• L3 11 votes
    3%
  • L5 120 votes
    34%
  • P7 9 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    2%

(Multiple choice - 348 votes by 346 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4875 (resized).jpeg
get2 (resized).jpg
get3 (resized).jpg
get1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4154 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_la_canyons_15-4-120-14-24-33 (resized).jpg
IMG_4302 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
media-pinball-display-mounting-bracket (resized).jpg
IMG_7017 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7018 (resized).jpeg

There are 13,738 posts in this topic. You are on page 160 of 275.
#7951 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Before and after pinballbulbs LED kit and speaker lights installed.
Everyone said not to do a kit, but for it being my first pin I’m glad I did a kit. I learned a lot about the different types of bulbs, colors, frosted, flasher, etc... I’m very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. I still have light strips and spot lights to install.
(The translite isn’t as washed out as it appears in the pic)

I can see! Great start, but highly recommend MP's suggestion with gauges & drain. There are plenty of posts in this thread that tell you how to do it, but here are a couple of links to my process, along with some other LED mods.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/51#post-3149197

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/77#post-3437950

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/85#post-3476037

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/86#post-3477075

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/105#post-3619665

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/115#post-3694340

#7952 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I think it needs a color dmd now.

PinSound BEFORE color DMD, IMO. The update in sound makes a much larger impact on your game play experience than the color DMD.

#7953 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

PinSound BEFORE color DMD

Gotta disagree with you on this one Mr T, color DMD is a must have

#7954 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Before and after pinballbulbs LED kit and speaker lights installed.
Everyone said not to do a kit, but for it being my first pin I’m glad I did a kit. I learned a lot about the different types of bulbs, colors, frosted, flasher, etc... I’m very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. I still have light strips and spot lights to install.
(The translite isn’t as washed out as it appears in the pic)

That's a good kit and this is what's all about, learning about your machine and what you like... good job!

#7955 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I have the center drain led strip and will install it tomorrow. How did you light up the gauges?
It looks like a completely different pin. I think it needs a color dmd now.

Comet has the Matrix wire connectors to make it easier, I soldered the wire to a light socket but you can use the alligator clips if you don't want to do it that way. I used the star post light but Mustang when he first did the mod used an led strip (pre matrix and star post days).

http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1871.htm

Tach light mod light (resized).jpgTach light mod light (resized).jpg

PF Lower (resized).jpgPF Lower (resized).jpg

#7956 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Gotta disagree with you on this one Mr T, color DMD is a must have

Adding both is the correct answer, but I was recommending my preference for which to add first.

#7957 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Comet has the Matrix wire connectors to make it easier, I soldered the wire to a light socket but you can use the alligator clips if you don't want to do it that way. I used the star post light but Mustang when he first did the mod used an led strip (pre matrix and star post days).
http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1871.htm

BTW, when you light up the gauges, don't forget to also do the sign just above the right gauge (you can see in top right corner of TM's pic). If you don't, you will find yourself staring at it constantly thinking, "How did I miss lighting up that plastic?".

#7958 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I have the center drain led strip and will install it tomorrow. How did you light up the gauges?
It looks like a completely different pin. I think it needs a color dmd now.

Good, that strip does a nice job. Use a Comet round Star Post led under each of the plastics, they work perfect.

#7959 5 years ago

I guess a pinsound board would make sense seeing as I’m putting in a pair of JL audio C2’s that I had laying around.

What type of glue should I use to stick the plastic overlay to the new speaker panel?

50A83538-9418-4381-A37E-D00E4E873837 (resized).jpeg50A83538-9418-4381-A37E-D00E4E873837 (resized).jpeg

#7960 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I guess a pinsound board would make sense seeing as I’m putting in a pair of JL audio C2’s that I had laying around.
What type of glue should I use to stick the plastic overlay to the new speaker panel?

Don't use glue use double sided tape.

#7961 5 years ago

@Pinless
Your going to have to change this to Pin now.

#7962 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I love my ColorDMD, it's my favorite mod but...

I'm not sure you would appreciate those speakers as much with out the PinSound. I do not have one installed and it would be cool to be able to modify the songs and sounds but I'm happy with my machine at this point plus I have my sights (and funds) set on another machine.

#7963 5 years ago

Must must must mod for this one is ledocd, followed by pinsound followed by a colored dmd (Pin2DMD for me)...

#7964 5 years ago

ColorDMD all day. Pinsound is cool for sure, but ColorDMD just really makes it happen.

#7965 5 years ago

Mr_Tantrum to the economical mod rescue, again. Thanks Chris.

136170D5-9832-493D-8CA6-9C39AE229F77 (resized).jpeg136170D5-9832-493D-8CA6-9C39AE229F77 (resized).jpeg

4FD787AF-3655-4303-B660-A1DABDBA88B9 (resized).jpeg4FD787AF-3655-4303-B660-A1DABDBA88B9 (resized).jpeg

F4355083-2603-4080-96F1-B43026625D9D (resized).jpegF4355083-2603-4080-96F1-B43026625D9D (resized).jpeg

E32BB513-B948-4583-8BC7-0B4D0CFA4712 (resized).jpegE32BB513-B948-4583-8BC7-0B4D0CFA4712 (resized).jpeg

#7966 5 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

mr_tantrum to the economical mod rescue, again. Thanks Chris.

lol! Looks nice

#7967 5 years ago

They aren’t “cheap”, they’re “economical”.

#7968 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

ColorDMD all day. Pinsound is cool for sure, but ColorDMD just really makes it happen.

LCD or LED?

#7969 5 years ago

They’re both great, depending on your tastes. I like the LED for the stock fit and the colors pop, but the LCD has smoothing options and some people prefer it’s color shading abilities over the LEDs boldness... I own some of both, but since I don’t go for the smoothing modes that’s kinda lost on me!

#7970 5 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

You applied them well

Seriously, it looks great on your pin. Just happy I can contribute a little to those that have taught me so much over the last few years.

#7971 5 years ago

LED is my choice. I don't have a ColorDMD but I do have a Pin2DMD (whole story another time). Anyway, personally, I don't like the dullness of the LCD and I hate the look that 95% of the people seem to run it in that looks like a blotchy cartoon. The LCD is bright (you can adjust) and gives a great mix of color along with a traditional pinball DMD experience. The color gamut may not be as good as LCD, but it's not like you're watchin HD movies on the thing.

#7972 5 years ago

LCD for me, you can make dots if you want but you can have great smooth animations as well. The LED is too bright and too harsh for my tastes but this this is a subjective choice...

#7973 5 years ago

So after adding Mr. T’s goodies, I noticed one last piece of stainless that doesn’t have anything on it. Maybe T would work his magic one more time and come up with something for this.

88ADEDB9-A906-49F4-8846-3C093B5EA8E4 (resized).jpeg88ADEDB9-A906-49F4-8846-3C093B5EA8E4 (resized).jpeg

3C71E62A-219C-4D15-9D14-491A4DC06B3C (resized).jpeg3C71E62A-219C-4D15-9D14-491A4DC06B3C (resized).jpeg

#7974 5 years ago

Maybe something like this I did a year ago?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/67#post-3407595

I actually have two options of the decal available for download for DIY: http://www.thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball

Also, I highly suggest either making your own or buying from me a plastic replacement piece instead of the metal cover. I create mine out of Lexan and this way the light behind the targets shines up through it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/69#post-3413990

#7975 5 years ago

That was a year ago? I can’t remember what I had for breakfast. I want one

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7976 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Also, I highly suggest either making your own or buying from me a plastic replacement piece instead of the metal cover. I create mine out of Lexan and this way the light behind the targets shines up through it.

How does the plastic there hold up? I made myself one but was afraid that between the target bank beneath and the Supercharger support that it wouldn’t stand a chance so I kept the metal piece under it.

F9EEFCA3-538C-4650-90CB-1A97197C6534 (resized).jpegF9EEFCA3-538C-4650-90CB-1A97197C6534 (resized).jpeg

#7977 5 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

So after adding Mr. T’s goodies, I noticed one last piece of stainless that doesn’t have anything on it. Maybe T would work his magic one more time and come up with something for this

Cliffy did a thinner repro of this metal plate for me. This is needed, if you want to put a proper plastic on to, due to the length of the theadded post holding the SC.

#7978 5 years ago

Can someone please tell me the resistance on the plunger coil? The one labeled A-14789.
I fried mine and might have a suitable substitute, but cannot find the resistance documented anywhere on the web... including on flippers.com
Ideally, if you have ordered one from Marco... I think this information is printed on the paper sleeve from what I can see on their site

Thanks in advance!!!

coil (resized).jpgcoil (resized).jpg

#7979 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

How does the plastic there hold up? I made myself one but was afraid that between the target bank beneath and the Supercharger support that it wouldn’t stand a chance so I kept the metal piece under it.

Absolutely zero issues after a year of installation and heavy home use gameplay. I've made these for several others, so they can chime in as well with their experiences. The plastic is not in direct line of ball contact, and even if a ball somehow bounces on top there is never much force when doing so.

Also, I used .093" clear Lexan, so no need for any extra support as the plastic is as thick as (or maybe even slightly thicker) than the original metal piece.

#7980 5 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

And you can make all these for me as well? Shoot me a PM would ya? Particularly interested in the sticker for the SC. The cartoon stock one leaves a hair to be desired.

#7981 5 years ago

Post Deleted:

See below

#7982 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I made a post about making these when I did that mod, it's easy to make and holds up well.
There was one of these in the plastic kit from CPR when they made there run.

FYI, If I ever gave the impression that this was my original idea, then please forgive me as it was not. Also, there is more than one way to do it. My preference is thicker Lexan with the decal on top with a clear gloss mylar/vinyl overlay. Using the thickness that I do, I cut mine out and shape it using a pneumatic hand grinder using both a cutting disk and a sanding barrel (could also use a Dremel tool). Is it hard? As TM stated, not really if you have the right tools. The key is to print and overlay a sacrificial decal on top of the plastic as you are cutting and shaping it in order to get it just right. Then once you have your shape, clean it up and apply the final decal to it.

#7983 5 years ago

Sorry Mr. T, I think we have a misunderstanding, I didn't mean that to come across that way because we have all made mods or put our own spin on mods we seen so I will delete that post and take another stab at this...

Yes, the plastic holds up well, CPR had a similar plastic in their set.

These are easy to make and I made a detailed DYI a while back in the forum.

Thanks to Mt T for all of excellent work!

#7984 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Sorry Mr. T, I think we have a misunderstanding, I didn't mean that to come across that way because we have all made mods or put our own spin on mods we seen so I will delete that post and take another stab at this...

No, no, no, TM. I didn't take your tone that way at all. You just made me realize in general that I had put a bunch of stuff out there recently, and that I might have left the impression to the new folks that these were all original ideas and the only way to get them was through me. There are tons of great ideas in this thread, most of which are not mine, and many of which I took from to design and offer the things that I make. Also, I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE others to make their own mods leveraging the ideas and instruction from the great members here, and this is why I make all of my graphics available 100% free of charge for those that do want to make their own. This is not a revenue generating venture for me, but I learned early on that several would like to have some of my designs but they just don't have the time/skill/materials/etc. to make them for themselves. I assure you as a grown adult I have many better things to do with my time than making stickers. However, I appreciate everything that members have contributed to my knowledge and experience in this hobby, so I figure that I can help others out with something that I'm pretty good at doing.

#7985 5 years ago

Got to meet SUPERBEE at Allentown, great guy. Also picked up a pinsound at the show, plan on installing it shortly.

#7986 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Got to meet SUPERBEE at Allentown, great guy. Also picked up a pinsound at the show, plan on installing it shortly.

Yeah, SB is great, but what does he have to say about you?

Congratulations on the Pinsound. 2 things: 1) you must rewire speakers for stereo to get best sound, 2) PM me after install is complete and I will help save you hours building out your usb drive with multiple orchestrations.

#7987 5 years ago

Yes, that download was great for me. Thanks for all the support you have for the community!

#7988 5 years ago

Hi All. I would like a price check on parts I want to sell please.
It is the beacon including the beacon dome, metal bracket ( with globe!), mounts, cables, the 2 small cct cards in the top of the back box which are rare...
I have a guy wanting just the dome but don't know whether I should try and sell the parts as a set?
Thankyou

#7989 5 years ago

Moving along with some of the great ideas shared here. Looking pretty sharp if I do say so myself. Some of Mr. T'S goodies oughta be here soon. Just thought I'd share.

20180509_180457 (resized).jpg20180509_180457 (resized).jpg

#7990 5 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi All. I would like a price check on parts I want to sell please.
It is the beacon including the beacon dome, metal bracket ( with globe!), mounts, cables, the 2 small cct cards in the top of the back box which are rare...
I have a guy wanting just the dome but don't know whether I should try and sell the parts as a set?
Thankyou

While the market ultimately sets the price, what I can tell you as a buyer is that I'm usually looking to pay about 50% on these types of used items versus new pricing from reputable sources (e.g. Marcos, Pinball Life, etc.) Now, if it is a rare part that can no longer be purchased new (either original or replica) that is in demand, then the price obviously increases.

Breaking up or sell as a set? Depends upon what you are wanting. If you want to get rid of everything then a set may be your better option, but then again you may not find a buyer if the items are not in demand. If you have extra parts laying around and just want them to go to a good home to help support the community, then sell them individually. I'm not making any value judgement here on your motives, just comes down to what you want to do as the seller.

#7991 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Moving along with some of the great ideas shared here. Looking pretty sharp if I do say so myself. Some of Mr. T'S goodies oughta be here soon. Just thought I'd share.

Looking good, my friend. Loving the blue flipper rubbers (steal that idea from me?) Also, the lit gauges look great (I would still recommend lighting up the "Drive 65" plastic the same way). Also, up to you but myself and others have always thought that the upper left is a dark zone. There are a few ways to light this up that have been shared (strip light under red plastic, flashing light in U-turn, spots located at very back, etc.)

#7992 5 years ago

Ive been swamped at work this week since returning from pinfest. After seeing all the posts here this week im feeling kinda left out. lol

Quoted from Kawydud:

It was great meeting you also my friend. I really enjoyed shooting the breeze with you. Thanks again for letting me try to sell my playfield at your table. It was really nice of you. I sold it today! I met up with Mitch (he has that thread here about hating color leds in GI). Good guy. I had a great time at pinfest. We had a cooler full of beer at the show and i was feeling no pain by about 5pm on Fri.

#7993 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yeah, SB is great, but what does he have to say about you?

^^^^^^^

#7994 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Quoted from tiltmonster:

No, no, no, TM. I didn't take your tone that way at all. You just made me realize in general that I had put a bunch of stuff out there recently, and that I might have left the impression to the new folks that these were all original ideas and the only way to get them was through me. There are tons of great ideas in this thread, most of which are not mine, and many of which I took from to design and offer the things that I make. Also, I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE others to make their own mods leveraging the ideas and instruction from the great members here, and this is why I make all of my graphics available 100% free of charge for those that do want to make their own. This is not a revenue generating venture for me, but I learned early on that several would like to have some of my designs but they just don't have the time/skill/materials/etc. to make them for themselves. I assure you as a grown adult I have many better things to do with my time than making stickers. However, I appreciate everything that members have contributed to my knowledge and experience in this hobby, so I figure that I can help others out with something that I'm pretty good at doing.

I really think that you two need to just get a room....

#7995 5 years ago

Looks awesome !

#7996 5 years ago

And here's after said goodies. Awesome product. Not at all what I was expecting. If you're expecting paperbacked stickers you'd be hard mistaken. These are the finest quality decals I've ever seen. Obviously work was put into finding the right materials. Thanks bud!

20180510_165009 (resized).jpg20180510_165009 (resized).jpg

#7997 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

While the market ultimately sets the price, what I can tell you as a buyer is that I'm usually looking to pay about 50% on these types of used items versus new pricing from reputable sources (e.g. Marcos, Pinball Life, etc.) Now, if it is a rare part that can no longer be purchased new (either original or replica) that is in demand, then the price obviously increases.
Breaking up or sell as a set? Depends upon what you are wanting. If you want to get rid of everything then a set may be your better option, but then again you may not find a buyer if the items are not in demand. If you have extra parts laying around and just want them to go to a good home to help support the community, then sell them individually. I'm not making any value judgement here on your motives, just comes down to what you want to do as the seller.

Nothing so sinister....Just would like to see it go to someone who is doing a machine up and needs all the parts as a set rather sell bits and pieces. Also just a fair deal for me and buyer. I tend to end up selling parts and giving away a lot of things too cheap or for nothing which is wearing a bit thin.

#7998 5 years ago

And here's after said goodies. Awesome product. Not at all what I was expecting. If you're expecting paperbacked stickers you'd be hard mistaken. These are the finest quality decals I've ever seen. Obviously work was put into finding the right materials. Thanks bud!

Look'n good, MD. Thanks for the love . . . just happy to help out my fellow Getaway owners. Although my least favorite thing to make (cutting out 15 little circles drives me crazy), I love the look of the target covers. All the other items look awesome on your pin too.

If any others are thinking about asking, I wanted to remind everyone that I make all of my decal art available for free so you can make your own (just PM me). Alternatively, I'm happy to quote a price on whatever you want, and I assure you I am very fair as this is just a hobby of mine. BTW, for all of my graphics I use only OEM high quality papers and inks (mostly inkjet, but had to do the SC decal on laser due to size) and overlay with high quality clear gloss vinyl/mylar.

#7999 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I really think that you two need to just get a room....

As long as that room is full of pinball machines, I'm in!

#8000 5 years ago

Alright guys, I've got a controversial question here. I'm looking to pick up a Color DMD for my Getaway and I see a lot of you guys have them. I'm personally a fan of the dots and don't suspect I'd use other filters, due to that I'm leaning towards the LED version of the panel over the LCD. My biggest concern however is in ghosting during the video mode of the machine with the LED panel. I know it's not as much of an issue with the LCD, which is why I'm still considering it.

Does anyone with an LED panel regret it, or prefer it? This will be my first Color DMD so I don't have a frame of reference as I've never seen either type in person. I know I'll be picking up an anti-glare mask either way, but still unsure of which panel to pick up...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
There are 13,738 posts in this topic. You are on page 160 of 275.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/160?hl=sparksterz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.