• L3 8 votes
    3%
  • L5 91 votes
    34%
  • P7 7 votes
    3%
  • C-C 7 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 267 votes by 266 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,013 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
Getaway.JPG.pdf (PDF preview)
wires2.jpg
wires1.jpg
getaway005 (resized).jpg
IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2666.JPG
IMG_2665.JPG
IMG_2663.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG
CF4BA3F1-8798-42F5-93ED-C868E24872A8 (resized).jpeg
B2805FCB-7FE1-41B2-88BC-F12FD7E77765 (resized).jpeg
8F41C362-51A9-4EAA-904F-5D215BB0EFD8 (resized).jpeg

There are 9863 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 198.
#651 4 years ago

As far as wiring goes, here's what I got.

Beacon motor (or Mars Lamp if you go by Williams).

IMG_0131.JPG

to board

IMG_0130.JPG

To triac board

IMG_0129.JPG

To power on driver board

IMG_0128.JPG

To low voltage signal on driver board.

IMG_0127.JPG

If its just not spinning maybe the motor is shot. Try manually moving it.

#652 4 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

Manual says the beacon is 12 volts. I bench tested with 12 volts and got light but nothing out of the motor. I assume that's correct.

It's a 12VAC motor. I'm not sure it works with DC. Have you tried AC?

#653 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

There was a thread here detailing taking it apart, cleaning, and relubing to get it working again.

Here's my tutorial on cleaning up and greasing the beacon motor: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repairing-beacon-motor-for-hs2-and-possibly-others

#654 4 years ago

Wow. Thanks for all the info! No, i didn't realize it was AC! Doh. I'll look at it tonight.

#655 4 years ago

Hi guys.

I am currently in the middle of repairing my HS2. Does anyone have any experience with lowering raised inserts on the tachometer and the loops? There are a couple of methods and guides around but I wanted to know if anything worked particularly well for the Getaway.

Also, does anyone know the part number for the screws used to secure the pop bumper bodies to the playfield? They definitely look like the wrong type on mine!

Thanks in advance

#656 4 years ago

Not specific to getaway but I used the hair dryer method on my white water.
It was the first time I had tried lowering an insert and i was nervous but it was easy

#657 4 years ago

Im getting 16v ac to the motor in test mode. Not sure if that is in acceptable range or not but would think it would spin the motor.

#658 4 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

Im getting 16v ac to the motor in test mode. Not sure if that is in acceptable range or not but would think it would spin the motor.

Just have to take it apart.

#659 4 years ago

Pretty sure manual is wrong about motor but someone should be able to chime in. The bulb is 12VDC for sure. It uses a #906 auto reverse light bulb.

#660 4 years ago

Finally got my Getaway 100% working. Burnt connector was fixed a little while ago and now the supercharger is fixed. Did another factory reset so hopefully the scoring glitch will be fixed. Played a pretty good game and got a legit 720m.

Glad you got your Getaway all fixed up! But really after your fix, 720 million? I've owned Getaway for over 5 years and have barely cracked 300 million on 3 ball. Sure your scoring on Getaway is working correctly? Seems over the top!! ...

#661 4 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Pretty sure manual is wrong about motor but someone should be able to chime in. The bulb is 12VDC for sure. It uses a #906 auto reverse light bulb.

See here about voltages; says manual shows 48 VAC but should be 20VAC so the 16 should be ok. More here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-getaway-beacon-and-light-not-working

#662 4 years ago

That's good info dmacy. Wish people would follow up with resolutions if they find them though. Looks like power to the motor is correct and my light does work. I opened the gear box and it appears ok. I can spin the motor by hand and watch the gears spin. I'm still thinking the motor is bad.

#663 4 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

Glad you got your Getaway all fixed up! But really after your fix, 720 million? I've owned Getaway for over 5 years and have barely cracked 300 million on 3 ball. Sure your scoring on Getaway is working correctly? Seems over the top!! ...

The best way to get points is hitting the supercharger over and over in supercharger mode. My best is 225m. Once in a while, I have a long game and get to redline mania a few times. Most of the time, I don't do so well and 300m is still a good game for me. Had a game last night where as soon as redline mania was lit, I drained the last ball.

#664 4 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

That's good info dmacy. Wish people would follow up with resolutions if they find them though.

Agree completely. Good luck on the motor. They're not terribly expensive.

#665 4 years ago

I've been working on my Getaway for the last month, and I'm down to the last friggin' switch! Come on Marco order, get here so I can put a bow on this and call it done! It's the switch for the up/down ramp.

CPR plastics came today, so I replaced the 2 plastics I need, and it look great! Some day I may decide to decal this thing, but not right now.

Pics to follow soon

#666 4 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

I've been working on my Getaway for the last month, and I'm down to the last friggin' switch! Come on Marco order, get here so I can put a bow on this and call it done! It's the switch for the up/down ramp.
CPR plastics came today, so I replaced the 2 plastics I need, and it look great! Some day I may decide to decal this thing, but not right now.
Pics to follow soon

Yes pictures please.

#667 4 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

Finally got my Getaway 100% working. Burnt connector was fixed a little while ago and now the supercharger is fixed. Did another factory reset so hopefully the scoring glitch will be fixed. Played a pretty good game and got a legit 720m.

I've hit 770 plus million. I think supercharger behaves differently in different software revisions. In l-1, you get 3 or 4 loops before it kicks out. I think in later revision (s), just one loop.

1 week later
#668 4 years ago

Got my Diverter Error sorted and turned out (luckily) to be one of those easy fixes. The set screws had come loose on the shaft. PHHHEEEWWWWW
When a machine comes up with an error at "turn on" it's sometimes easy to forget that it's not always an electrical fault as such, but born from the fact that a particular switch hasn't operated for a game or so. Lesson learnt >>>>moving on

1 week later
#669 4 years ago

Recently took apart the playfield for a cleaning and waxing. I have never done that before so it was a good learning experience. Fixed a few things along the way as well. I was surprised to find that some of my star posts were absolutely destroyed. With everything back together and cleaned up, it sure looks good. With the wax and new balls, it plays so fast that it's almost impossible to keep up with the ball. This game is meant to be played fast but the supercharger diverter has a hard time keeping up. It seems to open and close quickly but sometimes not fast enough. Is this a normal? I would expect there to be limits on how fast the diverter can react.

#670 4 years ago

Maybe you need to add an extra spring to the diverter to help speed things up a bit.

#671 4 years ago

I just had the craziest game. Got through redline mania twice, and almost got through 4th gear a third time (damn, because the supercharger is my favorite mode). Scored the super jackpot for the first time ever - was a bit disappointed it's only 50 mil, thought it would be more like 100. Didn't score much with either supercharger mode, but didn't immediately drain on them either which seems to happen a lot :p. 383 million over all. Not even half my record score, but pretty damn respectable. Now I have too much adrenaline in me to go to bed.

#672 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I just had the craziest game. Got through redline mania twice, and almost got through 4th gear a third time (damn, because the supercharger is my favorite mode). Scored the super jackpot for the first time ever - was a bit disappointed it's only 50 mil, thought it would be more like 100. Didn't score much with either supercharger mode, but didn't immediately drain on them either which seems to happen a lot :p. 383 million over all. Not even half my record score, but pretty damn respectable. Now I have too much adrenaline in me to go to bed.

jog to 7-11 fer some pints . . .

#673 4 years ago
Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

jog to 7-11 fer some pints . . .

I'm not jogging anywhere. We've had 150 cm of snow in the past week. Also, I'm lazy.

#674 4 years ago

No pints for you ! - They would probably freeze before you get back to your pins anyway . . .

I've seen pics, holy crap !

#675 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I posted a while back with the same thing. I was so excited getting a super jackpot in redline mania but disappointed it was only 50m. Somehow the game is confused or something makes it go into regular multiball mode. Maybe you can't drain a ball to get the 100m but it's probably buggy code. It must has something to do with all locks and jackpots go through the same path and switches. Maybe it is something like you have two locks before redline and the first jackpot counts as a lock to put the game in regular multiballs but that is a guess. I have even seen the multiballs animations start up and drained balls kicked back out in the middle of redline mania but I think that just happened once. I also notice the game gets buggy about locks and multiballs after redline mania. I don't mind because the game is still fun.

#676 4 years ago

I might be the last person to figure this out, but here's a tip to score higher in video mode.

You can actually shift gears up before the video mode play has started. Before the race starts, when they throw the Video Mode title screen up on the display, the gear indicator on the field will indicate the starting gear for the race. You can upshift to 5th gear at this time, and start video mode in 5th gear.

#677 4 years ago

Here's a question on video mode... I absolutely swear that I saw "EB" floating on the track, I think "extra bonus", when I first got the game. But I never see it now. Am I crazy? If I'm not crazy, how do I trigger the EB to show up on the track?

#678 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Here's a question on video mode... I absolutely swear that I saw "EB" floating on the track, I think "extra bonus", when I first got the game. But I never see it now. Am I crazy? If I'm not crazy, how do I trigger the EB to show up on the track?

I remember reading in a post somewhere here on Pinside that if you reset your game that the EB will reappear in the video mode. I haven't seen them in a long time on my HSII either . . .

#679 4 years ago

It's extra ball and I rarely see it. I remember seeing it more after factory reset. Maybe it has to do with average game score. The easiest way to beat video mode is to hold middle lane on left or right so you only have to move a little over and.back to avoid cars in one lane. If the EB shows it's on the other side and you have no time to get it if in top gear. It's the only thing I have not done in the game. I'm curious what animation you get for it.

#680 4 years ago

I just reset my HSII (forgot to power on during a battery change) and I saw the EB on the track for the very first time. I haven't see it since. I also got a MB during the burn rubber that again I never got that before or since. My score on that first game was 30% better than my highest score since owning the game for a year. I thought I must have changed some setting I didn't know about.

#681 4 years ago

I found this through COG ( College of Google ) . . .

The best and most common strategy is to straddle the line between the
leftmost pair of lanes. You can steer by holding the flipper buttons in
(pressing more than one will give precedence to the most recently pressed
button); there is no need to tap them repeatedly. If the machine is set up
for it or has been giving out very few Extra Balls recently, there will often
be an Extra Ball target in the far lane, instead of one of the Bugs. It's
more or less impossible to see this target and head for it; if you expect it
will come up, you may wish to anticipate its appearance (usually about 1/3 to
1/2 of the way through the Video Mode). Just drive through it to collect it.

#682 4 years ago

Isn't this adjustable in settings somewhere?

#683 4 years ago

Any getaway project/player machines for sale in the Midwest?

I'd like to join the club

#684 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

It's extra ball and I rarely see it. I remember seeing it more after factory reset. Maybe it has to do with average game score. The easiest way to beat video mode is to hold middle lane on left or right so you only have to move a little over and.back to avoid cars in one lane. If the EB shows it's on the other side and you have no time to get it if in top gear. It's the only thing I have not done in the game. I'm curious what animation you get for it.

It's the auto-percentaging so once you start collecting extra balls you won't get the video mode EB unless you do a factory reset. At least with game ROM L-5.

#685 4 years ago

I'm on L-1, and it seems to be the same.

#686 4 years ago

My dirverter never quite opened fully since I got the game. Finally sorted it earlier and shaved about 5 points (what unit is it??) off the supercharger test.
Getting around 92/93
Bit of a rabbit hole to get the supercharger out.

#687 4 years ago

I had a problem last night when I couldn't get to redline mania. Only one more rpm shot was needed to light redline mania. Getting any rpm shot did nothing. All the rpm lights were lit and on redline in the center insert lights. Shooting the ball up the supercharger didn't do anything either. It was my third ball and I eventually drained to end the game. Anyone else ever see something like that?

I had another weird thing in that game. After a good supercharger mode of over 200m, the game reported only 19m won in the end which isn't even possible. It looked like the right number of points were added to the score, though.

#688 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I had a problem last night when I couldn't get to redline mania. Only one more rpm shot was needed to light redline mania. Getting any rpm shot did nothing. All the rpm lights were lit and on redline in the center insert lights. Shooting the ball up the supercharger didn't do anything either. It was my third ball and I eventually drained to end the game. Anyone else ever see something like that?
I had another weird thing in that game. After a good supercharger mode of over 200m, the game reported only 19m won in the end which isn't even possible. It looked like the right number of points were added to the score, though.

Don't know about the redline mania, but the supercharger total is almost always out to lunch. But the actual score is always OK.

1 week later
#689 4 years ago

I've decided that Secret Mania is not actually worth it. I'd rather be scoring freeway bonuses (at far more than 500,000 points per), and advancing the lights and locks than scoring 10-15 mil max for the entire countdown. It seems like secret mania is more of a time waster than anything. Thoughts?

#690 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I've decided that Secret Mania is not actually worth it. I'd rather be scoring freeway bonuses (at far more than 500,000 points per), and advancing the lights and locks than scoring 10-15 mil max for the entire countdown. It seems like secret mania is more of a time waster than anything. Thoughts?

i typically avoid getting secret mania, it's kind of neat with the lightshow, but I almost always drain really fast for some reason.

#691 4 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

My dirverter never quite opened fully since I got the game. Finally sorted it earlier and shaved about 5 points (what unit is it??) off the supercharger test.
Getting around 92/93
Bit of a rabbit hole to get the supercharger out.

I used to think the units were milliseconds (thousands of a second). But that would mean you'd be doing around 11 loops/sec, which seems impossibly fast. So the units may just be an arbitrary count decided by the software, perhaps set so that the "target" value in production was 100 (the manual says 145 or higher indicates a problem).

Actually I bet the measurement is the time in ms between when the first opto in the supercharger sees the ball and when the third opto sees it (roughly how long the ball is in the supercharger). It has to be using the optos to measure the speed, and those numbers make sense - 83ms in the supercharger would lead to something around 5-10x longer for loop time (415ms to 830ms), which seems to be in the ballpark...

Post edited by yonkiman: added new theory

#692 4 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Isn't this adjustable in settings somewhere?

Yes, adjustment A.2.03 is Extra Ball Percent, with range from off to 35%. I would guess that cranking it up to 35% might increase the odds of seeing it in video mode, but add me to the list of people that can't recall seeing it lately. Although since I use the video mode strategy of straddling between lanes 1 and 2 and slightly nudging left and right to pass the cars, I might be oblivious to seeing EB in lane 3 - I'm too focused on 1 and 2. (Or missing out on lane 1 when straddling 2 and 3.)

EB in video mode might also be ROM-dependent. I'm playing with L-2.

Here's the text from the manual:
A.2 03 Extra Ball Percent
The operator chooses the percent of games that award an Extra Ball. The range of
this setting is Off, 1% through 35%. Note: If set to Off, the Random feature (Burn
Rubber) and the Video Mode awards zero Extra Balls, but the Skilled Extra Ball is
available.

Post edited by yonkiman: added text from user manual

#693 4 years ago

I have a HS2 in the back somewhere, And could use a backbox wiring harness and (or) the resistor board to the beacon motor... Other than that how do I join your club gang?

#694 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I've hit 770 plus million. I think supercharger behaves differently in different software revisions. In l-1, you get 3 or 4 loops before it kicks out. I think in later revision (s), just one loop.

An update, I've found that it the number of loops in supercharger mode decreased, and then went to none (still using L-1). I think there might be statistics controlling this, much like the extra ball. Once I started scoring higher on average, it took away this crutch that helped boost scores.

#695 4 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

i typically avoid getting secret mania, it's kind of neat with the lightshow, but I almost always drain really fast for some reason.

With LEDs, the light show is awesome. The mode must engage some hidden magnets because a drain seems to be guaranteed. It would of been cool if there was a jackpot shot or some goal in the mode like to get an extra ball. I don't know why you would go through the trouble coding for it when it is so pointless score-wise.

#696 4 years ago

I just put led into my getaway, and what I assume was just burned out bulbs in the jets is something different, the top 2 jets still don't light up. Wires don't look broken, what else might this be? Not really sure how to troubleshoot lights that are out.

IMG_20150222_210428577.jpg
#697 4 years ago

Reseat the ribbon cable between the cpu and driver board. I had to do this on mine.

#698 4 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I just put led into my getaway, and what I assume was just burned out bulbs in the jets is something different, the top 2 jets still don't light up. Wires don't look broken, what else might this be? Not really sure how to troubleshoot lights that are out.

IMG_20150222_210428577.jpg 248 KB

It could be that the contacts in the sockets are corroded too.

#699 4 years ago

Try adjusting the wires on the leds or flip them around. I had some that took some adjusting/fiddling to light. Also try a regular bulb or other leds to make sure the socket is working.

#700 4 years ago
Quoted from clone97:

I have a HS2 in the back somewhere, And could use a backbox wiring harness and (or) the resistor board to the beacon motor... Other than that how do I join your club gang?

Bam, you're in the club! Good luck finding the parts, I don't have any spares...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
There are 9863 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 198.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside