Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Layout (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20201006_131857 (resized).jpg
    520-6935-10 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 3 years ago

Yeah I really like the SPIKE system and the node board concept is definitely the way of the future using automobile industry standards. All of that saved wiring, complexity and labor along with improved reliability. Back in 2006 there were a lot of problems with the release of the SAM system (every WPT CPU was defective and had to be replaced), and everyone complained about surface mount components even though the components that fail most like transistors were still through hole and easily repaired in the field. Fast forward to SPIKE and they had some issues with the design of the node board layouts which cause a lot of really bad issues early on and have since been corrected. People once again complained about surface mount components even though the most common failing components in the field are still through hole. Check the transistors on the SPIKE driver board. I can replace them no problem if one ever shorts out. Thus far I have never had a problem with a SPIKE game though - knock on wood.
    520-6935-10 (resized).jpg520-6935-10 (resized).jpg

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The node boards are repairable.
    The long term solution is people just have to learn to work with surface mount and more complex electronics.

The drive transistors on the node boards are not surface mount and can easily be replaced. Some of the earlier boards had design/manufacturing problems on the surface mount equipment which made them fail way too frequently. The idea is that the operators and home users will still be able to replace the common components that fail in the field because of shorting or whatever. The only difference is the board is smaller and mounted under the playfield instead of the backbox to save miles of wiring. Go back and look at SAM. Plenty of surface mount there too, but I changed my share of failed transistors with no problems on SAM games.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/george-gomez-is-a-class-act-new-youtube-series-?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.