(Topic ID: 245863)

Germany wanted those Williams games to be harder... really!

By 27dnast

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by 27dnast
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 12.23.21 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 12.23.10 PM (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

The lightning flipper story with games like BSD and Fish Tales seems to be generally known. If I'm not mistaken, there was a large German distributor that asked Williams to make the games tougher... shorter ball times... and those flippers were a solution.

I've always thought that was interesting... but didn't realize that at least one (maybe more?) German and European (excluding France) received games had factory settings that were decidedly more difficult than games shipped to US, Canadian and French distributors. At least that's what I stumbled across in BSD's manual... you can see in the attachments, the Factory settings for German delivered BSD are the same as Hard settings for US/Canada games.... and the German Extra Hard settings are certainly harder than top-tier US Extra Hard settings.

In this case did the German/European games ship with an entirely different ROM? Or can you switch to German settings in a domestic ROM?

Would be interested to hear what some old timers/ pinball historians have to say about this...

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 12.23.10 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-24 at 12.23.10 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-24 at 12.23.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-24 at 12.23.21 PM (resized).png
#2 4 years ago

Ja.... du musst besser spielen!!!!

#3 4 years ago

BSD and FT are two of my favorite games. Who knows, maybe lightning flippers would have been fun on other games too.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Ja.... du musst besser spielen!!!!

Ich brauche mehr Zeit, um meine Flipperfähigkeiten zu üben.

-Mike

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

BSD and FT are two of my favorite games. Who knows, maybe lightning flippers would have been fun on other games too.

May I present Popeye. Your point is now invalid.

#6 4 years ago

Hitler is not going to react well to this revelation.

#7 4 years ago

Did you guys realize that the difficulty settings were that different... or different at all?

#8 4 years ago

I bought a HUO White Water years ago with the goodie bag still in the game. It had spare lightning flippers in it, presumably for the European market, or for operators in the states looking to make the game more challenging.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Did you guys realize that the difficulty settings were that different... or different at all?

My time there mostly ended in '83 with a couple of visits since then, so my frame of reference is kinda dated. I will say that Flash Gordon kicked my butt back then and still does now...

#10 4 years ago

My BSD has the L-1 rom. There's an option for European scoring but the difficulty settings only offers ex easy through ex hard. There's no option for a US or European version of difficulty settings.

So.... those European games must have shipped with unique European ROMs?

3 weeks later
#11 4 years ago

No one knows if there are European specific ROMs?

Does anyone here have a BSD re-import? I'd be curious if you went into settings and found the German/Euro difficulty settings...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 5.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/germany-wanted-those-williams-games-to-be-harder-really and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.