(Topic ID: 221966)

Get a smart phone they said...

By ImNotNorm

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180803_2143290.jpg
    10A8A172-517E-4D4C-93FB-5C9DC4CDB65A (resized).jpeg
    4C00A028-8682-4218-942D-5D31D5C21E9F (resized).png
    fridge-app.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-scale (resized).jpg
    332CDCDD-BA6A-4D6F-BFB4-C9324A7B710B (resized).jpeg
    Cell_910906_71320.gif
    you-sir-you-win-the-thread.jpg
    5F6A9FD5-ED05-4460-B0D8-04DE51DEBAFD (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20180727_0953388.jpg
    There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Silly question. Do flip phones have Bluetooth to use in your car?

My LG 441G does.

#52 5 years ago

Get an Otterbox Defender if they make one for the phone. Built in screen protector and it makes the phone a little brick.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

They are expensive, if you try to buy a cheaper model they never work right and break even easier.

Just make sure to get old stock, rather than refurbished. Refurbished is always going to be a mixed bag, but old stock is essentially brand new. Ebay has plenty listed for just about any model you can think of.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

You can't win with smartphones. They are expensive, if you try to buy a cheaper model they never work right and break even easier. Even the expensive models break easily and the cell companies want you to buy insurance on all your phones and there is still a $100 deductible. It's a money sucking industry I feel trapped in. A family of 4 can easily be paying $200 or more a month.

I use a good case and self-insure now. The last phone I insured and actually used the policy, it took days and lots of calls to get my first replacement. Of course, it was a dud. So I wait a few more days to get a good one. $100 insurance + $50 deductible + lots of hassle and downtime = not worth it. How much was the phone worth when it broke? Oh, about $150 to $200.

T-Mobile is stupid cheap for service at least. 5 lines of unlimited everything + Netflix cost me ~$110. I used to pay so much more for so much less.

#55 5 years ago

We were all better off before all of this crap. No cell phones, no beepers, and people actually had lives and did things. Thank God no one could track me in my youth.............

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

The worst feature of any mobile phone, is the fact that it is impossible to slam the handset down, to let callers know you are mad at them!

Quoted from Darcy:

Didn't know of Jerry stating this. Last week I was pissed at a sales lady. She calls me every six months, and I really wanted to slam the handset while she was talking.

You guys can slam the old landline down as hard as you want. It does not matter. The only thing the other party will hear is "click".

#57 5 years ago

I remember the first couple of international/cross country road trips I took before cell phones -- I used to check back in at home via pay phones every couple days.

Cell phones provide an element of safety, guidance, and convenience. . . but at a price of obligation and dependency. I know I am odd, but I liked the challenge of looking at a map and finding my way to parts unknown; it always instilled a true feeling of freedom. Cell phones numb that feeling of freedom and adventure a bit -- kinda like scuba diving with a tether/air line to the surface vs. using a tank.

My wife thinks I am crazy when I bust out the map/atlas before we travel. I will not say she is crazy for having the phone though -- it would come in handy if we found ourselves stuck in the middle of nowhere. I guess there is a reason why do not hear many jokes about guys refusing to ask for directions at the gas station anymore. . .

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Last year I finally got smart phone, the company switched providers and got new phones for all of the managers, 13 people or so. My Boss said I would have to suffer it out, with the Samsung, he knew I wouldn't like it. I have always told him, "Don't need a smart phone I just need a phone". Had 2 or 3 Motorola Razors , good little phone. Have had a cell phone since around 1988, first was a Fujitsu Pocket Commander, it was big and would still work today if the cell phone system was still analog.
    At one time in the early 1990's I had 2 mobile phones and a pager with a message screen. People thought I sold drugs.

My first phone was a red razor. I still remember making call from the Bonneville salt flats during the races and thought it was waaaay cool to be able to do so. Loved that little guy.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Cell phones provide an element of safety, guidance, and convenience. . . but at a price of obligation and dependency. I know I am odd, but I liked the challenge of looking at a map and finding my way to parts unknown; it always instilled a true feeling of freedom.

That's why I have a 7 inch GPS.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I remember the first couple of international/cross country road trips I took before cell phones -- I used to check back in at home via pay phones every couple days.
    Cell phones provide an element of safety, guidance, and convenience. . . but at a price of obligation and dependency. I know I am odd, but I liked the challenge of looking at a map and finding my way to parts unknown; it always instilled a true feeling of freedom. Cell phones numb that feeling of freedom and adventure a bit -- kinda like scuba diving with a tether/air line to the surface vs. using a tank.
    My wife thinks I am crazy when I bust out the map/atlas before we travel. I will not say she is crazy for having the phone though -- it would come in handy if we found ourselves stuck in the middle of nowhere. I guess there is a reason why do not hear many jokes about guys refusing to ask for directions at the gas station anymore. . .

You are not crazy about looking at maps. I have a AAA membership and when I am heading to unknown places I get the AAA maps and trips ticks.

There were two times I did not do that and put my reliance on Google Maps for the iPhone.

When you are somewhere in the west Texas desert and do not know where you are at and the iPhone cannot get a connection you immediately wish you had map.

And Google Maps does not always show you the best way. I picked up a pin in Jackson Mississippi and was heading to Little Rock to see friends. If I would have had a map I would have seen that I should head east for about 5 miles to pick up the interstate. But heading east was not the shortest way to Little Rock and Google Maps had me heading down every back highway, every stop sign, and every one horse town from Jackson to LR.

So, no, you are not crazy for scoping out the maps.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

iPhone 4s with a lifeproof case. It's lasted 5 years and gets a new lifeproof case every year. Small and you toss it, drop it and get it wet and it keeps going. Wished phones still hung on the wall. It's Friday and my phone is off until Monday morning.

I like my iPhone 4S, too. I use the Mophie Juice Pack cases. It fits in my shirt pocket like a pack of cigarettes. I don't smoke anymore so it feels right at home.

The biggest issue I have with this iPhone is the ringer is not loud enough. I still have my HTE trac fone laying around and it had a ringer I could hear from one end of the house to the other.

But there was one day I was out shopping at the thrift store ( thrift stores are a hobby ) and some old codger's cell phone went off with the loudest ringer I have heard on any cell phone. I asked him what his phone was that had such a nice ringer. He was carrying a Kyocera flip phone. I still think about dumping my iPhone for one of those just to have that loud ringer.

What cell phones have nice loud ringers?

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Probably should have just run the stupid lady over that just stepped off the curb staring at one of those idiot phones in front of my moving truck and put her out of her misery instead of slamming on the brakes.

The strangest sight is to see several kids, as a group, riding their bicycles and everyone of them is busy looking at their cell phones as they peddle down the street.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

We were all better off before all of this crap. No cell phones, no beepers, and people actually had lives and did things. Thank God no one could track me in my youth.............

Nyah, they're awesome travel companions. GPS/camera/music player/communication tool when you're hiking in another country? What a great device that fits in your pocket.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You guys can slam the old landline down as hard as you want. It does not matter. The only thing the other party will hear is "click".

The trick of slamming the hand set is to miss its cradled position on purpose, creating a smacking sound, then putting the in place.

#65 5 years ago

I purchased several in-box Samsung flip phones to keep as backups. Always work,clear as a bell and battery life is incredible. I get sick of seeing 20,000 kids at the University walking around like zombies,looking down, I don't want to become one of them.
    Use a pro camera to take photos, thats what photographers use.
    Use a loaded Mac desktop, thats what Executives use. I don't like small screens, small virtual buttons and half-assed cameras.
    Also don't enjoy having that much radiation near my privates, my head or chest.
    Enjoy Walter White anonymity when using my prepaid flip phone, will only change when I have to.

#66 5 years ago

Get smart phone

4C00A028-8682-4218-942D-5D31D5C21E9F (resized).png4C00A028-8682-4218-942D-5D31D5C21E9F (resized).png
    #67 5 years ago

What really sucks is that all of this cell phone destruction has only happened in the last few months. I really should consider myself lucky since I constantly drop the TV remote. My wife says the day isn't complete until the TV remote hits the floor.

One more accident and it's back to my original flip-phone....

...unless I win the hockey pool then it's a wash.

#68 5 years ago

You just need the right Smartphone for you. I’ve had an iPhone since they first came out, upgrading about ever other generation. I’m not one that has to get a new phone every year... so far, the only thing that I have broken was my 4S when it fell off a bench and it busted the backglass. All of my other phones have been tossed around tractor cabs, dropped multiple times, etc and they all lasted at least a couple of years.

If you really want something durable, Catapiller makes a rugged smartphone.

Personally, I miss my first phone....a Motorola bag phone. It had a battery life that was measured in minutes so it stayed plugged into whatever I was driving, but man that thing never had a problem getting a signal.

10A8A172-517E-4D4C-93FB-5C9DC4CDB65A (resized).jpeg10A8A172-517E-4D4C-93FB-5C9DC4CDB65A (resized).jpeg
    #69 5 years ago

I'm young and will never go back to flip phones. I got my first iPhone (a 4s) in 2011 and had that until 2016 when I upgraded to an iPhone SE which I have now. That being said, I will be moving from iOS to Android with my next phone. Although my first two phones have been relatively trouble free, I have personally witnessed Apple shoot themselves in the foot for years and years under Tim Cook by creating poorly designed hardware, poorly tested software, and extreme negative stances on right to repair. I've learned through independent repair videos that if a future Apple device I were to own had a design flaw or need professional repair, sending it to an "Apple Authorized Service Provider" will cost literally half the price of the phone and will result in the logic board being blasted with heat or chips being hacked to press up against their pads on the board to "fix" an issue. This is unacceptable.

My next phone will be a Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact. It costs a literal third of modern iPhones, has far superior specifications, and now I feel Android has superseded iOS in stability and freedom of choice. By the time I'm ready to ditch Apple it will be about 3 years old, but it has top of the line specs for today and performance will not be an issue. I also hate large phones and will not be buying one from any brand.

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

The worst feature of any mobile phone, is the fact that it is impossible to slam the handset down, to let callers know you are mad at them!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.callysto.devin.slamthephone&hl=en_US

#71 5 years ago

I use a FLIR one case and glass shield on screen. I normally leave the thermal camera part at work.
    Every so often I need a new shield

#72 5 years ago

Well the bad luck continues....but with an AC adapter I got with my run-dmd clock. Dropped on the hardwood floor tonight and it split open and broke.

Do they make cases for adapters?

IMG_20180803_2143290.jpgIMG_20180803_2143290.jpg
    2 weeks later
    #73 5 years ago

How's your hopefully non-broken smartphone doing?

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Hows your hopefully non-broken smartphone doing?

It's working great. I have purchased another case for it. The gel/silicone that goes around the phone + a sleeve case to slide it in. Double redundancy!!

Also...got my replacement AC adapter a few days ago

I think I may start a thread of things I break by dropping them

#75 5 years ago

Why is o-din ejected from this thread?

#76 5 years ago

What I find interesting about cell phones is people whip them out and look at them in all the same "I'm bored and need something to do" situations where people used to smoke.

I guess humans are just figity!

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

It's working great. I have purchased another case for it. The gel/silicone that goes around the phone + a sleeve case to slide it in. Double redundancy!!
    Also...got my replacement AC adapter a few days ago
    I think I may start a thread of things I break by dropping them

The 2 part cases work best for us along with a tempered glass screen protector. I like the Unicorn Beetle Pro series as they are good and inexpensive, though they add some bulk. Just upgraded to an S8. My first curve screened phone. It's cool, but an accident waiting to happen without protection.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

The 2 part cases work best for us along with a tempered glass screen protector. I like the Unicorn Beetle Pro series as they are good and inexpensive, though they add some bulk. Just upgraded to an S8. My first curve screened phone. It's cool, but an accident waiting to happen without protection.

They have those for BlackBerry?

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

They have those for BlackBerry?

They don't do Blackberry. You could probably find something like it on Amazon though.

#80 5 years ago

Simple. Helmet law for pedestrians. I bet California will be first with this law. lol

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

"I'm bored and need something to do" situations

I saw an interesting view on this in a TED talk, "Sherry Turkle: Connected but alone?". A Google search will link you to the video.

#82 5 years ago

Why did the OP ever take their phones out of the case in the first place?

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Why did the OP ever take their phones out of the case in the first place?

BlackBerry PRIV (my first smartphone smashing) doesn't allow for a case that encompasses the entire phone. I had a sleeve pouch for it.

I had a case on my Key2 but it still shattered the screen.

So now I just combine the sleeve from the PRIV and the case for the Key2. Double redundancy

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

They don't do Blackberry. You could probably find something like it on Amazon though.

Yea I found something similar which is what I have on my Key2 right now.

#85 5 years ago

I am another old flip phone user. Had the same Samsung model for about 10 years now. T-Mobile finally gave up on me switching up and just gave me unlimited everything, but texting is a real pain. I simply don't text. Now, I do have a smartphone from work and admit I take it on road trips for mapping, but Rand McNally is always in my truck as well. I see what "smartphones" do to people and I will not allow myself to fall into that pit. I am happy with my flip phone. It makes calls when I need it to and the $21.00/monthly bill is easy on my budget. I figured I have saved enough money just in the last few years that I can afford an imamaculate Baywatch. Not that one though.

#86 5 years ago

Smart phone is a just a euphemism for crappy computer. One that tries to do everything, and fails at the majority of it. I'll keep my flip phone until the technology actually reaches a point where it's worth buying.

Anybody who's seen the show "The Expanse" will understand the kind of tech I'm looking for.

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/get-a-smart-phone-they-said/page/2?hl=mark66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.