Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Layout (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20201006_131857 (resized).jpg
    520-6935-10 (resized).jpg

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Stern has started a series of vids on their YouTube channel with George Gomez providing insight into the design of their pins.

The first episode dives into the spike 2 system, but what stands out is George himself -well spoken and a class act. Along the way he does a great job acknowledging and addressing common questions/concerns with a hint into the future.

Appreciate them connecting to the community in this way and at this time!

Worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxpi_Z_1emaKs909Oiop_-A

#2 3 years ago

I always admired George whenever I saw a video of him or listened to him on a podcast. He seems like a great person to work for and I am sure his team respects him to the highest level. He is doing great things at Stern and he truly is a treasure to this industry.

#3 3 years ago

I’ve always enjoyed speaking with him when I’ve seen him at shows, nice guy, very approachable...I think he’s my favorite designer.

Nice video and I look forward to seeing more of them.

#4 3 years ago

Gomez is da man!! Sickest signature also!!

#5 3 years ago

Title is a little much but interesting video thanks.

#6 3 years ago

Yup, good video. Would never have thought to watch it based on the title. So thanks for posting.

#7 3 years ago

Top notch stuff. Highly recommended if you are on the fence in terms of watching. Mr. Gomez is always so informative and a pleasure to listen to!

#8 3 years ago

What an interesting title for a youtube video... I could have sworn I've seen it before... LOL!

#9 3 years ago

We have a LOT of cool stuff planned as George alluded to at the beginning of the vid.
    This is a lot of content I've always wanted (Behind the scenes design stuff), and stoked to help it come to life!

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from TOpinhead:

What an interesting title for a youtube video... I could have sworn I've seen it before... LOL!

How wrong was that guy!

#11 3 years ago

Smart play and couldn't pick a better person to present. Great designer and great guy.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

How wrong was that guy!

He’s an idiot and so are all the people who ran with that moronic video as some kind of evidence that spike sucks.

It’s amazing to me how gullible people are when a YouTube link is involved. Something about YouTube just makes people believe nonsense with zero critical thinking.

#13 3 years ago

Well that is pretty darn cool. I realize it is a marketing spin, but good on George. I'll watch them.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He’s an idiot and so are all the people who ran with that moronic video as some kind of evidence that spike sucks.
    It’s amazing to me how gullible people are when a YouTube link is involved. Something about YouTube just makes people believe nonsense with zero critical thinking.

well, he's not entirely wrong. Spike is easy to fix if you just replace the boards when they go bad, but that's very expensive and I think game specific in some cases, which makes it difficult to just have a board on hand. As an operator, do you want a game down for a week or two while you source a board? Very few people can diagnose and repair boards in spike games due to through-hole technology, and if that main board in the back fails, it's very expensive. This is my biggest issue with the Spike system. The lack of fuses in spike I view positively and like that a node board will shut down if it senses a fault. I'm looking forward to the next segments on repair of the spike system and hopefully some tips on identifying common problems.

#15 3 years ago

George Gomez is the engine that makes Stern go. He is the anti-Robert Mueller. Remains humble while getting shit done.

#16 3 years ago

Great video. Wish it was made 5 or so years ago ha.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That guy was parallel importing Stern games to Australia. Selling Spike games and telling people how good they were. He got caught out and the video appeared. Not long after Sour grapes!

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

well, he's not entirely wrong. Spike is easy to fix if you just replace the boards when they go bad, but that's very expensive and I think game specific in some cases, which makes it difficult to just have a board on hand. As an operator, do you want a game down for a week or two while you source a board? Very few people can diagnose and repair boards in spike games due to through-hole technology, and if that main board in the back fails, it's very expensive. This is my biggest issue with the Spike system. The lack of fuses in spike I view positively and like that a node board will shut down if it senses a fault. I'm looking forward to the next segments on repair of the spike system and hopefully some tips on identifying common problems.

The system is still new. I am sure as time goes on more and more people will work out how to repair the boards, same as what happened on all the older games. I can also see cheaper mode boards from other manufacturers coming to the market.

A SAM driver board has mostly SMT components the same as Spike mode boards. A SAM driver board costs a lot more that a spike mode board. Both have though components on the MOSFETS (transistors).

#19 3 years ago

What is the price of replacing a node board from stern?

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

What is the price of replacing a node board from stern?

Depends on the board. The common ones are $175-$200

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Exactly. I know several people whose games had failed MPU or other node boards and waited weeks for replacements in my local collector community. And the cost was $300+ Cdn. That $300 that won't be spent on a new Stern game anytime soon. Turns people off Spike games pretty quick. Stern should offer these replacements at cost. They could be refurbs or whatever.

This video is great, and it is refreshing to see Stern start to attempt to address common concerns publicly. Should have been there when Spike was introduced.

I eagerly await the video that shows me how to fix the PF clear-coat chip on my brand new DP Pro that started chipping under the mylar less than 50 games in...

#22 3 years ago

I enjoyed the video as well. Thank you George and Stern for thinking of us and sharing some information. I'm looking forward to the future videos.

Am I the only one who was scoping out the games in the back and checking for easter eggs. I couldn't make out the game with the playfield up or the game on the right with red sides and a green translite. He did say wifi coming soon. I wonder if wifi is the reason they are having to go to quad core or if it's another reason.

#23 3 years ago

Not sure how to directly
    Say this to George, but that was great! I really enjoyed that first video.

Edit: I meant to say this earlier, but wasn't sure how to articulate: I absolutely enjoyed the geek-level engineering descriptions - NONE of it felt like excuses or apologies for some of the decisions Stern has made (mind, he didn't talk about the clear or anything under the playfield!), and it all made SENSE. More, please!

#24 3 years ago

Wow, what a great video

#25 3 years ago

Awesome video - i really enjoyed the tech detail and insight shared. Looking forward to watching the whole series, can't wait for the next one

#26 3 years ago

Nice video, thanks for sharing.

#27 3 years ago

Didnt know about this, atleast now I know what I will watch during dinner tonight.

#28 3 years ago

This was a great video that should put to rest some of the misunderstandings about how spike operates.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stern games are also the only games going through things like UL approvals.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

Am I the only one who was scoping out the games in the back and checking for easter eggs. I couldn't make out the game with the playfield up or the game on the right with red sides and a green translite. He did say wifi coming soon. I wonder if wifi is the reason they are having to go to quad core or if it's another reason.

No easter eggs there. It was filmed in Jack Danger's studio.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This was a great video that should put to rest some of the misunderstandings about how spike operates.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stern games are also the only games going through things like UL approvals.

I think the node boards is a fantastic system the idea behind it is great. Just need to make them more affordable.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Depends on the board. The common ones are $175-$200

And a spike 2 cpu 1500 i heard is that correct? or bulshit.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

No all manufactures will need CE / FCC / UL or they would be selling an illegal product.

UL isn't required.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

And a spike 2 cpu 1500 i heard is that correct? or bulshit.

$899 at Marco

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/509-1003-01

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

UL isn't required.

Yeah depends what country your in, CE is Europe/UK, FCC is states?

#36 3 years ago

Yeah I really like the SPIKE system and the node board concept is definitely the way of the future using automobile industry standards. All of that saved wiring, complexity and labor along with improved reliability. Back in 2006 there were a lot of problems with the release of the SAM system (every WPT CPU was defective and had to be replaced), and everyone complained about surface mount components even though the components that fail most like transistors were still through hole and easily repaired in the field. Fast forward to SPIKE and they had some issues with the design of the node board layouts which cause a lot of really bad issues early on and have since been corrected. People once again complained about surface mount components even though the most common failing components in the field are still through hole. Check the transistors on the SPIKE driver board. I can replace them no problem if one ever shorts out. Thus far I have never had a problem with a SPIKE game though - knock on wood.
    520-6935-10 (resized).jpg520-6935-10 (resized).jpg

#37 3 years ago

After watching George’s explanation, can better appreciate Stern’s efficiency over other manufacturers in reducing wire mess complexity. Other manufacturers show underside of their machines, with wire running all over the place, it may seem they put a lot more in their games. But reality is more parts and wire are needed because their systems are quite inefficient. Consumer has to pay for all those extra man hours and parts. Hence the reason other manufacturers charge so much more for their pinball machines. Yet the unsuspecting public say, look at how much more they put in their machines over a Stern. In addition, all the extra wire and parts cause heavier weight issues as well. More parts mean larger maintence issues in the future. Inefficient systems have a domino effect on everything.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

After watching George’s explanation, can better appreciate Stern’s efficiency over other manufacturers in reducing wire mess complexity. Other manufacturers show underside of their machines, with wire running all over the place, it may seem they put a lot more in their games. But reality is more parts and wire are needed because their systems are quite inefficient. Consumer has to pay for all those extra man hours and parts. Hence the reason other manufacturers charge so much more for their pinball machines. Yet the unsuspecting public say, look at how much more they put in their machines over a Stern. In addition, all the extra wire and parts cause heavier weight issues as well. More parts mean larger maintence issues in the future. Inefficient systems have a domino effect on everything.

I think a lot of the stern hate would go away if people just new the reason behind some of there decisions like in this video George explains why they moved the power switch most people assumed it was to save a bit of wire and cost cut but in reality it was to help with compliance and make the machines even safer. I bet you find a lot of there "cost cutting" decisions are similar to this one (not all lol but probably quite a few) I really look forward to other videos covering more of these decisions and the reasons behind them as its very interesting. I bet there is all sorts of problems and issues people just don't know about or think of. Any one in design or manufacturing probably has a better idea as will have similar issues id expect. But the end user usually has no idea.

#39 3 years ago

In future I hope they can port earlier Spike 1 DMD games like Kiss, Ghost Busters, Game of Thrones etc to the Spike 2 platform to maintain serviceability.

I have already experienced a blown 5V supply circuit on a Kiss Pro Spike 1 board, and on that occasion was lucky to have the board completely replaced, with full marks to our local Stern distributor with the game out of warranty, but this won't last forever, with earlier Spike 1's becoming unobtainium unless Stern can port these earlier DMD games up to a Spike 2 to maintain serviceability, Spike 1 games are only like 4-7 years old. Could be in for trouble if the older Spike 1 boards become impossible to source.
    Would be good for Stern to offer a Spike 2 alternative just for these games specifically to keep them around longer.
    Be good for George to discuss this a little.

#40 3 years ago

Thanks George. Cool video. I hope you guys keep it up.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

I think a lot of the stern hate would go away if people just new the reason behind some of there decisions like in this video George explains why they moved the power switch most people assumed it was to save a bit of wire and cost cut but in reality it was to help with compliance and make the machines even safer. I bet you find a lot of there "cost cutting" decisions are similar to this one (not all lol but probably quite a few) I really look forward to other videos covering more of these decisions and the reasons behind them as its very interesting. I bet there is all sorts of problems and issues people just don't know about or think of. Any one in design or manufacturing probably has a better idea as will have similar issues id expect. But the end user usually has no idea.

Transparency is always best, I agree.

Of course, for a few dollars at most Stern could have routed an extremely thin low-power wire to a bottom-cabinet switch to control the PS on/off state, like any cheap appliance can do these days, and avoided any issues with radiation from running full current across the cabinet...

#42 3 years ago

Great video so far...really cool of George/Jack to put the time into making these!

#43 3 years ago

Great video. Nice overview on Spike. Looking forward to more videos. Really like that Wi-Fi updates are coming.

A lot of common questions answered. Just wish there was some acknowledgment that the price of node boards needs to come way down to make them reasonable to have them on hand for maintenance/repair.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Great video. Nice overview on Spike. Looking forward to more videos. Really like that Wi-Fi updates are coming.
    A lot of common questions answered. Just wish there was some acknowledgment that the price of node boards needs to come way down to make them reasonable to have them on hand for maintenance/repair.

Exactly. Since common repair and esp. debugging is much more difficult on node boards vs. older tech, it puts it outside the ability of many owners/operators who used to this kind of electronics work themselves. As a show of good faith Stern should have a program where you can turn in a faulty board for a refurbished replacement at their cost. Not every item in the Stern store needs to come with a massive markup for the company to be successful.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Exactly. Since common repair and esp. debugging is much more difficult on node boards vs. older tech, it puts it outside the ability of many owners/operators who used to this kind of electronics work themselves. As a show of good faith Stern should have a program where you can turn in a faulty board for a refurbished replacement at their cost. Not every item in the Stern store needs to come with a massive markup for the company to be successful.

Well said!!!!!

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I don't think it should be at there cost?? If my tv breaks I don't send in the pcb for a new one for free? They expect me to buy a new one. But stern prices could be far cheaper the quantity they manufacture those boards in they must have a huge mark up on them. Sending in for repair is a good idea but it shouldn't be a free service but cheaper then buying a new board.

#47 3 years ago

I enjoyed this.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but this was the start of a series, yes? When can we enjoy the next one? @deadflip?

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

I don't think it should be at there cost?? If my tv breaks I don't send in the pcb for a new one for free? They expect me to buy a new one. But stern prices could be far cheaper the quantity they manufacture those boards in they must have a huge mark up on them. Sending in for repair is a good idea but it shouldn't be a free service but cheaper then buying a new board.

When Spike was first announced it was sold with the idea that node boards would be cheap enough (around $50) for operators to have spares ready.

Stern wants games to be “disposable” but collectors are going to want them to run for decades like the Bally/Williams games have. This is a long term issue that needs to be addressed.

#49 3 years ago

Yeah i like the system, but not the prices. two to three hundred dollar for 1 node isn't expensive compared to a 6.5k machine.
    But some are really expensive.
    (And hard to get). if i look at the components 599 would be a normal retail price for this cpu. 1295 is ridiculous.

Screenshot_20201006_131857 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201006_131857 (resized).jpg

#50 3 years ago

The node boards are repairable.

The long term solution is people just have to learn to work with surface mount and more complex electronics.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/george-gomez-is-a-class-act-new-youtube-series-?hl=lrrr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.