• L3 9 votes
    3%
  • L5 97 votes
    35%
  • P7 8 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 279 votes by 278 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,235 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200407_190902 (resized).jpg
b8200457f9327f6cd31127c93892dad30ed95957 (resized).jpg
20200405_162710 (resized).jpg
20200405_162737 (resized).jpg
20200404_154838 (resized).jpg
20200404_211303 (resized).jpg
20200405_140421 (resized).jpg
20200405_140411 (resized).jpg
774DCA6E-EEDA-41B2-9E8D-DC731CB95603 (resized).jpeg
20200405_110602 (resized).jpg
20200405_110624 (resized).jpg
20200405_110614 (resized).jpg
pinball (resized).PNG
IMG_20200403_105125~2.jpg
CC6AE388-B7B5-473D-BF37-B1E2CA98EF8C (resized).jpeg
2C5DFA54-A34A-485C-8B42-D9AB99A66292 (resized).jpeg

There are 10558 posts in this topic. You are on page 204 of 212.
#10151 3 months ago
Quoted from Sprudeldudel:

Thanks.
However, counter intuitively, stereo is a BAD choice for voice. Here is why:
mr_tantrum can these assetts be easily saved as mono in pinsound explorer. if not, plese let me know and I will try to convert them to mono with audacity.

The video above recommends against recording vocals with a stereo mic. These callouts were not recorded with a stereo microphone. The stereo recordings were made by recording each callout multiple times and stacking similar pairs, with one panned hard left and one panned hard right, and with time stretching corrections where needed. This is the most reliable way to achieve a “wide stereo” effect that I think is appropriate for these callouts. If you mono them you’ll lose the effect I was going for and you’ll have a chorus of two me’s saying “don’t move” in mono. Feel free to go into the “source” folder for all of the original mono takes, and do what you like with them.

#10152 3 months ago
Quoted from spblat:

These callouts were not recorded with a stereo microphone. The stereo recordings were made by recording each callout multiple times and stacking similar pairs, with one panned hard left and one panned hard right, and with time stretching corrections where needed.

Now this is great news That way we get the stereo effect with a reliable dead center position. Nice!!!
BTW: The voice is absolutely awesome and a great fit. I would dare to say you could compete with Ritchie himself

#10153 3 months ago

Thank you! I can’t wait to hear how it sounds in an actual pin and make further necessary tweaks. I’m inclined to suggest distortion levels 2 and 5 randomized for “shift now”, “redline mania,” and “supercharger ready,” and distortion levels 0 and 2 randomized for everything else.

#10154 3 months ago
Quoted from EStroh:

I'm using 6 sound packages on my Pinsound + board - Five I made and one of Mr_Tantrum's mixes ("John Wick" - which rocks). All are working well
First, reformat your flash drive as Mr_Tantrum mentioned (FAT32)
Second, you will need to put an "audio" folder and the config.pinsound file on the root.
Just start with one sound mix for now. I always use uncompressed WAV files. Put it in the audio folder.
Put the USB into the game. Start it up.
You should hear "loading sound files, please wait". This may take a half hour.
You should be good at this point.
To load more sound packages, just put them in the "audio" folder and repeat the process.
Switching sound packages on the Pinsound plus board while playing is a little different than Mr-Tantrum's Pinsound 1 board. To change sound packages you will need to turn the volume to zero twice. There is a little finesse with this, but you will get the hang of the timing of it. You will hear the "jingle" when the sound package changes.

I use Pinsound Studio to load files on USB. My board will load the file in under a minute. Not sure why some people have to wait 30 minutes for the file to load? I have never heard of the config.pinsound file being required to be loaded separately on the USB. Isn’t this file generated by the Pinsiund card when the file has been loaded? Thanks.

#10155 3 months ago
Quoted from Sprudeldudel:

Thanks.
However, counter intuitively, stereo is a BAD choice for voice. Here is why:
mr_tantrum can these assetts be easily saved as mono in pinsound explorer. if not, plese let me know and I will try to convert them to mono with audacity.

Well, first of all I'm going to disagree with you as it relates to audio for use in pinball. I convert all of my voices (actually, all files including callouts) to stereo for my orchestrations for this and other pins, and they clearly deliver an overall better sound than mono tracks IMO. If mono is still one's preference, it is quite simple in Audacity to convert any stereo file to a mono one. Going the other way is a little more effort, but I still use Audacity with the Nyquist plug-in which gives you control over some of the elements (i.e. it's not just the mono track duplicated identically for left & right channels).

#10156 3 months ago
Quoted from spblat:

Thank you! I can’t wait to hear how it sounds in an actual pin and make further necessary tweaks. I’m inclined to suggest distortion levels 2 and 5 randomized for “shift now”, “redline mania,” and “supercharger ready,” and distortion levels 0 and 2 randomized for everything else.

Probably just me, but I'm not a fan of the distorted callouts. Then again, I loathe sound effects like auto tune. Great news is that spblat is making the files available in a multitude of formats so that different people can use what they each like, or even start with the originals and apply their own effects.

His work takes me back to a few years ago when I was putting together fully customized orchestrations before I ever actually owned a PinSound. If I was totally honest with myself, I believe that I get more out of this hobby from the creativity side of things verses actually playing the games, and I'm sure that others probably feel the same. I appreciate spblat's contribution and openness to share his work, and I also encourage anyone to use my orchestrations as a basis for their own customization.

#10157 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I use Pinsound Studio to load files on USB. My board will load the file in under a minute. Not sure why some people have to wait 30 minutes for the file to load? I have never heard of the config.pinsound file being required to be loaded separately on the USB. Isn’t this file generated by the Pinsiund card when the file has been loaded? Thanks.

I use nothing to load the files onto mine other than Windows file explorer (fully documented in my guide thread).

#10158 3 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I use nothing to load the files onto mine other than Windows file explorer (fully documented in my guide thread).

How long does the game take to load a new orchestration? I’m not sure why others are experiencing wait times of 30 minutes when mine load within a minute of turning the game on with a brand new orchestration. This is the same for my Dr Who and Tommy, which also have Pinsound cards.

#10159 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

How long does the game take to load a new orchestration? I’m not sure why others are experiencing wait times of 30 minutes when mine load within a minute of turning the game on with a brand new orchestration. This is the same for my Dr Who and Tommy, which also have Pinsound cards.

I think it's a question of whether the package you've loaded on the USB drive has formats other than wav. When I put pinsound in my TZ I recall that installing either the default or the Granner package took quite awhile, and there are indeed a bunch of ogg files in there. Mr_T has talked about the value of using fre:ac to replace oggs and mp3s with wav in the source folders to skip this delay.

#10160 3 months ago
Quoted from spblat:

I think it's a question of whether the package you've loaded on the USB drive has formats other than wav. When I put pinsound in my TZ I recall that installing either the default or the Granner package took quite awhile, and there are indeed a bunch of ogg files in there. Mr_T has talked about the value of using fre:ac to replace oggs and mp3s with wav in the source folders to skip this delay.

All my orchestrations use OGG format and still very little delay to load.

#10161 3 months ago

Omg you guys are melting my brains!...However does anyone happen to to know the output on that board, that is, That is to say is it set up for 8ohm loads, or 4ohm like the oem was?...Reason I ask is FF is 8 ohm hooked in series, does that affect the stereo capability of this board? (Cant seem to find a build sheet on it)

#10162 3 months ago

When you download an orchestration from the PinSound site, the file is a zipped copy that contains the entire file structure using .OGG files. The reason for this is that .OGG files are highly compressed verses .WAV files which would make the download file significantly larger. However, PinSound only reads/uses .WAV files so the orchestration must be converted the first time before it can be used. Therefore, the user has a choice: 1) Copy the zip to the PinSound and allow it to perform the conversion of all files and building of the file structure, or 2) You do it on a significantly more powerful computer using free software tools. Once the conversion of all files from .OGG to .WAV is performed the initial time, the change is permanent for that orchestration and the time taken for the initial conversion never needs to be performed again.

I've been told that this conversion process is significantly faster on PinSound+ verses PinSound 1, but I have no experience with the newer board. Therefore, my experience is as follows:

Let the PinSound do the conversion:
PROS - Takes no technical knowledge of third party software to perform the conversion - just plug & play
CONS - Takes significantly longer each time you want to load a new orchestration (can take between 15-30 minutes on PS1)

Do the conversion on your computer:
PROS - Can achieve a full file conversion and transfer to USB drive in less than 5 minutes
CONS - Must have third party tools (free) and know how to use them, and you must understand the required file structure on the USB drive

With the 6 or 7 orchestrations I have on my current Getaway PinSound 1, the PinSound takes about 60 seconds or so to boot to the ready state from power off until the pin has sound and is ready for play.

#10163 3 months ago

Funny man...* Jenni snorts with faux indignation

#10164 3 months ago

What do most of you think? LED or no LED in the backbox?

#10165 3 months ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

I'm LED all the way, including flashers. Not only that, I prefer the 4 SMD non-domed non-ghosting LEDs from Comet. Not only do they look better IMO, but they don't generate the heat. I'm happy to snap a pic of things if/when you are considering ordering bulbs.

#10166 3 months ago

I had the same debate recently. Just updated with the Black Friday sales. It shows a lot more depth with the LED bulbs. I can take some photos tonight to show my bulb layout. It is pretty inexpensive as well. Some backglasses look good with LED bulbs, others I don’t see a difference. My GnR I don’t see the real difference.

Some games have too many bulbs in the backglass so it is better to leave some slots empty actually to get more effect from the bulbs. Getaway I use all the slots. Think I use red, blue, white and yellow bulbs and red flashers. I used mainly frosted, except clear red behind the Getaway lettering.

#10167 3 months ago

LED all the way

#10168 3 months ago

LED it is. Thanks for the replies.

BTW, Pinsound is amazing with multiple game soundtracks. Not exactly like having multiple machines, but close. Love how you can change the songs on the fly. Will be getting a new Pinsound/speakers for TZ

#10169 3 months ago

Here is my set up.

134750CC-AB84-4C5E-B1DC-7051387FC7AD (resized).jpeg7AA89B51-E94E-4235-A2D0-A15A73D48F58 (resized).jpeg
#10170 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Here is my set up.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for posting. Looks great.

#10171 3 months ago

Thanks for posting. Looks great.

Sure, looks better in person. Hard to see colors well and white is not so blinding. Can see the image clearly.

#10172 3 months ago

Kind of off topic but since so many Pinsound users for Getaway, cheap solution to having to access USB from behind backglass. You can pick up a USB extension cable for under $10. Now access USB easily from coin door. Great for those creating new orchestrations.

8325B3B8-F162-4744-8344-BBF7B1B25DAD (resized).jpeg97ACDC2A-93D1-45DC-970B-2659A543060E (resized).jpeg
#10173 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Kind of off topic but since so many Pinsound users for Getaway, cheap solution to having to access USB from behind backglass. You can pick up a USB extension cable for under $10. Now access USB easily from coin door. Great for those creating new orchestrations. I went with 10 foot version. [quoted image][quoted image]

#10174 3 months ago

Pinsound shows up tomorrow. Have 2 sticks loaded to test them out. I can't wait!

STTNG is down for the count with a short I can't figure out.. This fella is going to get a workout tomorrow night.

#10175 3 months ago
Quoted from SDVmnt:

Pinsound shows up tomorrow. Have 2 sticks loaded to test them out. I can't wait!
STTNG is down for the count with a short I can't figure out.. This fella is going to get a workout tomorrow night.

I have a new Pulp Fiction orchestration for Getaway I may upload this weekend. It’s not perfect but a first draft. Need to find a way to improve the quality of the vocal tracks. Pretty sure they are mono. Taken from video clips from You Tube.

#10176 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I have a new Pulp Fiction orchestration for Getaway I may upload this weekend. It’s not perfect but a first draft. Need to find a way to improve the quality of the vocal tracks. Pretty sure they are mono. Taken from video clips from You Tube.

Ooh. Great idea

#10177 89 days ago

Here is my final/favorite setup after having 3 or 4 different configurations over the last few years. I use Comet 4 SMD non-domed, non-ghosting bulbs. The reds and blues are obvious, the whiter looking bulbs are natural/cool white, and the two yellowish are warm white (they illuminate the driver & passenger). I also use the Comet 10SMD medium tower flashers (all natural/cool white). I do have an extra bulb at the bottom I added to illuminate the license plate.

GI Bulbs: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/4smd-non-ghosting
Flashers: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/medium-tower-flashers?variant=29411773382758
IMG_3274 (resized).JPGIMG_3275 (resized).JPG

A1B9F4CF-5ED2-4767-988C-BCFC1324C3F2.jpeg
#10178 89 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Here is my final/favorite setup after having 3 or 4 different configurations over the last few years. I use Comet 4 SMD non-domed, non-ghosting bulbs. The reds and blues are obvious, the whiter looking bulbs are natural/cool white, and the two yellowish are warm white (they illuminate the driver & passenger). I also use the Comet 10SMD medium tower flashers (all natural/cool white). I do have an extra bulb at the bottom I added to illuminate the license plate.
GI Bulbs: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/4smd-non-ghosting
Flashers: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/medium-tower-flashers?variant=29411773382758[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I will give two yellows a try where the two people in the car are situated. Have you tried red clear behind the Getaway lettering?

#10179 89 days ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Ooh. Great idea

Like to do Scarface if I can find the soundtrack somewhere.

#10180 89 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I will give two yellows a try where the two people in the car are situated. Have you tried red clear behind the Getaway lettering?

Yellows are not bright enough so I use warm white. Yes, I’ve had reds behind lettering, but it washes out the detail.

#10181 89 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Here's what I use, all comet 2smd frosted, mostly natural white and sunlight but some red and yellow mixed in but there is no over saturation. There are 2 photos with the CPR mirrored backglass, 1 in the dark and 1 in the light and 1 from my old translite with the same bulb configuration in the light. All flashers are led and R/W/B in the police lights...

EDIT: I used 2smd natural white faceted in the head lights

LED Back Box (resized).jpgTranslite (resized).jpgbackglass Mirror 3 (resized).jpgBackglass mirror 2 (resized).jpg

#10182 89 days ago

Hey pinheads!

I finally got around to loading up my Pendulum based Pinsound orchestration to the pinsound community (after many iterations to make me happy with it). If you want a good ripping DnB soundtrack for your getaway, give it a try!

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/295-hs2-the-getaway-coyohtays-dnb-mix/

#10183 88 days ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

Hey pinheads!
I finally got around to loading up my Pendulum based Pinsound orchestration to the pinsound community (after many iterations to make me happy with it). If you want a good ripping DnB soundtrack for your getaway, give it a try!
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/295-hs2-the-getaway-coyohtays-dnb-mix/

Will definitely check it out. I think Getaway is the leader in Pinsound orchestrations now. I think the count is up to 22. Keep them coming! mr_tantrum what happened to that disco remix? Back of the priorities now? Thanks.

#10184 88 days ago

Does one of you pinsound guys have a good working old sound board? mine has taken a dump and blows the 5 pin transistor on power up. there doesnt seem to be anyone selling re pops of that board yet.

#10185 88 days ago

Well actually they do, It is called Pinsound, and apparently it is the cats meow.

#10186 88 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Will definitely check it out. I think Getaway is the leader in Pinsound orchestrations now. I think the count is up to 22. Keep them coming! mr_tantrum what happened to that disco remix? Back of the priorities now? Thanks.

Hope you have upgraded speakers because it sounds really good with good speakers with bass

#10187 88 days ago
Quoted from Meatneck:

Does one of you pinsound guys have a good working old sound board? mine has taken a dump and blows the 5 pin transistor on power up. there doesnt seem to be anyone selling re pops of that board yet.

Mine was flakey, which is why I replaced it. If you can squirrel away the money the pinsound is well worth it

#10188 88 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Forgot all about it, actually. I'll have to get working on it. Been so busy making loads of mods for everyone, I've barely had time to do anything for myself the last several months.

#10189 88 days ago
Quoted from Meatneck:

Well, I had one that I was willing to part with but my wife cleaned out the walk-in attic and somehow it dissappeared. I've looked everywhere, but it is gone.

#10190 88 days ago

Mrs Tantrum, Thanks for that amp, any word on that driver board yet?...(Jenn laughs)

#10191 88 days ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

How many versions will the pin sound hold that you can choose from ? 22 ?

#10192 88 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

As many as you can fit on the USB drive, I assume. However, the more you have the longer the PinSound takes to boot.

#10193 88 days ago
Quoted from MJW:

I currently have 4: original, ZZTop (reworked with additional songs from Afterburner and Recycler), Pendulum and a Rush one I'm working on. I still mostly play it with Pendulum as it really fits the theme. I would assume number of packages are only limited by the size of the thumb drive.

#10194 87 days ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

I currently have 4: original, ZZTop (reworked with additional songs from Afterburner and Recycler), Pendulum and a Rush one I'm working on. I still mostly play it with Pendulum as it really fits the theme. I would assume number of packages are only limited by the size of the thumb drive.

I did a Rush one for Dr Who. Check it out.

#10195 86 days ago

Has anybody experimented with taking the original sound effects and "stereo-izing" them? What you do is take two copies of the sound, pan one left and one right, then delay one by 10-30 milliseconds.

Here's an example of three familiar Getaway effects. Each is first heard in mono and then in stereo.In the third one, the jackpot sound starts in mono and then expands to stereo.

Has anyone ever done this? Should I make more?

#10196 86 days ago
Quoted from spblat:

Has anybody experimented with taking the original sound effects and "stereo-izing" them? What you do is take two copies of the sound, pan one left and one right, then delay one by 10-30 milliseconds.

Here's an example of three familiar Getaway effects. Each is first heard in mono and then in stereo.In the third one, the jackpot sound starts in mono and then expands to stereo.

I've played with it some, and I do this in a variety of other commissioned orchestrations I've done for others. Just decided it hasn't been worth my time to go back and do them all for Getaway. Also, 10ms delay is about is long as I like to go before things start sounding too echo-ish.

If someone wants to take the time to do it and it sounds good, then I would be happy to update all of my orchestrations and re-upload them on the community forum. Who knows, I may get to it one of these days if nobody else takes it on. Of course, I would only do the original sounds that I keep in my custom orchestrations where I have a multitude of custom SFX.

Although I don't document exactly how to do it, I do reference it in my guide. Personally, I use Audacity with the Nyquist Effects plugin, but I'm sure any sound editor of choice should have the capability.

#10197 86 days ago
Quoted from spblat:

Definitely sounds a lot better. What program are you using to do this? Would love to use this for some of the vocal files I have downloaded off Youtube. Thanks.

#10198 86 days ago

I happen to use REAPER for all things audio, but I bet it can also be done with audacity.

#10199 86 days ago
Quoted from spblat:

but I bet it can also be done with audacity.

Requires the free Nyquist plugins | https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Download_Nyquist_Plug-ins#download

Process is as follows once plugin is installed (you can also script it):

1) Launch Audacity and load mono file
pasted_image (resized).png

2) Highlight entire wave image by double-clicking with your mouse, copy, then paste to create 2 identical tracks

3) Click the black down triangle on the top track and select "Make Stereo Track" to join the two mono tracks

4) Double click track to highlight, click on "Effect" menu, then click Pseud-Stereo to launch the settings window

5) Set desired settings (my are 10% delay factor & 80% Effect mix for the Right (lower) channel) then click OK button (or you can preview) to apply effect.

6) Export WAV audio as normal

#10200 86 days ago

Tantrum delivers again! I dug around and found that there's a JavaScript plugin included with REAPER called MDA Pseudo Stereo. It offers the Haas effect (discussed above) and a comb effect (which I don't know anything about but I think achieves a wider effect). This plugin will make it easier to blend and pan some of the more complex effects.

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 5.06.13 PM (resized).png

In other news, I'm definitely skipping this month's Marco order to get Pinsound for my Getaway.

EDIT: Also I've begun working on a set of loops from The Crystal Method's "Trip Like I Do." The original, not the remix featuring Filter.

Listen to this with headphones turned up and tell me it doesn't blow your mind.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
There are 10558 posts in this topic. You are on page 204 of 212.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside