• L3 11 votes
    3%
  • L5 120 votes
    34%
  • P7 9 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    2%

(Multiple choice - 348 votes by 346 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shooter repair4 (resized).jpg
shooter repair3 (resized).jpg
Shooter repair2a (resized).png
Shooter repair1 (resized).jpg
Disappearing post fix4 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix3 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix2 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix1 (resized).jpeg
HSIIclear (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Shooter rod (resized).jpg
DSC06633 (resized).JPG
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
PXL_20240408_220306294 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240408_220311370 (resized).jpg
There are 13,819 posts in this topic. You are on page 186 of 277.
#9251 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

One of those light board is wired backwards. Im at work for 4 more hours, but will let you know which one when I get home.

Good catch...board on right in first picture is wrong. Red wires go to the banded side of the diode.

lamp (resized).jpglamp (resized).jpg
#9252 5 years ago

The one on the left is wrong. Flip the wires and you should be good to go.

#9253 5 years ago

The board that you marked with the blue arrow needs to be unsoldered, then rotated 180 degrees then resoldered with the wires in there same position.

98d8358b3235ad5af33c0edfeb4f791db192837e (resized).jpg98d8358b3235ad5af33c0edfeb4f791db192837e (resized).jpg
#9254 5 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Did you fix the issue with your light sockets? I had the same issue with my Shadow, and I fixed it by taking the bulb out, scraping the inside of the socket with steel wool, and then cleaning using rubbing alcohol on a q-tip.

Thanks, right now the pin is apart waiting for a flipper rebuild kit but I’ll try that out. A lot of the sockets have corrosion so I wouldn’t be surprised if this helps.

#9255 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The board that you marked with the blue arrow needs to be unsoldered, then rotated 180 degrees then resoldered with the wires in there same position.
[quoted image]

Thanks guys. Anyone able to snap a pic from your game?

Edit- I just reread your post a couple times. I think it makes sense. I’ll give it a shot.

#9256 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

I think it makes sense. I’ll give it a shot.

If the yellow wire was longer I would have just said reverse the wires, so the next best thing is to spin the board.

Take a pic when your done, and we can look it over before you put it back together.

#9257 5 years ago
Quoted from crank:

The one on the left is wrong. Flip the wires and you should be good to go.

There's two pictures...first picture, wrong one is on right. Yellow wire is on banded side of diode which is wrong. 2nd picture, with boards flipped, wrong one is on the left. Just for clarification to the OP.

OP, on the board there are two connection soldered spots. Each has a trace on the board. One has a trace directly to the lamp socket. One has a trace directly to the banded side of the diode. The connection with the trace to the lamp socket gets the yellow wires. The connection to the trace to the diode gets the red wires. As Grumpy said, if the jumper wire is too short, rotate the board or cut/strip yourself another wire.

#9258 5 years ago

Once in a while the diverter ramp will not open fully, when this happens you can hear the coil buzzing trying to open it. What I found is when I move the ramp by hand, it binds the first bit of movement and then is fine the rest of the way. I have cleaned all the parts, replaced the coil sleeve. It seems to me that it could be the actuator ( piece that the ramp shaft slides into).

Is this a common problem?

#9259 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

I think I am honing in on the issue. Think its the diode on the light board as I can see it is hacked up. And different than the one other diode across from it.
Does this look right? Does anyone know off hand what type of diode should go on this board?
[quoted image][quoted image]

disregard, someone else answered

#9260 5 years ago
Quoted from Nick_C:

Once in a while the diverter ramp will not open fully, when this happens you can hear the coil buzzing trying to open it. What I found is when I move the ramp by hand, it binds the first bit of movement and then is fine the rest of the way. I have cleaned all the parts, replaced the coil sleeve. It seems to me that it could be the actuator ( piece that the ramp shaft slides into).
Is this a common problem?

Don't know if common, but the piece that the ramp shaft slides into on mine was bent a little so I had to reshape a little. Also, maybe some Teflon lubricant or similar might help if applied to the shaft and actuator?

#9261 5 years ago

Guys, thanks for all the help with the lamp wiring! I took the advice and re-soldered the wires and the issue is solved.

Pinside is so great. I dont know if i would have worked that out without pinside.

#9262 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

the issue is solved.

Playball!!

#9263 5 years ago

If anyone has any good guides on ramp switch errors and the supercharger let me know.

I saw one video on You Tube on it and I have some ideas....

The issue is this was an import and I am fixing the multitude of issues that sometimes arise when you buy an import. The coils look good switches appear good, have to test them. I think I will replace the supercharger optos but I am usually a person who just replaces things that may be bad versus saving a buck.

#9264 5 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I am fixing the multitude of issues that sometimes arise when you buy an import.

Tell everyone what your issues are and I'm sure someone will be able to help with it. As far as the ramp switches go in your earlier posts, I believe there is only 1 ramp switch to the switch matrix and 5 optos for the super charger. 3 optos go to the accelerator board, the other 2 go to an opto board. If you can narrow it down to which ones that are giving you trouble.

#9265 5 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

If anyone has any good guides on ramp switch errors and the supercharger let me know.
I saw one video on You Tube on it and I have some ideas....
The issue is this was an import and I am fixing the multitude of issues that sometimes arise when you buy an import. The coils look good switches appear good, have to test them. I think I will replace the supercharger optos but I am usually a person who just replaces things that may be bad versus saving a buck.

I have a re-import, these were all built in the USA and sent overseas, it's kind of cool thinking about where your pin was and who played it but the issues are usually the hacks on them are pretty bad. I found that when I converted it to the US standards (no hacks in the service box and transformer) 90% of my issues went away. Yes, I replaced all of the optos, rebuilt all of the flippers, put on a NOS coin door... the pin has been rock solid for 12 years+

#9266 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Tell everyone what your issues are and I'm sure someone will be able to help with it. As far as the ramp switches go in your earlier posts, I believe there is only 1 ramp switch to the switch matrix and 5 optos for the super charger. 3 optos go to the accelerator board, the other 2 go to an opto board. If you can narrow it down to which ones that are giving you trouble.

I think I got all the errors - switch 81, opto 1, switch 83 opto 3, divertor error, up down map down error.

I am thinking to replace all the optos but any other ideas before I order parts?

043A6567-AB93-438F-B9F8-B10BE171E4D8 (resized).jpeg043A6567-AB93-438F-B9F8-B10BE171E4D8 (resized).jpeg4998DEFD-3CD3-4800-990F-37A70DB1790E (resized).jpeg4998DEFD-3CD3-4800-990F-37A70DB1790E (resized).jpegA1860EA0-241B-46A6-8FDC-08CC18427F8B (resized).jpegA1860EA0-241B-46A6-8FDC-08CC18427F8B (resized).jpegA528827C-D916-4701-ACDE-089BCF58B714 (resized).jpegA528827C-D916-4701-ACDE-089BCF58B714 (resized).jpeg
#9267 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I have a re-import, these were all built in the USA and sent overseas, it's kind of cool thinking about where your pin was and who played it but the issues are usually the hacks on them are pretty bad. I found that when I converted it to the US standards (no hacks in the service box and transformer) 90% of my issues went away. Yes, I replaced all of the optos, rebuilt all of the flippers, put on a NOS coin door... the pin has been rock solid for 12 years+

It’s was a non working project and I am so close to getting it working. I have done all the flippers coils, but I think optos are next. It has been a back burner project now I am ready to fix this issue.

#9268 5 years ago

Basic troubleshooting....have you checked each of those switches/optos in switch edge test diagnostic mode? Does each switch/opto and only each switch make/break properly when activated? Do the opto transmitters have power? Could be a matrix issue, so I would rule that out before going to the trouble of replacing opto's.

#9269 5 years ago

Looking to update the s/w but don't want to invest in buying a burner. Anybody know of source to purchase preloaded chips?

#9270 5 years ago
Quoted from ProjectSmoke:

Looking to update date the s/w but don't want to invest in buying a burner. Anybody know of source to purchase preloaded chips?

I don’t see Getaway on his site (he seems to have tons of other titles listed), but I suggest you PM meloyelo51. I just got my JP ROMS from him, and it was fast and easy.

#9271 5 years ago

I bought a pair this week from Astill for my getaway, L-2 and L-5.

#9272 5 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

I bought a pair this week from astill for my getaway, L-2 and L-5.

Awesome thanks for the info.

#9273 5 years ago

I've been purchasing Astill's product for decades, you won't go wrong there !

Quoted from ProjectSmoke:

Awesome thanks for the info.

#9274 5 years ago

Wierd issue!

Ball goes in the supercharger ring, goes around just fine, and after diverter wont open... falls back down the ramp.
I saw somewhere to take the glass off and get the sc to max and throw the ball up there. I did that and it actually worked! Everything back to normal for like 10 games, then the same issue came back except this time maxing the sc doesnt get the diverter working again.
Sux.
Any1 have similar issue or advice?
Clean/align optos, or ???
Thx!

#9275 5 years ago

Also... any idea what rom this is??
G2? I thought they were all L-something?

07BB915F-03D6-455C-9587-FABED461FB72 (resized).jpeg07BB915F-03D6-455C-9587-FABED461FB72 (resized).jpegC16B8C06-86E6-46A4-9E1D-DFC71F3E0722 (resized).jpegC16B8C06-86E6-46A4-9E1D-DFC71F3E0722 (resized).jpeg
#9276 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Wierd issue!
Ball goes in the supercharger ring, goes around just fine, and after diverter wont open... falls back down the ramp.
I saw somewhere to take the glass off and get the sc to max and throw the ball up there. I did that and it actually worked! Everything back to normal for like 10 games, then the same issue came back except this time maxing the sc doesnt get the diverter working again.
Sux.
Any1 have similar issue or advice?
Clean/align optos, or ???
Thx!

Could be a flaky opto. I had all sorts of issues with my SC when I first got it. Replaced all the options (I think 5) and life got much better. You can test them all in service mode. I don’t think they were designed to work reliably for 25+ years.

As for the firmware, I don’t recall ever coming across G2. I checked IPDB and not listed there. Was your machine an import? Maybe G is same as L2 for another country/language? (Pure speculation on my part)

#9277 5 years ago

3 things.
Would the optos affect if the diverter wont open?
Never worked on optos... just wipe them off and lineup positioning?
Can u test optos in the menu?

#9278 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

3 things.
Would the optos affect if the diverter wont open?
Never worked on optos... just wipe them off and lineup positioning?
Can u test optos in the menu?

Yes, as the opto is what tells the machine that a ball has passed which triggers the positioning of the diverter.

For the 2 ramp entrance and SC loop opto pairs (see #37 & #38 on page 2-38) you will use T.3 Single Switches (this will be the one you want to test the opto pair on the entrance ramp which communicates to the gate to divert to loop, and the one on the SC loop which communicates to the gate to open so ball exits loop). According to the switch matrix (p 3-4), the entrance ramp opto is switch #85, and the loop made opto is switch #84

To test the 3 optos related to the magnets in the supercharger, that would be T.12 (p 1-16). You enter this test, then you can test various combinations of the magnets being enabled, but as the ball loops continuously, you will also see the opto state for each of the 3.

If you don't have a manual, you can d/l a searchable PDF version here: https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=getaway#1000

Sometimes wiping them is good, other times they are burned out. One opto in the pair should be clear (transmitter) and the other black (receiver). As they age/deteriorate the clear one turns black and does not perform as well.

If you do end up replacing them, the opto board set is the way to go if you want to make it easy on yourself when replacing them. You would just unsolder the two wires for the old one then remove it, put the new one in and solder the wires tot the pads. If you have stripped out or broken opto mounts, then you'll need to purchase the full opto assembly set. Also, I know it is money, but if you replace one set you might as well replace all 5, as one going bad is indicative that they others of the same age probably don't have much longer either.

Board Sets
Marco's | https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-14231-2
PBL | https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-led-and-pcb-board-set.html

Assembly Sets/Bases
PBL | https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-infared-led-opto-assembly-set.html
Marco's (white) | https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8506-1
Marco's (black) | https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8506

#9279 5 years ago

Wow!
Thx for the info!
Ill let u kno my findings!

#9280 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Wow!
Thx for the info!
Ill let u kno my findings!

You're welcome. BTW, you can easily hand test the ramp and loop optos using an opaque piece of paper (e.g. business card) or some other solid object. Just put pin in correct test mode then pass object back and forth between opto pairs.

One other thing I didn't mention, is that if your opto brackets are broken then it might be possible for them to shake out of alignment, so check that. Finally, make sure you have a good solder of the wire to the pad. Intermittent opto operation to me means a few things could be the cause:

1) Opto going bad
2) Opto pair out of alignment (vibration sometimes may cause them to be in alignment and other times out of alignment)
3) Wire is coming loose at opto (again, vibration may cause wire to make contact at times, and to not make contact at other times).
4) Wire is loose/not connected at other end or at point in chain. This is simple to test by looking at the other switches on the matrix that are in the same row and column (i.e. share wires). If other switches perform correctly then you can rule this out.

#9281 5 years ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

I just installed a LED ColorDMD on my Getaway. Looks awesome; better than I was expecting and looks better in person than in pics. Only complaint is that in a dark room, the top edge of the top row has what looks like the back light shining through making a horizontal line fairly visible. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this. Aside from that, I’m still quite pleased with the DMD.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Get 3/4" foam weather stripping from Home Depot and just double up what was there from the factory. Had the same thing on my Creature, this fixed that completely and looks much better.

#9282 5 years ago

Looking at doing a Pinsound remix for my Getaway. Here are my choices: The Clash, Rush or Black Sabbath.

My preference is The Clash. Think “Police on my back” would be perfect for the video mode chase. If you have suggestions, PM me.

#9283 5 years ago

Rush please!
Fly by night in vid mode

#9284 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Looking at doing a Pinsound remix for my Getaway. Here are my choices: The Clash, Rush or Black Sabbath.
My preference is The Clash. Think “Police on my back” would be perfect for the video mode chase. If you have suggestions, PM me.

What would be your selection for the main theme song from each group?

#9285 5 years ago

Red Barachetta !

Quoted from Dantesmark:

Rush please!
Fly by night in vid mode

#9286 5 years ago

Tom soy?

#9287 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

What would be your selection for the main theme song from each group?

I haven't decided yet. Have to play around with each song to see which fits best. Most of these groups have some great instrumental elements, which I think would work well.

#9288 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I haven't decided yet. Have to play around with each song to see which fits best. Most of these groups have some great instrumental elements, which I think would work well.

Whatever you choose, the main theme needs some kind if riff that you can use for prior to ball launch, then transitions well into the song (you can obviously cut the song to start where you want).

#9289 5 years ago

Replaced the motor in my beacon:

Big thank you to WeirPinball for a great price and fast shipping.

The Aluminum tape on the backboard is a running joke from BYOAC

#9290 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Replaced the motor in my beacon:
Big thank you to WeirPinball for a great price and fast shipping.
The Aluminum tape on the backboard is a running joke from BYOAC

Well done. Makes it really fun to play in a dark room.

#9291 5 years ago

I picked up the L-5 and L-2 roms with the LED patch, they got rid of the ghosting on my inserts, but I got an odd error when I booted it up after swapping the roms. It said gear shift error, but if I cancel out of the service menu the game plays fine. I swapped back in the old rom to see if it was something with the patched one, but I got the same error. What would cause this error? How should I go about diagnosing it?

Also the guy I bought the machine off sent me a replacement rear ramp flap since the game was missing one. Is it just riveted in? What's the easiest method to install it? Will I have to take out the supercharger?

#9292 5 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

I picked up the L-5 and L-2 roms with the LED patch, they got rid of the ghosting on my inserts, but I got an odd error when I booted it up after swapping the roms. It said gear shift error, but if I cancel out of the service menu the game plays fine. I swapped back in the old rom to see if it was something with the patched one, but I got the same error. What would cause this error? How should I go about diagnosing it?
Also the guy I bought the machine off sent me a replacement rear ramp flap since the game was missing one. Is it just riveted in? What's the easiest method to install it? Will I have to take out the supercharger?

I would play a game in which you shift both up and down to switch gears. If the error still shows in service mode, then go to switch test and verify up and down switch register correctly. I've been told that if a switch is not used within so many plays that a switch error will show. When swapping ROMs, not sure what is retained in memory or not that might impact this.

Regarding the back ramp, yes it is just riveted it and I do believe you will have to disassemble much of the SC in order to get the part out so that you can install the flap (at least I did).

#9293 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I would play a game in which you shift both up and down to switch gears. If the error still shows in service mode, then go to switch test and verify up and down switch register correctly. I've been told that if a switch is not used within so many plays that a switch error will show. When swapping ROMs, not sure what is retained in memory or not that might impact this.
Regarding the back ramp, yes it is just riveted it and I do believe you will have to disassemble much of the SC in order to get the part out so that you can install the flap (at least I did).

Thanks, I ran the diagnostic test on the shifter and it registered up and down correctly. In game both up and down work too, verified them during launch and video mode. Swapping the ROM reset the settings to factory. The machine is an Italian re-import which must have lived by the sea based on the corrosion on the lamp sockets lol.

I guess I'll wait on putting in the flap for now if it requires a major tear down. The mylar is showing some major wear along its edges so I'm contemplating removing it completely. The game has a Diamondplate playfield, which to my understanding means the game has a factory clear coat. Since I'm not routing it, I can probably get away without the mylar correct?

#9294 5 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Thanks, I ran the diagnostic test on the shifter and it registered up and down correctly. In game both up and down work too, verified them during launch and video mode. Swapping the ROM reset the settings to factory. The machine is an Italian re-import which must have lived by the sea based on the corrosion on the lamp sockets lol.
I guess I'll wait on putting in the flap for now if it requires a major tear down. The mylar is showing some major wear along its edges so I'm contemplating removing it completely. The game has a Diamondplate playfield, which to my understanding means the game has a factory clear coat. Since I'm not routing it, I can probably get away without the mylar correct?

Most definitely. However, if you've never removed mylar before (I have not) you better read everything you can to avoid messing up the playfield finish. I know there are both hot and cold removal processes, but can't speak to what is best or how to do it.

#9295 5 years ago

I removed the Mylar from my diamond plate pf easily with the freeze method.

#9296 5 years ago

I have a cop car mod and was wondering if i can hook it up to the mars flasher?

#9297 5 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Sometimes removing mylar goes well and other times not so well, every instance is different on the same machines. I personally have no issues with leaving the factory mylar in place, it does help save the pf, especially in that pop bumper area.

I restored the worn out hole area on my Getaway, after the paint and clear coat I waxed the pf and applied mylar, the wax coating supposedly makes removing the mylar easier but I put a cliffy over it and now it doesn't matter. lol

#9298 5 years ago

Can u hook up an led mod to the mars lamp using alligator clips?

#9299 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

I haven't taken the time to look up or test voltages, but if the lamp and police car are the same, I don't see why not. Probably just need to clip onto the motor leads. Others have done additional police lights on top of the Getaway before, and they had to tap into the same circuit.

#9300 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Short answer is no. Check out posts 7244 & 7249 in this thread for details on what I did.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 20.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 13,819 posts in this topic. You are on page 186 of 277.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/186?hl=wamonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.