

#7471 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Just something I made for my game.

I think the question is "can you please show/teach me to make the same thing for my game?" If the answer is "I already have", then can you post the link?

Thanks, and I hope all is well in Grumpy land!

#7477 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I could if there was any interest, I was thinking of selling a kit . . .

Capitalist pig!

#7478 6 years ago
Quoted from huo:

I’ve got a Cirsa version of Getaway. The only two things I’ve noticed that are different is a Cirsa logo in the top right of the translite and covering up the W logo on the center of the apron. Translites in pretty good condition. Worth it to get the mirrored cpr backglass?
Seems like the apron Getaway decals are sold out, anyone have a spare?

Please educate me, what is a "Cirsa version of Getaway"?

#7479 6 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I have it on my pin and I really like it so I would say some people like the backglass and others do not. I posted some photos a while back of the backglass vs the translite so you could see the difference
page 144 post #7184

What I would say to this is that just about everyone who has posted that actually bought one loves it, but there are several negative opinions from those who have not bought it and have only seen photos. May be one of those things where 1) photos just don't do it justice but the real experience is great and/or 2) those who have spent $$$ are predispositioned to not dislike it. Personally, I don't have one and my translate is in good condition. If I did need a new one, I would trust the opinions of my fellow Getaway owners that own the backglass, and buy one for myself.

#7480 6 years ago

Any of you regulars going to be at TPF this year? Me and my son will be there on Saturday.

#7482 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I take it your not interested then. One less thing....

Well, I could be talked into beta testing in exchange for a free kit (might even write-up a positive review if you grease my palm a little).

Just hope the PPS Nazis don't threaten to sue you for selling something that enhances a pinball machine without their express written permission and healthy cut that they weren't creative enough to think up on their own. Am I ranting again? Sorry, I really must control myself.

#7492 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi all.
Well into my restore now. Has anyone ever blacked out or swapped out the yellow traffic light at all? Can't find any pics anywhere.
Also anyone done their own building mod for the donut heaven ball lock area? The donut heaven one isn't doing it for me but it needs something there!
Thanks all.

There was a guy that made laser cut plastic blackouts who probably still has some. Also, I designed some templates for printing yourself that work really well.

http://thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball

#7506 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Go here and make a sticker to cover the plate.
http://thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball

Or if you want to pay me, I can make one for you. Just PM to discuss details (I also have several other mods/decals with some not pictured on my site for particular reasons).

#7507 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Thanks Theonlyest - looks good.
Is that plastic above the 3 targets at the pop bumper standard or an add on decal? Mine has a stainless plate in that spot?
Not sure if has been put here already but did you see the cab decal custom job in the Steve Ritchie thread...pretty cool.
I'm going for a custom blackout edition with my restore!

Here is another custom plastic I think everyone should have: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/70#post-3415047

#7516 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

So now your the Capitalist Pig.

My motives are purely altruistic.

#7520 6 years ago

So, I'm guessing you don't want LED (they are just called #44 on sites like Comet, etc.)? I believe just your run of the mill #44 if incandescent: https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1680

#7528 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Looking for the sockets not the bulbs. Thanks.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. As others have pointed out, I think PBL has them and Marcos probably does also.

I've not had to replace any of mine, but have had to take some sandpaper to the inner spring and tube on a few (never thought of just buying new ones, but I like the idea) - g/l on your project.

#7531 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

I have one also and gave it a shot but some sockets are really rusty and not working. Thanks all for the input.

I find that this other stick works well in extreme circumstances.

Dynamite_Stick_Prop_Solo_grande.jpgDynamite_Stick_Prop_Solo_grande.jpg

#7537 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

I think out of all the restores I have done now this one is the the one I am most excited about to get running. Just want to see the loops and supercharger blasting to my own light and sound show! Thanks to all the posters here on this thread which I have been following but only have read up to about page 20 out of the 150 odd! Before restore supercharger was running 120-124.
So sorry if I am asking already answered questions as I go.
Reckon she'll be up on her new powder coated legs this weekend and the top of the playfield pretty much finished.
Couple of progress shots.

Looking really nice! Glad you are reading through the thread, as I did this when I got my Getaway and implemented all kinds of ideas.

P.S. Nice dungeon you have there.

#7540 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I got my polished stainless strips at a hobby shop, 12x1 inch strips, I like the thicker strips. See how it reflects the light from the bulbs instead of being absorbed by the black wall.

Shiny! I've not yet done this to my Getaway and curious about the difference it might make. Where all did you install them on your Getaway, and do you recall how much material you needed?

#7542 6 years ago
Quoted from Crafty:

Yep, but I went all out and painted it.
Made perfect sense to me as in Australia all our Traffic Lights are black

That looks great! I've seen a few black traffic light housing here in the states, but usually in small towns for some reason (also, when I see them they are usually mounted horizontally instead of vertically).

Also, like your themed ball lock cover. What does the sign say?

#7543 6 years ago

Okay, so I locked my computer at work today and when I came back the lock screen image screamed Getaway at me. I took a few liberties in Photoshop, but aside from the vehicles the pic is 100% untouched.

Getaway.jpgGetaway.jpg

#7545 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I think they make a difference under all the plastics on the black sides and out in the open on the black sides of the out lanes. I think I used like 4 or 5 of them and cut them with a GOOD tin snips if shorter ones were needed. Under the plastics you can piece them together if needed cuz no one sees them.

You said that you got them at the hobby store, was it a chain one (e.g. HobLob or Mike's) or a local one? If chain, do you recall in what area of the store they would be? Sorry, never seen them before, but then again have never looked for them.

#7550 6 years ago
Quoted from bimm25i:

Is there a way to clear the text? that would make a really cool background for an instruction card!

Original pic is of a country road by Reese Lassman (can google it).

#7551 6 years ago

Argh, I accidently ignored a post. How do I "unignore" it?

Never mind,figured it out.

#7564 6 years ago
Quoted from falconfan63:

Does anyone have a Translite for sale?

MJW had one available a few months ago, so try PM’ing him about it.

#7568 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Yea, I Sent him a PM that Odin bought mine not long ago. It was the original design. Thanks for looking out. ... I have a alternate left but nobody wants that. Lol.
I started a tech help thread if anyone is willing to help. Title is getaway supercharger problem ,please help. Keeps blowing fuse 103 ... I have a circuit breaker and I've made some progress but none I'm stuck. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

When I first bought mine it was blowing fuses like crazy. I can't remember what my resolution was but I can look back through the thread to see if I posted. On my way to TPF for the day for some great father-son time! Hope to see some you there.

1 week later
#7585 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Looking for an option for the donut shop now but not keen on the one available. Anyone done anything else the besides the decal options on the plate?
Would really love the original mountain mod too but none around.

So, I have seen a few options for the ball lock cover. If you don't like any of these, do you have a different idea? I'd be happy to try to work on something if you don't have time/tools to do it yourself. Of course, you could always leave it plain, but most agree that the big piece of silver metal needs something on it.

Here are the ones I have designed:
DonutHeaven1.pngDonutHeaven1.png
DonutHeaven2.pngDonutHeaven2.png
DonutHeaven3.pngDonutHeaven3.png
DonutHeaven4.pngDonutHeaven4.png
DonutHeaven5.pngDonutHeaven5.png

And here are a couple of others I have seen:
high-speed-2-donut-heaven-decal.jpghigh-speed-2-donut-heaven-decal.jpg
dh.jpgdh.jpg
The original 3D by Mezelmods
dh.jpgdh.jpg
With a few of my add-on graphics (patrons & police cars)
dh2.jpgdh2.jpg

Mountain will be hard to find. Mezelmods did one recently, but they are sold out: https://mezelmods.com/collections/the-getaway-high-speed-2-pinball-mods/products/the-getaway-pinball-mountain. I would suggest you give them a call or send an email to see if they have any intention of doing another run on them. Typically, seems like the mountains are a love/hate relationship. Those that love it keep it, those that really don't care for it at all (myself included) would rather light up that back corner and keep things out in the open.

#7586 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

That looks like a great idea. I'm just adding custom lighting now to my restore as I finish off the playfield. Any chance of a shot from the player perspective?
I added a 3 led strip on bracket on the backboard to light the road just before the ramp already.
Progress shot below. Made my own ramp decal design and got it printed up.
Looking for an option for the donut shop now but not keen on the one available. Anyone done anything else the besides the decal options on the plate?
Would really love the original mountain mod too but none around.

Hey, just noticed your SC sticker - I love the alternative styling to the original which has always seemed a little out of place to me. Did you make or get it from someone (can you share the graphics file with me)?

Also, not to be too critical, but the Lambo profile doesn't look quite right to me as it looks more like an Aventador. Here is a period Diablo, and I even added the gold wheels to match the one depicted on the playfield (happy to share my file with you if you want it).

sc.jpgsc.jpg
diablo2.jpgdiablo2.jpg

#7588 6 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

I would LOVE to use this one as well. Please, please, please, share your source or file, if you can

If he is open to it, I can either leverage his file or create my own and make it available both for DIY & purchase for a few bucks to cover the cost. Obviously Jakusa's idea and design, so not going to do anything w/o his input first as he may want to offer them himself.

#7592 6 years ago
Quoted from bimm25i:

I've got a pic from the players perspective like 3 posts up,
But here

You may want to try using a tripod next time of that's how steady your hands are when taking photos

This message brought to you by the official self-appointed photo focus & exposure officer.

#7593 6 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

BTW going to put in my pinsound next week and it will be Mr tantrum all over

Sweet! Can't wait to hear about your experience. Are you rewiring for stereo speakers? Are you updating speakers or going with stock?

#7594 6 years ago
Quoted from bimm25i:

I put a comet led strip on the back of my metal loop with a dimmer adjust, it lights up the back area quite nicely!
Also you can see their 6 led fan bulbs in my bumpers, I think they are the best without stepping up to pcb rings

That's a great idea. Here are some other ways to light things up in the dark back area of the playfield (and other spots). Some were my idea and many were sourced from others in this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/85#post-3476037

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/51#post-3149197

Also, got to give it up to MustangPaul for this one: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/86#post-3477075

#7596 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Thanks for the donut shop options tantrum, but I am still keen on something else but don't know what yet!.
I had the metal bracket powder coated black for now. I think you are right on the mountain too.
Thanks guys on the supercharger sticker. I did a rough example up in mspaint and got a graphic guy to formalize it for me and paid him $50. The sticker cost me $18oz to get printed on decal. Happy to get them done for anyone for $20oz plus post. Because it is so long I would have to send rolled up in a small box I think. Or happy to share my file if you need. Or guess you can make your own off the same idea if you wanted anyway....
Understand on the car model etc but I have the alternate translite anyway so different cars aren't a biggy for me.
I'm sort of altering the whole art theme of the game anyway in my own restore.
I really need to learn adobe - so many ideas - so useless on graphic programs!!
At the moment I have a custom speaker panel being done as well for Getaway and also BSD. Graphic changes and then reverse printed on 2mm clear ready to mask and backlight in different areas. Will post pics soon hopefully.
I toyed around with an old WPC95 panel and had an idea of having real guages. I setup volt meters actually monitoring the 6 and 12v ccts. And also internal and external temps of the headbox. Got it all working as a proto and thought it was pretty cool but to take it further was a hell of a lot of cost and time. Maybe one day to get it really nicely finished.

Oh yeah, a nice black would look much better than silver IMO for the ball lock cover, especially with your black theme. I'd probably just leave it at that given what you are doing overall. If you do have a graphics idea, let me know and I'll be happy to work something up for you as I'm quite capable with Photoshop. I'm going to PM you regarding the sticker.

#7599 6 years ago

This word confused me, but then I saw you're from Germany so I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I think the English word you were looking for is "restoration".

BTW, all lighthearted comments here in the Getaway thread, so don't take what I or others say to seriously when it comes to things like this - just having a little fun. FYI, your English is infinitely better than my German!

#7600 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

AND take the glass off.

And by the self-appointed playfield photo quality control officer.

#7608 6 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I think the word you're looking for is too

Ah #!^&!, you got me! Very well played on your part.

#7610 6 years ago
Quoted from hayrebear:

Ugh...that's what I was afraid of. Wondering why they swapped it, when, what this is even from, etc. The previous owner did have someone put a Rottendog MPU in the machine, but am wondering if this was done then or if it pre-dates.
Also makes me wonder what else I'm going to find hacked-up on this one.
Now where to start...

I have some RD boards, but my backboard is not Swiss cheese like yours. They must have had some kind of custom translate or something at one time.

Upon closer inspection, you don't even have holes where the originals should be. Some kind of Frankenstein Getaway you have there? Time for a game of "name that pin based upon the backboard lights". Unfortunately, I don't have enough expertise to play.

#7613 6 years ago
Quoted from hayrebear:

Yeah...hoping this is the extent of the hack job. Wondering if and when I can even attempt to find or...gulp...make a replacement.

Piece of plywood, white paint, electric drill, and staple gun will have you fixed up in no time! Seriously, you'd probably have to find a ratted out scrapped Getaway to just swap out the board, but I'm sure they are out there. Might want to post a Wanted ad.

#7618 6 years ago

Hey guys, look at the new supercharger decal Jakusa is making available. The decal wraps around the entire front of the SC (full length between the two mounts), and is themed and colored much better than the original. Also, 504 is in lead pursuit! Be sure to contact Jakusa if you are interested in purchasing one for your Getaway (https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/jakusu/contact).

Gold Wheel Decal
Supercharger_GoldWheels (resized).pngSupercharger_GoldWheels (resized).png
Supercharger - Gold.jpgSupercharger - Gold.jpg

Silver Wheel Decal
Supercharger_SilverWheels (resized).pngSupercharger_SilverWheels (resized).png
Supercharger - Silver.jpgSupercharger - Silver.jpg

Original Decal

original.jpgoriginal.jpg

#7621 6 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I'm not usually one who likes stickers that can't be put back to original and this isn't as whimsical as the original but I have to say; the silver wheel one is really nice and I like it a lot. It's hard to tell but is that in 2 sections? Is there a way to make the police cars blue? Keeping the theme like the back glass (and ColorDMD for those that have one)but I'm not sure it would looks as good... Anyway, nice work all

#7622 6 years ago

The one I made is a prototype and is two sections that are butted and taped then mylar is over the top as one decal (this is due to my print size limitations). I don't want to get into too much customization, but I'm sure if you worked out a deal with Jakusa then I could make a blue police car edition (assuming I could find a good graphic).

#7623 6 years ago

Spurred by the idea from Jacusa, I've developed another decal set. This time it is a mountain themed covering for the two metal brackets at the back right of the pin under the supercharger loop mountain plastic. I'll gladly share the artwork with anyone who wishes to make their own, or if you need me to print them for you I will and mail them to you for $5 a set. However, you will need to provide & apply your own double sided permanent tape to the back to stick them to the brackets (I use tape in pic below).

IMG_6240.JPGIMG_6240.JPG
Getaway Mountain Decals.jpgGetaway Mountain Decals.jpg
tape (resized).jpgtape (resized).jpg

#7625 6 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I can confirm that light board is from a Fish Tales machine, just took some pics from my FT machine and compared.

I knew something smelled "fishy" about that backboard.

#7630 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Im also really liking the silverwheels decal. I think it fits color wise much better than the original. Wonder if he will supply just a printable file ?

I would suggest you PM him and see. Anyone interested in the files for the mountain decals can d/l them from the link below. You are welcome to print and make your own, but please do not distribute my files or print and distribute to others. Again, for those of you w/o the tools/capability to make them yourself, I will print on high quality photo paper, cut them out, and mail to you for $5 in US for you to apply with your own tape (if outside US, will need to cover whatever additional postage is required).

http://www.thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball/getaway_mountain.zip

#7631 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Decal suggestion... how about a “no logo” version?
Also while you’re in the decal biz, one to cover the metal plate between the targets and the pop bumper would be pretty brilliant.

I think I've already done what you are asking for regarding the target cover decal: http://www.thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball

The other will be up to Jakusa. If he is willing to distribute the file, then I'll create one for him w/o the logo. However, I think I might want to decrease the spacing between the cars if I did that.

#7633 6 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Is there a way to make the police cars blue?

I'm having a hard time finding a usable image. This is as close as I've got, but it's too clipart-ish. Find me a usable decent resolution side view of a blue police car, and I'll see what I can do.

liberty_city_police_car_by_bar27262-d9png0t.png (resized).jpgliberty_city_police_car_by_bar27262-d9png0t.png (resized).jpg

Here is another.

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#7656 6 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

The problem is shipping will cost you from me to you - not cheap going between Canada and the US (or the other way).
But I will keep you in mind.

You should arrange a meeting at the border and jus toss them over.

Wish I had the technology to create new sets, but the orange on those repros was completely off. I don't understand how someone could even take those to print without first comparing the colorization to the originals (I believe they also left out a small piece). Would be great of someone stepped up and made another set, but probably have to deal with PPS.

#7670 6 years ago

Beautiful work, and beautiful results!

#7681 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Hi everyone, I’m new to the club!
I have a pair of JL audio C2-525x (2 way 5 1/4”) speakers that have been collecting dust for a couple years in the garage. (I also have some JL 3 1/4”, but I’d rather use the same size speakers in the back box)
Would it be worth the effort to install them in HSII? I’d also swap in a decent 8 ohm 6.5” sub as well. Not looking to blow anyone away with high fidelity audio, but just use some stuff I have laying around to improve the pin.

Two comments:

- If you current speakers are broken, cracked, etc. then by all means replace them. If your speakers are intact, you really won't improve the sound quality (although you could improve the mix/balance if you rewire with mixer)

- Get a PinSound, install my custom orchestrations, install new speakers, and you'll be blown away!

#7683 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Pinsound is definitely on the list. I’ve seen a few videos and really like some of the audio enhancements.
I was just wanting to tinker and use stuff I’ve had laying around.
I really need to replace some coils and other stuff first. I may need to make a shopping list...

Originally, my cab speaker was blown and the original backbox has a tiny tweeter on the right. I replaced my and did get better overall bass and sound, but the quality of the sounds did not improve much (mono-midi sound). Later added pinsound and kept the speakers I had upgraded to, and it sounds great. I did rewire for stereo when I got my PinSound which is a must (get their harness, makes it easier).

#7685 6 years ago

Okay, I've finally got all of my stuff together and can offer the custom supercharger decals originally inspired by Jakusa. I've made 5 different versions to choose from:

- Logo with gold wheels
- Logo with silver wheels
- No Logo with gold wheels
- No Logo with silver wheels
- Logo only

Click here to see a couple of examples: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/153#post-4312409

These are printed as a single 19" strip on coated gloss paper using a production quality laser graphics system. I then use permanent double-sided tape for the backing and coat top with clear gloss laminate. I'm offering these for $20 shipped (due to length size and not wanting to fold them to fit into an envelope, I will have to ship them in a box so it is a little more expensive).

If you have any interest, please PM me and we can work out the details.

Supercharger x5.jpgSupercharger x5.jpg

#7687 6 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Pinsound and speakers should be low on your priority list, that's the cherry on top but for sure replace those coils and sleeves. If this was my pin I'd probably swap out those flipper springs, bushings and shooter assembly.

Yes, you do need to get your pin in nice working order before adding on the cherries. What good is a Pinsound if the pin doesn't work or play right to start with. Personally, I'd also go tasteful LED mod before Pinsound, but that just me.

#7705 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Wow, thanks for taking all of the guesswork out of my list!
I’d definitely like to give Marco some business. We went to our first TPF this year and they were super nice folks. Gave my wife a great deal on a t shirt that she wanted.
What is the “tasteful LED mod”? Is it much different than just buying a kit?
If so, is there a list of the types and number of bulbs I need? If I’m cleaning the inserts, I’m going to go ahead and swap in LED’s at the same time.
One last question: what’s the consensus on using a virtuapin cabinet for a restoration? It seems like it would cut many hours of stripping, sanding, and bondo’ing of the old cabinet. Also you could have the new cabinet completed and then just swap in the guts, with minimal downtime and less chance on forgetting how things are installed.

Quoted from tiltmonster:

NP.
Do not buy a kit! It's probably cheaper to make a custom kit yourself. Tasteful is what you like but not over saturated colors, look for rainbow puke threads and you'll see.
Comet is my preferred bulb supplier, no ghosting for inserts. I like twin SMD else where but it depends, frosted or clear on the situation.
Use your original cabinet

Absolute dittos on this. Do not buy a kit as it will cost you more and you may not like some of what they do. Way back in the thread somewhere (you can search) I did a full write up on mine. I've made a few changes since that time, but I should be a really good starting place for you.

#7726 6 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

After seeing Jakusa's amazing restore it looks like he was able to get mirror blades in his Getaway. Anyone else had any success putting in mirror blades. My Getaway there appears to be no extra room at all to get them in.

No way I could get real ones in mine w/o scratching terribly. I did buy some mirror vinyl that I might try sometime when I get tired of my themed DIY ones that I made.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin?tq=blades&tu=mr_tantrum#postbox

#7736 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Aussie model traffic light in and running!

Oi, Oi, Oi!

Hey, can you detail your lens mod on the supercharger?

#7737 6 years ago

PINSOUND ALERT - As if I don't beat everyone over the head enough with my PinSound fervor. Anyway, inspired by an instrumental track that the Onlyest pointed out not so long ago, I'm working on a new orchestration.\

This one will be all instrumental cover versions of recognizable rock songs. I think that a good non-vocal orchestration would be upbeat and fun to play along to. I have most everything planned to get started, but for those who are curious, here are some examples of the music I will be using (FYI - I Can't Drive 55 will be the primary theme track):

- I Can't Drive 55:

- Personal Jesus:

- Hold on Loosely:

- She Sells Sanctuary:

- Several others

#7749 6 years ago

Okay, just posted my latest (9th) Getaway PinSound orchestration to the community (awaiting approval before it is available for download). Again, all instrumental cover songs on this one.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/22-getaway

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

#7754 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Was pretty involved. I made a whole new stainless custom bracket with larger cutouts, used some red acryilic and speaker mesh behind it so no visible stainless at all.
Red led strip for glow GI and red flashers as well when switched.

I had the idea to actually create one where the flaps opened & closed, but couldn't figure out how to pull it off. Would look cool if they flapped open with red flash behind.

#7761 6 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Already looked into doing it electrically with a coil but there is very little room behind the face plate due to the position of the magnets and the small gap to the flasher light board (also taking into consideration that when the butterflys would be open it also takes up space, half of the circle is behind and half in front). I've virtually worked out a mechanical offering that will work but just haven't had the time to finish it off yet.

That sounds really interesting to me. Would love to see prototype in action if you are ever able to give it some time. I really like the idea of having some mechanical movement. Don’t get me wrong, the looping SC is brilliant, but would really love some icing on my cake.

#7788 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Well, joining the club. Thanks to Wes rebelguitars
Trading my pimped out Wolverine for a pimped out Getaway that he just picked up. Chrome everywhere. Newly redone cabinet. Lots of upgrades. Can't wait to get it within the next couple of weeks.
I'd never played a Getaway until SFGE last summer. Played more Getaway than anything else there because there were like 3 there and was the easiest to play without waiting. I realized then that there is a HUGE difference in the amount of fun that can be had on this pin if one is in excellent condition vs. average. I've been on the lookout for a nice one since. Wasn't planning on one this nice, but what the heck. You only live once.
Video: » YouTube video

A couple of comments:

1) That's a beautiful Getaway!
2) I noticed some of my artwork and mods on it which tells me that this pin was originally built out by Grinder901 (he also lives in TN). Also, he spared no expense in his upgrades.

Grinder loved that pin, and did everything he could to it. Unfortunately, he had to let it go a couple of years ago. Can't tell you how excited I am to see it back in the club!

You will notice that the custom shifter knob is hollowed out in order to reduce weight (I destroyed 3 or 4 drill bits doing that). Since then, I've actually designed and 3D printed the parts to replace the heavier aluminum ones in the shifter knob. When you get the pin and if you decide you would like something lighter weight (will more easily shift and return to center) then PM me. I'll share the files and you can 3D print yourself, or I'll make them and ship to you for a modest price.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/135#post-3951143

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/135#post-3956245

Also, don't remember what I put on the DMD on the keychain graphic, but happy to send you reprints with your initials if you want for free.

One more thing, since Grinder owned this pin, I've come out with 9 different orchestrations for the PinSound that you can d/l for free and install to change up the music, effects, and even professionally done callouts. You are going to love this pin!

#7796 6 years ago

Welcome all - loving all the new members of the Getaway club!

#7801 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

We got your back any way we can !
Welcome to the club !! One of the friendliest clubs on pinside if you ask me !

Don't get Superbee wrong . . . we have our moments.

#7802 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Put my mountain sticker mod on - Thanks to Mr Tantrum for the hard work!
Keeping with a darker theme I trimmed the blue top off mine.
Al - welcome. I have a new supercharger cover set complete and used slingshots ( a touch off colour) $65 usd all up if you wanted but I think postage from OZ would be not worth it maybe another $20 or so. If keen pm me your email and I will send pics.
Sticker installed

Lookin' good, my friend. I'm really liking your midnight edition Getaway.

#7807 5 years ago

Well, I'm still waiting for my latest PinSound Getaway orchestration to be approved, but in the interim I have an appetizer. Here is a custom file that replaces the default PinSound boot up audio. This one is a Lamborghini Diablo starting and taking off - much more thematic to the pin. Just download the file and put it in the "audio" folder located under the root on your PinSound USB stick. Enjoy!

http://www.thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball/PinSound/boot.wav

#7815 5 years ago

Question though...my playfield will pull out only partially where it does not lock and cannot be lifted into vertical position without me continuing to hold it up. I'm guessing it has something to do with the spring loaded brackets but I've never run into this situation before and not sure how to approach this issue. Right now game is playing perfectly so it is not an emergency but obviously need to get it correct for future repairs.

Assuming you have all your pieces (brackets & springs), it is most likely in your technique as I went 2 years before I figured it out (probably not the same for all, but these rails have had issues). When you are sliding the playfield out, you can't just rest it on the supports. Rather, early on you need to lift the playfield higher to where the brackets are in the correct position and then pull out the playfield to engage them. Once locked you can freely rotate the playfield without having to support it. Get a friend/family member to help if you need to lift while you are looking at the mechanism to make sure it is properly aligned. After you do it successfully a couple of times, you'll remember the correct positioning.

With that said, others are correct in stating that these rails have had all kinds of issues. Personally, I think they went through different setups and materials at different points, and many have failed. If that is your case, then Marco's is your answer for buying new ones.

Yes, your cop car will light up. I think that is one of Mezalmods toys. Probably wired into the top lamp or something so that it comes on when the police lights do. You may want to go back and watch the original video you posted (might want to pay special attention to the top left at 0:48).

#7819 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Once you have it locked in the vertical position, what’s the easiest way to unlock it and lay it back down?
The last time I attempted it solo the playfield dropped (fell) down once I unlocked it. It’s hard to push it up and get it off of the locks at the same time without dropping it. Am I doing it wrong? Or do I need new brackets?

Not at home, and haven'd done it in awhile so I don't remember exactly. However, it is very safe, and no risk of dropping it. If I get a chance this afternoon, I'll try to do it again and explain more clearly if you still need it.

#7823 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

What is the yellow bar for? Haven’t figured that out yet

Like a car hood. Lift playfield straight up (do not slide out towards player), rotate yellow bar up and you’ll see a circle cutout under the playfield along the edge. Stick point if yellow bar in circle and now you have access to cabinet without rocking playfield full 90 degrees.

While we are on the topic, for you newbies ALWAYS remove all three pinballs before tilting playfield! Just rest playfield by pulling out and resting supports on lock bar, then use your hand to manually engage the ball eject mech. Also, TURN OFF THE PIN BEFORE LIFTING PLAYFILE OR EJECTING BALLS. I don't mention both of these as some know-it-all, rather, I've made both mistakes and both cost me damage and money fixing an easily avoidable self-induced problem.

#7827 5 years ago

Okay, since many have been asking, I took the time to do an instructional video on how to lift the playfield. Video shows how to remove glass, use support bar for cabinet access, how to engage and use rail mechanism, and how to put it all back together. Hopefully this helps new Getaway owners avoid the struggles that I went through figuring this all out.

Also, please note that the way I lift my playfield seems to be the only way I can get mine to work. This is not the standard method. According to the Williams video I have watched (I can't seem to find it, but it was some lady making it look really easy) and the instruction of others in this forum that know far more about pinball than I ever will, you should only have to live the playfield a few inches, slide all the way back towards the player until you hear a click, and the latches will be engaged. I've not been successful in achieving this, so my video shows how I've gotten mine to work.
Also, I found this thread explaining how to lift the playfield: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-hsii-open-playfield-procedure
Regarding the support bar for partial opening, since posting the video I'm told that this method should be avoided due to the weight of the Getaway playfield. This uneven support could potentially cause playfield warping and surface cracking. Again, my video was intended to answer what that "yellow bar thingy" is used for. Theoretically, what I show is correct, but as a practical matter you should not support your Getaway playfield in this manner in order to avoid potential accidental damage to it.
Thanks for everyone's input on this, and I appreciate the knowledge.

Added over 6 years ago: Found this video with a Medieval Madness, but my Getaway does not work at this angle nor this easily.

#7828 5 years ago

Yep, watched the video again. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hey, there are a lot of great things about your Getaway, easy to overlook some of the small stuff. Did you see my posts regarding the previous owner and some options/updates I have for you if interested (PinSound, shifter knob, custom keychain, etc.)? Just PM me if you have any interest.

#7835 5 years ago

Looks like my latest PinSound Getaway orchestration just dropped and is available for download here:

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/246-getawayhs2-v9_rockinstrumental_customcallouts_mrtantrum/

As a reminder, this one is all instrumental covers. Tried to keep the beat going using popular songs mostly from the period (but not exclusively). Here is the playlist:

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

#7836 5 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Nice video Chris, and while you're method will work, still not exactly "by the book". You're holding the front of the playfield WAY too high when trying to get it to latch, this is why you stumbled with it a bit in the video. Only lift to where the supports are about 1-2 inches above the lock-bar latch and pull toward you until you hear the latches lock, then push up toward the backbox.
Also, you should actually NEVER use the prop-bar with this particular game, Getaway has BY FAR one of the heaviest PF's in Williams history, which inspired the development and retrofitting of the slide/latch system... Leaving the PF supported on one side causes the PF wood to twist which can cause planking, insert lifting and diamond plate/clearcoat cracking... Especially if its left in that position for any length of time.

From all the videos I have watched on how to correctly lift the playfield you are right in that I should not have to hold it that high, yet I absolutely cannot get it to work otherwise. Not sure what is going on but if I try the method you are outlining and what I've seen in the actual Williams training videos, the tips of the latches end up sliding under the posts and either don't catch at all or are bound up when I try to lift. I need to find someone locally (should have done it at TPF) and observe them as well as analyze their setup to see if mine is different somehow or if mine will actually work in the way shown and I'm just not getting it. Would love for someone to shoot an interior cabinet video of the mechanism while engaging so that I could see and compare in detail. Either way, I'm going to try again to see if I can actually get it to work using the "by the book" method.

Regarding the support bar, that is good insight and something I was not aware of. Common logic says it is there for a purpose (what I show is what others have shown me), but apparently experience and historical insight deems otherwise (I always appreciate your pinball wisdom). Not sure why they even left it there, but now I know better and what you say makes perfect sense.

#7837 5 years ago

My right orbit shots get careened as it is exiting the orbit and ends up going to the right flipper. This seems like it is wrong but it is unclear what is actually causing the issue. Is this, indeed, wrong behavior?

I saw it but haven't really paid attention. I'll take a closer look soon. It looks like I have PinSound, knob, keychain already. Again, I'll take a closer look at your post this week. Thanks!

BTW, just to be clear what I'm offering is to let you know that there are 9 other PinSound orchestrations I have created and shared with the community that you can download for free that will work with your PinSound (I'm happy to walk you through it and make it as simple as possible for you). The orchestration you are using was actually a precursor to any of the ones I did, and while some may disagree, I honestly think that most (if not all) of the ones I have created are superior in quality, have better voices, sound effects are more realistic to the car featured (early '90s Lambo Diablo), and offer more variety since I use different music, professionally recorded call-outs, etc. Just letting you know that you can enhance your sound experience even more than it is now, and add variety to your overall Getaway experience (you can switch back and forth to/from original game sounds if you like).

Regarding the keychain, that was one I sold to a previous owner but I don't remember if it had a generic DMD showing "Williams" or if I had the owners high score initials on it (I sold several personalized ones). Again, what I was offering is to make new inserts with your initials if you wanted and I'm happy to send them do you for free.

Finally, the LED shifter knob mod originally was too heavy and the previous owner had me hollow it out for him to lighten it. I think before he sold the pin he may have figured out a way to make the shifter respond better (return to center) by fixing something in the internal mechanism so you may be fine. I was still having an issue on my Getaway with the same exact mod, and a few months back I designed a much lighter 3D printed version. Not saying you need it, but if you find your shifter not naturally returning to the neutral position then the 3D printed plastic version might do the trick for you like it did for me.

Bottom line, I'm just excited for you and you have such a quality version of the Getaway I don't want you to miss out on anything that is available to you.

Now, regarding the orbit shot. I'm not sure that I understand exactly. Are you talking about hitting a shot with your left flipper counter-clockwise around the loop? I don't understand at what point this would careen at make it to the right flipper (like it gets to a certain spot in the loop and bounces back down it)? Can you please explain in more detail or post a video? Also, I've learned that correct leveling (front to back & left to right) plays a huge part in this game (probably most). I don't remember the exact settings (I'm sure others can provide off the top of their head here) but once I got mine dialed in and flippers aligned properly, everything seemed to just magically work.

#7841 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The PF support bar is more of a carry-over from prior generations. By the time we got WPC, the playfields had gotten so heavy they really are a 'sucker bet' and really are more bad than good. They will cause the PF to sit uneven in the cabinet.. so you'll likely drag along the sides of the cabinet, and it can warp/twist/pop things on the PF in extreme cases. It's best to just ignore it and work with the PF in the upright position or on the lockbar position for games that support it. even in SS games, you are generally better off avoiding it. Before games like Getaway, PFs were only on sliders on the side, or a hinge to rotate (but not slide THEN rotate). Getaway's time period was when WMSs switched to the new slide/latch system we love so much. I think Addams was the last game without them? Someone can correct me there..
Like the other poster mentioned when you are going to rotate the PF... all you need to do is pull the PF out to the lock position. Once you hear it click, you can rotate right from there to the upright position. You should always be careful to make sure the locks don't release as you rotate, but that's just sanity incase the click you hear didn't actually stick.
You use the 45 degree angle when you are trying to defeat the slide latches when looking to remove the PF from the cabinet. By moving the PF forward, but not enough to latch, then tilt up to get it off the hinge pins.

What you guys are saying makes sense, but I'm not sure why I and others have such an impossible time getting it to work. I'm going to take a second look and see if I can figure it out. I've watched multiple videos where people show how to "properly" do it (always shot from outside the cabinet), but I swear it doesn't work for me. I would love to have someone shoot a video from inside the cabinet (stuff your wife or child in there) with the camera pointing at the mechanism so that I can actually see its position and how it engages throughout the process.

Is there anyone that is willing do make a video of this from inside the cab (I was only joking about the wife or kid - just put a light in there with your cell phone/action cam rolling)? It would be a tremendous help to the Getaway community!

#7849 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Which part do you have a hard time getting to stick? The latch clicking, or unclicking?

Several good things here, and I'll try to work through your explanation maybe tonight if I get some time. A couple of quick hits:
- From previous efforts, I could never get it to "click" in. However, by my video if I lift the angle enough it clicks and works as intended. However, I haven't had a chance to test things since all of this new advice was presented.
- My hinge pins appear to be in perfect condition (i.e. they are indeed perfect cylinders). Had them off less than a year ago when I redid my cabinet graphics.

#7850 5 years ago

Okay, guess I'm just too stupid to make it work right. No matter what I do, I cannot get the rails to engage unless I do it like I show in my video. At this point, I don't know if I have rail issues or me issues. Giving up for now, as long as it works my way when I need it to I'll be okay. If I get some time in the future, I'll shoot a video inside to see if I can figure out what is going on.

#7869 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I recently did a playfield swap on my Getaway and looking to sell the original. I really didnt need a new playfield but did a full on restore of the pin and decided i wanted a new one to put it over the top and the original is in rather good shape for an old playfield. Typical ball trails and slight (very slight) insert lifting but no real wear except for where the supercharger ramp flap sits which is typical. This playfield would be a fairly easy restore if some wanted to and then clear or if you have blown out playfield you could actually just swap.
Looking for $300.00. Would much rather sell local and not ship. PM me or Text me at 416-992-7442 if interested. I dont want to post on the marketplace as i want to sell local but i will certainly donate the appropriate funds to pinside if it sells here. Im going to Allentown so i can bring it if that works. Its $300.00 Canadian funds or $250.00 American funds.

Never imagined myself saying this, but I wish I lived in Canada.

#7887 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Does anyone sell the target stickers? Thanks.

You can make your own or PM me and I'll make and sell to you. I've made sets for multiple Getaway owners and they can chime in if they like them or not.

http://www.thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball

#7889 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

That be excellent! Are you going to Allentown again this year?

Actually, never been to Allentown. TPF is in my backyard, so that is where I go.

#7891 5 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

My new supercharger decal
from mr_tantrum!

So much better looking!

#7893 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

That looks great! I got one too and really like it as well.
That's an interesting placement for the traffic light, did you move it back or was it there when you got the pin?

Good catch, I just noticed that. Should be on the black post (mine is red) just forward from it.

light.jpglight.jpg

#7897 5 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

I moved it back.
I think it looks better tucked in.

Cool, nothing wrong with putting where you want.

#7898 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Here you Mr T, thanks!

I love the look of the new decal. Great design, Jakusa.

#7901 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I agree. Kinda think it looks cool. Want your supercharger decal Chris. Pm me when you can and gimmie a good deal as im a regular here !

But you are also Canadian, so there will actually be an upcharge for that - USA, USA, USA

#7902 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Where is the best place to buy some new decals?

If you want good quality at a low price PM me and I'll give you my source. Ink printed on breathable vinyl with clear laminate by a PinSider who operates a professional print shop. These are what I put on my cabinet. They are not screen printed or have the full 3D look as some have mentioned, but they do look quite nice and are budget friendly. I know a couple of others have had them made besides me (sorry, don't remember exactly who), but here are some of my pics.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/93#post-3529916

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/93#post-3543413

#7906 5 years ago

Welcome to the club. You'll find this thread to be quite the resource, and the owners here are full of experience and insight. I know we are up to nearly 8,000 messages now, but I encourage you to begin to read through them all. There is so much to learn about this great pin, and so many great ideas from repairs to mods throughout.

#7910 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

What a warm welcome. Thanks.
Now show me to the aisle with the mods.

Get the pin settled, and I have all sorts of custom graphics available for you to download and make your own or I can quote what it would be for me to make them for you. However, nothing is as pretty or shiny than MP's leg and cup holder led mods - plus my personal favorite DIY from MP is the SC LED strip mod.

Also, I see you have a color DMD. Does there happen to be a PinSound board in that backbox? If so, then I'm your man to crank up the customized audio/fx orchestrations - and I'll my mixes are free (of course you do have to drop $400+ on a PinSound to use them)!

#7911 5 years ago

Beat ya to it! Found the problem.
On to a good cleaning. Thanks for having me!

Are you missing all of the right bumper plastic/metal pieces, or do you just have them off for cleaning?

#7912 5 years ago

Seeing your pics makes me wonder what it was about the reds they used in the cabinet art that made them so susceptible to fading. Just about every Getaway pic I've seen with original artwork looks like this (mine sure did). Maybe this is the case for all pins and colors and just inherent to the process and inks they used.

#7916 5 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

I have some fade but it's not bad enough to decal

Yours looks awesome. Must have spent a lot of time in a dark room.

#7931 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Clean it with a business card or other fiberous paper.

I dollar bill does the trick beautifully (or heck, just pull a Benjamin out of their wallet and use that). Just place it between the contacts, squeeze contacts together, pull dollar bill between them, repeat. FYI, afterwards you can still spend the dollar!

#7951 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Before and after pinballbulbs LED kit and speaker lights installed.
Everyone said not to do a kit, but for it being my first pin I’m glad I did a kit. I learned a lot about the different types of bulbs, colors, frosted, flasher, etc... I’m very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. I still have light strips and spot lights to install.
(The translite isn’t as washed out as it appears in the pic)

I can see! Great start, but highly recommend MP's suggestion with gauges & drain. There are plenty of posts in this thread that tell you how to do it, but here are a couple of links to my process, along with some other LED mods.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/51#post-3149197

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/77#post-3437950

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/85#post-3476037

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/86#post-3477075

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/105#post-3619665

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/115#post-3694340

#7952 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I think it needs a color dmd now.

PinSound BEFORE color DMD, IMO. The update in sound makes a much larger impact on your game play experience than the color DMD.

#7956 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Gotta disagree with you on this one Mr T, color DMD is a must have

Adding both is the correct answer, but I was recommending my preference for which to add first.

#7957 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Comet has the Matrix wire connectors to make it easier, I soldered the wire to a light socket but you can use the alligator clips if you don't want to do it that way. I used the star post light but Mustang when he first did the mod used an led strip (pre matrix and star post days).
http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1871.htm

BTW, when you light up the gauges, don't forget to also do the sign just above the right gauge (you can see in top right corner of TM's pic). If you don't, you will find yourself staring at it constantly thinking, "How did I miss lighting up that plastic?".

#7970 5 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

mr_tantrum to the economical mod rescue, again. Thanks Chris.

You applied them well

Seriously, it looks great on your pin. Just happy I can contribute a little to those that have taught me so much over the last few years.

#7971 5 years ago

LED is my choice. I don't have a ColorDMD but I do have a Pin2DMD (whole story another time). Anyway, personally, I don't like the dullness of the LCD and I hate the look that 95% of the people seem to run it in that looks like a blotchy cartoon. The LCD is bright (you can adjust) and gives a great mix of color along with a traditional pinball DMD experience. The color gamut may not be as good as LCD, but it's not like you're watchin HD movies on the thing.

#7974 5 years ago

Maybe something like this I did a year ago?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/67#post-3407595

I actually have two options of the decal available for download for DIY: http://www.thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball

Also, I highly suggest either making your own or buying from me a plastic replacement piece instead of the metal cover. I create mine out of Lexan and this way the light behind the targets shines up through it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/69#post-3413990

#7979 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

How does the plastic there hold up? I made myself one but was afraid that between the target bank beneath and the Supercharger support that it wouldn’t stand a chance so I kept the metal piece under it.

Absolutely zero issues after a year of installation and heavy home use gameplay. I've made these for several others, so they can chime in as well with their experiences. The plastic is not in direct line of ball contact, and even if a ball somehow bounces on top there is never much force when doing so.

Also, I used .093" clear Lexan, so no need for any extra support as the plastic is as thick as (or maybe even slightly thicker) than the original metal piece.

#7982 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I made a post about making these when I did that mod, it's easy to make and holds up well.
There was one of these in the plastic kit from CPR when they made there run.

FYI, If I ever gave the impression that this was my original idea, then please forgive me as it was not. Also, there is more than one way to do it. My preference is thicker Lexan with the decal on top with a clear gloss mylar/vinyl overlay. Using the thickness that I do, I cut mine out and shape it using a pneumatic hand grinder using both a cutting disk and a sanding barrel (could also use a Dremel tool). Is it hard? As TM stated, not really if you have the right tools. The key is to print and overlay a sacrificial decal on top of the plastic as you are cutting and shaping it in order to get it just right. Then once you have your shape, clean it up and apply the final decal to it.

#7984 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Sorry Mr. T, I think we have a misunderstanding, I didn't mean that to come across that way because we have all made mods or put our own spin on mods we seen so I will delete that post and take another stab at this...
Yes, the plastic holds up well, CPR had a similar plastic in their set.
These are easy to make and I made a detailed DYI a while back in the forum.
Thanks to Mt T for all of excellent work!

No, no, no, TM. I didn't take your tone that way at all. You just made me realize in general that I had put a bunch of stuff out there recently, and that I might have left the impression to the new folks that these were all original ideas and the only way to get them was through me. There are tons of great ideas in this thread, most of which are not mine, and many of which I took from to design and offer the things that I make. Also, I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE others to make their own mods leveraging the ideas and instruction from the great members here, and this is why I make all of my graphics available 100% free of charge for those that do want to make their own. This is not a revenue generating venture for me, but I learned early on that several would like to have some of my designs but they just don't have the time/skill/materials/etc. to make them for themselves. I assure you as a grown adult I have many better things to do with my time than making stickers. However, I appreciate everything that members have contributed to my knowledge and experience in this hobby, so I figure that I can help others out with something that I'm pretty good at doing.

#7986 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Got to meet SUPERBEE at Allentown, great guy. Also picked up a pinsound at the show, plan on installing it shortly.

Yeah, SB is great, but what does he have to say about you?

Congratulations on the Pinsound. 2 things: 1) you must rewire speakers for stereo to get best sound, 2) PM me after install is complete and I will help save you hours building out your usb drive with multiple orchestrations.

#7990 5 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi All. I would like a price check on parts I want to sell please.
It is the beacon including the beacon dome, metal bracket ( with globe!), mounts, cables, the 2 small cct cards in the top of the back box which are rare...
I have a guy wanting just the dome but don't know whether I should try and sell the parts as a set?
Thankyou

While the market ultimately sets the price, what I can tell you as a buyer is that I'm usually looking to pay about 50% on these types of used items versus new pricing from reputable sources (e.g. Marcos, Pinball Life, etc.) Now, if it is a rare part that can no longer be purchased new (either original or replica) that is in demand, then the price obviously increases.

Breaking up or sell as a set? Depends upon what you are wanting. If you want to get rid of everything then a set may be your better option, but then again you may not find a buyer if the items are not in demand. If you have extra parts laying around and just want them to go to a good home to help support the community, then sell them individually. I'm not making any value judgement here on your motives, just comes down to what you want to do as the seller.

#7991 5 years ago

Moving along with some of the great ideas shared here. Looking pretty sharp if I do say so myself. Some of Mr. T'S goodies oughta be here soon. Just thought I'd share.

Looking good, my friend. Loving the blue flipper rubbers (steal that idea from me?) Also, the lit gauges look great (I would still recommend lighting up the "Drive 65" plastic the same way). Also, up to you but myself and others have always thought that the upper left is a dark zone. There are a few ways to light this up that have been shared (strip light under red plastic, flashing light in U-turn, spots located at very back, etc.)

#7998 5 years ago

And here's after said goodies. Awesome product. Not at all what I was expecting. If you're expecting paperbacked stickers you'd be hard mistaken. These are the finest quality decals I've ever seen. Obviously work was put into finding the right materials. Thanks bud!

Look'n good, MD. Thanks for the love . . . just happy to help out my fellow Getaway owners. Although my least favorite thing to make (cutting out 15 little circles drives me crazy), I love the look of the target covers. All the other items look awesome on your pin too.

If any others are thinking about asking, I wanted to remind everyone that I make all of my decal art available for free so you can make your own (just PM me). Alternatively, I'm happy to quote a price on whatever you want, and I assure you I am very fair as this is just a hobby of mine. BTW, for all of my graphics I use only OEM high quality papers and inks (mostly inkjet, but had to do the SC decal on laser due to size) and overlay with high quality clear gloss vinyl/mylar.

#7999 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I really think that you two need to just get a room....

As long as that room is full of pinball machines, I'm in!

#8015 5 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

Got the Lambo car door projector light installed in my Getaway last night. Hard to see with a cell phone camera but it is bright in person.

Love it!

#8029 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

JL Audio C2-525x installed. Definitely a noticeable improvement over the factory speakers.
I used a new speaker panel from Virtuapin. I was really impressed with the quality and attention to detail. It is identical, if not better, than the original.

Do you own a PinSound? If not, only then will you truly realize the difference in sound with upgraded speakers (FYI, will need to rewire for stereo speaker setup as a DIY or with PinSound harness).

#8031 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Not yet. It’s on the list for this year though. I plan on replacing the 6.5” speaker too. The only reason I replaced the speakers is because I had this set collecting dust in the garage.

I replaced my speakers first too (my originals were in bad shape with cab speaker cone busted). I rewired so that I could control the balance between backbox and cabinet. I know others will disagree, but if you have discretionary pinball bucks then for me the first major upgrade is PinSound. It truly makes the whole game play experience different. Along with that, with all of the orchestrations I've developed and posted on the PinSound community site for free download, you can always mix up your game sound experience (plus you can always create your own soundtrack).

Your upgrades look great!

#8032 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I replaced mine first too (but my original were in bad shape with cab speaker cone busted). I rewired so that I could control the balance between backbox and cabinet. I know others will disagree, but if you have discretionary pinball bucks then for me the first major upgrade is PinSound. I truly makes the whole game play experience different. Along with that, with all of the orchestrations I've developed and posted on the PinSound community site for free download, you can always mix up your game sound experience (plus you can always create your own soundtrack).
Your upgrades look great!

FYI, although too late for this year, the best deal on PinSound is buying direct during TPF. Not only is there a show discount, but you also get to take it home with you that day.

1 week later
#8060 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

My DMD went black for about 5 minutes tonight while playing, but it eventually came back on.
Is there anything I should investigate? Possible board issue?

Who knows? Could be something as simple as a cable that needs to be reseated to as complex as a component overheating or beginning to fail on a board. I would say monitor the issue and see it if returns. You are dealing with high voltage here, so be very careful what you do while the pin is on as you could fry your Getaway and yourself.

1 week later
#8062 5 years ago

Wow ~ it’s been over a week, and no postings from any of my Getaway pals. I guess we figured it all out. Hope everyone is enjoying their pins. Personally, I improved so much that my son wouldn’t play with me anymore. I’ve laid off playing for a couple of weeks, so he decided he would play with me a couple of times the last few days. Games were closer, but dad still won! Even so, was a lot of fun playing together.

#8070 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Ok... since u asked

And starting to come back together...

Gorgeous

#8071 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well if you play against a 3 year old your bound to win.

Definitely kicks my tail on Mario Kart!

#8075 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Joined the club!

Welcome, but we need some pics from all newbies.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
2,376 posts in this topic match your search for posts by mr_tantrum. You are on page 5 of 10.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/5?tu=mr_tantrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.