• L3 8 votes
    3%
  • L5 91 votes
    34%
  • P7 7 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 267 votes by 266 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,013 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
Getaway.JPG.pdf (PDF preview)
wires2.jpg
wires1.jpg
getaway005 (resized).jpg
IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2666.JPG
IMG_2665.JPG
IMG_2663.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG
CF4BA3F1-8798-42F5-93ED-C868E24872A8 (resized).jpeg
B2805FCB-7FE1-41B2-88BC-F12FD7E77765 (resized).jpeg
8F41C362-51A9-4EAA-904F-5D215BB0EFD8 (resized).jpeg

There are 9863 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 198.
#701 4 years ago

On the hunt for one, just so that I can join this cool club!

#702 4 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Reseat the ribbon cable between the cpu and driver board. I had to do this on mine.

I did this, and still just the one bulb was lit. Then I played a couple of games, since it was turned on (like how when you draw a katana, you must give it blood before you sheath it again). And then a bulb came on. And a couple more, and then the other bulb came on.

Now, during attract mode, just the one bulb lights, and then during the game all 3 light up. Must be a funky wiring hack somewhere, but the jets are lighting up in-game, so mission accomplished, thanks.

#703 4 years ago

Anyone use leds in the supercharger ramp sign? I'm curious which ones you used. I tried using regular frosted lens leds but they are too wide. Currently I am using bullet lens style leds but not happy with the brightness.

#704 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Anyone use leds in the supercharger ramp sign? I'm curious which ones you used. I tried using regular frosted lens leds but they are too wide. Currently I am using bullet lens style leds but not happy with the brightness.

color matched 2SMD from Comet. Very bright.

#705 4 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

Bam, you're in the club! Good luck finding the parts, I don't have any spares...

Well thanks for the invite then!!... Cant hold the lack of spares against you however, Ive been on the hunt for like ever. Lots of awesome info here though certainly will help on the build.

#706 4 years ago

So I tell myself, "just one game, then I'll go do the stuff I'm supposed to be working on."

That one game was a new record for me, 780 mil.

I can't quit after that. So one more one more game. And this is what happened and now my wrists are sore.

IMG_20150225_204152829.jpg

#707 4 years ago

Sweet score - almost a billion! I try not to play in the afternoon because of that "one more game" thing that never ends.

#708 4 years ago

Hello again Getaway Owners!

I am now the proud owner of a Getaway: HS2!

Just picked it up last night from fellow Pinsider Rob in NYS. Great guy!

#709 4 years ago

Congrats!

#710 4 years ago

I made some progress on my Getaway tachometer mod. I finished the design of the circuit board and sent it out for fabrication. I also ordered over a thousand separate components (enough to make about 5 boards). Some pictures here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-series-designing-and-building-a-new-mod

#711 4 years ago
Quoted from GixerEd1:

Hello again Getaway Owners!
I am now the proud owner of a Getaway: HS2!
Just picked it up last night from fellow Pinsider Rob in NYS. Great guy!

Nice! Any plans for mods?

#712 4 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

I made some progress on my Getaway tachometer mod. I finished the design of the circuit board and sent it out for fabrication. I also ordered over a thousand separate components (enough to make about 5 boards). Some pictures here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-series-designing-and-building-a-new-mod

I click on the link and nothing happens.

#713 4 years ago

I think the forum is having an issue, its doing the same thing for me.

#714 4 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

You can copy/paste or open in new tab.

#715 4 years ago

Kyle5574 - Cool tach mod! I can't wait to see the final product/mod. And like someone else said, a Boost Gauge would be cool too! Thanks for the detailed videos and explanations on the progress, though I'm failry green on such elaborate electronics work.

jawjaw - been looking at the add on mods, mountain and donut shop, but would like to see about an additional topper to go with the beacon, maybe those blue led flashers someone designed and are selling. It has leds already, but I think not everywhere, so thatz something to look into as well.

Much to learn, much to tinker, much to play!

#716 4 years ago

speedometer would be a great mod to go along with the others . . .

#717 4 years ago

Has anyone installed a GI OCD in their Getaway? I'm trying to think if there are instances where it would be nice to have when using LEDs in this machine. I know that DM uses lighting effects a lot and the GI OCD is definitely a nice addition, but I'm not sure about Getaway.

#718 4 years ago

I had a huge game tonight - probably my best. I struggled to get shots on my ST but was killing it on Getaway. Almost made it to redline mania three times. Got this score with no super jackpots but did get several free balls.

