Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th.jpeg
41xF5XdLEYL.jpg
collinite wax.jpg
Waxy.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Looking for alternative waxes. Has anyone used this product: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/RJS5/1235.oap?ck=Search_mystic_-1_-1&keyword=mystic
I know Lloyd uses the Mystic brand spray and shine on his WOZ. Is there a problem using synthetic products versus true carnauba. Open to all suggestions, go.

#2 8 years ago

http://www.amazon.com/One-Grand-Blitz-Carnauba-Wax/dp/B0009KMH20/ref=sr_1_1

Great stuff. I have used this and Mothers. This is way better and easier to apply. Smells better too.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

amazon.com link »
Great stuff. I have used this and Mothers. This is way better and easier to apply. Smells better too.

You have used the Mystic then? I currently have the Blitz wax.

#4 8 years ago

Real waxes don't come in a spray. They are just polymers, and not good long term for a wooden playfied.

Stick to Carnauba in a can.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

You have used the Mystic then? I currently have the Blitz wax.

No sorry never used it. Don't see how it can get any better than blitz.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Real waxes don't come in a spray. They are just polymers, and not good long term for a wooden playfied.

I use this
Waxy.jpgWaxy.jpg

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I use this
Waxy.jpg

Yup! Mother's Brazilian Carnauba is great too.

#8 8 years ago

Yup! Mother's Brazilian Carnauba is great too.

Brazilian waxes are indeed the BEST!

#9 8 years ago

yep got the mothers carnauba, but id say Blitz is just as good... either one, cant go wrong.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I use this
Waxy.jpg

I love that Meguiar's freshly waxed smell.

#11 8 years ago

I was on the same boat. Nothing but meguiars pure Brazilian carnauba.

Then I found this.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G12718-NXT-Generation-Tech/dp/B0002UQATS

Started using it last month before a big tournament. Have 30 games set up with 30-40 playing on these for hours competitively every week. Stuff is amazing. Goes on super quick. Cleans rubbers effortlessly and quick. Great shine and smoothness. Never going back. Saves me a ton of time and is way less messy than the hard carnuba. It's still pure carnuba but so much better. That blitz stuff I've seen hell and ball up weirdly. Not a huge fan.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Then I found this.
amazon.com link »
Started using it last month before a big tournament. Have 30 games set up with 30-40 playing on these for hours competitively every week. Stuff is amazing. Goes on super quick. Cleans rubbers effortlessly and quick. Great shine and smoothness. Never going back. Saves me a ton of time and is way less messy than the hard carnuba. It's still pure carnuba but so much better. That blitz stuff I've seen hell and ball up weirdly. Not a huge fan.

Interesting. Do you need to wait after applying before buffing? That would be the only thing that could be improved over carnauba wax is the time you have to wait before buffing it out.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Looking for alternative waxes. Has anyone used this product: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/RJS5/1235.oap?ck=Search_mystic_-1_-1&keyword=mystic
I know Lloyd uses the Mystic brand spray and shine on his WOZ. Is there a problem using synthetic products versus true carnauba. Open to all suggestions, go.

There's no problem with using synthetic polymer waxes on a clear coated PF.

That said, I wouldn't bother with any spray wax. Use something from a bottle or jar.

That blitz stuff I've seen hell and ball up weirdly. Not a huge fan.

Yep, Blitz sucks.

#14 8 years ago

Then I found this.
amazon.com link »

Just ordered. Thanks!

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I use this
Waxy.jpg

That's what I used but was hard to apply and got everywhere. Curious if synthetics are just as good or better.

#16 8 years ago

"Just" polymers??

Polymers last longer than carnauba, generally speaking. It's the main advantage they have over carnauba.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

There's no problem with using synthetic polymer waxes on a clear coated PF.

I agree!

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

That's what I used but was hard to apply and got everywhere. Curious if synthetics are just as good or better.

This is what I am trying to figure out.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

"Just" polymers??
Polymers last longer than carnauba, generally speaking. It's the main advantage they have over carnauba.

Vid has explained in detail on other threads why spray based polymers are no good for a playfield. I yield to his expertise.

#20 8 years ago

Vid has explained in detail on other threads why spray based polymers are no good for a playfield. I yield to his expertise.

Uh...ok?

There is no reason polymers can't be used on a clear coated playfield. Period.

#21 8 years ago

+1 for the NXT tech wax!

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Uh...ok?
There is no reason polymers can't be used on a clear coated playfield. Period.

Period, huh?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-wax/page/2

First post on that page. Vid's reputation for repair and maintenance are well respected on Pinside.

#23 8 years ago

Period, huh?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-wax/page/2
First post on that page. Vid's reputation for repair and maintenance are well respected on Pinside.

Believe what you want.

Polymers will in no way be harmful to a clear coated playfield.

#24 8 years ago

I don't think they're harmful, I think Vid is just saying they aren't going to protect the playfield like a hard paste wax does. I don't know anything myself though, I just find posts by guys like Vid, Chris Hibler, or Clay and assume they're correct because I am an ant among the pinball gods.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Interesting. Do you need to wait after applying before buffing? That would be the only thing that could be improved over carnauba wax is the time you have to wait before buffing it out.

Still have to wait but it goes on so much quicker. I didn't think it would but just plop a big squirt in the middle of the playfield. Spread it all over. Rub down the rubbers and done until buffing. Hardly gets in all the posts and everything like I use to with hard carnuba.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I don't think they're harmful, I think Vid is just saying they aren't going to protect the playfield like a hard paste wax does.

Exactly. Generally speaking most people are of the opinion that Carnauba wax will provide a better barrier of protection against the elements (or in this case a steel ball rolling over it) than polymers do, and I agree with this.

On my pins, I almost always use a polymer/carnauba blend, to get the best of both worlds.

#27 8 years ago

Let's all settle down and be friends in whatever wax we choose then.

Do we still all hate MillWax though?

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yep, Blitz sucks.

Blitz leaves visible wax particles everywhere. It also provides a great layer of wax that makes that "just-waxed" slickness of gameplay last longer than with other brands, IMO. It works great on older playfields with slight wear. It is much easier to apply(using a foam applicator) than meguirs as well.

It's honestly the perfect wax for me. I never did use a toothbrush on my star posts, and to me, fresh white wax particles in the crevices are a sign of a freshly waxed, and good playing game.

To each, their own. There are plenty of reasons to use blitz, just like any other wax.

#29 8 years ago

Man I wish we could just laser the playfields and not have to worry aboot the wax

#30 8 years ago

Has any one tried Collinite paste wax? I have had good results with it.

collinite wax.jpgcollinite wax.jpg
#31 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly. Generally speaking most people are of the opinion that Carnauba wax will provide a better barrier of protection against the elements (or in this case a steel ball rolling over it) than polymers do, and I agree with this.
On my pins, I almost always use a polymer/carnauba blend, to get the best of both worlds.

We're not in disagreement on this. My Mother's Brazilian Carnauba has polymers in it, but it's mainly Carnauba.

Most of those sprays aren't really a wax of any kind, just a silicone polymer, and that's what Vid is warning against.

#32 8 years ago

I use Magyuirs Ultimate Quick Wax. It's a spray. One of the techs at a local Arcade that has the best playing pinball recommended this to me. The game plays fast and great. But there was a post earlier on here that mentioned spray might not have longevity. That could be true, it seems like it plays fast for about a month and a half or so.

#33 8 years ago

The only wax i have used is the plain carnauba mothers wax, works great and i have to agree that is smells good too.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I use this
Waxy.jpg

Just grabbed one at local walmart your vehichle and pinball will appreciate it

#35 8 years ago

Isn't clear coat a polymer? I understand carnauba on the old lacquer playfield.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from pinBilly:

Blitz leaves visible wax particles everywhere. It also provides a great layer of wax that makes that "just-waxed" slickness of gameplay last longer than with other brands, IMO. It works great on older playfields with slight wear. It is much easier to apply(using a foam applicator) than meguirs as well.
It's honestly the perfect wax for me. I never did use a toothbrush on my star posts, and to me, fresh white wax particles in the crevices are a sign of a freshly waxed, and good playing game.
To each, their own. There are plenty of reasons to use blitz, just like any other wax.

Your first sentence is enough reason alone to never use Blitz. Ever.

But if someone else out there actually likes to see wax residue in the crevices because "it's a sign of a freshly waxed, and good playing game" (lol) more power to em!

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

Has any one tried Collinite paste wax? I have had good results with it.

collinite wax.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Came in here to preach the church of Collinite. I use 476 because it was the strongest I could find. I actually wanted 885 but couldn't find it. This stuff last forever on cars in the northern winters so it should last a good while on a game. I have used it all the way from my 1960 GTB Kewpie Doll to my new Stern Spiderman. No issues on any game yet. Love the stuff!
http://www.collinite.com/automotive-wax/super-doublecoat-paste-wax/

#38 8 years ago

^ Collinite 476 is superb!

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

But if someone else out there actually likes to see wax residue in the crevices because "it's a sign of a freshly waxed, and good playing game" (lol) more power to em!

Yeah, I don't know about that. After using a paste wax I buff it out, remove large excess from holes with a small screwdriver, then use a hair dryer to melt any bits I can't easily get to (like divots in the shooter lane).

#40 8 years ago

I've been using this stuff.

th.jpegth.jpeg

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yep, Blitz sucks.

Good to hear this from you. I bought some and have not liked it one bit, but thought maybe I got a bad batch or somehting.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Even when I use meguirs, which doesn't turn to grains and get everywhere, I don't toothbrush my star posts. Likewise, small particles of white wax don't bother me much either. This is because:
1. I'm going to wax it again soon anyways(I really love the gameplay of a freshly waxed playfield)
2. I can barely see it, I am bothered more by something like a broken plastic or a tear in the translite
3. If I ever want to clean off the visible wax, I just wipe everything off with a rag (or toothbrush for star posts). Sometimes it wipes off waxy-clean right away, and it's never very difficult to clean off

Quoted from RobT:

^ Collinite 476 is superb!

Maybe I'll try out this stuff next time I buy a can. It sounds like a great wax.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've been using this stuff.
th.jpeg

Don't tell people that. Enough idiots here that would believe you and I don't feel like dealing with them...

#44 8 years ago

It's still pure carnuba but so much better

its not pure carnuaba at all. its a synthetic protectant. far from being "pure"

but that collinite sure looks good, and ill definately try that out at some stage ....

1 month later
#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Came in here to preach the church of Collinite. I use 476 because it was the strongest I could find. I actually wanted 885 but couldn't find it. This stuff last forever on cars in the northern winters so it should last a good while on a game. I have used it all the way from my 1960 GTB Kewpie Doll to my new Stern spiderman. No issues on any game yet. Love the stuff!
http://www.collinite.com/automotive-wax/super-doublecoat-paste-wax/

I have yet to use paste wax on a playfield but I found the 885 so I'm going to order that and give it a shot:

http://amzn.com/B00K53M852

#46 8 years ago

I've used NXT exclusively on my car for six years now. I tried it on my Ripley's and didn't like it. It's exactly like Vid said in that link posted above. It doesn't seem to offer the mechanical protection of old-school Carnuba.

I use Collinite on my boat and I doubt I'd want to use that on my pins. It's so "industrial" that I'd be concerned about it leaching into the insert plastic and hazing it.

-E

#47 8 years ago

Collinite 885 is my favorite. NXT seems to work well, but not sure how much of a base it applies. I would never use Blitz again, difficult and messy.

3 weeks later
#48 8 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I would never use Blitz again, difficult and messy.

Yep!

#49 8 years ago

Has anyone else tried this stuff or know if there's any reason not to use on a pin?

41xF5XdLEYL.jpg41xF5XdLEYL.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Gerlitz-GNO-No-1-Carnauba-Guitar/dp/B000EEHJS8/ref=sr_1_1

It seemed to work well for me, but I've never tried anything else to be able to compare it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 5.00
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
$ 24.50
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/get-waxed-lately and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.