Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Layout (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20201006_131857 (resized).jpg
    520-6935-10 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russdx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This was a great video that should put to rest some of the misunderstandings about how spike operates.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stern games are also the only games going through things like UL approvals.

I think the node boards is a fantastic system the idea behind it is great. Just need to make them more affordable.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

UL isn't required.

Yeah depends what country your in, CE is Europe/UK, FCC is states?

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

After watching George’s explanation, can better appreciate Stern’s efficiency over other manufacturers in reducing wire mess complexity. Other manufacturers show underside of their machines, with wire running all over the place, it may seem they put a lot more in their games. But reality is more parts and wire are needed because their systems are quite inefficient. Consumer has to pay for all those extra man hours and parts. Hence the reason other manufacturers charge so much more for their pinball machines. Yet the unsuspecting public say, look at how much more they put in their machines over a Stern. In addition, all the extra wire and parts cause heavier weight issues as well. More parts mean larger maintence issues in the future. Inefficient systems have a domino effect on everything.

I think a lot of the stern hate would go away if people just new the reason behind some of there decisions like in this video George explains why they moved the power switch most people assumed it was to save a bit of wire and cost cut but in reality it was to help with compliance and make the machines even safer. I bet you find a lot of there "cost cutting" decisions are similar to this one (not all lol but probably quite a few) I really look forward to other videos covering more of these decisions and the reasons behind them as its very interesting. I bet there is all sorts of problems and issues people just don't know about or think of. Any one in design or manufacturing probably has a better idea as will have similar issues id expect. But the end user usually has no idea.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Exactly. Since common repair and esp. debugging is much more difficult on node boards vs. older tech, it puts it outside the ability of many owners/operators who used to this kind of electronics work themselves. As a show of good faith Stern should have a program where you can turn in a faulty board for a refurbished replacement at their cost. Not every item in the Stern store needs to come with a massive markup for the company to be successful.

I don't think it should be at there cost?? If my tv breaks I don't send in the pcb for a new one for free? They expect me to buy a new one. But stern prices could be far cheaper the quantity they manufacture those boards in they must have a huge mark up on them. Sending in for repair is a good idea but it shouldn't be a free service but cheaper then buying a new board.

#54 3 years ago

Problem can easily be solved by Stern just lowering the price as they must have a huge mark up. But that's there decision i guess. They are the only ones who manufacture those boards so technically can charge what ever they want (and they do lol) I guess only downside to this for them is ppl may avoid buying there machines.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

Research and Development is not cheap and is factored into the prices. You can’t just sell the boards for the amount it costs to fabricate. There’s a lot more to the equation.

Completely agree but the prices these things go for they are way marked up.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

So? they are a business.
    The griping about prices never ends yet somehow games keep selling out.

Oh yes this is why they don’t care and keep prices high as people just keep coming back and asking for more why we have 1k toppers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russdx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/george-gomez-is-a-class-act-new-youtube-series-?tu=russdx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.