DSC_1796.JPG
#719 4 years ago

I always thought it would be cool if the instruments on the speaker panel could be lighted with LEDs. Has that ever been done?

#720 4 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

I always thought it would be cool if the instruments on the speaker panel could be lighted with LEDs. Has that ever been done?

Great idea!

#721 4 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

Yeah me too. I looked at it a couple of times and it would be a major pain to do and if ya messed up you'd be in real trouble.

#722 4 years ago

I am running L2 version and have never, that I can recall, in the 2 years that I have owned the pin have gotten Multiball or Extra ball on the random travel awards on the DMD. Yesterday while playing a few games I got both of them! Multiball went on forever with the ball save. It must have been like 2-3 minutes long. I thought the game was broken or something.

I thought L2 did not have those awards. Anyone have an idea how they just came out of nowhere years later? Also how long does the Multiball ball save last? Mine went on for 2-3 minutes.

Thanks!

#723 4 years ago

^^^ Sounds like the L2 endless multiball bug. That bug has been the only reason I've ever had multiball Freeride last the long.

#724 4 years ago

I had a couple firsts tonight. First time getting all three balls in the Supercharger and first time having a ball soar through the back of the playfield into the cabinet. THUNK! I had a good laugh at that. Maybe I should invest in one of these:
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-HS2-01-10903

#725 4 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

^^^ Sounds like the L2 endless multiball bug. That bug has been the only reason I've ever had multiball Freeride last the long.

Never heard of that before. When the multiball balls saved more than 5 balls I almost stopped my game and did not play it as seriously because I thought something was wrong and I felt like I was cheating because it felt messed up. It has never happened before, so all my high scores are real on it and the "multiball bug" game did not get on the board.

#726 4 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

I had a couple firsts tonight. First time getting all three balls in the Supercharger and first time having a ball soar through the back of the playfield into the cabinet. THUNK! I had a good laugh at that. Maybe I should invest in one of these:
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-HS2-01-10903

Good going! I had 3 balls in the Supercharger before also. My wife was playing another pin next to me and stopped and saw it also and we both thought that was awesome!

#727 4 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

I had to get one of those after the 3rd or 4th thunk. Very annoying when you have a good game going. Definitely get one - cheap, easy to install, and it does the job.

#728 4 years ago

Hey HS 2 owners, I plan to look at one today that's for sale and was wondering what you would look for if you were going to purchase again? I plan on taking the glass off and running through the test menu, look for board hacks, etc. Are there any other functional tests you would try? Any problem areas to look for specifically that would affect the price? Finally, what is the going price range? Thanks in advance for your help.

#729 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Hey HS 2 owners, I plan to look at one today that's for sale and was wondering what you would look for if you were going to purchase again? I plan on taking the glass off and running through the test menu, look for board hacks, etc. Are there any other functional tests you would try? Any problem areas to look for specifically that would affect the price? Finally, what is the going price range? Thanks in advance for your help.

The only getaway specific problems I can think of are;
Make sure the supercharger works at the right speed and the ball diverter attached to it works as intended.
Make sure the Mars lamp turns on and rotates. This motor breaks a lot. $40 for a new one.

#730 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Yes definitely check the supercharger and diverter for correct operation. There is a supercharger time or test mode in the menu. It's hard to find these without a lot if cabinet fade too. I'd say $2k for a decent one, over $2.5K for a nice unfaded fully functional machine.

#731 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Make sure the supercharger works at the right speed and the ball diverter attached to it works as intended.
Make sure the Mars lamp turns on and rotates. This motor breaks a lot. $40 for a new one.

What's the Mars lamp? I don't think I have any rotating lamps on my Getaway.

#732 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

What's the Mars lamp? I don't think I have any rotating lamps on my Getaway.

The red lamp dome that has the rotating lens around the 1196 bulb on the top.

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg IMG_0031.jpg IMG_0030.jpg IMG_0029.jpg
#733 4 years ago

Edit: dmacy beat me to it

#734 4 years ago

Sorry!

#735 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

How would you test the supercharger? Run in test mode and hand feed balls or ??

#736 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

How would you test the supercharger? Run in test mode and hand feed balls or ??

Yes, there's a supercharger test mode. Have the balls ready to go in to test. If I recall 90's are a good number but I haven't tried to use the test mode for a few years. Someone should be able to give you a good number that you should see.

