• L3 8 votes
    3%
  • L5 88 votes
    33%
  • P7 7 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 263 votes by 262 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,946 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_0992 (resized).JPG
DSC_0991 (resized).JPG
DSC_0990 (resized).JPG
IMG_2451.JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0255 (resized).JPG
IMG_0250 (resized).JPG
get 1 (resized).jpg
get 3 (resized).jpg
get 2 (resized).jpg
DMD Ground (resized).jpg
ezgif.com-resize.gif
IMG_2398.JPG
20190630_133440 (resized).jpg
0EC720AA-4132-422F-A42F-A7332ACDAC34 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2396.JPG

There are 9587 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 192.
#2401 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Thanks everyone. Just to clarify, I am not really looking for color choices, but types and quantities of each socket. I spent a few hours tonight and I think I've calculated correctly. I plan on double checking and deciding on bulb types and colors. Once I finish the project, I will post a listing for everything to help out others in the future.

This is to the best of my abilities, hopefully I got them all but...

Back Box
31 #555
5 #906 Flasher

PF Plastics
9#89 Flashers
34 #47

Lower PF inserts (Gears and below)
36#555
6 #47
1 #906 Flasher Fee Ride

Upper PF inserts (Above Gears)
2 #47
19 #555

Toys
3 #555 Pop bumpers
3 #555 Traffic light
2 # 555 Super Charger entrance
3 #906 Flashers Super Charger

This total is everything but the Mars light, start button and coin door...

94 #555
42 #47
9 #906 flasher
9 #89 flasher

#2402 3 years ago

Its_me...amazing difference, well done. How dirty were the undersides of the inserts?

#2403 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

This is to the best of my abilities, hopefully I got them all but...
Back Box
31 #555
5 #906 Flasher
PF Plastics
9#89 Flashers
34 #47
Lower PF inserts (Gears and below)
36#555
6 #47
1 #906 Flasher Fee Ride
Upper PF inserts (Above Gears)
2 #47
19 #555
Toys
3 #555 Pop bumpers
3 #555 Traffic light
2 # 555 Super Charger entrance
3 #906 Flashers Super Charger
This total is everything but the Mars light, start button and coin door...
94 #555
42 #47
9 #906 flasher
9 #89 flasher

Looks like we are slightly off. Here is what I have after multiple visual inspections and going through test menus (I could have easily missed some):

Inserts: 69 (excludes start button but includes every insert light as stepped through in test mode)
Playfield GI: 30
Backbox GI: 30
Playfield Flashers: 12
Backbox Flashers: 5

My Total: 146 (excluding 3 jets since I have LED disks in them)
Your Total: 151 (excluding 3 jets)

Looks like you have:
- 1 additional #906 flasher
- 4 additional #44
- While our #555 count matches, you show 31 in backbox, but I think there are only 30 in backbox + 5 flashers

Probably my best bet is to buy a few extras just to cover possible short counting.

#2404 3 years ago

Seems like most go with frosted for playfield GI and clear/no dome for inserts? Comments on what pin owners have liked best?

#2405 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Looks like we are slightly off. Here is what I have after multiple visual inspections and going through test menus (I could have easily missed some):
Inserts: 69 (excludes start button but includes every insert light as stepped through in test mode)
Playfield GI: 30
Backbox GI: 30
Playfield Flashers: 12
Backbox Flashers: 5
My Total: 146 (excluding 3 jets since I have LED disks in them)
Your Total: 151 (excluding 3 jets)
Looks like you have:
- 1 additional #906 flasher
- 4 additional #44
- While our #555 count matches, you show 31 in backbox, but I think there are only 30 in backbox + 5 flashers
Probably my best bet is to buy a few extras just to cover possible short counting.

I'll revisit my number later but always buy more...

30 #555 in BB is correct.

3 #906 flashers in super charger and 1 under free ride = 4 plus the 5 in the BB total of 9 # 906

2 #89 in the slings, (2) on left side and (3) on the right side under the plastics and wire form ramps for a total of 5, plus 1 under super charger entrance ramp = 8 #89

LED_Back_Box_(resized).jpg

#2406 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Seems like most go with frosted for playfield GI and clear/no dome for inserts? Comments on what pin owners have liked best?

I used some frosted in a few inserts, in particular the white PF inserts but I used clear twin smd faceted in the "faceted" color inserts and traffic light

#2407 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Its_me...amazing difference, well done. How dirty were the undersides of the inserts?

They were all almost black!! A few of them you couldn't even see the lights through. They cleaned up really move though

image_(resized).jpeg

#2408 3 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

They were all almost black!! A few of them you couldn't even see the lights through. They cleaned up really move though

Yikes! Good work... enjoy!

#2409 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

3 #906 flashers in super charger and 1 under free ride = 4

I count 17 flashers too, but my free ride flasher is a #89 bayonet not a #906 wedge which flips my flasher numbers from yours. Thanks for all of your help. I agree, and am definitely going to buy extras but just want to make sure I am covered with appropriate types and colors.

I think I've spent more time on researching and planning LED's for my pin than last time I bought a house!

#2410 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

accidental duplicate - can't figure out how to delete.

#2411 3 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Silly question, but how did you find it best/easiest to clean the bottom side of the inserts? Not something I considered, but I'm sure mine need it given the condition my underside is in . . . I really want my new LEDs to shine as best as they can.

#2412 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Same here. It's what I like to use.

#2413 3 years ago

What types of lamps are you using in backbox - no dome SMD, clear dome, frost dome?

#2414 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I count 17 flashers too, but my free ride flasher is a #89 bayonet not a #906 wedge which flips my flasher numbers from yours. Thanks for all of your help. I agree, and am definitely going to buy extras but just want to make sure I am covered with appropriate types and colors.
I think I've spent more time on researching and planning LED's for my pin than last time I bought a house!

I used a Bendy 8 SMD #906 for the free ride... interesting that they are different.

Under_side_of_PF_(resized).jpg

#2415 3 years ago

I used comet 2smd sunlights with a frosted dome for my inserts and GI.

#2416 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I used a Bendy 8 SMD #906 for the free ride... interesting that they are different.

Great pic, and my idea also to use a flex bulb there. I know I checked multiple times, but maybe I had a brain fart on the bulb type. I will check again when I get home tonight.

P.S. I envy how clean your underside is - very nice.

#2417 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Great pic, and my idea also to use a flex bulb there. I know I checked multiple times, but maybe I had a brain fart on the bulb type. I will check again when I get home tonight.

Thank you! I've had this baby for about 13 years now so it's been in a home environment for more than half it's life. I've completely rebuilt all 3 flippers, coils, coil bracket, mechs, springs, sleeves and bushings, everything but the metal frame. I did the same with the shooter, everything replaced but the frame, hopefully this will last a long time.

#2419 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Silly question, but how did you find it best/easiest to clean the bottom side of the inserts? Not something I considered, but I'm sure mine need it given the condition my underside is in . . . I really want my new LEDs to shine as best as they can.

Q tip soaked in windex is what I use, if really dirty more wet q tips are needed. I then use a dry one for a final wipe. You have to remove light boards to gain access.

#2420 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Now lets keep things clean boys. This is a respectable site !

#2421 3 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Now lets keep things clean boys. This is a respectable site !

lol!

#2422 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, was a brain fart after all. I don't know what I was seeing, but the free ride is definitely a #906. Thanks for the correction.

#2423 3 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Yup, clean inserts are critical.

#2425 3 years ago

I used isopropyl alcohol and q tips. One wet, and one dry per insert. I was originally using Mothers glass cleaner but I needed to cut the grime more so I switched to the isopropyl. It was literally a night and day difference.

#2426 3 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

I used isopropyl alcohol and q tips. One wet, and one dry per insert.

I always used Windex on Q-tips. I'll have to give this a ride.

#2427 3 years ago

Okay, I am getting ready to order my LEDs and wanted to also order some custom lighting for various areas (kick-out saucer, sling tachs, back area, spot for mountain plastic, behind flippers, etc.) My only question is how do I wire these into the lighting system? Do I just find another light on the GI circuit and splice into its wires? Should I solder them or connect them in some other fashion?

#2428 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Okay, I am getting ready to order my LEDs and wanted to also order some custom lighting for various areas (kick-out saucer, sling tachs, back area, spot for mountain plastic, behind flippers, etc.) My only question is how do I wire these into the lighting system? Do I just find another light on the GI circuit and splice into its wires? Should I solder them or connect them in some other fashion?

I would not splice wires but...

Options from Comet:

1. the new Matrix system with alligator clips so you don't have to solder them. Go there to see the parts and wires available
2. Solder them directly onto an existing lamp (that's what I did, make sure flashers are with flashers and GI are with GI).

#2429 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I would not splice wires but...
Options from Comet:
1. the new Matrix system with alligator clips so you don't have to solder them. Go there to see the parts and wires available
2. Solder them directly onto an existing lamp (that's what I did, make sure flashers are with flashers and GI are with GI).

Thanks! I am no slouch with a soldering iron, but I like the idea of the clips. Since I am ordering from Comet, I'll take a look to see what options they have.

#2430 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Thanks! I am no slouch with a soldering iron, but I like the idea of the clips. Since I am ordering from Comet, I'll take a look to see what options they have.

I used the comet connection that goes into an another lamp socket when adding 3 LED strips. I don't like the alligator clips. I worry that they'll come loose and short something out. If I had to use them then I'd just clip and solder the wires in.

#2431 3 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

I used the comet connection that goes into an another lamp socket when adding 3 LED strips. I don't like the alligator clips. I worry that they'll come loose and short something out. If I had to use them then I'd just clip and solder the wires in.

That's an option too, the only issue I had with them is that the light is only 1 smd and doesn't have enough brightness for my liking. The clips are pretty strong and are insulated, I used one for a short period of time with no issues but I decided to solder the wires after I sure about my mods.

#2432 3 years ago

Woohoo! Just placed my LED order at Comet. Can't wait to get everything in and liven up this pin! Thanks for all the great support and mod ideas. I purchased all LEDs for entire pin including backbox and coin door (just no LED for red lamp on top of box). Also, I got everything to add lighting to back of playfield, ball catch between flippers, spot for mountain/tunnel plastic in back right, below supercharger ramp sign, left and right sling tachs, drive 65 plastic, and red kick-out disk (I did buy a few accessories at Pinball Life to complete things - light sockets, flood assemblies, etc.)

All of this plus several extra bulbs for less than the cost of a kit from all of the providers I looked it. It was definitely work figuring out everything and customizing the lighting to my taste, but a big thanks goes to the members of this forum and to a pinhead friend who has helped me out tremendously.

Before/after pics surely to come was the transformation takes place. Also, once I get all of the lights in and verify everything, I plan on posting my lamp spreadsheet for those who may want to mod their Getaway in the future. For me, the hardest part was validating socket types and quantities of everything, and this would have been a big help.

#2433 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Woohoo! Just placed my LED order at Comet. Can't wait to get everything in and liven up this pin! Thanks for all the great support and mod ideas. I purchased all LEDs for entire pin including backbox and coin door (just no LED for red lamp on top of box). Also, I got everything to add lighting to back of playfield, ball catch between flippers, spot for mountain/tunnel plastic in back right, below supercharger ramp sign, left and right sling tachs, drive 65 plastic, and red kick-out disk (I did buy a few accessories at Pinball Life to complete things - light sockets, flood assemblies, etc.)
All of this plus several extra bulbs for less than the cost of a kit from all of the providers I looked it. It was definitely work figuring out everything and customizing the lighting to my taste, but a big thanks goes to the members of this forum and to a pinhead friend who has helped me out tremendously.
Before/after pics surely to come was the transformation takes place. Also, once I get all of the lights in and verify everything, I plan on posting my lamp spreadsheet for those who may want to mod their Getaway in the future. For me, the hardest part was validating socket types and quantities of everything, and this would have been a big help.

Good luck. Enjoy!

Just take your time and try not to mess around too much with the pin powered on, it's hard to resist, but it could prevent any possible short or worse...

#2434 3 years ago

Anyone have mirror blades in their Getaway? I've seen them in other pins, and they look fabulous to me, and really add a wow factor when playing in dark room. Wondering what experience would be like with our pin. Pics would be appreciated.

#2435 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

...Also, once I get all of the lights in and verify everything, I plan on posting my lamp spreadsheet for those who may want to mod their Getaway in the future. For me, the hardest part was validating socket types and quantities of everything, and this would have been a big help.

thank you for doing this. I modded my IM:VE following all of the great work a pinsider did and documentation he provided after!! that's another thing that makes this place great!! appreciate the sharing of knowledge for sure!!

#2436 3 years ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

thank you for doing this. I modded my IM:VE following all of the great work a pinsider did and documentation he provided after!! that's another thing that makes this place great!! appreciate the sharing of knowledge for sure!!

And who was that IMVE owner?

#2437 3 years ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

Mirror blades would look great but I'm waiting on some inner cabinet artwork/apron art mod to put on mine

#2438 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

For the red kick out saucers use dual head red flex. They kick ass and take those saucers out and clean them REAL good and make sure the 2 little tabs on them are not broken off.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Anyone have mirror blades in their Getaway? I've seen them in other pins, and they look fabulous to me, and really add a wow factor when playing in dark room. Wondering what experience would be like with our pin. Pics would be appreciated.

Mirrors would look great, they are about 1/16 inch thick so 2 = 1/8 inch so you need at least 1/4 inch total gap or your gonna scrape the crap out of them when you lift the pf. I don't have that much room on mine so I'm SOL.

#2439 3 years ago

Yea my cabinet sides are scratched to shit. Hopefully when the cabinet is redecaled, he can figure out what the hell is scratching the inner cabinet

#2440 3 years ago

Well the pf most likely. So the mirrors are out of the question just like my game. But if he's gonna redo the cab just take a belt sander and make a recess for them on both inner sides. That's what I'd do even if I didn't want to put mirrors on.

#2441 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

LEDs really brings this game to life. You will not be disappointed. You might want to turn off dimming otherwise you might get some flicker. Love the lightshow getting extra balls and jackpots. I ended up having to do several orders to get all the bulbs I needed. It helps to order a few extra for those few you got wrong or did not count. Just make sure and change bulbs with the power off.

#2442 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

LEDs really brings this game to life. You will not be disappointed. You might want to turn off dimming otherwise you might get some flicker.

That's great advise, I did that too because there is no dimming with these bulbs, glad you brought that up.

#2443 3 years ago

I will be joining the club in the next couple of weeks
I was thinking of powder coating the legs red and the sidrails & lockdown bar black.
Anyone have this combination or all red or all black and what are your guys thoughts?

#2444 3 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

I was thinking of powder coating the legs red and the sidrails & lockdown bar black.
Anyone have this combination or all red or all black and what are your guys thoughts?

If you look through the forum there is an all red one early on (legs, side rails, apron, etc.) It looks very nice. Under the thread, do a search in the pinsider field for "the_fonz" and you will see his red accented Getaway.

Also, here is a highly customized one in all black (scroll to bottom of page): http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?attachment_id=2846

#2445 3 years ago

Every time a GEICO motorcycle commercial comes on TV, for some reason I want to go play a little Getaway pinball - A haw, haw, haw, haw!

#2446 3 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

Stick with all the same color.

#2447 3 years ago

Anyone used this before? Is it the right size?

amazon.com link »

And what about this: amazon.com link »

How would I power it to light it?

#2448 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Well this jazzed up the supercharger cover somewhat. I just got it recently Hydrocoated and received it in the mail today. So out with the chrome and in with the FLAMES

Where did you get your Lambo & Cruiser? What scale are they (or size)?

#2449 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Here's a really nice mod I've come up with on my Getaway.
I really didn't like how the stoplight housing lit up when each of the lamps are lit.
I designed/machined some light barriers for the outside walls of the stoplight housing.
No more glowing stoplight housing !!!
I made these using 2mm black ABS sheet, (one side has a texture). These slide right in, and stay in place when assembled. No need for adhesives.
As you can see in the pic, I also installed the colored flex LEDs from comet. I wanted to put the light source a little closer to the stoplight inserts.
The last few pics were taken w/o flash to show there's no light seepage.

How much for a set?

#2450 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Where did you get your Lambo & Cruiser? What scale are they (or size)?

You beat me to it, i was just about to reply, LOL The Lambo was bought on ebay from a guy in Germany and is 1:43 scale. The police cars are from Mezel Mods, larger one is at the back next to the supercharger and the smaller version is just above the 3 targets on the left. From memory the larger cop car is 1:32 and the smaller one is 1:64. The Lambo was a Lamborghini Diablo Solido diecast model (was the closest match to the one on the translite) and i added my own 3 LED white 12 volt strip inside it which is wired into one of the flashers, can't remember exactly which one i'll need to have another look. The guy i bought the Lambo off is still selling items on Fleabay although i'm not sure if he has the same model still, dudes got a LOT of stuff listed. PM me and i'll let you know the guys ebay seller name and you can then do a seller search if your looking for one of the same. You'll be able to message him and find out if he has another for sale.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 17.99
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
$ 279.95
There are 9587 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 192.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside