(Topic ID: 221966)

Get a smart phone they said...

By ImNotNorm

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180803_2143290.jpg
    10A8A172-517E-4D4C-93FB-5C9DC4CDB65A (resized).jpeg
    4C00A028-8682-4218-942D-5D31D5C21E9F (resized).png
    fridge-app.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-scale (resized).jpg
    332CDCDD-BA6A-4D6F-BFB4-C9324A7B710B (resized).jpeg
    Cell_910906_71320.gif
    you-sir-you-win-the-thread.jpg
    5F6A9FD5-ED05-4460-B0D8-04DE51DEBAFD (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20180727_0953388.jpg
    There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I've bucked the trend of owning a smartphone for as long as I could. I never really needed a smartphone & there was no justification for paying extra money for one. Friends and family would be constantly flip-phone shaming me but I would stand my curmudgeon ground and tell them to get off my lawn!

But in 2016 I finally got my first smartphone. The reason I caved was because I joined a fantasy hockey pool & having a smartphone would allow me to make moves/transactions/trades when I was away from my home computer. So I ditched my trusty LG flip phone that I had for 5+ years and got a smartphone.

Well....fast forward not even two years later and I am on my THIRD smartphone.

I don't feel so smart owning these...

...and I haven't won any money in my fantasy hockey pool.

#SoMuchFail

IMG_20180727_0953388.jpgIMG_20180727_0953388.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Get a case weirdo.

#3 5 years ago

I work for one of the biggest communication companies and this is my work phone. You’d think that they’d give me a smart phone. We used to have blackberry’s years ago

5F6A9FD5-ED05-4460-B0D8-04DE51DEBAFD (resized).jpeg5F6A9FD5-ED05-4460-B0D8-04DE51DEBAFD (resized).jpeg

#4 5 years ago

I'm still rockin the same flip phone that I have had since 2012... Dropped it countless times, it went through the wash once, went swimming with it, and fell in a river with it. Personally I see no need for a smart phone and I'm 29.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Get a case weirdo.

I have a case. The accidents seem to happen when the phone is out of the case....shocking I know!

#6 5 years ago

Case is a must.
    I own an Iphone. Its great.
    I really miss my Blackberry though. Best phone I ever had. So much easier to crank out texts.
    I may switch back.
    Hey OP,
    what do you think of the new BB?

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I have a case. The accidents seem to happen when the phone is out of the case....shocking I know!

Thats the ONLY time Ive broken a phone. It was my wife's too....that sucked.

Usually...and you can use this, I wont charge you...when my phone drops, in order to stop the direct impact, Ill kick the phone or stop it with my foot. Works like 99% of the time...except that one time.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

Case is a must.
    I own an Iphone. Its great.
    I really miss my Blackberry though. Best phone I ever had. So much easier to crank out texts.
    I may switch back.
    Hey OP,
    what do you think of the new BB?

I liked the PRIV when I had it but the Key 2.0 is really well done. I like the key 2.0 so much I'm on my second one! Lol

#9 5 years ago

I have a flip phone and just use it to talk no text. Life is sooooo much easier when you don't text and I'll never die or take someone else's life in a car crash because I was texting.

#10 5 years ago

And the battery life on those flip phones would last a whole week.

Ahhhh back in the day....

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I have a flip phone and just use it to talk no text. Life is sooooo much easier when you don't text and I'll never die or take someone else's life in a car crash because I was texting.

I was just almost hit head on by someone driving and texting a few days ago. I was driving my antique VW bus so it would have been game over for me.

#12 5 years ago

Last year I finally got smart phone, the company switched providers and got new phones for all of the managers, 13 people or so. My Boss said I would have to suffer it out, with the Samsung, he knew I wouldn't like it. I have always told him, "Don't need a smart phone I just need a phone". Had 2 or 3 Motorola Razors , good little phone. Have had a cell phone since around 1988, first was a Fujitsu Pocket Commander, it was big and would still work today if the cell phone system was still analog.

At one time in the early 1990's I had 2 mobile phones and a pager with a message screen. People thought I sold drugs.

#13 5 years ago

I have an LG flip phone that works just fine for me (I use a iPhone seven at work). I really don't care for "Smart" phones and what they've done to society.
    I get REAL tired of trying to have a conversation with someone and they're using their Smart phone while you are talking to them.

Quoted from fisherdaman:

I was just almost hit head on by someone driving and texting a few days ago. I was driving my antique VW bus so it would have been game over for me.

See way to many of these distracted morons daily. I have balance problems and have to continually watch out for the people with their face in their phone not watching where they walk.

#15 5 years ago

The best part of having a flip phone was the uber-cool way you could hang up the phone.

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I get REAL tired of trying to have a conversation with someone and they're using their Smart phone while you are talking to them.

You got that right!!

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:Deleted post

After 3 phones smartphones in less than 2 years I am feeling like I fall into that category

#17 5 years ago

It's not just about being smart enough to own one, It's also what they do to people, and the cost.
    A few years ago there was no way I could afford to have a smart phone. I did need a cell phone for emergency contact and got by very inexpensively with Trac-Phone. As far as my work iPhone, it works fine for what I use it for (despite some badly thought out custom apps) but I just don't see the need for a smart phone in my personal life.

#18 5 years ago

It's also what they do to people, and the cost..

#19 5 years ago

As far as my work iPhone, it works fine for what I use it for (despite some badly thought out custom apps) but I just don't see the need for a smart phone in my personal life.

Most companies if they issue you a cell phone, let you use it personally also.

#20 5 years ago

My opinion is they have turned the entirety of mankind into idiots. And the roads would be safer with a bunch of drunk drivers.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Most companies if they issue you a cell phone, let you use it personally also.

Even if they did, I wouldn't. They get all the records of my contacts and calls from the provider.

#22 5 years ago

Im a flipper and proud of it. In terms of a phone anyway.

I know smart phones can make life much easier, but I intentionally do not have one because of the temptation to look at it all the time. There are too many things in the world to see, hear, smell, touch, etc. that cannot be experienced on a screen.

A similar discussion was probably being had about the time televisions were becoming mainstream. . . not sure how many of those were breaking by being dropped though.

#23 5 years ago

As others have said, a case is basically mandatory. I like otterbox cases--they're designed fairly well, and available for most common/popular cell phone models.

Personally, I wouldn't go with a blackberry--the hardware itself isn't that great, and the available apps are somewhat limited. I'd stick with either an android-supported phone or an iPhone. Though, granted, having a physical keyboard is real nice. I enjoyed having a slide out keyboard on an old droid3 I had years ago.

I usually cycle through to a new phone every 3-4 years. Haven't had any issues with physical damage so far--just some of the usual wear & tear.

The downsides to new phones I've seen are that some are gravitating to a wonky curved screen, and are eliminating the SD card slots and removable batteries.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Personally, I wouldn't go with a blackberry--the hardware itself isn't that great, and the available apps are somewhat limited. I'd stick with either an android-supported phone or an iPhone.

BlackBerry has run android OS for a few years now.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

As others have said, a case is basically mandatory. I like otterbox cases--they're designed fairly well, and available for most common/popular cell phone models.
    Personally, I wouldn't go with a blackberry--the hardware itself isn't that great, and the available apps are somewhat limited. I'd stick with either an android-supported phone or an iPhone. Though, granted, having a physical keyboard is real nice. I enjoyed having a slide out keyboard on an old droid3 I had years ago.
    I usually cycle through to a new phone every 3-4 years. Haven't had any issues with physical damage so far--just some of the usual wear & tear.
    The downsides to new phones I've seen are that some are gravitating to a wonky curved screen, and are eliminating the SD card slots and removable batteries.

Both PRIV + Key 2.0 run android

#26 5 years ago

I am running a BlackBerry Torch, I've had it since 2010 or 2011. Dropped it many times, never had it in a case, never broken anything (knock wood). Only issue now is the power/hang up button seems to have quit working. I ordered a new on on ebay for 1.50. I love the size, does everything I need. I don't want to watch videos or movies on my phone, that's what the big tv is for.

#27 5 years ago

All this Blackberry love is awesome!

I had a Passport which was really nice, but a little too wide. The square screen, however was imamaculate for email management. Have a KeyOne now and while I like the fact that it's the Android OS, I wish it were faster. Have no need for apps, games, or tomfoolery, I just like a robust communication device.

Insane the Torch is still my all time favorite device!

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from xeneize:

however was imamaculate

you-sir-you-win-the-thread.jpgyou-sir-you-win-the-thread.jpg
    #29 5 years ago

First smartphone I bought actually only worked for a day. I had a nice thick case on it, went to an ATM and the phone fell out of my pocket and landed right on the screen. Of course there was a pebble perfectly placed that cracked my screen so bad it was impossible to use. Just my luck. Of course I didn't have a warranty or anything

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Otterbox mostly makes cases for iPhone, iPad, Samsung and LG. They don't make cases for BlackBerry.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I work for one of the biggest communication companies and this is my work phone. You’d think that they’d give me a smart phone. We used to have blackberry’s years ago
    [quoted image]

Exactly what I have. 6 years and running , dropped, kicked. I do have a flat screen phone courtesy of another pinsider and will eventually switch to it.

#32 5 years ago

The worst feature of any mobile phone, is the fact that it is impossible to slam the handset down, to let callers know you are mad at them!

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

The worst feature of any mobile phone, is the fact that it is impossible to slam the handset down, to let callers know you are mad at them!

#34 5 years ago

Didn't know of Jerry stating this. Last week I was pissed at a sales lady. She calls me every six months, and I really wanted to slam the handset while she was talking.

#35 5 years ago

iPhone 4s with a lifeproof case. It's lasted 5 years and gets a new lifeproof case every year. Small and you toss it, drop it and get it wet and it keeps going. Wished phones still hung on the wall. It's Friday and my phone is off until Monday morning.

#36 5 years ago

Probably should have just run the stupid lady over that just stepped off the curb staring at one of those idiot phones in front of my moving truck and put her out of her misery instead of slamming on the brakes.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Didn't know of Jerry stating this. Last week I was pissed at a sales lady. She calls me every six months, and I really wanted to slam the handset while she was talking.

However, as a consolation, you can always hang up on them while they're yapping, leaving them to wonder how long they've been talking to nobody.

#38 5 years ago

How I ever managed to survive for over 50 years without one is beyond me.

Cell_910906_71320.gifCell_910906_71320.gif
    #39 5 years ago

I think this thread got misplaced, shouldn't it be in the EM Collectors forum?

Smart phones are great when used properly. Hookup the smart phone to your car stereo (sorry flip phone guys, it won't integrate into that 8 track player), tell it what to do, and be on your way. Want to listen to commercial free music in your car- stream your favorite app (safer than looking at the radio to change stations). Need to call someone? Tell your phone who to call without looking at it (safer than looking at a phone to dial). Need directions somewhere and don't want to look at a screen? There is the smartphone again.

Plenty of people use their smart phones improperly, but plenty of people do use them properly too (You just don't hear about them).

Pinside wouldn't be nearly as busy as it is today without the invention of the smartphone. Not sure if that is a good thing or not....

#41 5 years ago

Easy there newly minted Doc Brown!
    332CDCDD-BA6A-4D6F-BFB4-C9324A7B710B (resized).jpeg332CDCDD-BA6A-4D6F-BFB4-C9324A7B710B (resized).jpeg

Smart phones are great, when used sparingly and or, for locating new tasty places to eat when you’re in unfamiliar territory.

Or my favorite...
    Repeatedly having to wrangle-up (via text) lost teenage children at theme parks that AREN’T yours!

#42 5 years ago

I guess I'm really old school. When I want to take pictures I use my camera. When I want to access the internet I use my computer. When I want to call someone I use my phone.

Maybe I'll invent a refrigerator that can make phone calls - or - a dishwasher that takes pictures.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

Maybe I'll invent a refrigerator that can make phone calls

You're a little late on that one. Now they've made it so you don't even have to think what you want to get to eat.
    fridge-app.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-scale (resized).jpgfridge-app.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-scale (resized).jpg

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

BlackBerry has run android OS for a few years now.

Hah, I guess I do dimly recall reading about that somewhere now that you mention it. I had completely forgotten about that.

I wrote off BB years ago and haven't paid much attention to them since.

#45 5 years ago

I've had 'em all from the original Motorola brick to the latest fancy smartphones. Granted the current versions are all-around great for many things, but the one I always miss is the Blackberry World. The best ever. You can text and email like a bitch. Still have 2 of them stashed away, along with my old original Motorola flip.

#46 5 years ago

They still make Blackberry phones? Who knew?!?

#47 5 years ago

Flip phones? Really? Man, whatever floats your boat. I think the smartphone is the greatest invention ever. You can communicate with anyone, take great pictures, look up anything on internet, do email, gps, play games, etc. It just does everything, easy to use, and fits in your pocket. You gotta get a decent one, though. My dad refuses to get one but has had plenty of problems with stupid flip phones. They break or just stop working right. Rarely have any issues with my smartphones. Only issue really is battery life goes down after a while but that's the same for all phones.

#48 5 years ago

Silly question. Do flip phones have Bluetooth to use in your car?

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Silly question. Do flip phones have Bluetooth to use in your car?

A lot of them do now. It is mostly just for talk though, not texting and music.

#50 5 years ago

You can't win with smartphones. They are expensive, if you try to buy a cheaper model they never work right and break even easier. Even the expensive models break easily and the cell companies want you to buy insurance on all your phones and there is still a $100 deductible. It's a money sucking industry I feel trapped in. A family of 4 can easily be paying $200 or more a month.

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/get-a-smart-phone-they-said?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.