While we're on the subject of toppers, Last month I decided to add some blue up there because to me that red light looks more like an ambulance than a cop car, and it's been bugging me for a while. So here's what I did:
1. Tapped into the beacon motor & light AC power source (which is something like 16-17VAC??) and fed it through a 12VDC converter from EBay. Redid the molex connector (the last one in the circtuit before the motor & lamp) so that it still fed the lamp and motor but also branched off into the 12VDC converter, and mounted the converter to the upper right side of the head.
2. Bought a couple of 12" long Knight Rider blue 12VDC lights off ebay which have a canned chase/strobe/blink routine built in.
3. Added comet matrix plugs to the LED strips.
4. Notched a small hole in the perforated head panel for the LED wire leads to run into the cabinet.
5. Stuck the LEDs to the back of the head with the double stick tape,one on each side of the beacon. I liked them in the back because the blue point lighting is more diffused and not blasting right into your eyes.
6. Plugged it all together
And viola. For about $20 and a couple hours I solved it. It is really easy to un-do and everything is up in the head so no issues with running long wire runs all over. Here are the component links and a quick video of the finished product. It looks kickasssss...at least to me anyways.
ebay.com link » Smakn Ac Dc To Dc Converter Ac 16 28v Dc 16 40v Step Down To 12v 5a Power Supply
ebay.com link » 1 X Dc 12v 30cm 3528 32led Knight Rider Flash Strobe Scanner Neon Strip Light B