#737 4 years ago

As long as the supercharger and diverter works most of the time, I think it's fine. Some seem to be faster than others. I noticed mine was a whole lot faster after waxing and new balls but has slowed back down to normal. My diverter sometimes fails to move fast enough and I get a credit dot for diverter error. Games plays fine most of the time so I accept it.

I have a new beacon light motor but it still fails to spin a lot. A slap on the side of the cabinet gets it going. I could probably fix it by cleaning up the internal parts and adding new lube but in no hurry to do so.

Other than those things, just play a few games and make sure everything is working - like the up down ramp in the back. When locks are lit, the ramp is down but has to raise when balls are launched or hit into the right orbit. Mine does not always lift but that is because the balls bounce over or around the switches.

#738 4 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

The red lamp dome that has the rotating lens around the 1196 bulb on the top.
IMG_0625.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

IMG_0032.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0031.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0030.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0029.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Ah, yes, thanks. I forgot about that. I don't have that topper, I have a different one with red and blue flashing lights.

#739 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

the up down ramp in the back.

+1. That's been problematic for mine. Go into test mode and make it go up and down a few times, make sure it reliably pops up high enough to clear the ball and goes down flat. In fact, I'd go through all the test modes - lamps, switches, solenoids, etc. (remember to close the coin door for the flashers and solenoids).

#740 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

the up down ramp in the back

+2! I had to replace the microswitch on my ramp. Even if the ramp moves up and down during the test, make sure the game knows the position of the ramp.

If the supercharger is slow, but everything physically looks ok and all three magnets are working, you might try new balls. It slows down as balls get magnetized.

#741 4 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

+2! I had to replace the microswitch on my ramp. Even if the ramp moves up and down during the test, make sure the game knows the position of the ramp.
If the supercharger is slow, but everything physically looks ok and all three magnets are working, you might try new balls. It slows down as balls get magnetized.

The ramp is a bit of a complicated piece for sure. On mine I kept getting credit dots AND during the game the ramp would jump periodically. I had to buy a switch from Marco and manually make the bends in the blade. Now it works perfectly.

#742 4 years ago

While it may now be too late for Jglrtr56's game inspection, I'd like to add one more item to this list of Common issues with a HS2, and that is the function of the post that locks the balls prior to multiball. My machine originally let more than one ball release at a time, even after cleaning the entire assembly and installing a new coil sleeve and new (correct) spring. I ended up having to add one or two more springs before the post operated correctly.

#743 4 years ago

So is the game suppose to release one ball at a time in mb? Mine never has.

#744 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

So is the game suppose to release one ball at a time in mb? Mine never has.

Yes. It releases them separately, I guess to give you a better chance to hit the charge for loops.

#745 4 years ago

Yep. Double the springs and you might get single-ball release. Put the springs in parallel (nested inside each other), not in series (one on top of the other).

#746 4 years ago

I remember reading something about "multi-ball release" and the "train" effect/issue when more than one ball or all the balls release at the same time. Therez some kind of sensor or timer thatz supposed to release them one at a time and to release the next ball when the previous ball has reached near the flippers. Don't remember the fix, but do a search for those terms I put inside the quotes. Sorry I couldn't be more specific or have the link/post it was discussed in.

#747 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I had to get one of those after the 3rd or 4th thunk. Very annoying when you have a good game going. Definitely get one - cheap, easy to install, and it does the job.

Where does this install? Right above diverter? And does it fix the problem? Pics? Thanks.

#748 4 years ago

Thanks everyone. Made the purchase. Everything works even the Mars lamp. Needs a good shop job, star posts, etc. Anybody put the play field Mylar from Marco on?

image.jpg

#749 4 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Where does this install? Right above diverter? And does it fix the problem? Pics? Thanks.

It's a simple metal flap and mounts to the top back of the cabinet. It uses existing screws so super easy to install. It just stops balls from flying over the supercharger and over the back of the play field. This happens when a slow ball enters the supercharger and then is hit by a fast ball already in the supercharger.

image.jpg
#750 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

It's a simple metal flap and mounts to the top back of the cabinet. It uses existing screws so super easy to install. It just stops balls from flying over the supercharger and over the back of the play field. This happens when a slow ball enters the supercharger and then is hit by a fast ball already in the supercharger.

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Yeah I need one of these it just happened to me I got three balls in the super charger and one shot off into the back of the cabinet. I am sure I could make one of these, anyone know the demisions of that metal piece?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball
$ 17.99
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
There are 9863 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 198.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside