Quoted from Collin:
I've got some thoughts; couple questions for you, though. Can you tell if the sound is really loud from either the backbox speakers or low cab speaker? Or is it loud in all speakers?
When it gets really loud, is the sound heavily distorted?
IF it's not affecting all speakers, and there's heavy distortion, I'd suggest replacing the corresponding amplifier on your sound board. I don't have the schematic in front of me, but they're the parts that look like transistors with 5 legs. You'll also need heat sink compound to go between the amp and its heatsink. Probably $5 worth of parts and a 5 minute job, if I've diagnosed it correctly.
Oh, also make sure your ribbon cables are good and seated properly; I could imagine a bad connection between the MPU and sound board causing this issue, though I've never experienced that personally.
So I think I know what's going on. My pins are downstairs and I live in the Northwest. It gets pretty cold down there. Not Michigan or Wisconsin cold, but definitely colder than the rest of the house. Thermostat is upstairs which is set to around 66 degrees. Now my pins share the same space as my home theater, which I use frequently. While I am down there, I use a small space heater that is connected by extension cord to the back of the room since all my amps and subs are connected to the front of the room(on a different circuit). Usually, when I fire up the pins, I will have been down there in between movies. And the space heater is on. Which draws power from the same power strip as my pins. In my testing, I have been unable to replicate the issue while that space heater isn't on. My theory is that when the space heater is on, it is drawing power from the same source as my pins are, which is causing low voltage to the sound board which is causing my sound problems.
One thing I forgot to mention is that sometimes the tunnel eject coil has a hard time ejecting the ball. Almost like it doesn't have enough power. Only when this space heater is on. I have played over 2 dozen games now, with the space heater off, and cannot replicate the issue. My gut tells me that if I turned the heater on, I could replicate it immediately.
So my thinking is that the space heater is starving the entire back part of the room of power, including the pins. Interesting that it doesn't seem to affect my TSPP at all while playing.
So my question is this. If this pin is not receiving the correct amount of power to the boards, will the symptoms I describe come to fruition? Much thanks!