German Bally Cosmos with NO CHIMES (upgradable?) :(

By waffen_spain

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi there folks,

Im thinking about buying my first EM pinball, a german version of Bally Cosmos, playfield is close to perfect, and plays good, but NO MUSIC!!!!

Seems that many german versions of Bally came without the chimes, for me a EM without chimes is sad, no sense, so Im wondering if its possible to install a set of chimes.

I've found some websites that sells complete chimes for bally pins, but Im not sure if the german pins still have the wiring to install the sound system.

What do you think, could be possible to "upgrade" the pin with chimes?

Thanks!!!!

#2 6 years ago

According to the IPMD website, it's possible that there is no factory wiring for the chimes in some of the games sent to Germany. http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=572

#3 6 years ago

I'm not sure I could own an EM without the bells/chimes. Adds way to much to the game!

#4 6 years ago

Check to see if there are some vacant female jones type connectors on the motor board. Does the game have a knocker?
Even so, it's always possible to retrofit bells or chimes into any game as long as you have the components.

#5 6 years ago

This game does not have a chime box ever. Instead it uses bells in the back box. The Jones plug is probably there for it but you will have to actually buy the 10/100 point bell ( pinball Resource). Then there’s another bell that mounts on the match unit. Again you can buy a blank black bell with no coil, just the bell itself, from pinball resource

It is common for games that were brought back from Germany to have No bells. You will see the punchings in the side of the cabinet backbox wall where the bell was originally to be mounted. But if you look closely you’ll see that there’s never been a Screw in the hole. I don’t think any Bally games exported to Germany had bells

1 week later
#6 6 years ago

I recently installed chimes in a Bally Wizard that also was a European game that had none. The socket was there but actually had the knocker plugged in by mistake. After finding the correct socket for that, I used a chime unit from a Williams. The ground wire on the plug had to be switched, but everything worked fine even with the Williams coils.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from waffen_spain:

Hi there folks,
Im thinking about buying my first EM pinball, a german version of Bally Cosmos, playfield is close to perfect, and plays good, but NO MUSIC!!!!
Seems that many german versions of Bally came without the chimes, for me a EM without chimes is sad, no sense, so Im wondering if its possible to install a set of chimes.

This can be heard very often, and the definitive reason is that german distributors did NOT WANT the games to be shipped with bells, to save money because nobody used them over here. In the 60ies there weren't many arcades in germany, 90 percent of the games were located in typical 'german beer-bars' and no one needed bells. The manufacturers were happy with this, they saved money.

#8 6 years ago

Putting a Williams chime box in a Bally is, Ummm, crazy. They sound completely different. Williams boxes are the worst sounding of the three major manufacturers. Only Chicago coin sounds worse.

#9 6 years ago

i owned a few 1970's gottlieb pins that were imported back into australia from the netherlands which had no chimes, no wiring etc. was strange playing them without it.

they were big indian, hot shot and jungle queen.

1 week later
#10 6 years ago

Hi again folks,

Thanks for your help.

Finally I will keep searching for my first EM, we cant find the wires/connectors for the chimes or bells, I don't want the hassel of trying to fit sound into my first EM

Game plays nice but an EM without the sound is like 50% of an EM, at least for me, so I will stay away from german imports

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/german-bally-cosmos-with-no-chimes-upgradable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.