• L3 8 votes
    3%
  • L5 88 votes
    33%
  • P7 7 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 263 votes by 262 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,921 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190616_204231 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
20190607_113338 (resized).jpg
20190526_204558 (resized).jpg
20190526_204358 (resized).jpg
20190601_234306 (resized).jpg
20190607_105410 (resized).jpg
20190526_204354 (resized).jpg
20190607_105244 (resized).jpg
20190607_104100 (resized).jpg
20190607_104123 (resized).jpg
20190527_203018 (resized).jpg
20190601_234324 (resized).jpg
20190607_103623 (resized).jpg
20190527_203025 (resized).jpg
20190526_204350 (resized).jpg

There are 9521 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 191.
#2501 3 years ago
Quoted from jdb9294:

Nice job!! I wanted to order some LED's but was getting sick of counting the total QTY I needed of each type, so I made a spreadsheet using your PDF.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TNpE1UKt_NoVMuDvYWfT7WT7HGPvU2znFaiGbilZ4RY

One additional note on my list. After installing the 5 SMD flashers throughout, my personal preference would be for a little more "pop" in brightness. Therefore, I am going to replace the 10 Bayonets on the playfield with Comet 13 SMD #89 Super Flashers and the 3 supercharger & 5 backbox flashers with Comet 10 SMD 5630 Super Flashers. Again, this is personal preference as the 5 SMD ended up being just a little dim for my personal taste.

I changed my quantities as such (note there is one extra #89 since I may swap positions):
- #89 Green = 7 (all under green side plastics)
- #89 Red = 2 (one under supercharger ramp, and I am going to experiment with red for slings. If I go this way I will put white under ramp)
- #89 White = 2 (for slings. Again, I will try red and if I like better I will put one white under ramp)
- 5630 White = 5 (backbox)
- 5630 Red = 3 (supercharger)

Also you may prefer the 8 SMD #89 or #906 flat 8 SMD flashers in some of your applications. It all comes down to personal preference.

#2502 3 years ago

I'd watch out for super bright white flashers in the slings, you may go blind with all that light...

#2503 3 years ago

Anyone here know where I can find a Mars Light for my game? It just took a crap. its jammed up.

#2505 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I'd watch out for super bright white flashers in the slings, you may go blind with all that light...

I'm thinking I will like the red, but we'll see. I just want a little more attack on the senses when the flashers go off.

BTW, cudos to Art at Comet Pinball. Great knowledge and exceptional customer service. Also highly patient with newbies like myself.

#2506 3 years ago

Got to spend some time finishing my final lighting mods today. Here is what I did - all ideas from within this topic, and all lights purchased from Comet with a few accessories from Pinball Life. I mainly used Comet's Matrix system, but did also have to do a little soldering for a few of the mods.

1. Ball catch lighting - Frosted white 19 LED strip
2. Left tach - 4 LED post light
3. Right tach - 4 LED post light
4. Drive 65 sign - 4 LED post light
5. Tunnel spot light - 4 SMD flat in spotlight
6. Kick out light - Red Flex (had to install socket)
7. Supercharger Ramp Light - UV 3 LED strip
8. Back of Cabinet Lighting - 2 x 4 SMD flats in spotlights

You will also notice an earlier mod including Red, Yellow, and Green BriteCaps EVO Pop Bumper Lighting from Pinball Life with matching pop bumper caps from MAD Amusements (only place I could find all 3 colors in same style).

It's been fun doing this and sharing with the community. Thanks for the great ideas from everyone, and I hope that my mods inspire others to do the same.

Now, I am just searching for a 1/36 scale red Lamborghini and Police car to fit the theme. Also, working up courage to attempt playfield paint repair where needed.

IMG_0080_(resized).JPG
IMG_0075_(resized).JPG
IMG_0077_(resized).JPG
IMG_0081_(resized).JPG
IMG_0076_(resized).JPG
IMG_0078_(resized).JPG
IMG_0079_(resized).JPG

#2507 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Also, working up courage to attempt playfield paint repair where needed.

Nice work Tantrum ! Just remember that if you touch up the playfield you need to clear it or it will not last .

#2508 3 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

About 3 months ago, I posted in this thread about two balls being put in my shooter lane sometimes at the start of a multiball. I never got anywhere with it until now. I can reproduce it. Before I start replacing any switches or other things, I'd like to see if this is in fact a bug in the software. I was hoping that maybe a couple of people on L-2 software could try this out and see if you see the same problem where two balls are put in the shooter lane.

Here are the steps to make it happen on my game. I did this with the glass off and documented it.
Software = L-2

1.) Power on and start a game.
2.) Hit 3 green stand ups and lock a ball.
3.) Hit 3 yellow stand ups and lock a 2nd ball.
4.) Light Red Line Mania (I just kept making left loops and shifting when needed. When supercharger mode started, I held up a flipper to time it out.)
5.) Hit 3 red stand ups to light the red light and enable the 3rd lock.
6.) Start Red Line Mania by shooting the supercharger.
7.) Get a ball in the hideout to get the jackpot, and drain the other 2 balls. (If the other two balls come back, just keep draining and keep only one ball in play.)
8.) Now, that Red Line Mania is over, start the regular multiball by shooting the hideout and observe the shooter lane. Two balls will be put in at the same time.

Can anyone reproduce the same results? If you guys can, then I'll know for sure it's a bug and not a switch problem.

Thanks!

Anyone ever get a chance to try this out?

#2509 3 years ago

Anyone ever have issues with the ball having to eject over and over or getting stuck when trying to eject into the shooter lane?

#2510 3 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Anyone ever have issues with the ball having to eject over and over or getting stuck when trying to eject into the shooter lane?

Yes. It happens usually when I have the double ball problem I posted about (see the post above yours). To fix it I have to bend the metal guide a bit and it fixed the problem.

#2511 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

BTW, cudos to Art at Comet Pinball. Great knowledge and exceptional customer service. Also highly patient with newbies like myself.

Yes, I hope whom ever bought his business does half the job Art did, he's a great business man and an even better person.

#2512 3 years ago

I was reading through the posts, and saw some people lamenting there wasn't a shooter cover on our pin (just a black box). Funny, but I had never thought twice about it, but now that it is in my head I can't help but notice the large empty black spot. Therefore, I decided to do something about it. I've attached a copy of the actual print file (high resolution JPEG) if anyone wishes to print their own, along with a couple of pics of what it looks like on the pin.

As with my previously self-printed mods, this was done on a high resolution Epson 6-color inkjet printer with high-gloss, thick inkjet paper. I then cut out the image, ran a black Sharpie around the edges to mask the white edges, and finally applied double-faced Scotch tape around the bottom before applying to the shooter cover. I also switched places with my game cards since it looked a little odd have the two Lambos side-by-side.

ShooterCover.jpg
IMG_0089_(resized).JPG
IMG_0093_(resized).JPG

#2513 3 years ago

Okay, I am about done with my mods now. Besides, I am a little board since my DMD controller board went out, and I need to order a new one tomorrow. Anyway, the last thing I want to do is add a diecast police car and Lambo. I think I have what I want picked out, and for now want to do it on the cheap (e.g. $10 each or so). I really think Mezel's fully lighted large police car is awesome, but just not in my budget right now. Therefore, my plan was to just put either a 3 LED strip or a post LED (Matrix from Comet) inside the cab of each model and connect to GI to have the inside lit for now.

Any thoughts/ideas on what others have done in this area?

#2514 3 years ago

That shooter cover looks great! Where did you get the instructions cards from? Both of your flippers need adjustment. They needed to be lowered a bit. Thanks again for making a list of the LEDs, just starting to led mine now.

#2515 3 years ago

Thanks, I got the cards from a reference earlier in this thread, but here they are again fully-sized for print (they are not my artwork, but all the other apron stuff is . . . please feel free to take credit if you created them and see this post). Regarding flippers, the left one has been giving me fits, but I was finally able to get it to stop moving during gameplay, so I just left it where it ended up and matched the right to it. I may try to adjust at some point in near future.

GetawayFIRST.jpg
GetawayINSTRUCTIONCARD.jpg

#2516 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Okay, I am about done with my mods now. Besides, I am a little board since my DMD controller board went out, and I need to order a new one tomorrow. Anyway, the last thing I want to do is add a diecast police car and Lambo. I think I have what I want picked out, and for now want to do it on the cheap (e.g. $10 each or so). I really think Mezel's fully lighted large police car is awesome, but just not in my budget right now. Therefore, my plan was to just put either a 3 LED strip or a post LED (Matrix from Comet) inside the cab of each model and connect to GI to have the inside lit for now.
Any thoughts/ideas on what others have done in this area?

I'm a less is more kind of person when it comes to modding my pin, I like the Donut Heaven decal, the colorDMD, color coordinated rubbers, some additional PF lighting and LEDs. I never got into adding cars and plastic models to the game, although the mountain mod is pretty cool and was actually a prototype for the pin but was cut due to costs. The decal on the shooter apron looks pretty good or maybe the cop talking into the radio saying "this time I'm going to nail that dirt bag"...

#2517 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I'm a less is more kind of person when it comes to modding my pin.

Yeah, this is my first, so I am having some fun with it and also adding some stuff that my son likes (he is begging for the toy cars). The LEDs make all the difference in the world to me, and I can definitely understand the minimalist/purist approach when it comes to customize one's game.

#2518 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yeah, this is my first, so I am having some fun with it and also adding some stuff that my son likes (he is begging for the toy cars). The LEDs make all the difference in the world to me, and I can definitely understand the minimalist/purist approach when it comes to customize one's game.

Oh, yes... for myself only. I've seen sweet looking mods and stuff I wouldn't do but it's your pin so you should do what you like, especially if your son likes it. You should enjoy the hobby with him because someday he will be a pin head thanks to those times you shared together. Have fun with it!

#2519 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Finally got around to getting the shifter knob attached. It took about an hours work to make a new shaft on the lathe using 5/8th stainless steel rod, the threaded end is 3/8th and also had to make a tool to cut the groove for the circlip. I chose this particular one cause it has a flames pattern on the knob which fits in well with the Hydrodipped flames supercharger cover. There is 6 red LED'S inside that has a 4 position switch, so random pattern, all flashing, always on and off. I'd added some red LED flipper buttons recently so going with that particular coloured LED seemed the best way to go (also got the red LED start key mod from Mezelmods). On the whole the colours all fit well with the rest of the machine. If anyone is interested in a new shifter shaft so they can add their own style knob then just PM me. I will only need to know what size threaded end you wish to have, and i will mention that most of these after market car knobs come with several different sized plastic inserts (to screw onto a gear shift shaft) so i would recommend using the larger size insert first cause you can always cut the thread down further if it ever wears out (unlikely really). Price? , i'm not exactly sure about, even at half tradies rates (usually about $90 or more an hour in OZ) it will probably seem too expensive. If these were pumped out on a CNC machine in bulk amounts it would cost bugger all but i'm only thinking of doing a few if required. I'll say about $50 Aus dollars plus postage ( about $37 US) but i could have my arm twisted a bit

Did you or have you considered boring a hold the length of the shaft so you can wire the batteries? I have this mod, and like it but it seems like someone in the family forgets to turn off the light every couple of days, so I am going through batteries like crazy. I did find, however, that instead of stacking two thin lithium batteries to power it you can just use one thicker battery. I forget the exact model I am using, but can look when I get home if anyone is interested.

#2520 3 years ago

Does anyone have the artwork for the shifter decal they would be willing to share (Illustrator or however else you may have it)? I was able to find the artwork for everything else as I am considering printing my own cabinet decals. I'm sure I could recreate it fairly easily, but wanted to check first before I put the effort into it.

23628101-origpic-0e3ff9_(resized).jpg

#2521 3 years ago

Wonder why they aren't in this file, never noticed it.

High_Speed_2_decals.pdf

#2522 3 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Wonder why they aren't in this file, never noticed it.

My guess would be because it's part of the shifter and not cabinet decals...

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CA-22A

S/O but may be worth an email

#2523 3 years ago

Here's how mine came:

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#2524 3 years ago

Every kit out there has that decal included in the print as far as i know.

#2525 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Did you or have you considered boring a hold the length of the shaft so you can wire the batteries? I have this mod, and like it but it seems like someone in the family forgets to turn off the light every couple of days, so I am going through batteries like crazy. I did find, however, that instead of stacking two thin lithium batteries to power it you can just use one thicker battery. I forget the exact model I am using, but can look when I get home if anyone is interested.

The short answer is NO. The reason being is that the opposite end to the knob has a hole already for a spring and what is, more or less, a shooter tip in it so the handle will always spring back to neutral position. The other end is a thread so it's not possible to drill a hole from that end. A very skilled machinist could possible make a hole near the already drilled end for the exit of the wires BUT you still have the issue of hiding the wires that would come from the LED knob. It's a nice idea and could potentially do away with the need for batteries and just wire the LED's into the GI circuit but WAYYYYY beyond my skills

#2526 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Here's how mine came:

I guess you are expected to cutout the shifter decal before applying the other? How did all of this align for you (or have you done it yet)? The shifter assembly should be mounted on top of the front decal, and then the shifter decal on top of the metal plate of the shifter before running the bolts through.

I'm just going to create my own, as it should be pretty simple given how square everything is.

#2527 3 years ago

I haven't done it yet but I'll let you know.

#2528 3 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

game rom q. i go into test and it says rev p-c, then sound l-1 2.22, 3/24/92. does that mean i'm running prototype p-c?

anybody?

#2529 3 years ago

Can anyone who has added cars to their playfield explain/demonstrate to me how you affixed them so that they did not come loose during gameplay? I am adding a 1/32 Police car to the top left and Lambo to the plastic cover before Donut Heaven.

#2530 3 years ago

I have no idea but it's only like $10 to get a L2 or L5 rom off ebay. I prefer L2 so I would just replace whatever you got with that.

#2531 3 years ago

My playfield is out of the machine at the moment during my restoration but here are a few shots. I used a high tack velcro for mine. One side of the velcro on the plastic and the other on the bottom of the car. It has never mover and makes it easy to remove and reinstall if needed.
IMG_20160519_213451_(resized).jpgIMG_20160519_213506_(resized).jpg

#2532 3 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I used a high tack velcro for mine. One side of the velcro on the plastic and the other on the bottom of the car.

Yup, i used the same method, works well

#2533 3 years ago

I found a new issue. If I starting flipping the right flipper kind fast, they give out. Flipper ps we're rebuilt and gap is correct. I'm really hoping it's not a board issue

#2534 3 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

My playfield is out of the machine at the moment during my restoration but here are a few shots. I used a high tack velcro for mine. One side of the velcro on the plastic and the other on the bottom of the car. It has never mover and makes it easy to remove and reinstall if needed.

Thanks! Looks like a better option than the Kragle. I would not have thought so, but I guess the underside clearance is low enough for the Velcro to work if multiple people are reporting this is a good method. I was concerned I was going to have to engineer some contraption . . . I definitely prefer simple solutions to challenges!

#2535 3 years ago

For those of you who added the ball well lighting (or whatever it is called where the balls drain between the flippers underneath the apron), do you get a bad reflection on the DMD? I love the lighting on the playfield, but given the angles and my height (6'3") the reflection of the light strip is right on the middle of the DMD (btw, I also have a bent plastic installed).

ballwell_(resized).jpg

#2536 3 years ago

Oh yea it's a bad reflection. Newer dmds seem to be angled so it's not a problem. If I kind of hunch over while I play, the LED strip reflection isnt seen. I like the additional lighting but it's annoying to see it it in the reflection

#2537 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Oh yea it's a bad reflection. Newer dmds seem to be angled so it's not a problem. If I kind of hunch over while I play, the LED strip reflection isnt seen. I like the additional lighting but it's annoying to see it it in the reflection

You just gave me an idea. I might experiment with adding some washer/spacers on the DMD mounting posts to see if a slight angle change might help (not sure of angled up or down would be best). May be a catch 22, however, as I may be bothered by the DMD angle required to fix the reflection issue.

#2538 3 years ago

Angled up prob. That's how my IMVE is angled and it's an improvement.

#2539 3 years ago

i've seen visors that mount at the top of the main cabinet, where the playfield glass top trim is, in order to block glare from the backbox on the glass. that'll straighten you out.

#2540 3 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

i've seen visors that mount at the top of the main cabinet, where the playfield glass top trim is, in order to block glare from the backbox on the glass. that'll straighten you out.

Actually, I have one of these (bent plastic) and the intent is opposite. It prevents the DMD from reflecting onto the back of the playfield glass (and does a perfect job of it). The angles are such, however that it does not block the lighting from the ball trap at the opposit end of the table from reflecting onto the DMD.

#2541 3 years ago

Also try a Comet Frosted led strip, that will help some.

#2542 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Also try a Comet Frosted led strip, that will help some.

That is what I have. Also, now that I am home, the glare is on the plexiglass too, so angling the DMD has no impact.

#2543 3 years ago

I thought it might soften the glare. Have you tried a purple frosted, it's a bit softer light?

#2544 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I thought it might soften the glare. Have you tried a purple frosted, it's a bit softer light?

No, don't have one. Only an issue for me in the family, but if I play a little bent over the angles are such that the reflection is not too bothersome. Thinking of getting a stool anyway, which would also change the angle by sitting when I play.

#2545 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

No, don't have one. Only an issue for me in the family, but if I play a little bent over the angles are such that the reflection is not too bothersome. Thinking of getting a stool anyway, which would also change the angle by sitting when I play.

OK

#2546 3 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Ok so is it a single or double star post?
Man that shot is gonna be tight!

what size screw do i need to reinstall a double star post there?

#2547 3 years ago
Quoted from Da_Topper:

Both of your flippers need adjustment. They needed to be lowered a bit.

Upon your comment, I went searching for the "correct" way to align flippers. While ther seems to be some debate, I followed the suggestion of aligning the button of the flipper without the rubber to a large paper lip I put in the alignment hole. I must say that I like it much better. My first game with the new setup I got my first redline mania and set my high score.

#2548 3 years ago

Now that I have my flippers resting position adjusted, and the left and right are in perfect alignment, I've discovered that the left flipper does not extend as far in the up position as the right flipper does by a few degrees. I find that this makes is difficult to catch the ball with the left flipper, while the right flipper seems just about right.

Is this normal for this pin? If not, why could I be experiencing this and how do I adjust the left flipper bat to go as high as the left one?

#2549 3 years ago

Take a pic with both flippers up and both flippers down. Maybe one of the flippers has the wrong linkage in it making it not come up as much as it should. Glad the adjustment made the game play better. The way the flippers were positioned before gave you no power for the outer shots. I just did the Evo bumpers with the yellow, green, and red Data East caps and it looks awesome on my game now!

#2550 3 years ago

Here they are up and down. May be a hair off in down position, but significant in up. Also, I used complete rebuild kit from Pinball Life. I measured old parts and everything is the same. Please note, however, that I never tested originally since I rebuilt whenever I bought pin.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hackettstown, NJ
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lynbrook, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 16.00
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 9521 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 191.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside