• L3 11 votes
    3%
  • L5 120 votes
    34%
  • P7 9 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    2%

(Multiple choice - 348 votes by 346 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shooter repair4 (resized).jpg
shooter repair3 (resized).jpg
Shooter repair2a (resized).png
Shooter repair1 (resized).jpg
Disappearing post fix4 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix3 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix2 (resized).jpeg
Disappearing post fix1 (resized).jpeg
HSIIclear (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Shooter rod (resized).jpg
DSC06633 (resized).JPG
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
PXL_20240408_220306294 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240408_220311370 (resized).jpg
There are 13,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 162 of 277.
#8051 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

It has brand new ninja chrome balls in it.
Could they be magnetized already?

I doubt it... but if the balls are magnetized I don't think it would slow it to that level.

#8052 5 years ago

Does anyone know if you can get the little brass bushing from the rear ramp locks magnet core anyplace? Mines really mangled and while it might not be the issue I’m running out of reasons for my lift ramp not to work. I’m down to that bushing and possibly an incorrect spring.

#8053 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Does anyone know if you can get the little brass bushing from the rear ramp locks magnet core anyplace? Mines really mangled and while it might not be the issue I’m running out of reasons for my lift ramp not to work. I’m down to that bushing and possibly an incorrect spring.

Never mind, found it at Marco.

#8054 5 years ago

Still having issues getting my machine to boot after the tornado, I can get past d19 stuck on if I remove the ribbon cable from dot matrix controller board. Once I got the cpu to boot I plugged the dmc board back in and turned it on and I blew 3 fuses f105,f112,f114 and 3 leds went out +50v,+12vd,+18v.
The one thing thats always consistent is I have no light on the DMC board, when is the D10 led supposed to light up on the board?

#8055 5 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

Still having issues getting my machine to boot after the tornado, I can get past d19 stuck on if I remove the ribbon cable from dot matrix controller board. Once I got the cpu to boot I plugged the dmc board back in and turned it on and I blew 3 fuses f105,f112,f114 and 3 leds went out +50v,+12vd,+18v.
The one thing thats always consistent is I have no light on the DMC board, when is the D10 led supposed to light up on the board?

It's hard to diagnose just from your description but it sounds like perhaps one of the other boards is preventing a boot (possibly cause of a short or blown part on whichever board it is). A good way to track down which one is the culprit is to remove all ribbon cables to the other boards and just isolate the MPU board (apart from the driver board obviously), turn the machine on and see if the MPU boots up. If it does then the MPU board is ok. Turn it back off and then start adding one board back into the system at a time (i'd leave the suspect DMC board til last) It could be a faulty ribbon cable but that wouldn't blow fuses. D10 led stays on once the machine has booted. The MPU leds should be D19- Off, D20- Blinking, D21 -On constant. Fuse F105 is for solenoids #1 -#8, Fuse F112 is for solenoid secondary and fuse F114 is for +18V lamp matrix ... hmmm

#8056 5 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

Still having issues getting my machine to boot after the tornado, ...

Tornados and falling trees will not cause blown fuses, unless you had a lightning strike.

I would check for a mechanical probem within the electronics - a capacitor shaken lose, or a broken solder-point, possibly where a heavy cable is attached. Based on a tornado incident, I would expect blown fuses to only be a second order problem resulting from mechanical damage to the boards. Or simple coincidence and not causality.

#8057 5 years ago

Thanks guys, It seems like we took a surge from the tree pulling the power from the house and the machine had a couple hundred pounds of sheetrock and wood fall all around it. It then had to move across the state to get back to a place I could work on it so its hard to say where exactly the problem took place.

I had originally just had a constant d19 and d21 light but I was able to get past that and have a constant d20 light by removing the ribbon cables. All lights fired on the playfield and the top flasher turned on no problem. No fuses blew until I plugged the DMC board back in. After I plugged the DMC in, the fuses blew and all playfield lights went out.

d10 led has not turned on once during any troubleshooting and I cant get any dmd display at all so I have been convinced it is that board. My machine now skips past d19, it does not light up but still will go to a constant blinking d20 even with the DMC plugged in but still no d10 led. I figure for 95 dollars I could get the rottendog dmc, seems like a cheap way to test it since I dont have another around, but I am going to try booting it up with new fuses first see if they blow again.

#8058 5 years ago

My DMD went black for about 5 minutes tonight while playing, but it eventually came back on.

Is there anything I should investigate? Possible board issue?

#8059 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

As far as wiring goes, here's what I got.
Beacon motor (or Mars Lamp if you go by Williams).

to board

To triac board

To power on driver board

To low voltage signal on driver board.

If its just not spinning maybe the motor is shot. Try manually moving it.

Thank you for this post! I know it’s a few years old but it helped me diagnose my mars light issue and now it WORKS!!

#8060 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

My DMD went black for about 5 minutes tonight while playing, but it eventually came back on.
Is there anything I should investigate? Possible board issue?

Who knows? Could be something as simple as a cable that needs to be reseated to as complex as a component overheating or beginning to fail on a board. I would say monitor the issue and see it if returns. You are dealing with high voltage here, so be very careful what you do while the pin is on as you could fry your Getaway and yourself.

#8061 5 years ago

Just installed an Xpin DMD Controller board today. Got it from ebay quite cheap and would rather use this than to wear out the original. installed like a charm and I see or feel no difference compared to the original. Could not be happier

1 week later
#8062 5 years ago

Wow ~ it’s been over a week, and no postings from any of my Getaway pals. I guess we figured it all out. Hope everyone is enjoying their pins. Personally, I improved so much that my son wouldn’t play with me anymore. I’ve laid off playing for a couple of weeks, so he decided he would play with me a couple of times the last few days. Games were closer, but dad still won! Even so, was a lot of fun playing together.

#8063 5 years ago

Ok... since u asked

8CCD1E39-2A9A-47FD-9979-33A98035498C (resized).jpeg8CCD1E39-2A9A-47FD-9979-33A98035498C (resized).jpeg
95537B24-0F09-45F9-9D05-2C96A669DEC6 (resized).jpeg95537B24-0F09-45F9-9D05-2C96A669DEC6 (resized).jpeg
26D6E14D-0F3F-4093-9B3A-86FFA54E3045 (resized).jpeg26D6E14D-0F3F-4093-9B3A-86FFA54E3045 (resized).jpeg

And starting to come back together...
5524FA18-C7BD-4FCB-8BDF-167C25848DCA (resized).jpeg5524FA18-C7BD-4FCB-8BDF-167C25848DCA (resized).jpeg

#8064 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Wow ~ it’s been over a week, and no postings from any of my Getaway pals. I guess we figured it all out. Hope everyone is enjoying their pins. Personally, I improved so much that my son wouldn’t play with me anymore. I’ve laid off playing for a couple of weeks, so he decided he would play with me a couple of times the last few days. Games were closer, but dad still won! Even so, was a lot of fun playing together.

Well if you play against a 3 year old your bound to win.

#8065 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Ok... since u asked

Oh that looks nice.

#8066 5 years ago

I still haven't gotten my machine to work, probably going to need to find someone in the CT area to help troubleshoot it. Money no issue I am about to buy this other getaway in CT just to swap things until I find whats wrong.

#8067 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

More

A 3 year old girl has the high score on my pin..... I wish I was kidding. I don’t see me beating it anytime soon.

#8068 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

A 3 year old girl has the high score on my pin..... I wish I was kidding. I don’t see me beating it anytime soon.

Has she matched that score since?

#8069 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Has she matched that score since?

No, she actually got tired of playing and walked away.

It had to have been a glitch, right? I’m still not sure how she did it.

#8070 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Ok... since u asked

Gorgeous

#8071 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Definitely kicks my tail on Mario Kart!

#8072 5 years ago

Joined the club!

#8074 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Joined the club!

Welcome!

#8075 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Joined the club!

Welcome, but we need some pics from all newbies.

#8076 5 years ago

Hey all, Yeah, its been quiet in here lately. Ive been either working my ass off or up at my cottage doing some work on it over the weekends. Have barely touched my pins in about a month. Just that time of year.

#8077 5 years ago

Finished playing with my pinduino supercharger sketch. Here is a vid of some attract mode affects.

#8078 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Welcome, but we need some pics from all newbies.

Will do. But some on here put mine to shame! Time to start the upgrades...

#8079 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Will do. But some on here put mine to shame! Time to start the upgrades...

Many of us started with ratted out Getaways. For me, it was great since it was really the source of me learning as much as I do now about pinball, and helping with the enjoyment of the hobby. Really not about comparing who's is better/nicer. Rather, it's about being part of the club.

#8080 5 years ago
Quoted from dropdeadhippie:

Finished playing with my pinduino supercharger sketch. Here is a vid of some attract mode affects.

Very cool!

#8081 5 years ago
Quoted from dropdeadhippie:

Dang that nice.

#8082 5 years ago

Anyone have a lead on a nice clean translite?

Also, any strong opinions on ColorDMD LCD vs LED for this title?

I'm leading towards LED for the 'pop' and because there is limited animations in this that I think would benefit from scaling/smoothing

#8083 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm leading towards LED for the 'pop' and because there is limited animations in this that I think would benefit from scaling/smoothing

You're going to get mixed answers on the DMD.

I like LCD, looks more modern with smooth textures, not as bright and can do dots. If you want to put it in other titles it may be more versatile?

#8084 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Well, we've had this discussion a few times. Quite honestly, what it comes down to plain and simple is personal preference. I like the LED. It better resembles the classic look, view angles are typically better, you can adjust brightness/pop beyond LCD, etc. Others, such as our friend tiltmonster, prefer the LCD for reasons he outlined. I would honestly say that one is not better our outperforms the other, rather, it comes down to the kind of visual experience that appeals to you.

#8085 5 years ago

FWIW... I've had colorDMD in many games, its just I think the LED really works well in some titles better than others. But I think I'm in the minority in that POV I think many look at it as an across the board thing. I think it's a by-title topic.

#8086 5 years ago

I have my LCD running DOTXL in Getaway right now, looks great. I don’t use the HIRES mode tho, so on the rest of my games I have LED and they all loom great too.

#8087 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Many of us started with ratted out Getaways. For me, it was great since it was really the source of me learning as much as I do now about pinball, and helping with the enjoyment of the hobby. Really not about comparing who's is better/nicer. Rather, it's about being part of the club.

Yeah, a fair amount of my some of my pins are nice, a couple just average...then there's my Black hole (aka: the mouse hotel). Geez, 2 years later, I'm still working on it. Never even turned it on yet. In time, I guess. BH's playfield is out getting touched up (can fix everything...expect paint - all thumbs, leaving that to an expert).

HS2's playfield is just sort of OK. Oddly enough, the Diamond Plate seems to be worn around the inserts and is somewhat distracting, but the colors are good with no almost wear. Not sure why, I'll have to investigate that since it's my first Diamond Plate. If it wasn't for that, I'd say the PF is really good. Still trying to determine if I will do something about that or not. I've come to learn they all can't be 'trophy queens', but I do try to 'step them up a notch'. I saw some of the other posts here, and they are simply amazing. I'll post pictures when I have the glass off, and let people chime in. Cabinet so-so, but it's surrounded by other pins - so no biggie.

Of course, fun game. Simple rule set, but good enough to keep me coming back, it's just fun to play. First major mod... I think will be PinSound. L-2 ROM in the mail, running L-1 now.

Glad to be in the club!

#8088 5 years ago

LED on this game for sure.

#8089 5 years ago

HAs anyone had experience with these apron decals?

http://www.treasurecovepinball.com/Library/decals/getaway/getaway.htm

They are the only ones on stock anywhere right now...

#8090 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

HAs anyone had experience with these apron decals?
http://www.treasurecovepinball.com/Library/decals/getaway/getaway.htm
They are the only ones on stock anywhere right now...

Yes... much better than my faded graphics and I have a spare apron that needs some touch ups but the decals look good so I haven't bothered.

Apron Decal (resized).jpgApron Decal (resized).jpg
#8091 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I don't know, the car chase is a pretty big animation and when you crash the flames and explosion, IMO, is better on the LCD (not going to mention the hitchhiker... lol!)

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Quite honestly, what it comes down to plain and simple is personal preference. I like the LED. It better resembles the classic look, view angles are typically better, you can adjust brightness/pop beyond LCD, etc. Others, such as our friend tiltmonster, prefer the LCD for reasons he outlined. I would honestly say that one is not better our outperforms the other, rather, it comes down to the kind of visual experience that appeals to you.

I totally agree, it is a personal preference

To me, I'm not sure any color DMD resemble the classic look unless you go single color dots

There are no issues with viewing angles on LCD

True, the brightness of LED can be much brighter than LCD

I agree one does not out perform the other unless you want smooth animations.

#8092 5 years ago

I kinda view things this way, and maybe I'm off base, but it would seem LCD really is more of a replacement, with a general enhancement ability to allow for different viewing types. I am mostly interested in keeping a close to original experience with the addition of color, which really is all that an LED type display can do. I've thought about it for quite a bit, and I think that's the one I'm going to have to go with for that reason. I guess if I find out I've made a huge mistake I can always sell it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#8093 5 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

I kinda view things this way, and maybe I'm off base, but it would seem LCD really is more of a replacement, with a general enhancement ability to allow for different viewing types. I am mostly interested in keeping a close to original experience with the addition of color, which really is all that an LED type display can do. I've thought about it for quite a bit, and I think that's the one I'm going to have to go with for that reason. I guess if I find out I've made a huge mistake I can always sell it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No mistake to be made, they are both great options.

#8094 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I don't know, the car chase is a pretty big animation and when you crash the flames and explosion, IMO, is better on the LCD (not going to mention the hitchhiker... lol!)

I totally agree, it is a personal preference
To me, I'm not sure any color DMD resemble the classic look unless you go single color dots
There are no issues with viewing angles on LCD
True, the brightness of LED can be much brighter than LCD
I agree one does not out perform the other unless you want smooth animations.

Definitely total owners opinion on this. I bought and LED for the Getaway, hated the way it looked compared to the LCD. Traded my buddy the LED for his LCD that was in AFM. Couldn't have been happier.

I think if the dots were bigger on the LED, it might help the way it looks. But is totally just my opinion.

#8095 5 years ago

Im personally total happy with a monichrome red LED, the PIN2DMD. Its a bit tricky to install and the suplier is a bit slow in delivering, but I jus love the result.

#8096 5 years ago

It would be nice to see a split screen side by side comparison of the LED and LCD options for our Getaway

#8097 5 years ago

They’re really not THAT different. If you want to run smoothing modes like 8 bit or Hi Res, get the LCD. It also will run in a dots mode too, so you don’t really lose anything. Some poeple feel that the LCD has a smoother color transfer, although as the original display was just like what, 6 shades, I’ve never really noticed.

If you want a stock dot look, but in color, go LED. The LED has a boldness than the LCD just doesn’t, some people love it, some say it’s harsh. It is adjustable tho.

The animations aren’t smoother on one or the other, it’s all just how the graphics look.

I usually get LED because to me it feels more in tune with the original display, but in color. However I have my “roaming” LCD display in Getaway now (on Dot XL) and it looks just fine.

Usually if you just can’t decide I say get an LCD because at least then you get all the options.

#8098 5 years ago

I've seen the LCD in person on Getaway, and it just wasn't my thing. I've seen LCD's on other pins in all the various modes, and have really liked some and didn't like some others at all (kind of weird how that works - for me I guess it is a combination of the pin theme, era/age, and overall graphics/animations). I'm running a LED PIN2DMD in mine (not fully colorized yet - so I'm just going red for now), but are there any members that can shoot some ColorDMD Getaway videos in the various LCD modes, and is anyone here currently running a LED ColorDMD in their Getaway?

#8099 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've seen the LCD in person on Getaway, and it just wasn't my thing. I've seen LCD's on other pins in all the various modes, and have really liked some and didn't like some others at all (kind of weird how that works - for me I guess it is a combination of the pin theme, era/age, and overall graphics/animations). I'm running a LED PIN2DMD in mine (not fully colorized yet - so I'm just going red for now), but are there any members that can shoot some ColorDMD Getaway videos in the various LCD modes, and is anyone here currently running a LED ColorDMD in their Getaway?

I've seen the HS2 LED version at the local Pinball Arcade. Much better than stock, but I'd still lean towards the LCD (I installed a LCD on my JD). Just too much space between the dots. Not bad by any means, especially if you want to minick the original look but with a color upgrade. LCD w/smoothing, to me, is just a little easier on the eyes when I glance up briefly during game play. PM me and I'll shoot a quick video next time I go there (usually once a week). I was just there yesterday and snaped some pics, but of the playfield.

#8100 5 years ago

I'm running an LED dmd in mine. I'll post some photos when I get home. Just out getting an oil change on my truck. I really like the brightness of the led bit as others have said, can't go wrong with either.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Trade
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
There are 13,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 162 of 277.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/162?hl=sparksterz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.